PDA

View Full Version : Season Opener

Big7
12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Well now that deer season is over, coyote season is just beginning!

Went out this morning and shot this guy - the first of hopefully many this winter! Shot him with a 162gr Hornady BTSP from my 7RM (haven't had a chance to prep the .22-250 yet) He's got a pretty nice coat and it wasn't ruined at all - small exit.

Cheers, Big7

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/Big7/100_5917.jpg

doubled
12-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Very nice coat.

KB90
12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Congrats!

I can't wait until christmas break. I know what I'll be doing....

Darksith
12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
why do you hunt cyotes?

watson721
12-05-2009, 05:12 PM
why not. there varmints. personally I hate the damn things and I'll kill every single one that gives me a chance

Darksith
12-05-2009, 05:18 PM
was just wondering if/what you do with them. If there is a purpose of shooting them other than b/c you can.

olharley guy
12-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Howdy, when I was up north I was trying to get enough once to make the wife a coat but someone offered me some good money for them so I took the money and the wife never got her coat. Later

EvanG
12-05-2009, 05:54 PM
was just wondering if/what you do with them. If there is a purpose of shooting them other than b/c you can.

Well I am gonna be hitting them as hard as I can this year out in the junction to try and take a bit of pressure off the sheep. Thats my reason.

killman
12-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Nice Big7,

KB90
12-05-2009, 06:08 PM

So I can keep Hunting!
It's going to be my way of getting lots of practice for the fall.

Also the thrill of having a coyote come to your call is awesome!

I plan to skin and flesh each coyote I shoot. Mainly for practice, but they look pretty cool when they are tanned and hanging on your wall.

If a time comes where I begin to shoot a bunch of coyotes I will sell the hides. Sure there not worth much but I'm not in it for the money, and I figure If i'm gunna kill em might as well use em.

Some people don't do anything with them, just kill them for predator control, and that's good too.

Big7
12-05-2009, 06:24 PM
why do you hunt cyotes?
Mostly because I can!

My wife likes to sleep in a bit on the weekends and my son likes morning cartoons soo...I get up early, go coyote hunting and come back and make everyone breakfast...that's my routine. I'm not big on sleeping in, I'd rather be out hunting whatever I can so coyotes/predators it is!

They are good practice in the off season. If you can put a sneak on a coyote without being busted well, you'd be a hero for one and two, you'd be well practiced for big game season. Predators are some of the smartest and hardest critters to hunt. It's also good experience when it comes to shooting. Coyotes don't always offer a standing broadside shot at 100yds - very rarely infact. You often have to get on the target, make a decision on range, bullet placement etc and then shoot within a couple of seconds. There are exceptions! Anyway, point is - good practice!

It's not for the faint of heart either...some of the best predator hunting days are when it's -30+C!!! It can get cold. This morning I "burnt" my forefinger on my trigger! (the trigger was that cold!)

Most of the coyotes/wolves I hunt are on farm land and I do it mostly for predator control. The dog I shot this morning was originally about 20yds from a herd of goats and sheep (a bunch of newborns included) so you know exactly what he was up to - no good!

Anyway, some like it, some hate it but for me it's some of the funnest hunting I have ever done and I will continue to do it year after year.

Long winded but I hope that answers your question.

redcomet
12-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Mostly because I can!

My wife likes to sleep in a bit on the weekends and my son likes morning cartoons soo...I get up early, go coyote hunting and come back and make everyone breakfast...that's my routine. I'm not big on sleeping in, I'd rather be out hunting whatever I can so coyotes/predators it is!

They are good practice in the off season. If you can put a sneak on a coyote without being busted well, you'd be a hero for one and two, you'd be well practiced for big game season. Predators are some of the smartest and hardest critters to hunt. It's also good experience when it comes to shooting. Coyotes don't always offer a standing broadside shot at 100yds - very rarely infact. You often have to get on the target, make a decision on range, bullet placement etc and then shoot within a couple of seconds. There are exceptions! Anyway, point is - good practice!

