PDA

View Full Version : Poll on 3 point elk season in the EK

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Just thinking what the numbers would be since there is such heat around this topic.

Jetboater
12-05-2009, 11:16 AM
imagine if you set it up as an actual Poll...no wonder you want locals out of the area... might actually mess with the gene pool!!!!

BCrams
12-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I already did one a while back. Appears most are in favour of a 3 pt season in the EK.

69.32 percent in favour !!!!

Here's the link.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19470&highlight=kootenay+poll

Now a poll showing how biased local NIMBY people are about out of region hunters would be interesting. Wildlife in British Columbia belongs to everyone.

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I already did one a while back. Appears most are in favour of a 3 pt season in the EK.

69.32 percent in favour !!!!

Here's the link.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19470&highlight=kootenay+poll

Now a poll showing how biased local NIMBY people are about out of region hunters would be interesting. Wildlife in British Columbia belongs to everyone.
Funny that the most votes came from people that live out side reg 4. put all the votes from reg4 together and we still only have 52 people that voted from the reg.4.

BCrams
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Why are you surprised? Reg 4 only makes up 1 region in BC whereas the other votes came from the other 7.

Sounds like to me the local businesses would be drooling with the potential spin offs as well from out of region hunters!!

yiorgo3
12-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Dude relax I am coming out there next year with my 65 yr old father, my hunting partner and his 14 yr old son. So we will take from YOUR region 4, 2 cow elk and 2 3pt Bulls that is all. Thank you in advance!!

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Why are you surprised? Reg 4 only makes up 1 region in BC whereas the other votes came from the other 7.

Sounds like to me the local businesses would be drooling with the potential spin offs as well from out of region hunters!!
I know your right but screw the businesses we are talking about a healthy herd in the long run whats more important money or elk hunting for the long term

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 11:40 AM

Sounds like to me the local businesses would be drooling with the potential spin offs as well from out of region hunters!!The nimby attitudes could care less of the local merchants...its all about me ..me ..my elk imo.

bforce750
12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
edited to remove insults

catparts
12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Here is an idea!! I say lets everybody stop hunting elk for say 3 years! Then everybody buy a tag and go out and shoot the first elk ya see,, that way the numbers will be way too high, right,, this is getting rediculous but in all honesty i can almost guarantee the 3 point season is not gonna happen talking to the treasurer of the BCWF and a couple other guys from rod and gun clbs around the elk valley here,,and i also read in another post somewhere you have to know how to bugle to call in an elk?? I beg to differ on that one,, because i could lay out a huge fart in my tube and call in an elk! remember elk make over 1000 different sounds,, sorry guys but chances are ya wont see the 3 point season,,

BCrams
12-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I know your right but screw the businesses we are talking about a healthy herd in the long run whats more important money or elk hunting for the long term

Would you say elk herds at or exceeding the carrying capacity of which the landbase can support is healthy in the long run??

The business standpoint is just one small side benefit.

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Ho hum, more Region 4 dribble ... :confused:

I voted for only stinky uneatable 6pts.:tongue:

ROEBUCK
12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
bring on a 3 point season ,gets my vote, woud like to kill a bull elk next season in region 4

ROEBUCK
12-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Listen dipsh!!t ,read the POST!!! quit picking fights,Come up and fill your boots.

hes just stating his hunting plans!

you need to keep your hair on!

relax, chill out !!

BCrams
12-05-2009, 11:56 AM
i can almost guarantee the 3 point season is not gonna happen talking to the treasurer of the BCWF

and a couple other guys from rod and gun clbs around the elk valley here

Whats the reasoning behind the objection or why its not going to happen?

Are they based on sound science and decision making?

.300WSMImpact!
12-05-2009, 11:58 AM
It will be good, keep the lower mainland hunters out of region 8 for a while, ;)

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Would you say elk herds at or exceeding the carrying capacity of which the landbase can support is healthy in the long run??

The business standpoint is just one small side benefit.
Iam no biologist but i think were we are right now is a good spot to be. The herds that i see seem to be heathly and doing alright as far as enough food and space. But like i say iam no biologist but iam am an avid outdoors man and from what i have seen in the past couple of years is an good increase in the elk herds and the quality of bulls that are around. Now that being said there are a lot of 5x5 that need to be takin out as to let the bigger trophy bulls pass on there genetics. I only say that cuz there are alot of them out there and the guides in the area want to see the big boys come out on top rather than the little imature bull pass on there genetics. Iam all for big bulls and iam sure alot of guys will take atvantage of the 3 point season killing the first bull they see. For me i will still hunt for the big mature bulls like i always have.

ROEBUCK
12-05-2009, 12:12 PM
so if the herds are healthy and we dont want a 3 point breeding then it has to be a good thing!!

