PDA

View Full Version : For all that voted in favor of 3 point season

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 12:35 PM
This poll is for the people who voted in favor of the 3 point or better season. Please if you voted in favor than lets see if you have shot a bull in the last 3 years in the ek. Remember pic to prove or it did not happen

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't buy elk tags, don't care to.

I look at the regulation and whether it's sustainable or not. A 10 3 pt season in October is sustainable. I won't create a conservation concern.

For the locals there will be fewer people in the bush in september, might help thin out some of those 5 pts that the folks are talking about and it'll let some guys shoot some wildlife in a sustainable manner.

Things don't need to be any more complicated than that.

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 12:40 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v77/89/97/659196074/n659196074_87567_8107.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=87580&id=659196074)
First bull 07http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs280.snc1/10719_178312346074_659196074_4238231_4095776_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4238232&id=659196074)
Bull from 09

KB90
12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
It would be logical that someone who hasn't been able to harvest a 6 point elk in three years and has tried, would probably support a 3 point season.

Are you just trying to prove its the guys who can't hunt elk who want a 3 point season?

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 12:45 PM
You hit the nail on the head Kyle.

Gateholio
12-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I've never hunted elk in Reg 4 but I support the 3pt season because it makes sense. You should have included another category in your poll.:tongue:

Ozone
12-05-2009, 12:50 PM
No pics. Like I give a **** if you believe it or not.

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 01:05 PM
No pics. Like I give a **** if you believe it or not.
Spoken like a good Island boy!!

Dry wall dude, why hide behind a stupid poll, just puke out what you really want to say.

kwasky
12-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Never hunted elk but support the 3 point season.

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Dry wall dude, why hide behind a stupid poll, just puke out what you really want to say.
I am just board with hunting season being over so i though i would get on here and see whats going on. And yes i do think that if you have not got an elk in the last 3 years from reg 4 you will most likly be in favor of the proposed changes. IMO hunt hard or stay home and buy beef

d6dan
12-05-2009, 01:31 PM

Bozzy's just pissed that if they have a 3pt season in the EK, there will be more hunters around and he does'nt want that!:wink: A 3pt or better season would draw a much larger group of hunters to the EK. I like that...:tongue:

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I am just board with hunting season being over so i though i would get on here and see whats going on. And yes i do think that if you have not got an elk in the last 3 years from reg 4 you will most likly be in favor of the proposed changes. IMO hunt hard or stay home and buy beef
I am with you on that for sure. i will be giving the ducks and the geese a go now for awhile and will start scouting for blacktails in April when I am looking for bears.

So I can travel all the way to Region 4 and get bucks but I can't find a decent Black tail here on the Rock. What's up with that!!

KB90
12-05-2009, 01:41 PM

Im sure lots of guys would love to hunt hard, hell if I could i'd ditch school and hunt every day of the season. But lets be realistic people have jobs, family, and other priorities. If it is sustainable, which people are saying it is ( I don't know it is), then why not have a 3 point season.

If you are such a hard hunter then you should have no problem getting out and finding your big bull you desire. Many people could care less about antler size and are out there to have fun and have a chance to get some elk meet in the freezer.

catparts
12-05-2009, 01:43 PM
[quote=KyleBartels;570089]It would be logical that someone who hasn't been able to harvest a 6 point elk in three years and has tried, would probably support a 3 point season.

If someone who has hunted for a 6 point elk in the last 3 years hasnt got one,, then in all honesty your not hunting very hard!!!, I have pics and video of 6 point elk this year i could have easily shot,, IMO,, arent we talking about HUNTNG and not KILLING there is a reason we call it HUNTING and not KILLING,, and a 3 point season isn't hunting its killing,, and to be honest,, anybody can go out and shoot a 3 spike elk im not gonna BS on that one,, its too easy, and sorry but bozz is right,, those are the guys who support the 3 spike season

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 01:43 PM
I did not vote for a 3 point season 2 years ago ,but sense then I have changed my mind.

What I have seen in the last two years that the elk population can withstand a 3 point season .
I would like to see a 3 point season for a short time not long time ,I would say give it 3 weeks then do a count and see if the herds are still stable.