It's not for the faint of heart either...some of the best predator hunting days are when it's -30+C!!! It can get cold. This morning I "burnt" my forefinger on my trigger! (the trigger was that cold!)

Most of the coyotes/wolves I hunt are on farm land and I do it mostly for predator control. The dog I shot this morning was originally about 20yds from a herd of goats and sheep (a bunch of newborns included) so you know exactly what he was up to - no good!

Anyway, some like it, some hate it but for me it's some of the funnest hunting I have ever done and I will continue to do it year after year.

Long winded but I hope that answers your question.

Good reply!

todbartell
12-05-2009, 08:01 PM
good job, and the first of many I hope to see pics of

I need to get my shit together so I can get out too!

JCVD
12-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Nice one, I've got a white and silver one hiding out in my honey hole that needs some vitamin lead too. Hopefully when the snows flying.

f0rbidden
12-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Where can I get them in Lowermainland?

BlacktailStalker
12-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Give er sh!t, smoke a pack a day.
Nice hunting over "live bait" with those lambs :lol:

silvertipp
12-05-2009, 10:32 PM
why do you hunt cyotes?
You might not think there a problem,but in 100 mile this year there was two coyote tracks for every deer track & alot of does without fawns
Id shoot as many as i can

StoneChaser
12-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Now I know where the other wall tent stakes went...it's all over the intraweb!

KodiakHntr
12-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Good job. Headed out today too to see how many we can find.

Big7
12-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Now I know where the other wall tent stakes went...it's all over the intraweb!
Wierd eh...still in my truck! Go figure!

HighOctane
12-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Got a Foxpro Fury I am dying to try out this year on them yote buggers! Anyone else use one of these?

bowhunterbruce
12-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Where can I get them in Lowermainland?
not sure if its allowed but would
sure as he!! be apreciated
try out ubc way with a bow.

Slime green cat
12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I haven't hunted coyotes yet, but I am pumped to try it this year ... I think I am more excited to get a coyote than I was to try for deer/moose this past fall .
Something about predator vs predator that appeals to me :twisted:

Dont have a dedicated predator gun yet, and probably wont till next year, so the 300 wsm is going to have to do :tongue:

Interesting fact about coyotes that some of you probably know, but I didn't till yesterday is ..... that they are not a native species to most of BC other than the north/eastern section .
They didn't make thier way over till the railway was built through the rockies :confused:
Thet are originally a praire animal . So all the more reason to wack em :wink: they dont belong here .

Pete
12-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Nice looking dog. Did you skin flesh and board him?

Canadian Dad
12-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Nice work!

I haven't hunted coyotes yet, but I am pumped to try it this year ... I think I am more excited to get a coyote than I was to try for deer/moose this past fall .
Me too! My 'old' Island blacktail rifle, .25-06 has been relegated to coyotes now. Once I get some time under my belt I'd like to handload a 100gr for them.
Is there a thread about some good and better tactics for them?
I was thinking of calling while stationed in or on the edge of the many powerlines around here.
Has anyone used those little remote box calls with the moving decoy? Waste of time or topnotch set-up?

todbartell
12-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Has anyone used those little remote box calls with the moving decoy? Waste of time or topnotch set-up?

picture says a thousand words :mrgreen:

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_10_2007_008.jpg

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_10_2007_004.jpg

HighOctane
12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Nice!!! Is that a Foxpro??

todbartell
12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
yes, an Fx3 I had. Nice unit, but the Fx5 is better if you can scratch up the $ for the difference.

Canadian Dad
12-06-2009, 06:05 PM
:-D Thanks.
You are 100% correct about those 1000 words! Nice job.
About how far do you station yourself away to watch all the angles? 100-200 yards? Or is the remote closer ranged ie 50-100 yards?

ElkMasterC
Who uses a mouth call, and what do you recommend?

BTW Tod, I like the way you went real WIDE to take the 2nd pic..lol

Attention to detail, nicely done.

