PDA

View Full Version : Lynx to the taxidermist

Blainer
12-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Not the most exciting of stories,but a couple 2 or 3 weeks back I ventured out in pursuit of another mulie buck.I had watched the weather and chose a nice day for hunting and at the very least would enjoy some fresh air and exercise.After no action in the a.m.,I had just parked and was about to get geared up for a little hike when something caught my attention.At first I was not sure what it was,but thru my glasses,I could see it was a cat.
Now let me say that I'm the type of hunter who carries tags for many,if not all,the species that are open in an area.I have had others tell me that it is a waste of money,but at just over $130 to fill my gas tank and along with all the other expenses that go with hunting,the cost of tags are cheap.I always explain that living on the coast and hunting is not about trying to obtain cheap meat and I believe that game is by far the most expensive meat in my freezer after you take into considerations all of the expenses like fuel,accomodations,butcher,ect.
With that said,my one advantage was that I had purchased both a bobcat and lynx tag back in October.My disadvantage was that I was carrying far too big of stick.I have a new 22-250,but unfortunately was not my gun of choice on this trip.
After some deliberation and a patient cat,I decided to take the opportunity and I will now patiently await it's return from the taxidermist.
It will be made into a 1/2 mount coming from the wall.
I had a friend play with the pictures to compensate for the blood and try to pull the best from what was taken with a timer.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/linx-01.jpg

Ruger4
12-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Congrats Blainer .... should look nice :mrgreen:

ROEBUCK
12-08-2009, 05:38 PM
congrats on the cat ,awesome!!

why just a shoulder mount ??

Steeleco
12-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Nice touch there Blaine, I like the B/W background and the coloured kitty.

1/2 slam
12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Nice touch there Blaine, I like the B/W background and the coloured kitty.

Very cool picture. Photoshop is a great tool. I used to take a roll of B&W film for some of my trips. Got great results. Now with digital it's way easier.

Blainer
12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Congrats Blainer .... should look nice :mrgreen:Thanks Ruger4
I gotta ask you if that is a lynx in your avatar?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=10830&dateline=1260224531 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=10830)

Not that I'm a cat expert,but it looks like a big cat.

Jagermeister
12-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Sure looks like a bobcat to me.But nice pussy nevertheless.

Blainer
12-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Sure looks like a bobcat to me.But nice pussy nevertheless.
I think it's the picture that gives you that impression,as the coat is actually much lighter than the picture indicates,and the tufts on the ears don't show well in the picture or the ruff (beard)for that matter.
I did the best I could with the picture,but not the greatest,but definately a Lynx and confirmed by taxidermist.
As it happens,for $8 ea.,I did purchase both a bobcat and lynx tag,just for that purpose,in the event you made a bad call with identifying in the field.
They are both open the same day in the area that I hunted.

Blainer
12-09-2009, 07:17 AM
why just a shoulder mount ??I had seen some 1/2 mounts on-line that I liked.
It gave the appearance of coming thru the wall and crawling on to some rockery.
These taxidermists can do amazing stuff .
I will also give some consideration to a wood stand with a 1/2 mount at a turn.These new stands that are available are great as you can move your trophy to new locations as you please.

hunter1947
12-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Good one on the cat ,will look good when you get it back from the tax ,congrats on getting this cat http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

BiG Boar
12-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Wow, lucky dude! I really want a lynx or any cat for that matter, and bought all the tags this year. Now I will be forced to buy a new gun, electric call and a sled.

Blainer
12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Wow, lucky dude! I really want a lynx or any cat for that matter, and bought all the tags this year. Now I will be forced to buy a new gun, electric call and a sled.
No recession in the Bigbore household.
You have had a banner year,New Zealand,Africa,Grizzly hunt,and it would not surprise me at all for you to land a cat.
Good luck.