PDA

View Full Version : Best hearing protection?

Sangstercraft
12-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Hey, what do you guys use for hearing protection when HUNTING (not the range). Has to be quick and easy to put on. Ear plugs take too long to put on when hunting.

Has anyone used ear muffs that amplify small noises but cut out the loud noises? Here's a link to them, let me know if you've used any: http://www.gundogsonline.com/hearing-protection/electronic-hearing-protection/

I almost killed my hearing yesterday with one shot w/o protection. 30-06. DUMB move which I'll never do again.

KB90
12-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Kind of strange, when I shoot at something the last thing I think of are how my ears feel, I don't even notice anything.

Maybe it's something to consider?

brotherjack
12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I used to wear some of those little "plugs on a band" kind of rigs around my neck when hunting (the kind that has a band that goes over your head like full size muffs, but just a little plug that slips in your ear). The idea was, that I'd remember to put them on before I shoot a critter. After 4 years of forgetting to put them on before taking a shot 100% of the time, I quit carrying them.

I'm also in the group that doesn't even notice any ill effects when I shoot at an animal. At the range -- wow, one shot with no protection == ouch. While hunting == don't even notice it.

I might think different if I shot a gun with a muzzle break on it.

Kody94
12-07-2009, 01:36 PM
A trip to Africa will change your mind about shooting unprotected. You might not notice a shot now and then, but it does accumulate. After 10 days and 10 or 15 shots with a 375 H&H, its noticable.

I get my ears checked every year for work. My left ear was starting to get some hearing loss, and I started to notice some pretty bad tinnitis, so I started taking plugs with me when hunting. I got the kind that you just shove in (and if you lick it first, they go in fast). Then I practiced putting them in at the range just before shooting to try and develop a habit of at least thinking of them.

When hunting in Africa it is also important to hear what your Professional Hunter is telling you...so, knowing that its my left ear that required the most protection, I started just putting a plug in the left and leaving the right unprotected. If you are a right handed shooter, your right ear is somewhat protected by the stock and your shoulder, so its not as bad as leaving the left ear unprotected.

Works like a charm anyway. I do it every chance I get (although I still end up having to take the odd shot without plugs in either ear).

gamehunter6o
12-07-2009, 02:59 PM
As above, right handed shooter lose of high pitch hearing is greatest in left ear, and vice, versa.
Always try to get your rifle barrel out past that tree, rock or whatever to reduce back blast.
Muzzle brakes are murder on ear drums.

303Brit
12-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I have 2 set of noise cancelling eardefenders, that we trailed for flightline usage. They work alright, I have taken them to the range before. They do work good on open ranges and reasonable on covered over ranges. My sets are the lower profile peltor ones, you may find those ones are bulky and cumbersome when trying to rest your check and set up a shot. When I go hunting I will throw a plug into my left ear.

I don't notice sore ears from one or two shots, but if you end up shooting next to some rock bluff or anything for the sound to reverb off of it can have a profound impact. I started wearing plugs when I waterfowl with other people. Not becuase the noise bothers me, but becuase I have a job on the flightline at an airbase(not a super busy airbase) and am around constant noise somedays for my entire shift. So I don't need any extra noise damage

IMO you best bet is a set of the Custom molded ear plugs, they make once that are noise cancelling as well. There is a guy on the island that does them he comes to the outdoors show and such. He will put them on a lanyard for you as well.

heres a link to give you an idea
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/jbcuearpl.html

P.S I had a pair of customs and loved them, I will be replacing them.

BearStump
12-07-2009, 04:12 PM
What? can you speak up! I can't hear what your'e typing.

SAVAGE300
12-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I wear hearing aids while im hunting or at work they are the cats ass, they have an auto shut down program, they momentarily turn off when they hear a loud noise, ie: a gunshot before it gets to my eardrum. I was a automotive tech for 25 years so I guess impact guns, air shisels and air drills have taken its toll, they are covered by WCB

MikeH
12-07-2009, 04:35 PM
http://www.peltor.com/peltor.com/comm_detail.cfm?prod_family=Comtac&ind_prod_num=MT15H68FB-08%20SV001
Peltor makes great ear defenders used this type over sea's.They amplify sounds pretty good, if you go muff style that aren't amplified you won't hear shyte.Or go the cheap way they work well.http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/other_accessories/6022.htm.I agree with yeah SSSSter over time it catches up with you.I know tooo well.

gamehunter6o
12-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Take up bow hunting?:lol: