PDA

View Full Version : Cut my last tag today....

rocksteady
12-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Went out bowhunting for whiteys the past couple days....

Cause I got a buck with a rifle I was limited to taking a doe with my X-Bow (Horton)....

Sat in a treestand for about 3 hours yesterday (-12)...damn near froze my ass off, no deer came in...Spooked a couple going in/out of the stand but no shots...:-?

Went to the stand about 8:30 this morning, got set up, had not sat there for 20 minutes when I spy a lone doe wandering through the forest...

She got to a stump that I had ranged at 40 yards and STOPPED...Perfect broadside shot, so I let go a bolt....At the arrow hitting she took off like a shot, but I could tell she was hit really good.....Watched her run for about 50 yards and then lost her in the thick stuff....Heard bunch of crashing/snapping so figured she was toast....

Down out of the stand to where she was standing when I shot her.....Instant nice blood trail, no arrow though....From teh amount of blood I figured she is not going far, so rather than wait the usual 30 minutes, I would just follow slowly.....

Blind man could have almost followed the blood trail....

SHe made it a total of 80 yards before piling up in a heap......Darn doe broke my carbon arrow in half when she flopped over:twisted:

I hit her high in the right side lung and the arrow went though and partially out the left side (went through the lower part of left lung cause of the angle from the 20' high treestand)... I am assuming the arrow was sticking out her left side as she ran away and then when she did her final (or close to final) stumble, the arrow was flung out and broke in half....

I was using the rage broadheads and was pretty impressed.....Broke 1 rib on way in, though both lungs, broke 2 ribs on the way out and still had eneough energy to stick out the left side......

Arrow is toast, but the broadhead should be able to be sharpened and re-used....

Good sized dry doe with an incredible layer of fat....When I went to pull the kidneys (for my dogs) they were each in a big glob of fat the size of a grapefruit....

SHould be some good eatin.....

No pictures, as its just a doe..:-D

sawmill
12-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Outstanding!I just read your PM and thought I better check here.Man she will be some good eating.I just spent the morning making up 20 lbs. of Italian suasage and another 15 lbs of deer burger with fresh garlic,best you can get.Way to go,next year you are not allowed to hunt.:mrgreen:

d6dan
12-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Good going RS. Congrats on punching your tag.:) Now you can get out IceFishing or something?:tongue:

rocksteady
12-06-2009, 02:03 PM
The family does not get into the sausage etc, so we just go for straight up MEAT....Roasts, steaks, cutlets:mrgreen::mrgreen: and burger....

Cmon Sawmill, please can I hunt next year?????:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I will take you with me....

rocksteady
12-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Good going RS. Congrats on punching your tag.:) Now you can get out IceFishing or something?:tongue:

Coyote Hunting as of next weekend, maybe a run with a buddy chasing cougars and then, as soon as the ice is good, fishing for rainbows and then for LING:mrgreen:

d6dan
12-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Coyote Hunting as of next weekend, maybe a run with a buddy chasing cougars and then, as soon as the ice is good, fishing for rainbows and then for LING:mrgreen:

Glad you have an Itinerary worked out:):tongue:

tomahawk
12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Excellent table fare, put up the picture anyways, some of us don't care about the bone, we just like seeing pictures of steaks, roasts and burger!

ratherbefishin
12-06-2009, 02:49 PM
please don't say it was ''just a doe''-it was a fine shot, clean humane kill ,and you recovered the animal,and it will provide fine, natural, hormone free table fare for your family.The fact it was a doe is irrelevent

hunter1947
12-06-2009, 03:14 PM
You just never stop do you Mike ,sure glade there are not many hunter up there where you live like you ,because if there where there would be very little game left for us other hunters LOL :mrgreen:.

Nice going on the WT doe with the xbow ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

rocksteady
12-06-2009, 03:21 PM
please don't say it was ''just a doe''-it was a fine shot, clean humane kill ,and you recovered the animal,and it will provide fine, natural, hormone free table fare for your family.The fact it was a doe is irrelevent

True enough....MOST hunters on this site seem to be interested in antlers/horns/skull measurements etc....Did not hink they would want to see a pic of a "round head"

ROEBUCK
12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
awesome!!

you cant beat the adrenalin rush of a bow kill!!

congrats!!

rocksteady
12-06-2009, 03:25 PM
You just never stop do you Mike ,sure glade there are not many hunter up there where you live like you ,because if there where there would be very little game left for us other hunters LOL :mrgreen:.

Nice going on the WT doe with the xbow ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

Thanks Wayne...Its going to be nice to have a variety in the freezer this winter....moose/elk/deer maybe add some fishes....And by about mid-July I would not be surprised if the freezer is almost empty.....:cry::-|

model88
12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Congrats RS, I spent the last 2 days looking for a whitie for my first bow kill. Had a couple of does walk by where I was set up, drew back on one of them, but she just didnt present a good shot. Then something spooked them. Will be back out next days off :-D

rocksteady
12-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Okay, here's a pic....

Crappy picture....She piled it up in some dog hair thick Fir and even at 09:00 this morning there was very poor light in there.....

Try as I might, for a bout 10 minutes, I tried to put her in a position to get a decent picture, but she would have nothing of it....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/100_0653.jpg

rocksteady
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Congrats RS, I spent the last 2 days looking for a whitie for my first bow kill. Had a couple of does walk by where I was set up, drew back on one of them, but she just didnt present a good shot. Then something spooked them. Will be back out next days off :-D

Keep at it.....With the predicted cold weather coming, they will not be moving too much, so they should still be in the area, and then when the cold snap breaks, they should be moving everywhere trying to grub up....Good luck......You will almost pee yourself when you get your first bow kill...its a whole different type of adrenaline rush......Very addictive !!!

12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
SHould be some good eatin.....
No pictures, as its just a doe..:-D

Way to go Mike, that must culminate one of the best hunting seasons ever recorded. The boys will probably make you buy the first round Friday evening...!

doubled
12-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Well done RS. Wish I could have done the same with my xbow but alas, it is broken.

bowhunterbruce
12-06-2009, 06:51 PM
congrats on the doe dude,i too nailed one this morning and she was my last tag as well
bruce

betteroffishing
12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
i too respect a flatty as much as a bone head , its about the meat freinds , its about the meat.

rocksteady
12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Congrats back at you Bruce.....

Now what are we gonna do????

Sit around and slag everyone else on HBC?????:mrgreen: I don't think so!!

bowhunterbruce
12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Congrats back at you Bruce.....

Now what are we gonna do????

Sit around and slag everyone else on HBC?????:mrgreen: I don't think so!!

well that would bore the chit outta me.im going do a bit of reno work around the house (better chance at scoreing browney points)lol besides my wish list is huge .come the new year i am looking forward to some predator huntin.plenty of coyotes here in the ok.

sawmill
12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
The family does not get into the sausage etc, so we just go for straight up MEAT....Roasts, steaks, cutlets:mrgreen::mrgreen: and burger....

Cmon Sawmill, please can I hunt next year?????:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I will take you with me....

OK,but you have to use a spear next year and if that works too well you have to use a rock.:mrgreen:Rock Steady!