PDA

View Full Version : Clothing Brands for Hunting..

NitwiT
12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Ok, this time i did a search for this type of info, but didnt really make any head way, other than the 15 some odd pages of useless (seemingly) threads.

Pants/Jacket wise, what brands are your go to brands and why?

Mark

bruin
12-09-2009, 12:18 AM
I use quite a bit of hiking apparel for backpack/rifle hunting, Mountain Hardware, North Face etc. I tried some Sitka for bowhunting and it was good (Celcius Jacket) but pretty pricey.

todbartell
12-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Sitka is slowly overtaking my Browning and Rivers West. Im not saying it is the ultimate, but I like the layer system. It would overtake it faster if it wasnt so expensive!!!!!

huntwriter
12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
No particular brands as long as it is silk, wool and fleece for layering. Outer garment is camouflage. Light six pocket pants and cargo pocket jacket for the early season. Heavier and insulated six pocket pants, or bib coverall plus heavy insulated jacket or 4-in-one parka.

Outer layers are ASAT Camouflage and Predator From Raven Wear and Day One Camouflage. There are many good brands, such as Sitka, but in my opinion they have all one major flaw. Not enough large cargo pockets. Lots of little specialized pockets don't make up for two or four large pockets that can hold your gear such as binos, rangefinders, lunch and water bottles.

7mag700
12-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Remington brand camo - because it was cheap at Wally World and matches my rifle brand :tongue: Plus it's fairly quiet, and warm enough for hunting up here.

7m7

coach
12-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Rivers West Jacket and Pants. Waterproof, windproof, light weight - for the most part I really like them. The biggest issue I have are the pants are too warm for hiking. I will be purchasing a lighter weight (spyder) pair for next season. I'd like to try the Sitka gear, but price is a barrier. I have a Remington jacket that I purchased years ago from Wally World, and have to agree with 7mag700 - it's pretty good stuff for the price and makes a great backup jacket.

Dadawa70
12-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Browning XPO.

pitbell
12-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Sitka Gear.

It's pricey but it's the best out there for guys who want technical clothing in a camo pattern.

KB90
12-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I dream of being able to afford sitka gear or browning, but that's not realistic :)

At Canadian Tire they have this Yukon Camo. I got pants, an insulated water proof jacket, and a fleece jacket. All for 130 bucks. It is dirt cheap, feels nice, its quiet, BIG pockets (in the pockets is about a 5 shell holder which is pretty cool.)

It isn't any fancy camo pattern but I think it looks pretty good.

The best part is they have a bunch more of the stuff just as cheap, heavy winter jackets, winter coveralls, T-shirts, insulated pants. So for less than price of a sitka jacket I could have 7-8 pieces of camo for all seasons.

I know its obviously not the greatest quality but it keeps you warm and dry and does not break the wallet.

mijinkal
12-09-2009, 10:06 AM
I bought the ELITE performance series from ASAT camo this summer. http://www.asatcamo.com/
I haven't used it much yet, but so far, so good. I used it in -5 weather a couple weeks ago and was warm enough because I layered right.

BiG Boar
12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
cabelas gortex jacket and pants outer layer, inside layer is flece, then a merino wool shirt. Fleese pants and merino wool long underwear if needed. Layers is the key.

ChilliwackWinchester
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Any wool is a great under layer to start. Keeps you cool when it's warmer (wicks moisture) and warm when it cold. Even when wet, wool will keep you warm.
Then go with a less expensive outer shell with the camo print you like. The game are probably less picky than we are when it comes to the different types of print

JeffR
12-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Any wool is a great under layer to start. Keeps you cool when it's warmer

X2

I use army surplus wool pants and a columbia wool jacket for most trips. They both work great, and the pants are dirt cheap and last forever.

watson721
12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
rocky gear is also not to bad for the price eathier

2x4x16
12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
If I could afford it I would have all Sitka gear. I have some various pieces not complete pants and jacket. I think its the best that you can buy. That being said I have Rivers West gear and love it. Well priced for its performance. The only true water proof gear - however when one is really pounding the mountain side it does not breathe well - that is where the Sitka Gear shines. My next set is light weight Sitka gear!!!

