PDA

View Full Version : Compound bow for ten yr old boy

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Im looking at getting my grandson a compound bow ..i dont know a whole lot about them..
looking for some ideas from the archery nutz on here.
Looking 2 spend up to a few hundred..
any brands ..draw weights and lenghts..ect that would be suited for a boy 10 yrs old and suit him for a few yrs .thanx

bsa30-06
12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Browning makes some youth bows.http://www.browning-archery.com/
have a look here.

OOBuck
12-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Buy a Parker

They sell the Buckshot for juniors. Comes complete, 10" of adjustable draw length and its very good quality. Here's the best thing, as the child grows you can send the bow back to Parker and they will replace the limbs free of charge and send it back to you so the child will eventually be able to hunt with it. It nice to know that your grandson will be able to grow into the bow unlike shoes & cloths and any thing else nowadays

Here's a link: http://parkerbows.com/pb/2007/bowselect.html?action=detail&detailsku=1019&sex=Male&age=8-16&experience=beg

danfloris
12-05-2009, 01:01 PM
i have a browning micro adrenaline that is about a year old for my wife.. its been shot about 100 times or less and is in perfect condition. you can look the bow up online and i think they sell for about 300 usd. i will sell mine for 250 plus shipping. comes with sites and stuff on it. i can take some pics if u want but i promise it looks brand new. 30lb-40lb draw. pm me if you are interested.

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys ..like i said i dont have a clue about bows..any info is much appreciated ..00 buck i like the idea of changing parts as he grows:-D.

bowboy
12-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't get him anything too small. Find a bow with a draw weight that will go to 40 lbs, that way he can still hunt with it. You can set the bow for lighter weight while he is learning and let him move up from there. You'll regret spending the money on a cheep childs bow since you will have to replace it with something bigger when he grows up. You should have no problem finding a good youth bow in that price range.

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 01:13 PM
i have a browning micro adrenaline that is about a year old for my wife.. its been shot about 100 times or less and is in perfect condition. you can look the bow up online and i think they sell for about 300 usd. i will sell mine for 250 plus shipping. comes with sites and stuff on it. i can take some pics if u want but i promise it looks brand new. 30lb-40lb draw. pm me if you are interested...

I will keep ya in mind.Thanx.

OOBuck
12-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys ..like i said i dont have a clue about bows..any info is much appreciated ..00 buck i like the idea of changing parts as he grows:-D.

I'll tell you first off don't buy him a bow thats 40LBS, thats the fastest way to kill any interest if he can't pull the thing.

The browning is also a good bow but it doesn't have as many adjustments and you can't swap out the limbs.

I bought OOBuckJr one a few years ago and I don't think he's pulling 25LBS yet. He's not a small kid either.

First off, the bow has to fit the child. Kids grow like weeds! I remember tuning my sons bow between 3D shoots and thats only a couple of weeks between shoots!

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I'll tell you first off don't buy him a bow thats 40LBS, thats the fastest way to kill any interest if he can't pull the thing.

The browning is also a good bow but it doesn't have as many adjustments and you can't swap out the limbs.

I bought OOBuckJr one a few years ago and I don't think he's pulling 25LBS yet. He's not a small kid either.

First off, the bow has to fit the child. Kids grow like weeds! I remember tuning my sons bow between 3D shoots and thats only a couple of weeks between shoots! So 20-30 pds would be better suited for a boy thats 10 i take it ..hes growing fast so the interchangable things makes more sense..thanks 00.

bsa30-06
12-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I agree with OObuck, if he is not able to pull it it is very likely he will loose interest pretty fast.I would definately take him to a shop (if possible) to make sure you know what your looking for.I'm not sure if you have any place in your area that would offer lessons,i took lessons before i bought my bow, and they were designed for the beginner they taught the basics and proper form,and also allowed you to try different bows to see which ones you liked or didnt.

OOBuck
12-05-2009, 04:31 PM
So 20-30 pds would be better suited for a boy thats 10 i take it ..hes growing fast so the interchangable things makes more sense..thanks 00.

I would go with the 20-30LBS bow thats the best way to start. I would also suggest replacing the stock arrow rest and installing a wisker bisket to hold the arrow.

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I would go with the 20-30LBS bow thats the best way to start. I would also suggest replacing the stock arrow rest and installing a wisker bisket to hold the arrow.
thanx..going to try and take him to aplace where he can try some out..hopefuly some where in the interior ..any one know a place he could try some bows out .

Jagermeister
12-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Probably the best person to get information from on this question would be Willyqbc. His son is a national champion and Chris would be certainly able to give you very sound advise. Chris has not been on for a few days, but you could try to PM him and perhaps the one of the Quesnel members could alert Chris to your questions.