KB90
12-05-2009, 01:49 PM
anybody can go out and shoot a 3 spike elk im not gonna BS on that one,, its too easy, and sorry but bozz is right,, those are the guys who support the 3 spike season

You probably are right about who wants it, but if its sustainable, there shouldn't even be an argument???

and from what I see here there are very skilled elk hunters who are supporting the 3 pt season.

and I would disagree that anyone could go shoot a 3 point elk.

catparts
12-05-2009, 01:54 PM
:mrgreen:
[quote=catparts;570147]

How many days does in the field does it take you to find and harvest your elk?
Well Kyle,, that depends on how many LML guys are out in my spot :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: all jokes aside it depends, it could take anywhere from a day to a month,, you cant just say yeah im going out to shoot a big 6 today yip,, thats not gonna happen,,and depending on if i have enough gas in me to fart in my tube to call them in lol,,JK but in all honesty guys,, Here is a question we are all hunters,, so im asking how many of us are "hunters" (being puting in time effort hiking getting to your favourite spot,, calling and passing on the smaller bulls)and how many of us are just out there to kill??????????being oh snap theres an elk BOOM, and one more question how many of you guys shoot the first legal elk you see? My honest opinion of my own elk hunting i never shoot the first legal 6 i see i like to have fun with them and actually hunt them i think it is great! there is nothing like having a pissed off bull elk be it a spiker or a 7x7 10 feet away letting out a big scream right in your face,, the adrenaline gets going and that my friend is what makes me a hunter!

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Well Kyle,, that depends on how many LML guys are out in my spot :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: all jokes aside it depends, it could take anywhere from a day to a month,, you cant just say yeah im going out to shoot a big 6 today yip,, thats not gonna happen,,and depending on if i have enough gas in me to fart in my tube to call them in lol,,JK but in all honesty guys,, Here is a question we are all hunters,, so im asking how many of us are "hunters" (being puting in time effort hiking getting to your favourite spot,, calling and passing on the smaller bulls)and how many of us are just out there to kill??????????being oh snap theres an elk BOOM, and one more question how many of you guys shoot the first legal elk you see? My honest opinion of my own elk hunting i never shoot the first legal 6 i see i like to have fun with them and actually hunt them i think it is great! there is nothing like having a pissed off bull elk be it a spiker or a 7x7 10 feet away letting out a big scream right in your face,, the adrenaline gets going and that my friend is what makes me a hunter!

How many bulls have you shot over 350? How many have you passed up over 340?

moosinaround
12-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Bozzy's just pissed that if they have a 3pt season in the EK, there will be more hunters around and he does'nt want that!:wink: A 3pt or better season would draw a much larger group of hunters to the EK. I like that...:tongue:
I like it too!! It is closer for the islanders to go to the Koots than it is for them to go to the Peace! Less folks in my backyard!! Go bug BOZZY for a year or Two!!! Moosin

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Having never hunted elk.. and the distance and time and money it would take to try and harvest an elk ..i would more than likely take the first legal one i saw..and would say most of the people traveling any distance to hunt elk would be inclined to do the same ..locals like your self that live there yr round have more time to hunt them and can afford to be more selective ..if thats your thing.

d6dan
12-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I like it too!! It is closer for the islanders to go to the Koots than it is for them to go to the Peace! Less folks in my backyard!! Go bug BOZZY for a year or Two!!! Moosin

Ya like that eh moosin?
Region 8 boys should and would be happy too...:tongue:

bforce750
12-05-2009, 02:04 PM
So thats why I have to change my elk call every week of the season,catparts is educating them :biggrin:

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:06 PM
[quote=catparts;570155]:mrgreen:

How many bulls have you shot over 350? How many have you passed up over 340?

LOLOL honestly how many friggen bulls that arent on mine property around here,, have you seen that score 350 or 340 seriously man,, and i do have a set of antlers in my shed right now that are now probably turning white that do score 347,, i see lots of elk in the 340 350 range everyday,, they live on the mine property,, and i have passed up a bull elk that scored probably around 330 340,, the reason i passed him up was because i was BY MYSELF,, just out having some fun,, yeah i had a tag in my pocket but where he was i wasnt gonna shoot him, too far from the truck was by myself,, and im out there to have fun man, just being out there is what keeps me going,, for the love of the hunt

brotherjack
12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
If someone who has hunted for a 6 point elk in the last 3 years hasnt got one,, then in all honesty your not hunting very hard!!!