ROEBUCK
picture says a thousand words :mrgreen:

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_10_2007_008.jpg

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_10_2007_004.jpg

poor little dog!!

thats cruel!!

todbartell
12-06-2009, 11:10 PM
About how far do you station yourself away to watch all the angles? 100-200 yards? Or is the remote closer ranged ie 50-100 yards?

I usually position it upwind anywhere from 30-75 yards, so any coyote that keys in on the decoy will circle downwind of it, but upwind of my position (in theory, doesn't always work :wink:)

Who uses a mouth call, and what do you recommend?

I used to use my Sceery snowshoe distress with good results, and a mouth diaphragm from Hunter Specialties. Primos Kiyi has also brought them in. Pack a few so you can change it up from stand to stand.

Jetboater
12-11-2009, 09:42 AM
heres my first of the season with my long range rig, got this guy at 90 yds.. one arrow...I praticed all season out to 100yds and the conditions were perfect fot this one...http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/tnt3113/IMG_1103.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/tnt3113/IMG_1102.jpg

Canadian Dad
12-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Wow! Great shot. Congrats.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-11-2009, 10:09 AM
heres my first of the season with my long range rig, got this guy at 90 yds.. one arrow...I praticed all season out to 100yds and the conditions were perfect fot this one...http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/tnt3113/IMG_1103.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w159/tnt3113/IMG_1102.jpg

Awesome stuff, JB'er!!!
That's an accomplishment!

Congrats!

SSS

d6dan
12-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Nice work!

I was thinking of calling while stationed in or on the edge of the many powerlines around here.

If your from Crofton and thinking about shooting yotes on the Island, There is none..maybe you forgot where you are?..:tongue:

Maverick7
12-11-2009, 11:00 AM
[quote=Big7;570181]
Went out this morning and shot this guy - the first of hopefully many this winter!

now im all down with killing coyotes. theyre are the root of all evil in the hunting world. but im curious as to what you do with them afterwards. it may give me insight as to what i can do so as not to waste them. i mean there is alot of fly material there.

Jetboater
12-11-2009, 11:15 AM
bring them to Rishus for eats!

Big7
12-11-2009, 11:23 AM
bring them to Rishus for eats!
That's funny...still haven't heard if he has tried making coyote stew yet and if so how it tasted (not that it matters - it would be a cold day in hell when I chewed on a chunk of coyote meat!)

Maverick7...I usually give most of mine away to trappers (if they aren't all shot up - if they are then they go to "waste") You're right though, you could use some of the hide for fly tying - you'd have a lifetime supply out of one dog!

ufishifish2
12-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Interesting fact about coyotes that some of you probably know, but I didn't till yesterday is ..... that they are not a native species to most of BC other than the north/eastern section .
They didn't make thier way over till the railway was built through the rockies :confused:
Thet are originally a praire animal . So all the more reason to wack em :wink: they dont belong here .

Where is your family originally from, probably not BC. Do we belong here, or should we get wacked too???:)

Canadian Dad
12-11-2009, 11:51 AM
If your from Crofton and thinking about shooting yotes on the Island, There is none..maybe you forgot where you are?..
Whooops! Will change my location in my profile now.
LOL, nah I had to move from the Island and am now in west Kootenies. Lots of tracks, heard them howling during the summer and I have spotted a few while hunting.

hoho
12-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Good reply!

I like his reply too,but I don't where he live....

Big7
12-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Where is your family originally from, probably not BC. Do we belong here, or should we get wacked too???:)
Settle down...it was a trivia fact and a joke...don't take it to heart.

Big7
12-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I like his reply too,but I don't where he live....
Vanderhoof

la river
12-11-2009, 07:23 PM
What is the minimal gun you would use and what would your biggest be? I dont want to blow a huge gaping hole but dont really have anything small.
.22 long being probably the smallest thing but is that too small?

la river
12-11-2009, 07:32 PM
How about tying a cat to a stump just high enough so it cant touch the ground and will meow and meow away....would that work???LOL