.300WSMImpact!
12-05-2009, 12:15 PM
i just would hate to see them start shooting cows

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I dont think so. I am not sure but i dont think a cow will stand for a really imature bull. Based on what i have seen in the field

BCrams
12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
I am no biologist but i think were we are right now is a good spot to be. The herds that i see seem to be heathly and doing alright as far as enough food and space. But like i say iam no biologist but iam am an avid outdoors man and from what i have seen in the past couple of years is an good increase in the elk herds and the quality of bulls that are around.

Nothing wrong with self educating. A good start would be a chat with your regional bio. who is one smart dude.

to let the bigger trophy bulls pass on there genetics.

the guides in the area want to see the big boys come out on top rather than the little imature bull pass on there genetics.

Interesting. So a little immature bull (which will grow into a bigger bull) changes their genetic make-up as they get older? :mrgreen: I think not.

Iam all for big bulls

For me i will still hunt for the big mature bulls like i always have

You make up the minority of hunters with this philosophy and there is nothing wrong with that! There definatly will be plenty of mature bulls for you to hunt with a 3 pt season.

bforce750
12-05-2009, 12:21 PM
We don't want these monster 5x5 breeding,some 5x5's are always going to be 5's,3points can be 6points,I called in about five 5-point bulls that were huge this year.

d6dan
12-05-2009, 12:22 PM
so if the herds are healthy and we dont want a 3 point breeding then it has to be a good thing!!

What?. Do you think that a 3pt has a different gene than a 6pt?. Where do you get that? :confused:

bforce750
12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
What?. Do you think that a 3pt has a different gene than a 6pt?. Where do you get that? :confused:
Read again,i didnt write that.

d6dan
12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Read again,i didnt write that.

So you think because my post came up under yours, I was referring to you? Duhh!. Read back to some and you'll figure it out Newby!!:tongue: or better yet, read the Quote!!

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I just think that a big mature bull has a better genetic make up due to the fact he is a big mature bull witch has survived long hard winters and hunters long enough to become a herd bull. I cant count how many dead small bulls i find that have died from a hard winter or got killed by a cat or wolf. Iam out in the bush almost every day due to work so i see alot of this.

ROEBUCK
12-05-2009, 12:30 PM

no one can tell what the genes will be like in a 3 point!

untill it becomes a 6 point who knows!!

it might never get past 5 points!!!

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I dont think so. I am not sure but i dont think a cow will stand for a really imature bull. Based on what i have seen in the field

yes they will. Moose are really the only R selected species where you have an issue with breeding and age.

d6dan
12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
no one can tell what the genes will be like in a 3 point!

untill it becomes a 6 point who knows!!

it might never get past 5 points!!!
Or he might not make it, due to hunting...point is, the genes come from both cow and bull. So (Daddy is a 6pt and Mommys Daddy was a 5pt.) Whats he going to be?...:-?

ROEBUCK
12-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Or he might not make it, due to hunting...point is, the genes come from both cow and bull. So (Daddy is a 6pt and Mommys Daddy was a 5pt.) Whats he going to be?...:-?

so if moms dad was a 5 point!

and dad was a 3 point!!

it dont look good for it making a 6 point!!

but im no elk expert,!

Ozone
12-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Whats he going to be?...:-?

Perhaps a she.:-D

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 12:48 PM
so if moms dad was a 5 point!

and dad was a 3 point!!

it dont look good for it making a 6 point!!

Why? A 3 point is a 2 1/2 year old bull - you don't know what that bull will end up as - only his sperm does. Age and genetics are two separate issues.

On this board we usually have a hard timing grappling with basics, getting into a discussion about genetics isn't a good place to be.

d6dan
12-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Why? A 3 point is a 2 1/2 year old bull - you don't know what that bull will end up as - only his sperm does. Age and genetics are two separate issues.

On this board we usually have a hard timing grappling with basics, getting into a discussion about genetics isn't a good place to be.

There ya go. nobody knows. Only the Elk gods know....:wink:

catparts
12-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Whats the reasoning behind the objection or why its not going to happen?

Are they based on sound science and decision making?
Im not saying its definately not going to happen,, because there is slight chance it might,, but all i am saying is the fellas i chatted with that are part of the BCFW,, said that they arent really gonna look at that proposal too close,, thats what was said to ME!!

jml11
12-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I cant count how many dead small bulls i find that have died from a hard winter or got killed by a cat or wolf.

So wouldn't you rather see these bulls harvested by hunters then?

model88
12-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Well, seeings how nobody can agree on this, lets just leave well enough alone and keep the season just the way it is :-D

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
88 you might be on to something if it aint broke dont fix it.
Do any of you old timers remember why the 6 point season was put on?