Where do you people get this crap? Other than some of you HBC super-stars, I don't think I know a single hunter who has got a 6 point elk in the last 3 years -- and I know a bunch of guys, most of whom log 10 to 20 days a season in the bush looking for one (and by "in the bush", I don't mean road hunting, I mean wearing out boots). And before you tell me how useless me and all my friends are, go ask Hunter1947 (whom I think most here agree, is an excellent elk hunter) how many days he's hunted, on average, for every 6 point he's gotten over the last 10 years.

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Hunter1947 you put on alot of miles? you must spend alot of money on gas,just kidding guy but,,, no i am not calling you just a killer but,, if you got skunked 6 years in a row! isnt that saying something about the elk herds or population in the area you are hunting???????????

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Where do you people get this crap? Other than some of you HBC super-stars, I don't think I know a single hunter who has got a 6 point elk in the last 3 years -- and I know a bunch of guys, most of whom log 10 to 20 days a season in the bush looking for one (and by "in the bush", I don't mean road hunting, I mean wearing out boots). And before you tell me how useless me and all my friends are, go ask Hunter1947 (whom I think most here agree, is an excellent elk hunter) how many days he's hunted, on average, for every 6 point he's gotten over the last 10 years.
i work 5 and 2 i only get to hunt the weekends from sept 1st to oct 20th,, and i dont seem to have a problem finding a 6 point,,, and i am not even close to the roads i dont road hunt,, i dont even road hunt when im on my way to where i want to hunt!! and im sure hunter1947 is a fine elk hunter im not saying he isnt but if he is having problems finding the elk then, HELLO whats with the elk herds??

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:21 PM
ok here if you really want to know how many 6 point bull elk got killed this year,, call every butcher from elkford to cranbrook bc, and ask them for their #'s i know for a fact last day of the elk season a local butcher here said this elk season he had 121 bull elk brought in to his shop to be cut up and that my friend, isnt counting the cows and calves

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Hunter1947 you put on alot of miles? you must spend alot of money on gas,just kidding guy but,,, no i am not calling you just a killer but,, if you got skunked 6 years in a row! isnt that saying something about the elk herds or population in the area you are hunting???????????

I would say not ,there are more elk in the area I have hunted the last 43 years then ever before.

I had my chances on a bulls that had 6 points on top in them 6 years of drought but did not have a clear shot or other.

This year I saw 30 bull elk ranging from spike to 6 point and I had saw only 3 six point in 7 weeks of hunting in my area ,it was not till the last few days that I connected on a 7x6 ,I got lucky.

the area I hunted road hunters dropped 5 ,6 point or bigger in the slashes ,I was getting pissed off because I was the one pounding the leather in the back hills and the road hunters where shooting all the 6 points from the road.

I whent throug 3 pairs of new running shoes hunting the mountains for elk this year ,thats about the average for me.

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:33 PM
the area I hunted road hunters dropped 5 ,6 point or bigger in the slashes ,I was getting pissed off because I was the one pounding the leather in the back hills and the road hunters where shooting all the 6 points from the road.[/quote]

I hear ya there man,, some guys have all the luck,, just never seems to be the guys who hunt hard that get em off the road lol we are al entitled to an easy one one day i hope haha,,

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 02:40 PM
the area I hunted road hunters dropped 5 ,6 point or bigger in the slashes ,I was getting pissed off because I was the one pounding the leather in the back hills and the road hunters where shooting all the 6 points from the road.

I hear ya there man,, some guys have all the luck,, just never seems to be the guys who hunt hard that get em off the road lol we are al entitled to an easy one one day i hope haha,,[/quote]

Well it did happen for me this year got an easy one and it was the only time ever :rolleyes: ,if you go back and see my pic and story on the elk I got this year you can see that I had an easy one handed to me ,was shit house luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I hear ya there man,, some guys have all the luck,, just never seems to be the guys who hunt hard that get em off the road lol we are al entitled to an easy one one day i hope haha,,

Well it did happen for me this year got an easy one and it was the only time ever :rolleyes: ,if you go back and see my pic and story on the elk I got this year you can see that I had an easy one handed to me ,was shit house luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.[/quote]
LOL well good on ya man,, it is great to see a guy who does put in his time get an easy one for sure,, im sure you will get some more easy ones man you deserve it,, as do i but my luck is aweful lol i always put in way too much time and effort lol

