PDA

View Full Version : Deer Scents and Lures

12-09-2009, 01:23 AM
I gotta ask.......do these botttled deer scents really work? You can get deer urine, doe estrus, cow elk in heat scents.....but do they really do the job?

M@B
12-09-2009, 07:28 AM
tried one brand once. nothing I would spend money on again

Nooker77
12-09-2009, 08:33 AM
I've tried a ton of them...may work as a cover sent but never seen it "lure" anything in! Tried the smoking sticks for deer...a few brands during the heat of the rut and seen small bucks walk right through the smoke and not even bat an eye! I only by the "scent away" stuff these days! Cheers

xtremearchery
12-09-2009, 08:56 AM
A friend of mine uses that c'mer deer. He has had lots of positive results with it. Shot all his deer this year with it. The key is find a trail that the deer are actively using, and set up on that. he found that they came to that stuff like it was drug... I'm going to try it next year.

darrin6109
12-09-2009, 08:59 AM
i thought c'mere deer was a deer call?

Cariboospeed
12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Last time I got all comoed up sprinkled ' Swollen Snatch' elk pee all over me, still hunted ever so slowly through the timber, making little squeaky noises with some 'Horny Heifer' blow toy, a little black bear cornered me on a gravel bar and I had to shoot it. The Parker Hale I had at the time was prone to pushing the cartridge in and the extractor not snapping over the rim and jamming. One shot, bear scrambled back into the bush, (mortally wounded), and I took a rock to the bolt of the gun until it closed.

I've sat in thick willows a couple times and rattled, and used a buck grunt call and had whitetail bucks come really close and one was pretty sure he was gonna kick my butt until he smelled me. Probably still smelled like an old ho-cow's whoozit with a side of turd-in-my-pants from the previous experience. Tough to shoot in thick willows, so I gave that up too.

The apple tree in my back yard is the best attractant ever, works for months at a time.

buckwild76
12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
this year i sprayed buck urine on the heels of my boots as a scent drag and i had a monster mature whitetail follow me down a quad trail in alberta, but as luck would have it i never figured this out until he was disappearing into the bush like a ghost. in my experience yes they do work if not to attract at least to cover your own scent.

Chuck
12-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Yes and No..........ask the wife, I'm never wrong!

I recall the bow hunter guy beaten up by the Whitetail buck and all he used was elk juice.

BearStump
12-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Today 07:59 AM darrin6109 i thought c'mere deer was a deer call?Today 07:56 AM

No, it's a baiting powder. buy it in all diffrent sized jugs and put it out for the deer to devour. theory is that they will continue to come back to that spot over and over, to get more.
Hav'nt tried it myself but sound like a good idea if you've got a close spot that you can return to regularly.

kootenayslam
12-09-2009, 01:18 PM
james valley scents...it works...wouldn't use anything else, thats how i got my 164 TYP whity this year.

Shooter
12-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I used some Doe estrous scent this year a bit. I was walking through some timber on an ancient railway grade with the wind in my face. Movement caught my eye and on the side hill above me was a nice little 2 point that hadn't seen me yet. I froze and just watched him parrallel me with his nose to the ground and sniffing the air. After he got about 25 yards ahead of me he stopped and sniffed the air real good and then circled and came down to the grade I was on. When he got to the grade he turned and came straight to me. He came up to 9 yards from me. ( I paced it off) I think he was tracking me while I was walking and after he lost the scent turned around to find it again. So it seems to work a bit.

steepNdeep
12-09-2009, 03:44 PM
No it doesn't work - just ask this guy... he didn't think it worked and covered himself in the juice :lol: :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD5zjUbWpXY

Lee
12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
All my questions ( and concerns ) have been answered.......:-D

ramseeker
10-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Hi where did you purchase the James valley scent

Rayne
10-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Gl this was a post from 6 years ago google it lmao