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Well, seeings how nobody can agree on this, lets just leave well enough alone and keep the season just the way it is :-D

finally,, someone said something good LOL lets just leave it alone lol

kebes
12-05-2009, 02:21 PM
It's not broken yet, but if it's true that herds are at or near carrying capacity, then it could be in some trouble soon? I say better to be proactive than end up having to be reactive. Correct me if I'm wrong?

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:26 PM
It's not broken yet, but if it's true that herds are at or near carrying capacity, then it could be in some trouble soon? I say better to be proactive than end up having to be reactive. Correct me if I'm wrong?

key word in your post kebes is YET,, good on ya man,,

coho456
12-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I have found theres alot more bulls around now then there was twenty years ago ,twenty years ago it was really hard to get a six point .

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:36 PM
So you would rather wait until all hell breaks loose and we have a detrimental herd loss because of a harsh winter? Cmon now....

3 years ago I was also against a 3 point season but that's not the case anymore.
we cant control what mother nature does BUT,, we can CONTROL what our guns do,,do you hunt elk kenkell?? If so i say piss on it open up the 3 point and better,, but dont wine on here about it when you cant find any elk anywhere in a few years!! so what made ya change your mind in the last 3 years?

Everett
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
88 you might be on to something if it aint broke dont fix it.
Do any of you old timers remember why the 6 point season was put on?

Yes it was because we had two bad winters in a row and there was not enough food for the Elk to eat and they starved. We now have 10,000 more Elk than we had in 96 and herd is still growing and less winter range. So what do you think is going to happed if we have a bad winter this year or next. I will spell it out for you guys BIG DIE OFF. Than your right back to the late 90's with no Elk.
What the MOE seems to be trying to do is. Slowly over next 3 years knock the herd back till it is roughly %80 of carrying capacity and try and keep there with what ever restrictions are nenecessary.
Personaly I would like to see a 5point season for next year because killing bulls dosn't stop population growth you need to kill cows. Also I have bugger of a time counting to 6:( as a result probably let a dozen legal Elk go this year.
From what I can see local region 4 hunters will not be happy till they are back in the late 90's with no Elk.

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
we cant control what mother nature does BUT,, we can CONTROL what our guns do,,do you hunt elk kenkell?? If so i say piss on it open up the 3 point and better,, but dont wine on here about it when you cant find any elk anywhere in a few years!! so what made ya change your mind in the last 3 years?

What made me change my mind on 3 point season over the last two years is that there are twenty thousand more now then in the year of 1999.

ramcam
12-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Why would I be surprised with the results with this poll, it seems nobody is happy unless they kill an elk, moose both deer species and maybe throw in a goat. Dont forget it should be all about the opportunity to hunt not kill everything in sight. Yes I am from the Elkvalley and I do not agree with a 3 point or better season. I hunted in the days when you were lucky to kill anything other than a raghorn five point, so bring on the three point rule and see what you get in five years and I will be the first one to say "I told you so".

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Living all bungs a side opening up a 3 point season for 2 or 3 week in the EK is not going to blow the population into no mans land ,the elk population can and would with stand a short opening season in most parts of region 4.
I myself would like to see some of these 5 points tinned out ,I am sure from what I have experienced over my last 10 years of elk hunting that once a five always a five ,take out some of these bulls so we can have a better jean pool http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

catparts
12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
What made me change my mind on 3 point season over the last two years is that there are twenty thousand more now then in the year of 1999.
Think about what you are saying because there are 20,000 more effin hunters ,now than there was then,

Ram Cam,, well said buddy well said,, i will be right beside ya saying told ya so,, thanks for our input,, good to have someone who agrees with me

Hank Hunter
12-05-2009, 03:01 PM
So if we all agree with you, will you stop whining ?

hunter1947
Think about what you are saying because there are 20,000 more effin hunters ,now than there was then,

Ram Cam,, well said buddy well said,, i will be right beside ya saying told ya so,, thanks for our input,, good to have someone who agrees with me

Well that would be a good thing ,more money for the wildlife branch :mrgreen:.

Islandeer
Why would I be surprised with the results with this poll, it seems nobody is happy unless they kill an elk, moose both deer species and maybe throw in a goat. Dont forget it should be all about the opportunity to hunt not kill everything in sight. Yes I am from the Elkvalley and I do not agree with a 3 point or better season. I hunted in the days when you were lucky to kill anything other than a raghorn five point, so bring on the three point rule and see what you get in five years and I will be the first one to say "I told you so".