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
ok here if you really want to know how many 6 point bull elk got killed this year,, call every butcher from elkford to cranbrook bc, and ask them for their #'s i know for a fact last day of the elk season a local butcher here said this elk season he had 121 bull elk brought in to his shop to be cut up and that my friend, isnt counting the cows and calves

Wow!! You Mr pussypart sound like someone I know frm Creston.:tongue::tongue::tongue:

d6dan
12-05-2009, 03:03 PM
as do i but my luck is aweful lol i always put in way too much time and effort lol

Passing on 6pts?. Hopefully next year, (3pt and better season) you'll have better luck:wink:.
You and Bozzy should have been around in the early 80's. 3pt and better and lots around.

field marshal
12-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I thought this website was called HuntingBC, not trophy HuntingBC???
Sooo.... If a 3pt. hunt is sustainable shouldn't us older farts who like
to eat elk venison , have a decent chance at harvesting one:confused::confused:
Just inquiring??? Bozzy :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Have a safe Holiday Season everyone.:-D
Cheers Field Marshal.

catparts
12-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Passing on 6pts?. Hopefully next year, (3pt and better season) you'll have better luck:wink:.
You and Bozzy should have been around in the early 80's. 3pt and better and lots around.
not gonna happen the 3 point season lol you will see haha,, and i would never shoot a 3 point elk,, but guess what THATS MY OPINION,, im not that desperate and ok,, so when does age have anything to do with it?? so lets open up everything so some old timer can fill his tags?? i dont think so, might as well let everybody hunt from a helicopter open all road closures,, let us bait everything,, let all the animals get killed shot or whatever it is ya want then when there is no animals,, we wouldnt be sitting here having this discussion about hunting because it will be an extinct word (hunting),, lol well i got a whitetail tag left so i should prolly get my shit ready so i can go out with my bow tomorrow morning and hammer a hog becuase you know what???????
Im a trophy hunter,, if it isnt big i dont shoot it,, because thats what i do!!
And Bozz i back you 100% on everything buddy,, we will have to get together soon talk shit about some guys lol,,,,,,,

d6dan
12-05-2009, 03:26 PM
not gonna happen the 3 point season lol you will see haha,, and i would never shoot a 3 point elk,, but guess what THATS MY OPINION,, im not that desperate and ok,, so when does age have anything to do with it?? so lets open up everything so some old timer can fill his tags?? i dont think so, might as well let everybody hunt from a helicopter open all road closures,, let us bait everything,, let all the animals get killed shot or whatever it is ya want then when there is no animals,, we wouldnt be sitting here having this discussion about hunting because it will be an extinct word (hunting),, lol well i got a whitetail tag left so i should prolly get my shit ready so i can go out with my bow tomorrow morning and hammer a hog becuase you know what???????
And Bozz i back you 100% on everything buddy,, we will have to get together soon talk shit about some guys lol,,,,,,,

Good luck on that Trophy Whitetail Hunt tomorrow. And Good for you on not wanting to shoot a 3pt elk!, You just leave them for us "old farts". :wink:

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 03:39 PM

There is enough elk out there to be put on all us hunters dinner tables with no conservation concerns.

Good for you catparts for deciding you will only take a 6 point elk if there was a 3 point season leaves more for me to shoothttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

I hope you get a hog of a Wt deer tomorrow ,would love to see the pic if you do ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

12-05-2009, 04:12 PM
This poll is for the people who voted in favor of the 3 point or better season. Please if you voted in favor than lets see if you have shot a bull in the last 3 years in the ek. Remember pic to prove or it did not happen

I've shot my share of elk, but I haven't shot one or hunted hard for one for about 10 years now, just not inclined anymore, too much work. A 3 pt season won't matter one way or another to me as far as hunting is concerned, I won't kill one anyway. I support it because it makes the best sense from a biological point of view and for the future of the elk as well as elk hunters, many of whom need a little encouragement. If it's sustainable why not take advantage of it?

MikeH
12-05-2009, 04:33 PM
This thread gives me a headache.

