PDA

View Full Version : east or west harrison?

r106
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I got a day or two off work and I'm thinking of chasing some blacktails. I've never hunted anywere around the lower mainland and have heard alot about harrision. If I go there is one side better than the other or is it the same sh-t different pile. I have also done a lot of dirt biking up by tamahi and chipmunck in chilliwack and up in the nicklemine area in hope. This is my first year hunting so I never looked for "sign" in the past. But in the 8 years or so I've been riding there I have never seen a deer. Are they woth checking out? I'm still lokking for my first deer and I'm not givin up until dec 15 LOL

Thanks

duckhunt
12-09-2009, 07:10 PM
east harrison is were i have seen the most deer.

Steeleco
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
East side!! Try getting east of what used to be the Bear creek rec site. There's a series of roads that will take you into a fairly big valley. Not been in there for a few years, but there are critters around there somewhere.

r106
12-09-2009, 08:37 PM
cool, thanks guys east of harrison it is. anyone been up there recently how are the roads? I plan on taking my truck as far as i can then walking. is the access good there?

12-10-2009, 01:47 AM
stick to the area around the lake

ElectricDyck
12-10-2009, 05:50 AM
The main roads are usually in good condition because of the logging.

gamer
12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Just got back from Harrison east. Heavy logging pressure and busy roads. Counted three does and five or six grouse. Every road we travelled turned to a sheet of two inch thick ice as you get higher. Road thru to Boston Bar is not passable due to such ice just after the turn onto Shovel Creek Rd. Loads of sign in the bush, but , very difficult to hike thru the thick shit quietly.

Maverick7
12-11-2009, 03:18 PM
get a bow or xbow and check out texada. youll get your first second and third.

Kudu
12-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Just got back from Harrison east. Heavy logging pressure and busy roads. Counted three does and five or six grouse. Every road we travelled turned to a sheet of two inch thick ice as you get higher. Road thru to Boston Bar is not passable due to such ice just after the turn onto Shovel Creek Rd. Loads of sign in the bush, but , very difficult to hike thru the thick shit quietly.

Yea I can vouch for that - that's where I got stuck last Sunday - (Boston bar side) went about 20 km on hard compacted \ frozen snow then fell through - seven bloody hours to get out - paid my school fees.

Kudu
12-11-2009, 03:27 PM
get a bow or xbow and check out texada. youll get your first second and third.

Thought about that - bloody expensive to get there from Surrey though.

twoSevenO
12-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Thought about that - bloody expensive to get there from Surrey though.

not to mention Texada deer are like 50 lb each, and the fact that you will without doubt be harassed by tree-huggers (or so i've heard).

r106
12-11-2009, 08:42 PM
So I went up there today for the first time. Found some nice spots One spot looked really good but someone beat us to it, so we went further up. Most of the cut blocks up where we were are only a year or two old and eventually got turned around by 3 inches of Ice on the road so we went back down to a 4-5 year old block found some sign. A little rub or two some scat that was not frozzen yet. and in the middle of all the sign a half eaten doe. From my guess it's was a day old. But it was still the most sign we have seen all day so we set up on the other side of the cut, but nothin showed. But still a good day

gamer
12-12-2009, 12:52 AM
That doe carcass was there wednesday morning. Was suprised it still stunk seeing as how it was so cold.

twoSevenO
12-12-2009, 01:03 AM
how far up the road were you guys?

gamer
12-12-2009, 01:10 AM
I went as far as the fork at Shovel Creek Rd. and had to turn around due to ice. Somewhere around 25-30km north of lake. All the frozen waterfalls sure look cool.

r106
12-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Ooops 2-3 days old. How long does it take for the carcas to freeze? It' didn't seem fozen more than half way through?

Did one of you guys have a green truck and white canopy ??

Ya all the frozen waterfalls and rivers looked really cool

ruger#1
12-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Yea I can vouch for that - that's where I got stuck last Sunday - (Boston bar side) went about 20 km on hard compacted \ frozen snow then fell through - seven bloody hours to get out - paid my school fees. Thats never fun, Im going to buy one of these for times like that. But im not to sure about the strength of the cable. http://www.lewiswinch.com/ They are out of New Westminster, British Columbia.

Danielcan
09-24-2013, 02:24 PM
not to mention Texada deer are like 50 lb each, and the fact that you will without doubt be harassed by tree-huggers (or so i've heard).

I'm sure you have Texada mixed up with Bowen Island. The people on Texada are laid back easy going types that wave at opposing traffic. Wave at some one on Bowen Island and they look at you like your touched in the head, wave at them while wearing full cammo and holding a gun and they'll probably call the police because gun hunting isn't allowed on Bowen, only bows, and only if you live there, and are a member of the archery club there, and get permission from the local RCMP.