PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know good mountain sheep book

Call of the Wild
12-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Info on mountain sheep books

Hi, I知 interested to obtain some books/documentations about mountain sheep hunting. With the experience and passion on the subject from members of the forum I think some of you might have some suggestions.

I知 planning to start hunting the mountain for elk and sheep in Alberta and BC with my brother next year. I知 doing my research presently for equipment, clothes, gear etc. I知 assuming books about mountain sheep hunting would describe my needs and basic guidelines on how to find and hunt mountain animals.

I appreciate any tips.

Thanks in advance

Call of the Wild

Maxx
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
http://www.tonyruss.com/

this is a good place to start, sheep hunting in Alaska is a good book.

whitetailsheds
12-08-2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30689&highlight=sheep+hunting+books

Look under the "search" area, there are a few other books not listed here. The one I mention in there, "People and Peaks of Willmore", has alot of the history, lots of big 'ol bighorns, and mentions many areas. Good Alberta read...

bigneily
12-08-2009, 03:00 PM
i saw an advertisment for a book called great rams and great ram hunters 2, looks like a good book..

Devilbear
12-08-2009, 03:35 PM
You can obtain a LOT of very sound advice on mountain hunting gear right here as there are a number of experienced and knowledgable guys here. I would prefer this over reading books by various writers, some of whom "might" be credible and others not so much......

Big Whiteys knows his sheep and has posted a very sound gear list and there are several others. You might start with telling us what gear you have now and a realistic idea of how much you can spend on getting what you need.

You DO NOT need a roomful of highend gear to hunt BC mountains, BUT, you DO need really GOOD boots, optics and pack, in that order. There are LOTS of great deals to be had on lightly used gear, I find wonderful stuff on various backpacking forums and so can you.

Buy the VERY best gear you can possibly afford and it DOES make a difference.

brotherjack
12-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Duncan Gilcrest (speeling?) wrote several books on goat and (I think) sheep hunting, including a chapter or two of his personal tips on gear and such. T'was a little dated in some respects, but mostly pretty good stuff.

frenchbar
12-08-2009, 03:46 PM
THE SWEDE has a Jack O Connor sheep hunting book for sale in the buy and sell on the forum.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
stones and bighorns by Chris kind good reading

1/2 slam
12-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Sheep and Sheep hunting by Jack O'connor. Tony Russ's books are very good as well.

Call of the Wild
12-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm searching this forum and an Alberta forum on reliable information about mountain hunting.

I decided to buy Sheep Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ. The book covers many aspects for mountain hunt. I'll start with that book and forums, should find everything I need for a good start.

Call of the Wild