Maybe someone knows this ratio,, okay how many EK elk,how many 3 pt and above bulls,how many hunters,how many hunting in the EK,hunter success rate say over the last 5 yrs for bull elk, how many elk that need to be trimmed from the herd,actual carrying capacity now for elk in EK,goal carrying cpacity, range land now and range land in the good old days.

we won't talk about local revenues .

So i can't do this but maybe Goat Guy or one of our other great guys could wade in here.

not being a smart ass this time,but this IMO are questions that are part of the puzzle.

Otherwise we just drink whiskey and shoot it out like they do in Surrey. :)

Holy crap more chores,my beautiful wife,yes dear ...

catparts
12-05-2009, 03:02 PM
So if we all agree with you, will you stop whining ?
will you quit hunting?

KB90
12-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Yes it was because we had two bad winters in a row and there was not enough food for the Elk to eat and they starved. We now have 10,000 more Elk than we had in 96 and herd is still growing and less winter range. So what do you think is going to happed if we have a bad winter this year or next. I will spell it out for you guys BIG DIE OFF. Than your right back to the late 90's with no Elk.
What the MOE seems to be trying to do is. Slowly over next 3 years knock the herd back till it is roughly %80 of carrying capacity and try and keep there with what ever restrictions are nenecessary.
Personaly I would like to see a 5point season for next year because killing bulls dosn't stop population growth you need to kill cows. Also I have bugger of a time counting to 6:( as a result probably let a dozen legal Elk go this year.
From what I can see local region 4 hunters will not be happy till they are back in the late 90's with no Elk.

hahaha sounds about right!

People seem to be more concerned with antler size than herd health.

Everett
12-05-2009, 03:05 PM

Actualy they are selling less than 90,000 hunting licenses now and were selling over a 120,000 in the early 90's so you have thing backward. I am sure someone on this site can give you the exact numbers. But there is alot less hunters now than there was 15 years ago.

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 03:06 PM
6616 Andy put a bull ratio number up for elk in the EK it was 28 bulls to 100 cows I believe.

catparts
12-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Actualy they are selling less than 90,000 hunting licenses now and were selling over a 120,000 in the early 90's so you have thing backward. I am sure someone on this site can give you the exact numbers. But there is alot less hunters now than there was 15 years ago.

You got proof of that,, and even if they are selling less licences now,, there are probably more guys out there hunting without licences now anyways,, haha another can of worms was opened,, lets here it now haha oh i can do this all day lol,,and i beg to differ with ya man opposed to 6 or 7 years ago when i would barely run into anybody out hunting in my neck of the woods,,i now run into a tonne of people out hunting,, unless its just a bunch of guys out dressed in camo carrying guns picking blueberries, your #s are wrong,,

catparts
12-05-2009, 03:10 PM
lol..you are so wrong and off base that I honestly can't understand why your still flappin them gums.
By the way, to answer your other question.....I have hunted elk for 30 years here.
if you have hunted elk here for 30 years then why would YOU want to see it go back to the way it was??? im lost here i dont understand you guys most of the time!

Everett
12-05-2009, 03:11 PM
The other point I missed is the average age of hunters in BC is hovering around 50 years of age. Thats why you see so many quads and trucks on the road alot of these guys can't hit the bush to chase Elk so they cruise around on the roads. That and alot of young people are fat and lazy so they are doing the same thing giving the impression of loads of hunters. I ran ran into three hunters this year while hunting off roads and one of those guys was at least 70 and was hunting with his older brother. Ran into him right on top of the ridge.

d6dan
12-05-2009, 03:12 PM
lol..you are so wrong and off base that I honestly can't understand why your still flappin them gums.
By the way, to answer your other question.....I have hunted elk for 30 years here.

x2
I think the LEH's on cow & calf played a big part in the demise of elk in the early 90's.Up to then, It was always good in areas like 4-23 an 4-22.

kebes
12-05-2009, 03:13 PM
and i beg to differ with ya man opposed to 6 or 7 years ago when i would barely run into anybody out hunting in my neck of the woods,,i now run into a tonne of people out hunting

There's the real issue here.

12-05-2009, 03:14 PM

Bozz, I would be very surprized if a ten day 3pt season threatened the elk herd in the long term.

