PDA

View Full Version : Early archery hunting in region 3

Lance Barkman
12-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice. I was thinking about doing an early season archery hunt west and east of Lillooet (3-33, 3-32, 3-17). I know there is tons of rugged territory to explore, and I am quite excited to hike way the heck back into the middle of BF nowhere and find a mule deer haven. I was just looking to see if any of you have been out hunting that way in early september, and If the deer numbers are fairly good. If so how far back from the wintering ground do the deer go back? Can you potentially work your way back deep into this rugged area and find good numbers of bucks? Just a little advice is all I need, nothing like GPS points on where you hunt. ;) Thanks.

ElectricDyck
12-06-2009, 10:40 PM
There's some info on here if you search, people don't like to talk for fear of inviting the internet along on their vacation.

Hunting season's not even over and you're already planning next season?

Lance Barkman
12-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Yep, not seeing too much deer lately, had a successful year. Probably give it one more kick at the can. Yeah I know most people don't like to talk much, but there is a small group of hunters who will put in the effort to walk all day to get to a hunting spot. Typically with that kind of hunt you won't run into to many others. I'm just looking for a yeah huntings good out there you should try it kind of answer....But I am planning to get out there anyways. thanks :)

Wild one
12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
3-33 and 3-32 do not have an archery season and is 4pt Gos for sept. If you are looking for a nice buck and are willing to hike it is worth it. 3-17 does have the early archery season but I have only hunted the area 1 time and did not care for it. If you are looking for any buck for archery I would look else where in my opinion.

Lance Barkman
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
3-33 and 3-32 do not have an archery season and is 4pt Gos for sept. If you are looking for a nice buck and are willing to hike it is worth it. 3-17 does have the early archery season but I have only hunted the area 1 time and did not care for it. If you are looking for any buck for archery I would look else where in my opinion.

Ahhhh good point! I did not notice it was GOS Sept 1 there. Well that changes everything doesn't it. I may have to look further south near Lytton for any early season advantage with the bow. Have you hunted there? There is a section in 3-17 that gets me excited looking at it on the maps, and I think I will hike there just for kicks. I am interested in learning the sheep patterns in those areas as well. Thanks for the response wild one!

Lance Barkman
12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Maybe even reg 2 by Pemberton would be a good try?

ElectricDyck
12-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I would stay away from pemberton it's all shot out from the Proguide crew.:mrgreen:

Foxtail
12-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I have mine planned for region 8... south of merrit

Lance Barkman
12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Nice Foxtail!! See I don't really want to mess up my region 8 tag like I did this year. Although if its big enough who really cares :) I know some good spots in the ashinolas but I'm really looking to try region three so I can still get out mulie hunting around home later on.

treeclimber
12-07-2009, 10:23 PM
google earth shhhhh