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Probably the best person to get information from on this question would be Willyqbc. His son is a national champion and Chris would be certainly able to give you very sound advise. Chris has not been on for a few days, but you could try to PM him and perhaps the one of the Quesnel members could alert Chris to your questions. Thanx J .i will do that .

Bowzone_Mikey
12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
willy Q is on dialup connection so he dont get on as much .... I am almost certain he would reccomed the Diamond edge ... as I would ... 19-29' draw adjustment with the same rotating module ... starting draw weight is 15 pounds or so with peak weight at 29 ...or the other set of limbs with a peak of 60 pounds that start around 30 or so

I am buying my 6 year old daughter a Diamond Nucear Ice draw is 14 to 24" and weight is 10 to 29 pounds

heres a link to Razor edge propaganda
http://www.diamondarchery.com/bow_razoredge_2010.php

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 06:06 PM
willy Q is on dialup connection so he dont get on as much .... I am almost certain he would reccomed the Diamond edge ... as I would ... 19-29' draw adjustment with the same rotating module ... starting draw weight is 15 pounds or so with peak weight at 29 ...or the other set of limbs with a peak of 60 pounds that start around 30 or so

I am buying my 6 year old daughter a Diamond Nucear Ice draw is 14 to 24" and weight is 10 to 29 pounds

heres a link to Razor edge propaganda
http://www.diamondarchery.com/bow_razoredge_2010.php Thanks ..will look into those .

Stone Sheep Steve
12-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Grandson????!!!:shock:
Your swimmers musta been swimming at a pretty early age:wink:.

SSS

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Grandson????!!!:shock:
Your swimmers musta been swimming at a pretty early age:wink:.

SSS :lol: Hes my step grandson ..i was smarter than that ...:wink: my daughters not to keen on the bow ..but what the hell.

hardnocks
12-05-2009, 08:15 PM
frenchbar ..misson by mathews have a little compound thats great for kids. Has an adjustable draw lenght of 17-30in and draw wieght of 15 to 55 lbs .so he would never grow out of it unless he get about 6 foot 6 and it comes with good equip. on it to. if interrested pm me

The Hermit
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
The Mathews Genisis bow is the cat's ass as a starter bow. Constant weight regardless of draw length and adjustable from 10 pounds to 20 pounds which is perfect for a ten year old and beginning adults!! Perfect training bow.

http://www.genesisbow.com/genbow/index.html

The Genesis is the exclusive bow used in the National Archery in Schools program where over 4.5 MILLION kids have learned to shoot since early 2000's. I HIGHLY recommend this bow. I have one here at home so if you are in Victoria or around I'd be happy to let you try it out.

frenchbar
12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
The Mathews Genisis bow is the cat's ass as a starter bow. Constant weight regardless of draw length and adjustable from 10 pounds to 20 pounds which is perfect for a ten year old and beginning adults!! Perfect training bow.

http://www.genesisbow.com/genbow/index.html

The Genesis is the exclusive bow used in the National Archery in Schools program where over 4.5 MILLION kids have learned to shoot since early 2000's. I HIGHLY recommend this bow. I have one here at home so if you are in Victoria or around I'd be happy to let you try it out. Thanx hermit ...im reading as much as i can ..being new to it and all ..dont want to rush into getting something .. the bow sounds like a good one for kids and something i can mess around with as well ..if i like it i may get into hunting with a bow myself ..even tho i have a hard time knocking game down with a rifle.:mrgreen:

Buck
12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
You can check out the Genesis in Cabelas but it is not cheap.I would get one of the hunting bows that can be upgraded.Your kids are keen on hunting if i recall so actuall hunting bow would save money in the long run.

frenchbar
12-06-2009, 12:00 PM
You can check out the Genesis in Cabelas but it is not cheap.I would get one of the hunting bows that can be upgraded.Your kids are keen on hunting if i recall so actuall hunting bow would save money in the long run. i checked them out on cabelas ..im leaning towards one i can upgrade..the kids like to hunt .but they are love struck with their women freinds:mrgreen: huntings being on the backburner lately:-D

kenadiens
12-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Just read about a bow called Apprentice by Bear. Sounds interesting for a starter bow.

frenchbar
12-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanx all for the suggestions ..keep em coming i can take all the help i can get on archery ..looks like a lot of fun .love to be able to take a mule deer with one .

Jagermeister
12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Were you able to get a hold of Willyqbc? If not, I'll pm his phone number to you.

The Hermit
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
You can check out the Genesis in Cabelas but it is not cheap.I would get one of the hunting bows that can be upgraded.Your kids are keen on hunting if i recall so actuall hunting bow would save money in the long run.

I thought he was looking for a ten year old... most 14 year olds can't shoot a 40 pound bow! I think when it is time to move up to a hunting bow the Genesis will hold its value big time.