PDA

View Full Version : Region 4 mule deer

catparts
12-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Was it just me or was the mule deer season this year a little weird,, for me it was because the mule deer i usually see in the spots i do hunt just werent there! Do you think there may have been a winter die off or, just a weird season in general for rutting ? and what do you thik of the proposed changes opening up any buck for the month of october??? I think in my own honest opinion that would be a horrible idea! I never seen alot of mule deer this year! I have killed my fair share of big mulies and this year i never seen one legal 4 spike buck!

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Go higher, there are lots of them. no die off from last winter, wolves and cats maybe.

where were you hunting?

catparts
12-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Go higher, there are lots of them. no die off from last winter, wolves and cats maybe.

where were you hunting?

Almost the same place as you islandeer lol in fact i think you called me a few times while you were down here!! hehe shhh dont say nothing lol so how did you make out bud did ya get anything in the areas i had mentioned to you?? hope you had a successfull hunt man and sorry i had missed ya,, i never got out much too much other stuff going on!!

BCrams
12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
i never got out much too much other stuff going on!!

and therein lies the answer as to why you didn't see many deer :mrgreen:

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 11:54 AM
TOOOOO freakin funny!!!!!

Yah I found a muley,heavy beast right on the top, where you looked earlier this season.

no,I glassed those spots alot,looked nice but they didn't move in there yet.

Put the miles on this season up there for sure, good talking with you while I was up. Planning for nexrt season!!!

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I would like to see a LEH 3pt season for Reg 4. Thin out some of those huge genetic 3 spikes that possibly are doing alot of breeding and making more super buck 3 pts.

One thing about the any buck season is that it will take alot of late season pressure of of the mulies. I am on the fence with this one for now.

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 12:14 PM
I did not see many big mule deer up high either. Dont know but it was a wierd year. Were i thought the deer would be they werent and were i did not expect to see deer their they were and thats were i got mine. I hunted way up high for 3 weeks and only seen a couple of does and on the last day i was able to hunt their he was way down low rutting like a mad man right off the road.

catparts
12-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I would like to see a LEH 3pt season for Reg 4. Thin out some of those huge genetic 3 spikes that possibly are doing alot of breeding and making more super buck 3 pts.

One thing about the any buck season is that it will take alot of late season pressure of of the mulies. I am on the fence with this one for now.

I agree with you there on the leh 3 point,, and yeah wish i could have met up with ya this year man,, gonna definatley have to plan a get together next year for sure maybe have a few wobbly pops and maybe go for a hunt too,, did you guys manage to get anything while you were down??

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Was it just me or was the mule deer season this year a little weird,, for me it was because the mule deer i usually see in the spots i do hunt just werent there! Do you think there may have been a winter die off or, just a weird season in general for rutting ? and what do you thik of the proposed changes opening up any buck for the month of october??? I think in my own honest opinion that would be a horrible idea! I never seen alot of mule deer this year! I have killed my fair share of big mulies and this year i never seen one legal 4 spike buck!

how big are the mulies you've killed and how many?

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I agree with you there on the leh 3 point,, and yeah wish i could have met up with ya this year man,, gonna definatley have to plan a get together next year for sure maybe have a few wobbly pops and maybe go for a hunt too,, did you guys manage to get anything while you were down??
Yah,a 4x3 mulie that went 192 hide and head off, and 1 3spike and 1 4 spike whitie. also filled our whitey doe draw.

Saw a badger down by our Whitey spot, and hundreds of elk down their too. counted 4o mulies in a morning down there too, one was a huge 3pt,running around making more genetic super 3pts.

a camp by us had their tent blow into the river,kinda windy!!!

whitey rut was just coming on,around the 20th,likely would have been really cooking by the 26th or so.

yah let's plan an elk journey next season!!

catparts
12-05-2009, 01:22 PM
yeah the rut did seem a little late this year for sure!! and you know reading about all this elk BS and stuff i say screw it,, yip screw it,, open up 3 spike and better and after 1 maybe 2 years lets come back to this thread and see what people have to say about the elk herds,, chances are there will be ALOT of threads started with the topic,, Where are all the elk?? i can amost guarantee it,, but like i said i am going on what was said to me from guys that are part of the BCWF and the local rod and gun clubs here,,

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 01:23 PM
yeah the rut did seem a little late this year for sure!! and you know reading about all this elk BS and stuff i say screw it,, yip screw it,, open up 3 spike and better and after 1 maybe 2 years lets come back to this thread and see what people have to say about the elk herds,, chances are there will be ALOT of threads started with the topic,, Where are all the elk?? i can amost guarantee it,, but like i said i am going on what was said to me from guys that are part of the BCWF and the local rod and gun clubs here,,

come on, don't be shy how big and how many mulies?