Benthos
12-09-2009, 07:03 PM
i have some of the cabela's MT050 camo and absolutely love it.

warm, quiet, gortex, windproof, the stuff is just awesome. a bit pricey though

Big7
12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
I wear the same clothing hunting as I would laying out a cut block in the bush...good quality but not something like Sitka...you have to be on glue to spend $80 for gloves? Come on, it ain't that good!

The Paradox underwear from costco is great, I've worn it for DAYS in the bush so far this fall/winter and completely satisfied.

Articles of clothing like "Sitka" are meant for suckers! For example, a rain jacket from Helley Hanson (the type of jacket I wear for work for eg.) is around $80-90. HH had exclusive rights to the material and lost it a couple of years ago and now you can buy the SAME jacket in Pioneer brand for $40!! Is it worse quality? No. You just pay less.

All this "best part of Sitka gear is the layering system" talk is B.S. You can't tell me that layering is something new?! I could go into Value Village and pick up a pretty good "layering" system for $40!! Layering is nothing new and for those folks that know about dressing for any occasion mother nature throws at you, have been doing it for years.

Not trying to bash those of you who love Sitka gear, if you have the money, it is good stuff but....it ain't that good! $60 for a beenie touque? Come on....

muledeercrazy
12-09-2009, 07:16 PM
waterproof washable wool from cabelas, or the windshear fleece is pretty nice but i still like the wool. pretty pricey but you cant go wrong. If you dont like it send it back and get your money back. I like the rivers west stuff and have some of their pants, but if i didnt like them a month or two later they wouldnt take the back for exchange or refund

Hydrojet
12-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Big Bill has some camo gear for a good price and it wears like the rest of their line. Stanfields, poly pro thermal some camo pattern fleece from big bill and the weather proof insulated outers from them too. They have the insulated 6 pocket pant and such....it was cheap and wears well.....though the jacket was a little noiser than I would like untill it was washed and worn some but I usually have a wool pullover instead...I do a lot of walking and the jacket is usually a pain in the ass unless it might rain.

vanislehunter1
12-09-2009, 10:16 PM
You can sometimes find great deals on Sitka at cabelas.com in the bargain cave... but they go pretty quick!

Kudu
12-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Base layer Helly Hanson

http://www.hellyhansen.com/images/products/900/48892517.jpg

Second Layer - Helly Hanson

http://www.hellyhansen.com/images/products/900/50390516.jpg

Third Layer - John Scott Geelong Merino Wool Sweater

http://i.stpost.com/erez4/erez?src=ProductImages/87396%5F01.tif&tmp=FullSize&redirect=0

Outer layer - Any Camo shirt you choose - no matter how expensive \ cheap.

bforce750
12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
As long as they keep you warm and dry and DONT SOUND LIKE YOUR OLD SNOWSUIT YOU WORE AS A KID,THERE GOOD.

silentstalker
12-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Grey stanfield top....Brown Carhart pants....I'm granite and a fir stump. West coast camo!

jaywill
12-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I would try sitka if they werent so expensive , that optifade pattern looks solid and apparently its designed based on ungulates vision.

squamishmiles
12-10-2009, 08:36 PM
thinking about an all wool setup, just need a waterproof jacket and where do u get wool pants, prefer surplus army. Just don't know where to get it

Kevin So
12-12-2009, 04:10 AM
Wool pants from the surplus store (most of the surplus stores like Dave's in new west/ gorilla's have them), under armor cold gear underwear(bargan cave at cabela's), some costco fleece, MEC down Vest and a wind/rain pull over jacket. Like to get a decent camo jacket though...Like Sitka stormfronts /coldfronts, but can't justify the cost for Sitka. Maybe Santa would be nice this year...

JeffR
12-12-2009, 09:32 AM
thinking about an all wool setup, just need a waterproof jacket and where do u get wool pants, prefer surplus army. Just don't know where to get it

Got mine from Gorilla surplus on Broadway in Vancouver. They have a few different types. They also had a good deal on CF fleece pants and jackets.

huntwriter
12-12-2009, 09:42 AM
I wear the same clothing hunting as I would laying out a cut block in the bush...good quality but not something like Sitka...you have to be on glue to spend $80 for gloves? Come on, it ain't that good!

