PDA

View Full Version : 09 MJ Ram Reg.3

~T-BONE~
12-06-2009, 10:33 PM
It all began September 4th scouting an area that High Caliber had been fumbling with as an area that could contain a good number of Bighorns. To our efforts we came across a band of 11 ewes and 6 lambs. Eventually we found a small 3/4 curl off in the distance just disappearing into the timber. We decided to move on and as we did, I could hear something that sounded like wooden blocks banging together. Peering cautiously over a hogback there were not just 2 but 4 rams all ¾ curl or bigger, one of which was a full curl but with further viewing of the video at home we determined he was too close to be a mature full curl. The following day, luck was on our side again as we spotted the same band of rams again but this time they were on the road, bedded!!!! Wow, with these kind of sightings, we left excited for the season opener.
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/Highcaliberbc/200909051935271.jpg
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/Highcaliberbc/200909051935272.jpg

The afternoon before opening day, we headed out with 4 days of pursuit in front of us, only to be discouraged by the amount of sheep hunters we ran into. We hiked around running into tenters, campers and 7 different vehicles in this tight area. With this presure we decided to go into a different valley than where we had previously scouted, for opening morning. As it had to be, we ventured down into this hole which to me was big buck habitat. A couple hours from the truck I started focusing on deer, accidently! Jabe glassed into the rocky basin spotting a few ewes. When I worked my way back realizing our intentions and was cautioned to slow up. We glassed and worked our way lower down the ridge with no further sightings the temperature was rising, close to 30 degrees. With no sightings mid day, we separated to cover more ground and glass more country. I found myself getting bored as I became fidgety, I began to tumble boulders into a steep drainage. I decided to make my way back up to our packs for some food and water. I chilled, had some fluids and a snack and swatted all the hornets away from the salami casing that I had been munching on then, booooom!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!! I ran down the hill only to see J frantically looking down into the hole where I was rolling the rocks down into. I yelled at him “what happened” he replied “I think I smoked him!!! He reared up and dropped back into the chute!!!!” Well as luck would have it, all our combined efforts could not get us down to where the ram would be. Steep, nasty slid out bluffs stopped our efforts, even J being an accomplished goat guide outfitter left him desperate for ways to try to find and recover his trophy. So a plan was made to search the next day by dropping down to the very bottom of the main drainage and coming up the side drainage where the Ram had went down. Again, we found ourselves spending the night on the mountain with limited provisions and rationing our water. After a restless night on a rocky bed, we dropped down near to the bottom of the mountain and did our best to get into this craggy drainage from below but there was no chance from this side. We decided to go back to the top and try to come down the other side. We backtracked and headed towards where the shot was taken, only to spot the bruiser bedded on a shear cliff 100 yards lower from where he was initially shot. The Ram was obviously in his death bed but still able to move. J was not packing his riffle as this was supposed to be a recovery mission. J said “Just finish him, we don’t need him to suffer, You have earned this Ram as well, make the shot” I lined up for the 270 yard downhill shot. Just as I was to pull the trigger the ram jumped up and headed for the gorge. I shot just as he went out of sight. He vanished for seconds then we could see him tumble in the chute and again, disappearing lower into this hole! But he didn’t come out the bottom, so we knew he was done. We knew we couldn’t get to him with the gear we had so a plan was made to go to town and make some phone calls. We contacted some friends who are professional rock climbers to come out and help us recover the trophy. The following morning we ended up with a great turn out of buddies, with gear and all fired up to see the trophy. We ended up repelling down to where we could see the Ram at the bottom. We utilized about 350’ of rope to get to the Ram. There is nothing like those last few steps as it gets bigger every step closer. It did not take long with the help we had to get him out of there, since everyone wanted to beat the heat and there were beer on ice back at the truck. Hours later found us back at the truck horns and beer in hand, and whole bunch of memories of well deserved trek. What a hunt, What a Trophy.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/Highcaliberbc/DSC00503.jpg
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/Highcaliberbc/DSC00524.jpg

yiorgo3
12-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Great pictures and story. Thanks for sharing!!

Lance Barkman
12-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice Ram!!! Great Story!!! So did you end up with a full curl ram? or was it a 3/4 leh ram? What does the ram score? I am thinking about archery deer hunting out in region 3, and trying to ease my way into the sheep hunting. R u and your buddy typically successfull at sheep hunting in region 3?

BlacktailStalker
12-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Good story and even nicer ram, well done.

blackbart
12-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Great story, the picture back at the truck looks a lot like a dall sheep:)

Were you able to recover the meat? Just curious given the temps, hornet stories, sunglasses and shorts.

Not too many full curls get shot in that area. Well done.

todbartell
12-06-2009, 11:38 PM
great ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

kwasky
12-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Way to go. Sounds like a crazy trip.

Maxx
12-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Huge Congrats, great ram and story!

Bighorn hunter
12-07-2009, 08:19 AM
very nice ram and a great hunt to remember for years to come

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-07-2009, 08:45 AM
what a story thanks for sharing one hell of a ram!!

hunter1947
12-07-2009, 08:51 AM
By the looks of it you really earned this sheep ,pic and story are right up town ,congrats to you and your hunting partners on filling this sheep taghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

12-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Great Ram! I'm glad you were able to recover him.

Gateholio
12-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice ram and great recovery effort!:-D

Hydrojet
12-07-2009, 10:40 AM
always knew you two were crazy! good job

Mik
12-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Sounds like an heck of a trip. Its always nice to have friends that can help. Great ram.Excellent pics, Congrats.

boxhitch
12-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Good going, great story of a tough recovery.
From the story so much could have gone sideways, but it all worked out for you guys.