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 01:29 PM
come on, don't be shy how big and how many mulies?he is a little shy and doesn't like to brag ... :tongue::tongue:

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Boys,keep this thing going, I have to go do stupid shit like paying bills and other honey do list stuff.

what about the late season proposal for bow mulies ... :tongue:

catparts
12-05-2009, 01:47 PM
the late season for mulies for archery,, i say bring it on i think that is a good idea most of the time the rut for the mule deer where i hunt,, doesnt start till nov 11th or 12th,, that way a gy can still hunt mulies with his bow during the rut

And just for the record i dont have a mule deer that i have shot that scores under 165 i put ALOT of hard work and time into mule deer hunting,, i think it is the spot and stalk technique that i love so much and mule deer sure are an awesome animal

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 01:55 PM

the late season for mulies for archery,, i say bring it on i think that is a good idea most of the time the rut for the mule deer where i hunt,, doesnt start till nov 11th or 12th,, that way a gy can still hunt mulies with his bow during the rut

And just for the record i dont have a mule deer that i have shot that scores under 165 i put ALOT of hard work and time into mule deer hunting,, i think it is the spot and stalk technique that i love so much and mule deer sure are an awesome animal

So let me get this straight. You say mule deer are in bad shape this year so you don't support an any buck, BUT you support a bow season because it suites your thoughts that the rut doesn't start til the 11th or 12th so that you can hunt them when they're most vulnerable instead of any buck during october when their home range is extremely small and before they've migrated. This makes a lot of sense.

Also you're a big buck hunter, but you're shooting 165" bucks?

Sounds like you want regulations that fit your view of hunting and your ideas have nothing to do with sustainability. Also sound like another 'big buck' hunter that shoots dinks.

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:01 PM
No your wrong there what i said was,, where i usually hunt mule deer there were no legal bucks and very limited deer,, there werent many does in the areas there usually are,, and yeah lots of 3 spike mulies and some cranker 3 spike mulies to boot,, and yes i support a late archery season,, we have an archery season for everything else why not a season for mule deer? I would agree to a 3 point season,, and sorry man dont shoot dink mulies,, If i am going to spend lots of time up in the rocks and high altitudes where i have to spend a night on top of a mountain hunting mule deer,, Im not gonna shoot a dink,, But thats just me I just love being out there,, isnt that what its all about?? just being out there with friends or family or whatever you have?

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 02:07 PM
But thats just me I just love being out there,, isnt that what its all about?? just being out there with friends or family or whatever you have?

Totally, and not regulating everybody else to your beliefs.

Hunting seasons should be sustainable and based on conservation, not based on having a with with 2 and 1/2 points because somebody thinks it's a good idea.

If somebody wants to shoot a smaller buck then you do so be it. Don't tell them they can't because you wouldn't.

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Totally, and not regulating everybody else to your beliefs.

Hunting seasons should be sustainable and based on conservation, not based on having a with with 2 and 1/2 points because somebody thinks it's a good idea.

If somebody wants to shoot a smaller buck then you do so be it. Don't tell them they can't because you wouldn't.
never said they cant shoot them because i wouldnt!! im just saying i wouldnt!

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 02:16 PM
never said they cant shoot them because i wouldnt!! im just saying i wouldnt!
.................................................. .........

and what do you thik of the proposed changes opening up any buck for the month of october??? I think in my own honest opinion that would be a horrible idea! I never seen alot of mule deer this year! I have killed my fair share of big mulies and this year i never seen one legal 4 spike buck!

This has nothing to do with conservation or sustainability.

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:25 PM

You know this thread actually started out as a QUESTION, to everybody on what they thought about mule deer this year? i myself found it to be a different year IMO thank you
and of course it gets blown out of proportion as always on HBC,, Cant have a thread on this site that is normal,, always gotta be someone to bring it down,, but thats typical!

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 02:52 PM

Hey GG this pussy part fellow sounds like a solid guy,sounds like he is all about hunting in itself.

As you are, we really all are mostly on the same page here,we aren't all as brilliant as you are. not that there is anything wrong with having an excellant wildlife management mind. :-?:tongue:

12-05-2009, 03:04 PM

The any buck season in Oct should be pretty much irrevalent as far as overall population trends go. We'll never cause the population to crash with buck hunts.

12-05-2009, 03:09 PM

If there are alot of threads two or three years from now saying "where are all the elk" it certainly will not be because of a 3pt bull season, population growth or decline cannot be impacted by bull harvest alone.

If there actually is a shortage of elk two or three years from now it will more likely be because we didn't shoot enough cows to lower the population below carrying capacity and thus encouraged a major winter kill event.

hunter1947
12-06-2009, 05:56 AM
In the area I hunt in the EK I saw about the same as always.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Sounds like it was tough muley hunting(generally) for much of the Reg 3, 4 and 8. Of course we have almost ZERO snow on the lower winter ranges as I type this. Everything is still spread out. Go for a few long hikes once winter actually arrives and see how many mulies you see.

I saw squat this yr for mulies but then again I didn't have much time to hunt and adapt to what I found once I got out.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
12-06-2009, 09:17 AM
This year in the EK while elk hunting I saw more mule deer than I ever have. Of course, that's MY experience hunting there, and I don't believe that seasons should be based on what I saw. They should be based on the science that tells us that mule deer populations won't be altered by buck seasons, and that harvest across age and sex classes produces the best yield for hunters, and results in some great bucks for those who personally wish to shoot bigger bucks.

Of course, if you sell Cat parts, you can ONLY shoot running 165" or larger bucks at 600 yards, offhand.