Everett
12-05-2009, 03:16 PM
You got proof of that,, and even if they are selling less licences now,, there are probably more guys out there hunting without licences now anyways,, haha another can of worms was opened,, lets here it now haha oh i can do this all day lol,,and i beg to differ with ya man opposed to 6 or 7 years ago when i would barely run into anybody out hunting in my neck of the woods,,i now run into a tonne of people out hunting,, unless its just a bunch of guys out dressed in camo carrying guns picking blueberries, your #s are wrong,,

Its all on the BC goverment site or send 6616 a PM he will give you the numbers from year to year. I personally don't think there are alot of unlicensed hunters around. Licenses are cheap and you have a good chance of being checked I was checked twice this year and three times last year. You might need to change your kneck of the woods hunters migrate just like Elk:wink:

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 03:20 PM

I hunted elk back in the late 60ties and 70ties in the EK the same area I do today and there where loads of elk I took what was legal being a 6 or a 3 point what ever I saw first it was mine.
On the average I would get one 6 point or bigger every 5th year the other 4 years it was ether a 3,4 or 5 ,I would like to see a 3 point season for a sort opening for 2 years then evaluate the numbers and see if the numbers have dropped or increased http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Hank Hunter
Quote from BCWF release
From 1982-2006 resident hunter numbers plummeted 55%

KB90
Quote:
Originally Posted by catparts
and i beg to differ with ya man opposed to 6 or 7 years ago when i would barely run into anybody out hunting in my neck of the woods,,i now run into a tonne of people out hunting

There's the real issue here.

hahaha so true!

He's just grouchy because people have found his secret spot!

Hank Hunter
12-05-2009, 03:22 PM
the old , stay out of my area BS

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 03:27 PM
the old , stay out of my area BS

Thats correct Hank Hunter ,if you don't want hunters in your region to hunt from other places in BC then stay in your town ,don't leave the town http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Hank Hunter
12-05-2009, 03:31 PM
The only region you hear this attitude from is the EK.

KB90
12-05-2009, 03:32 PM
The only region you hear this attitude from is the EK.

I have noticed this as-well.

anybody know why?

ramcam
12-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I say hunt where ever you want, just dont act like you are in Disney Land. Act respectfull because I live here, I dont own B.C. but i respect it as a whole and would like to be welcomed back to hunt no matter where I have hunted. I believe 47 is a prime example of a guy who comes back year after year and is respectfull of where he hunts.

catparts
12-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Quote from BCWF release
From 1982-2006 resident hunter numbers plummeted 55%

and umm from 2006 to umm now what are the numbers?

Hank Hunter
12-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes Kenkell, most of you guys are great, but there are a few ******s on this site from your neck of the woods, good entertainment lol

kebes
12-05-2009, 03:43 PM

As you've observed (in your woods) the numbers have clearly skyrocketed 45% in the past 3 years.:-D

Everett
12-05-2009, 03:47 PM

In the last three years there has been a small increase in hunting license sales but we are still 30,000+ hunters short of the good ole days.
Catsparts do you mind me asking how old you are and what part of the EK you are from?

catparts
12-05-2009, 03:49 PM
wow it is wayyyy too easy to get a rise out of some of you guys??? And no kylebartels im not pissed because someone found my secret spot,, i dont have a secret spot in all honesty there is a guy on this site I shared some info with when he came down for mule deer and whitetails,, and i told him exactly where i hunt in my neck of the woods,, doesnt bother me at all, i gave him some good advice on where to hunt mulies in the same areas i hunt the mulies,, so no i dont care who comes down here hunting,, just dont contact me when ya wanna know where to go,,only a few guys on this site are decent enough for me to share my spots with and those guys are trustworthy guys,,

catparts
12-05-2009, 03:50 PM
In the last three years there has been a small increase in hunting license sales but we are still 30,000+ hunters short of the good ole days.
Catsparts do you mind me asking how old you are and what part of the EK you are from?

I do mind! and who says i am from the east kootenays?

d6dan
12-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I say hunt where ever you want, just dont act like you are in Disney Land. Act respectfull because I live here, I dont own B.C. but i respect it as a whole and would like to be welcomed back to hunt no matter where I have hunted. I believe 47 is a prime example of a guy who comes back year after year and is respectfull of where he hunts.

Whos hunting in Disneyland?.

You should go and meet Hunter1947 at his camp next year, and bring Catpart and Bozzy along too. I know he has more respect for the areas he hunts in than most locals do...:wink: You young fellas might learn something too.

catparts
12-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Whos hunting in Disneyland?.

You should go and meet Hunter1947 at his camp next year, and bring Catpart and Bozzy along too. I know he has more respect for the areas he hunts in than most locals do...:wink: You young fellas might learn something too.
bozz is a well known elk hunter trust me man,, and as for me ?? well if you only knew!! i dont need no pointers on elk hunting lol thats a good one,ahh shit my guts hurt from laughing ah lol wow,, this site should be renamed huntingdramabc.ca!!!!!!! there is a reason i have no pictures posted and never will have any pictures posted and no info on myself guys sorry!!!!

