PDA

View Full Version : Moose rut in December?

XMD70
12-10-2009, 10:57 PM
On my way to work Monday (Dec 07) about 08:30 AM I watched a couple of big bull moose sparring. I watched them butt heads for about 5 minutes, they were still at it when I left. This by the airport in PG. Both had big racks. Quite a sight! It was a very cold morning, lots of steam coming off them. I guess some moose can't read a calendar.

thetackdriver
12-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Seen the same thing happen just the other day up on the hill.

250 sav
12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Worked 20 years in the bush reg 3 bulls dissappear in nov then get all worked up 1or 2 days early dec. only seen them fighting once that time of year but saw lots of sign of it in dec ( blood hair thrashed brush and trees on top of fresh snow) then the middle of the month they dissappear again.

hunter1947
12-11-2009, 07:30 AM
One or the other are telling each other to get the hell out of my area ,these are my cows that live around here LOL.

tomahawk
12-11-2009, 08:40 AM
On my way to work Monday (Dec 07) about 08:30 AM I watched a couple of big bull moose sparring. I watched them butt heads for about 5 minutes, they were still at it when I left. This by the airport in PG. Both had big racks. Quite a sight! It was a very cold morning, lots of steam coming off them. I guess some moose can't read a calendar.

I think one of them has his eye on you!!!

knighthunter
12-11-2009, 09:10 AM
I read somewhere sometime ago, that if a cow moose doesn't get bred the first time around, she'll come in heat again a month or so later. Maybe where them bulls were fighting, there was a cow in heat close by, but you just never saw it. They are only in heat (estrus), I just remembered that word, for 24-36 hours. I'm pretty sure animals don't read a calender to know when to breed. LOL.

coach
12-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I've seen bulls with cows twice this week in Region 8. My friend called to a small bull that was in the same slash as a mature cow and got quite a vocal response. Last year, I observed a bull and cow together at the end of November, while helping a friend fill his LEH. Two years ago, I saw 3 bulls together in a meadow during the November youth season. The next day we returned to the same area, and the road was covered in moose tracks and hair - evidence that these guys must have become annoyed with eachother. It seemed like the moose rut was later than usual up north this year, so it makes sense the second rut might be a week or so later as well.

coach
12-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Just to be clear - that was the November youth deer season.

Jetboat
12-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Saw several younger bulls following behind cows last week. I had a cow/calf pair close in at work and was listening to the calf whining non-stop. When the cow squatted and took a leak, a young bull walked out of the timber, sniffed the pee then proceeded to lip-curl. The bull calf finally shut up when that young bull appeared. The things you see when you don't have a camera.

Bowtime
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Just because the rut is over doesn't mean they want to stop. They must have some unsetttled issues from the start of october.

lilhoss
12-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Cow moose will come into estrus on a cylce of from 15 to 24 hours,1 to 3 times,(if they haven't been bred)and in a 6-8 week period,so being the "horn dogs",that all of us men are,:), you can't blame them for still trying,or at least putting on the show.