The Paradox underwear from costco is great, I've worn it for DAYS in the bush so far this fall/winter and completely satisfied.

Articles of clothing like "Sitka" are meant for suckers! For example, a rain jacket from Helley Hanson (the type of jacket I wear for work for eg.) is around $80-90. HH had exclusive rights to the material and lost it a couple of years ago and now you can buy the SAME jacket in Pioneer brand for $40!! Is it worse quality? No. You just pay less.

All this "best part of Sitka gear is the layering system" talk is B.S. You can't tell me that layering is something new?! I could go into Value Village and pick up a pretty good "layering" system for $40!! Layering is nothing new and for those folks that know about dressing for any occasion mother nature throws at you, have been doing it for years.

Not trying to bash those of you who love Sitka gear, if you have the money, it is good stuff but....it ain't that good! $60 for a beenie touque? Come on....

Made some good points there.

Hunting is about fashion like anything else. Ten years ago Rocky Gear had quite a fan club going. Before that is was Mossy Oak and now it is Sitka Gear. Give it a few years and you can buy Sitka at Wal-Mart just like you can buy now Rocky Gear there too.:wink:

flyhigh_206
01-18-2010, 01:51 PM
wrangler blue jeans and carhart work jacket hahaha havent had any problems with them yet.

Sitkaspruce
01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
[quote=flyhigh_206;607491]wrangler blue jeans and carhart work jacket hahaha havent had any problems with them yet.[/qoute]

Until it rains, and then what do you do?????

Pulled way too many people out of the bush with just this on.....

Cheers

SS

redthorn
01-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Wool, wool, Wool. I like the columbia wool system, my old military surplus pants and sweater, and I''d really like to be able to afford some of that Sleeping Indian worsted wool in winter camo.

Yes, I do still wear layers, and if it's really wet out, I'll put on a military surplus rain suit(british camo). If it's pouring rain, having a "quiet" set of raingear is redundant with all the noise of rain on the trees and leaves.

That being said, I have a nice cotton set of military surplus for spring/early fall warm weather hunting. You can still find some of these around, they are a British NBC suit. Basically, for $45 you get a pattern and color that works like no other in our coastal forests, and it is fully charcoal lined (it's a Nuclear-Biological-Chemical protective suit, hence NBC) The only drawback is the lack of pockets, but the main front one is large enough for binos/rangefinders, knife, calls, etc. Here's a pic of me in one from the spring. http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/bearmain.jpg

Don't spend enough money on a piece of clothing that you'll ruin your trip if you rip it on the first day.

dutchie
01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
anything with E-Vent is the way to go... It is 10 times more breathable then gortex and more waterproof.

Integral designs makes Pack light gear that is very light and durable. It comes in Green and Black but it is by no means quiet.

I have herd many negitive and positive things about Sitka, but TB has talked very highly about rivers west stuff in the past.

I hate my browning XPO stuff with a passion. 10 mins in the rain I am soaked. THIER GORTEX IS ABOUT AS GOOD AS A COTTON SHEET.

Mrs. Elkhound is going to have some pretty awsome looking stuff coming in soon, and it is supose to be darn good... I have not put my hands on it or tried it on yet tho.

Dutchie

tackdriver
01-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Wool because its reasonably cheap and will keep you warm even when soaked. Then cheap coleman camo from crappy tire over top.

Dually Guy
01-18-2010, 06:43 PM
anything as long as its waterproof and brethable, but mostly good hiking gear i find

swampthing
03-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Go sitka. Ibought mine one piece at a time to spread out the cost. Its expensive but it is a new level of clothing.

Shooter Jr.
03-05-2010, 08:56 PM
I have some Asat and some Maddog camo. The maddog's fairly waterproof but the elastic cuffs and bottom are very tight. The Asat's nice in colder weather but mines not waterproof

Phreddy
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Marks Workwear World brand for me.

dave_83golf
03-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I just ordered the 90% Sitka Pants and Jacket in Optifade with the Traverse T as an under layer/September outwear. I cant begin to tell you how excited I am to throw this stuff on for the first time. :mrgreen:

valleyHunter
03-06-2010, 10:48 AM
the under armour camo is not bad