PDA

View Full Version : Late Elk hunt in the Peace, any suggestions?

Ken the Kanuck
12-06-2009, 09:12 AM
We pulled a couple of cow/calf draws for Elk in the Peace and will be going up Jan. 13-18/10. My buddy has lined up a farmer's field outside of Pouce Coupe through the MOE. But any other ideas or advice is always welcome.

KTK

bridger
12-06-2009, 09:33 AM
bring a lot of warm clothes and overproof rum. January weather up here is usually brutual.

ARC
12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I just got back from there with the any elk tag.

One thing I found is some of those fields are huge and you will spot the herd way off in the distance, but with no real chance of sneaking in closer. In this case I would suggest you don't push it too hard and risk spooking them. I would just watch them in the morning, see where they entered the bush, then go and set up a couple hundred yards away - about 3 hours before dark. I did this twice and it worked perfectly.

I watched two separate herds for three days in two separate fields. During mid-week another group of hunters made a push at them in the wide open during the morning. Both herds spooked and never returned.

I just dug a hole in the snow at the edge of the field and waited them out, but it is cold. I would recommend loading up on those hot pads...throw one in each boot and each glove.

Ken the Kanuck
12-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I just got back from there with the any elk tag.

One thing I found is some of those fields are huge and you will spot the herd way off in the distance, but with no real chance of sneaking in closer. In this case I would suggest you don't push it too hard and risk spooking them. I would just watch them in the morning, see where they entered the bush, then go and set up a couple hundred yards away - about 3 hours before dark. I did this twice and it worked perfectly.

I watched two separate herds for three days in two separate fields. During mid-week another group of hunters made a push at them in the wide open during the morning. Both herds spooked and never returned.

I just dug a hole in the snow at the edge of the field and waited them out, but it is cold. I would recommend loading up on those hot pads...throw one in each boot and each glove.

Thanks ARC and bridger appreciate the tips. I have hunted up there before and I know what you are saying in regards to the chill. I'm thinking those Elk might be pretty spooky if they have been hunted for awhile, so your plan sounds like a good one.

KTK

elkdom
12-06-2009, 07:33 PM
on my 2 strategically placed thermometers, this morning at 6 am it was minus-30 Celsius, tonight at 7pm it is minus -28 Celsius, the cold weather hasn't started yet!,,,:)

weather guys say it is supposed to COOL down next week though,,,,:-D

Mosquitos and Tourists are a rare sight recently!:-|

eaglesj
12-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Corlane Sporting Good in Dawson Creek has a list of farmers in the area that you can call for permission to hunt on their land. Give them a call 250-782-2111