PDA

View Full Version : grouse / rabbit near vancouver

scott
12-08-2009, 01:25 PM
I want to head out this weekend for grouse (last opening) and rabbit I guess since It's still open as well. but I can only make it a day trip.

where near vancouver should I be looking?

any tips? never shot either. (or anything...) I'll be bringing a .22 and 12 gauge.

seanps
12-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Scott:

You should try doing a search for this: It's been asked a bunch of times in the last few months (including by me!).

I can't speak of anything east of Vancouver, but I usually go up past Squamish to the Squamish Main FSR. No rabbit to speak of, but you can find grouse there earlier in the season.

This time of year, however, it seems they've all moved out of their usual spots and may be up in the thicker timber. There's also a lot of pressure from deer hunters there lately. I really wouldn't hold out any hope of finding a grouse in that area. I know I've certainly given up.

Perhaps some of the guys can tell you about spots off the 1 East/Coq, but I'm guessing there's a lot of snow up there right now?

Bpower
12-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I was up in the Skagit Valley about three weeks ago and came across six grouse and one little white rabbit. I saw them all on spur roads. They were all a bit to quick for getting a shot off though.