Rolling boulders in a hunted area ? Flushing strategy ?

mark
12-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Awesome pics and story! I think the harder ya have to work for a critter, the greater the trophy and better memories!

High Caliber
12-07-2009, 07:12 PM
It had to be a mature full curl in that zone. I'm hoping it will make book. He will be officially scored at Kent Outdoors on this Sat the 12th at the "Heads Up" scoring session. Hope to see some of you there!

Nice Ram!!! Great Story!!! So did you end up with a full curl ram? or was it a 3/4 leh ram? What does the ram score? I am thinking about archery deer hunting out in region 3, and trying to ease my way into the sheep hunting. R u and your buddy typically successfull at sheep hunting in region 3?

High Caliber
12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Yes we were able to get the meat out, there was alot of trimming back at home though, unfortunatly.

Great story, the picture back at the truck looks a lot like a dall sheep:)

Were you able to recover the meat? Just curious given the temps, hornet stories, sunglasses and shorts.

Not too many full curls get shot in that area. Well done.

ramron
12-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Great pictures and story. How big of a curl and what does he score?

High Caliber
12-07-2009, 07:33 PM
He's in the 170's We will see officially on Sat.

kennyj
12-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Thats a tough area all right.Congratulations on a nice heavy ram.
kenny

rifleman
12-07-2009, 08:29 PM
wow what a nice ram. good job on all your effort. sounds like you had to go the extra mile , cuddos to u!

~T-BONE~
12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
A few more.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCN1103.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15761&ppuser=1677)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/resize9.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15792&ppuser=1677)

ramron
12-09-2009, 08:30 PM
look's like 165 to me .

mainland hunter
12-09-2009, 09:24 PM
nice work, congratulations

Rattler
12-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Great ram! Congrats J that is a beautiful ram.

bighornbob
12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Great ram and only 5 years of age.

BHB

MadCat
12-09-2009, 10:40 PM
nice ram, I'd say 6.5 years old.

bighornbob
12-10-2009, 09:23 AM
nice ram, I'd say 6.5 years old. I'd say you are wrong:mrgreen:

BHB

Kody94
12-10-2009, 10:09 AM
I'd be inclined to say 5.5 yo too.

Nice fricken ram regardless of age. Hopefully he got some breedin' done last year!

bruin
12-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Lots of envious hunters out there, including me. Great ram, you guys definitely earned it. Looking forward to seeing him at Kent this weekend.

blackbart
12-13-2009, 10:31 PM
How did the Dec 12th event go for you and the ram? Can't believe that he is only 5.5.

On previous posts BsHB has been very confident on his aging abilities and as such he must be correct in the age of 5.5. Perhaps he could even be called upon as an expert witness in the future.

bighornbob
12-14-2009, 09:30 AM
How did the Dec 12th event go for you and the ram? Can't believe that he is only 5.5.

On previous posts BsHB has been very confident on his aging abilities and as such he must be correct in the age of 5.5. Perhaps he could even be called upon as an expert witness in the future.

I already have:)

BHB

msawyer
12-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Gentlemen...

Not that I want to interfere with all your congratulatory back slapping, but it occurs to me that our obligation to the animal has been over looked here... It was not reported at what range the first shot was taken but the end result makes it clear that the shot should not have been taken.... Letting the ram suffer for that long is not acceptable...

I'm curious if the second shot actually connected and if it did where on the ram's body did it connect...

Otherwise a great ram...

Best regards

Mike
________
aromed vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/aromed-vaporizer.html)

Jetboater
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
the ram is dead, they made all efforts to recover it....and they did...

Muleycatcher
12-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Gentlemen...

Not that I want to interfere with all your congratulatory back slapping, but it occurs to me that our obligation to the animal has been over looked here... It was not reported at what range the first shot was taken but the end result makes it clear that the shot should not have been taken.... Letting the ram suffer for that long is not acceptable...

I'm curious if the second shot actually connected and if it did where on the ram's body did it connect...

Otherwise a great ram...

Best regards

Mike
Well, hunting isn't always text book perfect. They completed the job and that's all that matters..there isn't a wounded ram wondering the mountains. Congrats on a beauty ram guys!!

Darksith
12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
It was not reported at what range the first shot was taken but the end result makes it clear that the shot should not have been taken.... Letting the ram suffer for that long is not acceptable...

It doesn't make anything clear. Maybe they are shooting a 300 mag that is sighted in at 300yards. Wounding an animal is never the intention, and they recovered the animal. Not the ideal situation but it happens. Nice ram guys, Im super jealous. Congrats

BCrams
12-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I already have:)

BHB

We had a pretty good showdown aging rams at the WSS banquet last spring :mrgreen:

bighornbob
12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
We had a pretty good showdown aging rams at the WSS banquet last spring :mrgreen:

Well they are having it again this year so we can see who the best really is:wink:. Maybe this year I will use an allias so I am allowed to win:mrgreen:

BHB

OutWest
12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Congrats on a great ram! Nice to see there is some guys out there who don't mind doing a little work for their animal!

325 wsm
12-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Bitch of a spot to get m out from.....congrats on the ram

High Caliber
12-15-2009, 10:21 PM
So the Ram officially scored 168 1/8, just missed the book (oh well ). He will still be displayed with honor on my wall. He also will be at the tradex show in March for anyone to admire. FYI, he is 5.5 years old. Thanks to those sticking up for the shot, it is no cake walk out there and not everything goes as planned. What makes a man is how he deals with his situations, no matter how they arise! Thanks to everyone who showed up at the scoring session this past weekend. It was a huge success with 8 animals going BC book of which 3 going P&Y and 1 whitey going Boone. It is great having these animals recognized, remember! It is not about the hunter, it is about the animal deserving recognition.