BlacktailStalker
12-05-2009, 04:42 PM
This poll only applies to trophy hunters.
Most guys who want to hunt elk solely for meat would rather eat a nice rag horn over a rutted out 6 point.
That being said I like the challenge of looking for a 6 pt and have killed them, however having the option of taking a 3 pt on the last day or two isnt something anybody with any brains would turn down.
A 3 pt season would be fine but not for the whole elk season.

Darksith
12-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I have been hunting there for the past 3 years, and this year with a cow draw and have come home empty handed all 3 years.

Ruger4
12-05-2009, 05:03 PM
This poll only applies to trophy hunters.
Most guys who want to hunt elk solely for meat would rather eat a nice rag horn over a rutted out 6 point.
That being said I like the challenge of looking for a 6 pt and have killed them, however having the option of taking a 3 pt on the last day or two isnt something anybody with any brains would turn down.
A 3 pt season would be fine but not for the whole elk season.

thread ended on a good note x 2

brotherjack
12-05-2009, 05:47 PM

See, I have no problem with that being your thing. None at all. Good for you! (and I'm really not being sarcastic -- I'm serious; good for you, I support you and I support trophy hunting).

What really bothers me, however (and I'm aiming this at a lot more people than just you personally), is that all you elitist trophy-hunting jerks seem to have this huge problem with it even being legal for me and my kind to hunt. Me and my kind, being the kind who would really be 1000% happier to shoot the smallest legal animal going (cow/calf, 3 point, spike, whatever) on opening day (on the uphill side of the road, standing at the bait pile, LOL), than to spend 40 days straight in the bush for 3 years running and finally shoot a 400+ inch bull at the end of it. Having a more liberal season that would cater to me and my kind WOULD NOT AFFECT YOU GUYS AT ALL -- at least not if you're worth $0.02 as a trophy hunter. But on the other hand, having 6 point season to cater to YOU GUYS, really takes all the fun out of hunting elk for a lot of us -- those of us who, like me, measure success by steaks in the freezer. I hunt because I wanna kill something, preferably sooner rather than later, and I make no apologies for that (nor should I).

So all ranting aside -- all you trophy hunters who are so bitterly opposed to liberalizing the season even a wee bit (even in the face of mountains of evidence that says not only that we can, that we in fact, should), ask yourselves this. How come you can't/won't open up your mind just a little bit to support me and how (and why) I hunt, in the same way I already support you and how (and why) you hunt?

Food for thought.

kebes
12-05-2009, 05:58 PM
See, I have no problem with that being your thing. None at all. Good for you! (and I'm really not being sarcastic -- I'm serious; good for you, I support you and I support trophy hunting).

What really bothers me, however (and I'm aiming this at a lot more people than just you personally), is that all you elitist trophy-hunting jerks seem to have this huge problem with it even being legal for me and my kind to hunt. Me and my kind, being the kind who would really be 1000% happier to shoot the smallest legal animal going (cow/calf, 3 point, spike, whatever) on opening day (on the uphill side of the road, standing at the bait pile, LOL), than to spend 40 days straight in the bush for 3 years running and finally shoot a 400+ inch bull at the end of it. Having a more liberal season that would cater to me and my kind WOULD NOT AFFECT YOU GUYS AT ALL -- at least not if you're worth $0.02 as a trophy hunter. But on the other hand, having 6 point season to cater to YOU GUYS, really takes all the fun out of hunting elk for a lot of us -- those of us who, like me, measure success by steaks in the freezer. I hunt because I wanna kill something, preferably sooner rather than later, and I make no apologies for that (nor should I).

So all ranting aside -- all you trophy hunters who are so bitterly opposed to liberalizing the season even a wee bit (even in the face of mountains of evidence that says not only that we can, that we in fact, should), ask yourselves this. How come you can't/won't open up your mind just a little bit to support me and how (and why) I hunt, in the same way I already support you and how (and why) you hunt?

Food for thought.

Perfect!!!

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 06:18 PM
GG you are seriously too hung up on trophy bulls.....

I'm trying to point out they a couple of the folks who think they are, actually aren't 'big bull' hunters.

To me if you're a big bull/buck hunter you hold out for and/or shoot big animals, not the first 6 pts that walks by or some 300 or 320 rat.

