PDA

View Full Version : Targets

Doug Skelly
12-05-2009, 04:14 PM
What is the best field tip and broadhead target on the market for your dollar,I ve been shooting burlap sacs for years,but they are no good for broadheads.

Bowzone_Mikey
12-05-2009, 06:09 PM
there really isnt a great "do all" target on the market ...broadheads will kick the hell out of most anything ....

if you are set on a broadhead target ... I would look at the Rinehart line,
the Morrell yellow jacket is good for broadheads ... but I dont like em for feild points (FP usually fuse to the material)
Look hard at the Glendel products

personally I have a couple of bags for target and I use either Rigid foam insulation or spray (monofoam type) insulation to build my BH targets out of

Doug Skelly
12-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Thank you Bowzone Mikey
You wouldnt happin to know where i can purchace a back stop for shooting at home,or what material is used for it?

hardnocks
12-06-2009, 08:05 AM
the best broadhead target is a bale of peatmoss. put sone more plastic around it and pour some water into it..it will hardin. A good field tip target is a bulldog . should be able to get one called a doghouse for 100 bucks. got a lifetime warrenty.

timbermilton
12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
for FP's i use the bulldog doghouse fp target($100 and has lifetime waranty) and it works great, has about 3000 shots on it and not a single tip through the other side. for BH's i went to home depot and bought the pink 1" insulation foam sheets and cut them to size and used 2x6's and ratchet starps to cinch them down. works great and is cheap so you can make it whatever size you want.

Ruger4
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
there really isnt a great "do all" target on the market ...broadheads will kick the hell out of most anything ....

if you are set on a broadhead target ... I would look at the Rinehart line,
the Morrell yellow jacket is good for broadheads ... but I dont like em for feild points (FP usually fuse to the material)
Look hard at the Glendel products

personally I have a couple of bags for target and I use either Rigid foam insulation or spray (monofoam type) insulation to build my BH targets out of

good advice , i use the yellow jacket for broads and glendel for field points

Bow Walker
12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
I third the votes for Bulldog Targets for field points. Can't beat that typw of warranty!

I'd be interested in trying the bale of peat moss idea for broadheads - in fact, considering the low cost, what is there to lose?

Bowzone_Mikey
12-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I third the votes for Bulldog Targets for field points. Can't beat that typw of warranty!

I'd be interested in trying the bale of peat moss idea for broadheads - in fact, considering the low cost, what is there to lose?
I have done that in the past ... I found it cheap ... 5 bucks for the bale from the co-op and I used duct tape to fix the holes

I also use the Bulldog Targets for feild points ... they are great ... that said .. I have blown my arrows out the back of the original DOGhouse by about 4" ... I just turn the target around and shoot the other side for a while ... I am not gonna try to guess how many arrows I have into it ...but its alot

4ptbuck
12-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I use peat moss for broadhead tuning. Buy a new bale every fall. It goes into the garden after I am done.

For FP, I've used the bags. Mine's about worn out after 4 years. What's this Bulldog thing? Where to buy?

mikeinajeep
12-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I have the a cube with 18 sides by Rhinehard (I think). It is super good for FPs but you will work to get broadheads out. I put at least 2000 arrows into it and it looks new. I don't need a back stop or anything else with it so it is great in the jeep because it is only 18" acoss. I think it cost alot but I think it is worth it.http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_101338____SearchResults

Bow Walker
12-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I use peat moss for broadhead tuning. Buy a new bale every fall. It goes into the garden after I am done.

For FP, I've used the bags. Mine's about worn out after 4 years. What's this Bulldog thing? Where to buy?
Bull Dog Targets are Canadian made and they are great. Get them here...

http://www.bulldogtargets.com/

Doug Skelly
12-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Cant wait, that will be my X mas present to myself.

Dirty
12-10-2009, 06:40 AM
For a back stop for your target you can order kevlar blankets from archery shops. I have no idea how well they work though. I use the Yellow Jacket for broadheads. The thing will swallow field points like Jenna Jameson if I shoot them at it. I need a new target and will definitely be looking at the ones posted here.

Cedarstrip
12-10-2009, 08:10 AM
For my backstop, I hung a curtain of 'Mill-felt", - Used by the paper mills somehow in their production. They usually give it away if you can find a mill still operating.
I have not tried it with BH's but it sure takes the zip out a field-point!

boxhitch
07-07-2011, 11:11 PM
........personally I have a couple of bags for target and I use either Rigid foam insulation or spray (monofoam type) insulation to build my BH targets out ofGood idea an the expanding foam, thanks for confirming an idea I had.
Easy to carry a couple of cans of that and a garbage bag into a remote setting.