PDA

View Full Version : Spring 2010 Grizzly hunting

srupp
12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
I have had the priviledge to meet a few of the members from this and other sites and without exception I have been pleasantly impressed.

There have been too many examples to relate...but I owe this site a LOT..

However today I recieved a phone call from a hunter who wanted to show me something...a photo or 2 or 3 that he had taken this fall and wanted my "opinion ":tongue:...

So between drywall mudding sessions I had this gentleman stop by our home..(Susan left strict instructions to get that main wall finished..)

When my visitor stopped by he explained that he had been out for a couple weeks and on one of his stops encountered this grizzly bear..and wanted to know just what my "impressions " were of this bear, well imediatly I informed my guest exactly where he was when he took the photo..EXACTLY...:mrgreen:...

That brought some laughter and the admission that yes that is where the bear was ..and the location from which the photo was taken from...

The interesting part was the bear...an incredible specimen..in every way..

The head was H U G E..flat like a plate on top and small little ears hung of the sides of the head..the centre of the forehead held a deep crease of muscle only found on mature sizeable bears.. the massive shoulders displayed a bear with incredible size...ending in mitts the size of a catchers glove adorned with thick long chocolat spikes for claws...

The bulk of the bear assured me he was indeed feeding well and was absolutley in the prime of his life and more than ready for hibernation..

His coat was glossy and thick and full and magnificant...

Now the best part..he is without a doubt the largest bear I have ever seen in the past 30 years..period!Yes even Tims...:eek:...

I had a good look at the photos and estmated the bears size and weight..my guest asked me what the tracks would look like and what I could tell from the tracks..

I explained that my "best estimate " would be that in firm ground that these tracks would be 9 " accross.. making this grizzly close to that magic 10 foot bear..

Thats when photo # 4 was passsed my way... it showed the bears track on the ground with a tape across the track ...9" or as close as "damn " is to a swear..

So there ARE INDEED some GREAT looking bears out there,,, STILL and having survived this years hunting season will be there for next years opening....

I know where I am putting MY leh in for Spring bears......:mrgreen:

now back to that damn drywalling.....

cheers

Steven

Steeleco
12-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Great story but not even an inkling of a picture?? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlacktailStalker
12-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Sounds like a brute so yeah I'd love a bear of that calibre, tell me where to put in ? ;)

srupp
12-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Steelco..I was merely priviledged to view the photos they were not mine..

Blacktailstalker..where to put in???where I am..lol

steven

BCbillies
12-06-2009, 12:06 AM
That calibre of bear wouldn't be appreciated by a first timer. I'm all ears and more than willing to travel the distance! :wink:

Steeleco
12-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Suppose we'll have to wait til spring huh :wink::wink:

Gateholio
12-06-2009, 12:10 AM
SOunds great! Good luck on the draw and the hunt!:mrgreen:

srupp
12-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Gate get that KNEE repaired....thers bears in dem thar hills..

cheers

sr

pete_k
12-06-2009, 03:49 AM
you have something BIG to look forward to.
Luck of the draw from here on in.

hunter1947
12-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Very nice wright up surpp ,here are a couple pic from the grizz tracks from the griz that came into our camp to try and take our game meat in the EK.
My running shoe is 12 inches long and 4 inches wide.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1011.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16649&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/108.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16650)

srupp
12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Hunter1947..yes nice bear..but BAD BEAR..

there STILL are some areas that dont get hunted much at all for bears..I would love to go into Spatsizzi..SOME BEARS THERE dying from old age not lead poisoning..

Same in the CARIBOO HIGHLANDS...a few places there have huge bears and LOTS of bears...just need to be in shape and woods wise..not easily spooked.a couple spots NOT the obvious ones along the coast and some lakes up north.... South end of Teslin lake,Ash Lake etc...shouldnt be too difficult with 10 days to see a 8 1/2 footer hit the ground..

I am sorry I dont know much about the Kootenays at all..cant make a educated opinion on that region for much at all including G bears..

Again those successful in drawing permits ..LEHS for spring G bears and would like some experienced advice please dont hesitate to call,,\

As for the BIG GUY if I dont draw the tag I will certainly share this information ONE ON ONE..with anyone that inquires that has the draw from THAT MU....

cheers
Steven