12-05-2009, 04:00 PM
I would like to see a 3 point season for a sort opening for 2 years then evaluate the numbers and see if the numbers have dropped or increased http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Actually Wayne, there's a good chance that kind of study would be inconclusive anyway. The elk population "is" always going to change over any 2 or 3 year period, it may go up, it may go down, and the reasons may or may not be determinable, and it will be impossible to determine if it's due to bull harvest rates since there are many other potential things that can and will effect population density a great deal more. The numbers of antlerless kills, winter weather patterns, and predation levels, being the most prominent, besides, bull harvest rates and bull/cow ratios are not major factors in population dynamics, so they're least likely to be the cause of a decline or increase.

The real problem with the 6pt season is that it targets the mature bulls only. Theoretically the best harvest strategy is to harvest across all age and sex classes. That's why a 3pt season is a better idea then a 5pt season. A 5pt season will lower the average kill age by a much smaller amount then 3pt season which would target all bull age classes except for yearlings resulting in a balanced male component with surviving cohorts in all age classes.

Antler point restrictions for any species of deer or elk always have the potential to play hell with genetics over the long term. The reason is because no matter what age class/antler configuation is chosen as the cut-off line, the superior specimans from the next lower age class often have antlers big enough to look a year older and become vulnerable, and considering he's young and stupid he's likely going to get shot, so in effect you're culling the best genetics even though that's not the intention. Remember a 4pt mulie that's only 2 1/2 years old or 5pt bull elk that's only 3 1/2 years old probably carries very good genetics but are the easiest ones to kill. Antler point restriction would work very well if the number of times were directly related to the animals age, but they're not, so there is a major flaw and inherent risk in antler point restrictions. It's still better then LEH any day...!

catparts
Cmon Mr. Zielinski, tell us where you live..... lol

excuse me??

Hank Hunter
Another hide behind the keyboard expert on everything, too funny

d6dan
12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
bozz is a well known elk hunter trust me man,, and as for me ?? well if you only knew!! i dont need no pointers on elk hunting lol thats a good one,ahh shit my guts hurt from laughing ah lol wow,, this site should be renamed huntingdramabc.ca!!!!!!! there is a reason i have no pictures posted and never will have any pictures posted and no info on myself guys sorry!!!!

Yeah, probably been banned from here before or your a Guide Outfitter doing some fishing?...:tongue:

Oh I'm sure the Bozz is a good hunter, We all were at one time in life...

Everett
12-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I do mind! and who says i am from the east kootenays?

Actualy you are from Sparewood I figured Fernie from your attitudes and outlooks but hey everyone can be wrong once and while:mrgreen:. I figure you are between 25 and 33 in age.

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 04:02 PM

This site has rules no name calling HBC is on tops out of all the hunting sites http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

KB90
12-05-2009, 04:04 PM

Very modest guy........

I call BS ;)

Everett
12-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, probably been banned from here before or your a Guide Outfitter doing some fishing?...:tongue:

Oh I'm sure the Bozz is a good hunter, We all were at one time in life...

Nah he works for Finning.

Jelvis
12-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Probably all of them live in Surrey by the sounds of it lol --
Hey nothing wrong with surrey lol no elk there. Chips on there shoulders tho
I got relatives in Cranbrook they say the elk are plentiful.
Jel -- chips on there young shoulders -- from the wood above it lol
Ask a bio and get things in order, your all over the place - extremely emotional lol.

d6dan
12-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Nah he works for Finning.

A wrench? :-? salesman?..
Do you think he likes my user name???:tongue:

d6dan
12-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Probably all of them live in Surrey by the sounds of it lol --
Hey nothing wrong with surrey lol no elk there. Chips on there shoulders tho
I got relatives in Cranbrook they say the elk are plentiful.
Jel -- chips on there young shoulders -- from the wood above it lol
Ask a bio and get things in order, your all over the place - extremely emotional lol.

Well where have you been Jelvis? Its about time you weighed in on this one:wink:

catparts
12-05-2009, 04:10 PM
This site has rules no name calling HBC is on tops out of all the hunting sites http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.
umm who am i exactly calling names??
all it is here is drama a guy cannot express his own opinion on here without getting shit on in the end right??, im just saying when there is NO 3 point season here in the kootenays and you guys cant bag an elk,, im the one driving by waving!! oh and i will leave the antlers hanging out the box of the truck a little bit so you can see it lol
yeah i work for finning so what?

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 04:10 PM
SOUNDS LIKE CHEVYS BACK:wink:

Hank Hunter
12-05-2009, 04:15 PM
We know who is creating the drama dont we pussycat

hunter1947
12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
umm who am i exactly calling names??
all it is here is drama a guy cannot express his own opinion on here without getting shit on in the end right??, im just saying when there is NO 3 point season here in the kootenays and you guys cant bag an elk,, im the one driving by waving!! oh and i will leave the antlers hanging out the box of the truck a little bit so you can see it lol
yeah i work for finning so what?

