PDA

View Full Version : Last ditch effort, Region 2

NitwiT
12-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey all,

Trying to set up plans to go after black tail deer in the only region left at this time. The lower mainland!

I'm planning to head up towards squamish, and cut up logging roads into 2-6,2-7.

Does anyone have any suggestions for hunting this region? Is the hunt basically the same technique?

On the same note, is it possible to get up into 2 13., 2 14, 2 15 without an airplane?

Thanks!

Mark

Ddog
12-07-2009, 04:00 PM
sorry dude,,couple of regions still going, region 4 is still open, till the 20th and then some in two parts of region.
sorry i cant help with your squamish area but ,,hmmm,,me thinks there are a few that are not piping up so you may be on your own.

Steeleco
12-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Not ever having hunted your list of areas all I can add is they're Blacktails. Thick and steep is where they like to be. If you find some decent sign, work the area hard, they won't be far.

NitwiT
12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
weather man is predicting light rain and flurries in the squamish area on that weekend, assuming deer will bed down, where do you look then? just follow the deer trails?

btw, if anyone knows of a better area in region 2, feel free to post of pm, i'm not sold on that area, theres also around harrison, etc.

Mark

Steeleco
12-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Harrison can be good, but there's a lot of pressure this time of year. There's no other areas still open for deer close to the LML.

If it's raining your chances may be better, but today they're talking snow in the big city, so I think snow will be the order of the day.

ChilliwackWinchester
12-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Too many 4X4'rs around Harrison. You might be better off around Squamish. Chilliwacks not bad, but the truth is, I havn't seen too many bucks around here. Maybe you'll get lucky though. If you do try Chilliwack and are succesfull, let me know. Ross lake used to be a good spot, but I have never had success there myself. I guess this is why most region 2 residents head East for a hunt.

Lone Ranger
12-08-2009, 02:14 AM
Spent all day last Thurs working the Hope area, mostly road hunting cause we wanted to cover more area, but we got in about 15 km of hard hiking up the back end of Skagit Valley/ Silverhope Cr too. There were some tracks up there but that was about it, its getting pretty quiet out there now. Still good way to spend a day though (a bad day hunting's better than a good day at work!). LR

beanshooter
12-08-2009, 09:56 AM
i'm in the same boat, i've been chasing them around the s-t-s for the last month. I found some really good sign in pemby but the season closed before i could connect. I found some old sign in some spots south of whistler but it looks like they've moved on. I have a spot i've found with google earth that i'm going to go check out on thursday and if it looks good I'll be back sat or sun. PM me if you want the results or to join up on the weekend.

betteroffishing
12-08-2009, 10:13 AM
saw a cranker buck up by hope 2 weeks ago. he could still be there , go get im

The Survivalist
12-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Was up on the W. Side of Harrison last sat from 4:30am to about 4:00 in the afternoon. Tons of sign. Fresh snow fall new tracks. No deer. Bagged 1 grouse tho.

Going to try again one last time near the end of this week.. skagit valley.. coq hwy...

12-09-2009, 01:54 PM
make sure you get out of your truck when your hunting.