PDA

View Full Version : Best possible cat hunting set up. No dogs

BiG Boar
12-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Looking to head up some where for Lynx/bobcat this year. I have found 4 sets of tracks so far but dont think I have the right set up. What would I want for equipment and what not? I have a 2 person blind with a propane heater, but just a sako bolt action 22 which is dead acurate at 50 yards. Havnt tried shooting it much furthur than 100 yards with a 1 foot drop. Also have a bow, but dont know how close they will come in. I dont know which call is best, had a foxpro in mind, not sure which model, was at cabelas the other day and they had 10 different types ranging from $40 -$500. How do I best hunt them? I have access to a sled. Any suggestions would be great as to how to get er done.

KB90
12-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Your in the same boat as me. It is my winter goal to get a cat.

From what I have read and seen here. For the most part you can expect to sit a bit longer than calling in coyotes as they are apparently more cautious and stealthy when coming in.

I've also heard and seen since they are cats it is good to have some type of flashy thing to attract them. My friends dad was a trapper and at his traps he would use tinfoil.

As for a call i would think it really depends what you want to spend. Foxpro seems to be the big name out there. I am going to go with the foxpro spitfire 1/2 much money and still comes with 24 sounds of your choice.

Most people I've talked to don't use a blind but im sure they would work and they would keep you warm :)

Snowshoes depending on where you are going. Nothing sucks more than falling through the snow.

Keep in mind I have not even seen a cat but I thought I'd share what I have picked up on.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
If I were you....I pick up one of the higher end Foxpro models with a jack-in-box. While shots for cats are generally not that long(since they and their prey like the thick stuff), I'd opt for something with more range than a .22.

Use that sled to find a bunch of sign and start calling! Your blind might come in handy.

SSS

BiG Boar
12-09-2009, 01:35 PM
What gun would be ideal? 223? 243 with a lighter load? Or just down-load some of my 270 WSM TSX bullets?

todbartell
12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Find the lynx sign, set up JITB decoy, snowshoe distress (hi pitch) on a foxpro, set up downwind of some thicker regen Pine, or other rabbit infested cover. Id use a 17hmr or 22 mag, although Im sure a 22lr with a velocitor or stinger would work inside 75y

A buddy of mine blew a lynx almost in half at close to 400 yards with his 243. Id pick something a bit smaller

ROEBUCK
12-09-2009, 01:54 PM
personally i would not call with only a rimfire on cats!!

you have more chance of a wolf coming in than a lynx, even if you find fresh lynx tracks, and there is always a chance for a couger to come in !!
the 2 lynx i called in both did not leave the fix stuff, and a rimfire wont find its way through thick brush as a centrefire will.
you do risk fur damage with a centrefire!
but i would rather take that risk than be undergunned on a wolf or couger!
leave the blind at home unless you like carrying loads of gear!!
if you could pack a centrefire and a rimfire that would be ideal ,but lots of stuff to pack in deep snow!
ive had success with snowshoe hare distress calling!!

Barracuda
12-09-2009, 02:02 PM
You do have the chance that a coyote or a really big puddy tat will visit also take a centerfire instead.

hounds are a fun way to chase a cat :mrgreen: you know deep down inside you really want to use honds LOL:-D

Jagermeister
12-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Rifle wise, .223 or .22-250. Some say that the .223 is too light for wolf, but if they are coming in close, IMO, it would work fine. It's like telling a person that you should not use a .243 on moose. It all depends on the person behind the rifle and how well the firearm in dialed in and how well the person can shoot.

srupp
12-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Hmmm GOOD LUCK Dave....its been your year..so GO BIG...

hmmm I hope to be able to go on a cougar hunt this winter...kinda have something "on the go" hopefully works out as I would love to harvest a BIG cat...

cheers and good luck..

steven

ps Susan says HI to Corey and you...:mrgreen:

todbartell
12-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Some say that the .223 is too light for wolf, but if they are coming in close, IMO, it would work fine.

Ive done it. 75 yard shot with 55gr Nosler BT. Wolf was down within 3 seconds

BlacktailStalker
12-09-2009, 08:31 PM
.223, .243 and a 270 will ruin any cat hyde.
Use the .22 if thats all you have but a .17 hmr is better or even better than that a .22 mag.

todbartell
12-09-2009, 08:48 PM
.223, .243 and a 270 will ruin any cat hyde.
Use the .22 if thats all you have but a .17 hmr is better or even better than that a .22 mag.

how about a 50gr @ 1800 fps out of a 223? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

olharley guy
12-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Howdy, .223 works just fine out of a mini for wolves and coyotes-never tried it on a cat though. Later

BlacktailStalker
12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Give 'er !

Olharley maybe on dogs no problem, heck shoot them with slugs in the guts but cats have thinner skin, I know of a taxidermist whos mounted over 400 cats and he says more cats come in ruined from the ones I mentioned than anything else, just passing it on so nobody ruins something they hope to mount, makes no difference to me though.

Dirty
12-09-2009, 08:51 PM
300WM with a 165 grain TSX at book max. :mrgreen: 0 pelt damage at 50 yards. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

olharley guy
12-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Give 'er !

Olharley maybe on dogs no problem, heck shoot them with slugs in the guts but cats have thinner skin, I know of a taxidermist whos mounted over 400 cats and he says more cats come in ruined from the ones I mentioned than anything else, just passing it on so nobody ruins something they hope to mount, makes no difference to me though.

Howdy, you are correct on that point as I used to have to be extra careful while skinning Lynx, as one slip and you could ruin the pelt.
Mine were all caught in traps and dispatched with a .22 if not sleeping peacefully when I returned. later

BiG Boar
12-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Some good information posted here. I will take this all into account. Anyone eles who has hunted this style who has any tips please let me know.

Kudu
12-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Surely one little doggy would be OK?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/m_robinson/K9SniperTeam.jpg