This years elk http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/leaf_420.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15741&size=big&cat=&ppuser=941)

Last years elk.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_1245.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10711&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=941)

Jelvis
12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
If it is a chevy then we need Will to keep him or her in check lol.
Will can handle the chevy from the Levi -- lol --
Jel -- Will. We need you lol -- +++ --

catparts
12-05-2009, 04:22 PM

why am i getting emails and stuff,, about chevy?? seriously, i work with him,and his new name is gunned1978,, just so you know,, but think what ya want i dont care anymore,,

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 04:23 PM
nothing wrong with a chevy..welcome back dude!

Islandeer
12-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Back from cutting the grass,... on my lawn.

nice bull Wayne. Nice to see a good ol Island boy with a nice Region 4 6spike.

really kids there are enough toys in the toy box for everyone.

I was raised in a senior biologist's house, so i have heard the stats and the local's retorts. Hey I bitch locally too.

there really is something to balancing the harvest over the age classes, you need to really wrap your head around the stats and the concept.

The big 6pts that are back aways will only be taken by the same guys that took them last season. and not everyone will get a 3pt or better. So overall things will benefit the herd. And hey in the 30 yrs I have hunted mulies in your EK I have never met a local guy that wasn't a good shit in my books. Ouy.

d6dan
12-05-2009, 04:36 PM
i work with him,and his new name is gunned1978,, just so you know,, but think what ya want i dont care anymore,,

Ya we know. No such user...:tongue:

catparts
12-05-2009, 04:41 PM
islandeer you called me while you were down i tried to help out as much as i could for you! I hope i helped anyways dude and i hope you guys got what you came for i really do,, and to whoever else comes to the ek hunting and is succesfull good on ya guys and gals,,,and you know i would probably help out anybody to be honest with ya but think of me what ya will, i dont care,

budismyhorse
12-05-2009, 04:42 PM
the proposed 3 pt season (under 1100 m) won't have much of an impact.

Gateholio
12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
chevy
gunned1978
catparts
wes zielinski

all the same guy.

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 06:58 PM
This thread is starting to get good. Hunter1947 sounds like you know a thing or two about elk. And good for you there are 2 nice bull you have there. Here is some food for thought i put this in another thread but this one is getting all the action so here it is.
Do we think that maby we should try a leh for 3 point or better for a few years and see how that goes first befor we make the jump at a full out gos.

bozzdrywall
12-05-2009, 06:59 PM
O and one more thing can we leave catparts alone he is just trying to make a point i know him very well and he is not a bad guy he has an opinion just like the rest of us

frenchbar
12-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Full out 3 pt or better gos!!!!!

brotherjack
12-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Do we think that maby we should try a leh for 3 point or better for a few years and see how that goes first befor we make the jump at a full out gos.

Nope, I totally disagree -- we should have been back to a 3 point season years ago already.

ramcam
12-05-2009, 07:37 PM
D6Dan I was paying 47 a compliment, are you that fired up that you cant make sense out of what I was saying?

d6dan
12-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Who's fired up?

Your post says it all! :tongue:

Vader
12-06-2009, 12:33 AM
It would appear we learned very little from limited entry and the way it was managed.
IMO the fault was the allocation for anterless and calf numbers that caused the numbers to plummet. For an example 4-20 used to have 2200 cow/calf tags in several combinations.. but all the same 2200 total.. for YEARS.. in an area that had good numbers to begin with and then plummeted to sub 1000 cows and calves. And yet there was still 1200 to 1300 tags put out..
I agree that we have been killing breed stock (6 point) for far too long. In the past 5 years I have seen an over abundance of 5 points holding herds... some really massive buggers that appear to be 5 points forever..
I have also noticed that the body size and the antler size/mass has been shrinking as well.
I agree with 1947 and his observations as well. Thats what 40 years in the bush will tell ya... not 4 years behind books, and 4 more behind a desk.

Hank Hunter
12-06-2009, 01:05 AM
chevy
gunned1978
catparts
wes zielinski

Now it makes sense

hunter1947
12-06-2009, 07:54 AM
This thread is starting to get good. Hunter1947 sounds like you know a thing or two about elk. And good for you there are 2 nice bull you have there. Here is some food for thought i put this in another thread but this one is getting all the action so here it is.

BW yes this would work if you like the LEH system I don't.

My thoughts on this matter would be to have a 3 or better season for the opening this would not put as much pressher on the big breeding bulls at this time of the season.

Have the 3 or better season opened up for a 2 week period then the remainder of the elk season have a 6 or better.

