PDA

View Full Version : blade material

watson721
12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
so i don't know a lot about types of steel for knife blades and such and was wondering what are some descent types of steel etc.

Devilbear
12-04-2009, 07:43 PM
My favourite custom knives are made from D2 and S30V steels by Gene Ingram and Charlie May in Mississippi, USA. These are "stock removal" types and are perfect in workmanship and light to carry, but, it takes 2-4 years per order to get one.

I have other custom knives from O-1, 154CM, 440C and a handforged one from a young maker in Georgia, that shows the "temper line", takes a fine edge and cuts like a razor. All in all, if you will buy a good sharpening rig with diamond hones and use it properly, my preference in hunting blades is D2.

There are, btw, some pretty good makers here in B.C. and Del Corsi, Steve Price, Harald Moeller and a couple of others have shown me very impressive knives in past years. Steve Price, whom I have lost track of, made some of the most flawless knifes I have ever seen and used various steels, even "Vascowear".

Be careful, one can become a "knifeaholic" just as easily as a "gunaholic" and it can lead a fine young man to ruin and large debt loads on your "plastic"...... ;)

Gateholio
12-04-2009, 08:20 PM
so i don't know a lot about types of steel for knife blades and such and was wondering what are some descent types of steel etc.

Depends on what you want to do wiht the knife?

watson721
12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
hunting, outdoors etc

RBH
12-04-2009, 08:28 PM
[quote=Devilbear;569599]if you will buy a good sharpening rig with diamond hones and use it properly, my preference in hunting blades is D2./quote]

Do you have to have a diamond hone for D2? I recently bought a D2 knife and picked up a lansky sharpening system but stone not diamond hone model. hoping it does the trick. What is your experience, Devilbear?

Blacktail
12-04-2009, 08:30 PM
There are many different types of steel that can be used
As Gatehouse said it depends on what you want to use it for

I have used a few different types of steel, 154CM,s30V,and even 440C
A steel is considered stainless if it has a chromium content of over 13 percent.
there are many good tool steels out there mut some may show corrosion over time due to a lower chrome content

ElkMasterC
12-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Contact Blacktail or DDog on here. They'll make what you want, and the price is decent. Even if you don't want to buy a custom knife, DDog , who made me a beauty, is very knowledgeable and helpful with steels and heat-treating methods, and what Rockwell hardness means, etc etc.

DDog can tell you all you need to know.
For everyday hunting knives, I prefer a moderately high-carbon steel. Softer and easier to sharpen. Loses an edge easier, but takes a very quick edge with my handy Speedy Sharp.

Edit....and of course, while I was thumb-typing, Blacktail posted...lol.
He knows more than most here, so take it away, BT.

Blacktail
12-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Can't say as I know it all ElkMasterC

I do however like a knife as you do, one that is a little softer( around 58-59 Rockwell) that will still hold a good edge but when the edge does go it will come back with relative ease.
It also depends on the type of steel you use as it has a relation to the final hardness range after final tempering

Ddog
12-04-2009, 09:33 PM
i can give you lots of information on steels and rockwell and heat treating, but lots of different knifemakers have different opinions on steels, todays steels are all good and they all have some specific use more than another, some are better at holding an edge and some have better corrosion resistance, etc etc etc.
i agree full with what BT said on the RH of a blade but i do also like them up to about 61RH, the 61 take a little longer to sharpen but hold an edge just a little longer.
if you send me your email address in a PM i can give a point to some great sites on steels, or i can send some info of my own that is virtually the same as a whole bunch of sites into one.
If you want a knife made you should contact Blacktail, i am way to busy right now to take on a new project.
Although if you do contact him you have to deal with an Albertan ;) ;)
just a little poke at ya Roy
cheers....D

Blacktail
12-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I was a BC'er for 50 years:wink:

just got a couple pieces of steel yesterday too!!