What is the difference between shooting a spike/3 pt or 6 pt? You say a couple more packs of steaks but I have a hard time believing that.

I think most of it's driven strictly by ego. Shoot a ratty 6 pts for 'bragging rights', which is a bunch of bs.

Talk about how shooting a 3 pt isn't hunting, but shooting a 6 pts is. Gimmee a break. The difference is one or two years in age, that's it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the folks who support the 6 pt only would be the same guys dropping the first 3 pt they saw.

This is about ego, it isn't about conservation or sustainability.

The folks who think they're big bull hunters, aren't. Shooting a 6 pts doesn't make anyone a 'big bull hunter' it makes them a guy who shoots the first legal animal he sees.

The folks who consider themselves big bull hunters who are hunting in the EK only further reinforce that.

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
wow alot of good comments so far. Here is something else to chew on Why did elk in the ek get put to 6 point in the first place?
Do you think maby a LEH would be in order for a 3 point or better season in the EK to see what happens
do you think we should just drop it to 5 points for a year or two and see were that goes.
I dont think a major drop from a 6 to a 3 is in order we must take this really seriously if we want a heathy herd for the future

brotherjack
12-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Here is something else to chew on Why did elk in the ek get put to 6 point in the first place?

Because there was a near-catastrophic winter-kill/die-off back in 96 (I think it was 96.. was it 97?). Even at the time that the 6 point season was implemented, it was held out only as a short term recovery strategy that was supposed to be done away with in a few years. The guide-outfitter/trophy-hunter crowd has latched on to it and has fought tooth and nail to keep it ever since; thus we still have it.

Everett
12-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey Bozz if you have actualy reading these threads you are starting you will have the answers to why we have a 6pt season and why we need to get rid of it now. But I will give you one more reason BJ has been touching on it most hunters in BC whether they are from region 4 or the lower mainland are meat hunters first and selective hunters second. They like to eat wild meat and will shoot the first legal Elk they see and then go home leaving the mountains to the trophy hunters. I hunt more than anyone I know but first I am a meat hunter I fill my freezer first than I hunt for fun. I think I am pretty typical.

Everett
12-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Bozz hopefully on the 11th 6616 will show up from what I have seen on this site he knows more about the Elk than any of the supposed experts. Talk to him over a couple beers hopefully when you get up from the table you will understand the reality of the Elk in the EK. You seem to be a decent hunter but I am not sure from your posts whether you understand wildlife manegment and what is necessary for us to have long term helthy Elk herd in the EK. The info is out there on HBC and on the MOE web site. Its amazing the info that they let you have access to you should do some digging. I think you will come to the right conclusions if you look at the hard data.

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Bozz hopefully on the 11th 6616 will show up from what I have seen on this site he knows more about the Elk than any of the supposed experts. Talk to him over a couple beers hopefully when you get up from the table you will understand the reality of the Elk in the EK. You seem to be a decent hunter but I am not sure from your posts whether you understand wildlife manegment and what is necessary for us to have long term helthy Elk herd in the EK. The info is out there on HBC and on the MOE web site. Its amazing the info that they let you have access to you should do some digging. I think you will come to the right conclusions if you look at the hard data.
You make a good point i dont know the stats i only know what i see and i see alot. Iam an avid out doors man that works in the bush as a logger so i get to spend most of my time in the great out doors. like i say i can only speak from experiance not from facts found in books and on the web. Lets see how many of the people giving us our numbers really spend half as much time as i do in the bush. If they did i bet the numbers would be more correct. IMO you have to be here to know what is going on here not at some desk. Give me the job of doing head counts and i bet the count will be more closer to the truth than whats out there.

Everett
12-05-2009, 08:04 PM
You make a good point i dont know the stats i only know what i see and i see alot. Iam an avid out doors man that works in the bush as a logger so i get to spend most of my time in the great out doors. like i say i can only speak from experiance not from facts found in books and on the web. Lets see how many of the people giving us our numbers really spend half as much time as i do in the bush. If they did i bet the numbers would be more correct. IMO you have to be here to know what is going on here not at some desk. Give me the job of doing head counts and i bet the count will be more closer to the truth than whats out there.