The elk management can try this for 2 years and the evaluate the population to see if numbers are stable then go from there.

If the numbers of elk decline in the two year season for 3 points then let the biologist decide what they should do they are the experts not us.

My opinion is that the population of elk will stay stable in the Ek if they do implement a 3 point season for 3 point for a 10 day or 14 day season as long as we don't get a bad winter like the one in 96.

Habitat is hard to find for the elk in the low line areas during winter months when they have to compete with the cattle ,why not put some elk meat in your freezers if the numbers are HI ???.

bozzdrywall
12-06-2009, 08:27 AM
BW yes this would work if you like the LEH system I don't.

My thoughts on this matter would be to have a 3 or better season for the opening this would not put as much pressher on the big breeding bulls at this time of the season.

Have the 3 or better season opened up for a 2 week period then the remainder of the elk season have a 6 or better.

The elk management can try this for 2 years and the evaluate the population to see if numbers are stable then go from there.

If the numbers of elk decline in the two year season for 3 points then let the biologist decide what they should do they are the experts not us.

My opinion is that the population of elk will stay stable in the Ek if they do implement a 3 point season for 3 point for a 10 day or 14 day season as long as we don't get a bad winter like the one in 96.

Habitat is hard to find for the elk in the low line areas during winter months when they have to compete with the cattle ,why not put some elk meat in your freezers if the numbers are HI ???.
i like this i could live with the first 10 - 14 days being open to 3 or better but maby keep it to below 1100 m what do you think about that? I dont like the leh system but it would generate money for the moe. As the poll numbers show i bet everyone who would want a chance at a smaller bull would draw for one. As for a bad winter i think we have one in the making we are about due for one so lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best

hunter1947
12-06-2009, 08:53 AM
i like this i could live with the first 10 - 14 days being open to 3 or better but maby keep it to below 1100 m what do you think about that? I dont like the leh system but it would generate money for the moe. As the poll numbers show i bet everyone who would want a chance at a smaller bull would draw for one. As for a bad winter i think we have one in the making we are about due for one so lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best

If they keep a 3 point opening below the 11 m elevation it would not help out the jean pool breeding bulls above the 11 m elevation.

My thoughts on opening season anywhere would take out younger bulls and not put as much pressher on the big breeding bulls that do most of the breeding.

If you are a trophy hunter and there is a short opening for 3 points you don't have to shoot a small bull thats your choice go for the big one.

cloverphil
12-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Funny that the most votes came from people that live out side reg 4. put all the votes from reg4 together and we still only have 52 people that voted from the reg.4.
correct me if I'm wrong but there are more people living outside of region 4 than there are living in region 4, hence more votes; I would imagine there was a lot more animals in region 2 before the cities were built here and the population base has pushed the animals into all the other regions, there is no season for moose or elk in region 2, but I did see 3 palmated bull mooose last month in squamish

bozzdrywall
12-06-2009, 09:28 AM
well this thread has been an eye opener for me now i think i would agree with a SHORT 3 point season. But part of me still thinks there will be a over harvest guess we will just have to wait and see. Good luck to all in the upcomming season of 2010

Fisher-Dude
12-06-2009, 10:00 AM
It's simple. We had twice as many elk hunters when there was a 3 point season as we do now, and the season was sustainable for over 30 years with no effect on the elk population. We shot lots of big bulls back then too.

Those who say we have more elk hunters in the EK now are wrong. We averaged about 11,000 elk hunters in the late 1980s, and we average about 5,000 - 6,000 elk hunters now. The harvest stats don't lie. History is a great teacher, and from it we know that the EK elk can easily handle a 3 point season without any damage to herds.

mcrae
12-06-2009, 10:15 AM
My understanding on the 3 point season is it will not include the W.Koots if they open up the LEH area's to a GOS? Is this the case or is the proposal region wide? I have always thought a season like the 6 point restriction that targets the mature animals was a bit odd. Most guys will take a nice 3 point for the freezer and leave the big boys to breed the cows.

The guys that want big bulls should be happy they want a 3 point restricion imposed IMO it will leave more of the big bulls around for the guys who want to hunt "trophy" quality as opposed to "meat" quality animals.

I myself and most of my hunting partners will tag out on "meat" bulls if given the chance.

mcrae
12-06-2009, 10:18 AM
That 1100 M rule is probably one of the most ridiculous and unenforceable rules our region currently has!!!! Totally stupid!!

I agree I ran into our local CO this fall and he was spending allot of time running around checking on complaints that guys where hunting above 1100 M he seemed really annoyed by the rule as it was wasting his time.

.300WSMImpact!
12-06-2009, 10:20 AM
where do you find the stats, like hunter numbers and animals estimated taken in specific areas