PDA

View Full Version : How to bleach deer skull?

capt.T
12-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I am trying to bleach a deer skull. someone told me to use hydrogen peroxide, and not bleach. does anyone have any experience with this?

dave_83golf
12-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Message showtimebc, he should have some information for you

Ddog
12-06-2009, 02:52 PM
yup,,thats right,,,bleach is corrosive and if it is left to long after you finish, the skull will become "chalky" to the touch.
i usually use a higher concentration of peroxide than the regular 6% you buy in the store but have used that in a pinch, just let it soak longer.
if you do a search on it here you will find lots of info from the past same question.
let is soak in the peroxide and careful not to touch the antler if you want them to be natural, but if it does then potassium permanganate will re-brow the white parts.

Buckmeister
12-06-2009, 05:25 PM
I used food grade H-peroxide to do a skull plate and it seemed to do a nice job, use gloves though for your hands cause it sure tingles the skin and will turn your skin snow white for a couple hours if you accidently splash some on. You can get food grade peroxide at a health food store.

capt.T
12-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks. I got a bunch of the 6% stuff, I'll try that. Should I be careful not to soak too long? about how long? 1 hr? day?

Ddog
12-06-2009, 05:53 PM
check periodically, but you will find that the 6% solution is pretty tame, even if it is soaked to long, which i dont know is possible, it comes out nice.
i would check it after a few hours so you know just what it does and how long it should take.

capt.T
12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
thanks Ddog, will give it a try tonight.

Lucky77_
12-06-2009, 06:49 PM
ive herd that you can boil down the peroxide to bump it up...

redcomet
12-06-2009, 06:56 PM
I have found that a very dilute solution of bleach in a large bucket (1/2 cup bleach in at least 5-10 gal pail) of water works well. Just don't leave it in there for several days, keep an eye on it and it will turn white slowly without starting to corrode the bone. On various skulls I even have delicate nasal cartilage intact.

mitchell
12-06-2009, 09:37 PM
i tried poledent desolving tabs for false teeth it worked ok skulls smelt good to