Well study the numbers and combine it with you physical observations and you will have %80 of the picture. The other %20 is just voodoo.
I personaly read the numbers and since I usually don't work in from Aug. 15th till Jan 1st I get to spend alot of time in the bush the. Mind you not all of that is at home in region 4 I hunted 4 weeks this year in other regions.
This is why I am so confidant of my conclusions.

Ozone
12-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Lets see how many of the people giving us our numbers really spend half as much time as i do in the bush.

Perhaps this could be your next poll:mrgreen:

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Aren't you one of the guys working on the RE up on premier?

cloverphil
12-05-2009, 08:39 PM
I've never hunted elk but I'd support the season to make it worth driving to the Kootenays; not knowing where to look for elk; I'm guessing I'd have a better chance of seeing a 3 pt than a 6 pt, its hard to justify a 10 hr drive if I've never been there before, much less ever seen any elk before anywhere in my life

12-05-2009, 09:02 PM

I would never discuss elk management in the bar with you piss-tanks.....Hahaha....!

Seriously though, observations are fine and we need those, but how to interpret them without jumping to conclusions which are often misleading, discovering what they really mean, and deciding what action is required, if any, to correct a particular situation, etc, is where the pro-bio comes in and it'a my belief at that stage we lay-persons should listen to them.

It's OK for us to tell the bios "there's not enough, or there's too many, elk out there" but we should leave out the "we should have a ___ season........" and let them do their job.

Actually, the decision to have a 6pt or 3pt, or any other type of season is more a social decision (quality vrs quantity) then anything else. conservation and herd population management is done by cow removal and bulls seasons have little impact on causing a decline or increase. What ever decision society makes, biologists have the strategies to reach the objective.

My personal view is that if we can harvest animals sustainably, why not go ahead and do it and keep as many freezers full as possible. That might come at a slight cost to trophy potential, but who should the wildlife be managed for, the 10% true trophy hunters, or the 90% meat and sometimes selective hunters? Should the 10% trophy hunters be able to dictate management regimes that suit them and thus take away opportunities from the masses?

12-05-2009, 09:21 PM
wow alot of good comments so far. Here is something else to chew on Why did elk in the ek get put to 6 point in the first place?
Do you think maby a LEH would be in order for a 3 point or better season in the EK to see what happens
do you think we should just drop it to 5 points for a year or two and see were that goes.
I dont think a major drop from a 6 to a 3 is in order we must take this really seriously if we want a heathy herd for the future

The 6pt bull season was part of the 2000 to 2004 elk management plan which was basically a recovery strategy and the 6pt bull component of that strategy was to provide a much better bull/cow ratio then what existed following the 96/97 die-off. The 6pt season would have been dropped in the 2005 to 2009 elk management plan but was retained mostly due to public reaction similar to what we're seeing here and now. Now we are looking at a new elk management plan for 2010 to 2014 and I think it's fairly safe to say recovery of elk populations has occurred and recovery strategies are no longer required.

Yes a 3pt or 5pt LEH would work if you like LEH. Also a one week or ten day GOS on 3 or 5 point elk would work, there are actually many options that would work. A 3pt is a better option then a 5pt season because it would result in harvest from a wider range of age classes of bulls. MOE is "not" contemplating a major drop from a 6pt to a 3pt season. The 3pt options in the proposals are mostly limited to the ag-zone or are limited to 10 days. I don't see how they could possibly hurt the elk population. The words "slaughter, disaster, decimation" etc are completelly out of place in the discussion regarding these proposals.

doubled
12-05-2009, 09:31 PM
:mrgreen:[quote=KyleBartels;570151]

Boys, get your gum boots on, the sewer has over flowed!!!!!

Everett
12-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I would never discuss elk management in the bar with you piss-tanks.....Hahaha....!

?

What I was so looking forward to picking your brain over a couple cold one I am sure Bozz and some others would love to pick your brain as well. As for piss tanks as I don't know any of the other member except BJ and Boyd but only in passing so I cant say whether thay are piss tanks or not. But I hear Sawmill has a great futon only a block from the pub.:mrgreen:

silvertipp
12-05-2009, 09:38 PM
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v77/89/97/659196074/n659196074_87567_8107.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=87580&id=659196074)
First bull 07http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs280.snc1/10719_178312346074_659196074_4238231_4095776_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4238232&id=659196074)
Bull from 09Nice bull but i dont see alot of meat there