PDA

View Full Version : E-Caller Alert!!!

f350ps
12-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I hate to bring this topic back again but the e-caller boys are at it again. If you're opposed to it ya better get on the phone or email or whatever to Victoria and Ottawa and voice your displeasure. Some people must have a hard time gettin their limit and need all the help they can get! :confused: K

Brew
12-04-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't understand. Do have have something against using electronic predator calls or something.

KB90
12-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Its in the marsh forum so I assume he means that people are trying to make electronic calls for ducks legal here in BC.

Dirty
12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
KyleBartels is way smarter than his cousin TodBartell.

Gateholio
12-04-2009, 08:12 PM
What happened with the BCWF resolution on this at last convention? I must admit I'd forgotten about the issue.

fowl language
12-04-2009, 08:49 PM
hi clark, this resolution was passed 123 to 3 at the last convention. i had hoped that the e caller would help some young hunters get a few more geese and make it a little bit more help harvesting before the population implodes with disease and we could have a healthy flock for years to come.now that the geese have migrated further a field this hopefully open up more opportunities for all waterfowlers. unfortunately i guess you cant make all people happy. for those who dont know the ecaller motion was only designed for snow geese only and has nothing to do with the schedule c animals that are legal to harvest with e callers....fowl

Gateholio
12-04-2009, 08:59 PM
123 to 3?

Let them e-call!
:mrgreen:

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I really do not see what the position against e-callers is. I for one been lobbying for years to make them legal for all game animals. Some hunters have not the inclination, talent or time to become good callers with air/hand operated calls. Why should they not be able to use e-callers? I just can't see what the problem or the difference is between the same sound made with a trad. call or an e-call. Is it perceived unethical? Is it not sporting? Is it believed to be an unfair advantage? I just don't get it.

I use mouth and hand operated calls for all my waterfowl, turkey and deer hunting. I have also hunted with people who used e-callers legally on waterfowl, deer and turkeys and I can not recall that these hunters attracted more game with it or that it was easier for them to attract game. In fact I am convinced that even the animals can't tell the difference.

ElkMasterC
12-04-2009, 09:44 PM
I can't be bothered learning how to shoot, so I'll just get a big-ass Magnum.

I can't be bothered to learn how to really use a bow, so I'll just get a crossbow.

Oh, and I just don't have the time or the inclination to learn how to use a coyote call, a duck call, a deer call, or God Forbid, learn how to bugle for Elk.

Maybe I'll just buy a little electronic box full of push-button recordings that attract animals.

Next year I hope to be able to pay someone to hunt FOR me, so I don't have to bother with all that learning how to do stuff, and getting all bloody, and junk.

I'll just Photoshop my head in later.

It's gonna be great. Wait til I post 'em on Facebook.

I'll Twitter ya when it's ready. http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/smiley_emoticons_zombies_rolleyes.gif

Gateholio
12-04-2009, 09:54 PM

I can't be bothered to learn how to really use a bow, so I'll just get a crossbow.

Oh, and I just don't have the time or the inclination to learn how to use a coyote call, a duck call, a deer call, or God Forbid, learn how to bugle for Elk.

Maybe I'll just buy a little electronic box full of push-button recordings that attract animals.

Next year I hope to be able to pay someone to hunt FOR me, so I don't have to bother with all that learning how to do stuff, and getting all bloody, and junk.

I'll Twitter ya when it's ready. http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/smiley_emoticons_zombies_rolleyes.gif

I guess you hunt wiht a spear?:tongue:

ElkMasterC
12-04-2009, 09:57 PM
I guess you hunt wiht a spear?:tongue:

No only some psycho desperate for the attention would do such a thing.....

Stage ;-)

(The wink, of course, means I'm joking...before some ridiculous pissing match ensues........like if I said "Let me guess: Magnum, Crossbow, Foxpro". That would just be provoking controversy. And it's not like me to do that. As you know.)

Gateholio
12-04-2009, 09:59 PM
No only some psycho desperate for the attention would do such a thing.....

Stage ;-)

So I guess you are okay with using technological advancements after all?:wink:

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 10:12 PM

The above hardly can be compared to calling. You're not going to kill game with a call.

Maybe I'll just buy a little electronic box full of push-button recordings that attract animals.So in other words. If I understand you right. You think it is to easy. Should hunting be as difficult as possible to be appreciated or respected? An art form perhaps? Is there any difference in calling an elk, deer, duck or coyote with an e-call to a coyote? What makes it okay to use e-calls for song dogs but not for other game? Is the coyote less of an animal than an elk and therefore deserves less respect and effort?

What about the hunter, like the one I guided on a turkey hunt, who just hasn't got the talent to make a series of decent turkey sounds, despite years of practicing. Should we say to him "Though luck buddy, go buy your turkey in the super store. Or better yet quit hunting."

Next year I hope to be able to pay someone to hunt FOR me, so I don't have to bother with all that learning how to do stuff, and getting all bloody, and junk. Have camouflage, high powered magnum rifles, treestands and an array of other modern technology made hunting easier? Not really. Because you still have to learn about the animals you hunt and develop sound hunting strategies. E-calls, as any other call, will do no good if the hunter does not know where, when and how to employ them. Example: If a hunter has no clue about coyotes and how to hunt the dogs the most expensive e-call will be utterly useless. It's the same with elk, deer, turkey, ducks or geese.

I'll just Photoshop my head in later.That's been already done more times than you know. It has been done by ordinary hunters and celebrities alike. Some have been found out others got lucky.:wink:

ElkMasterC
12-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Sometimes.......sometimes, I wonder why I bother.......

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Facepalmagain.jpg

But then Matt 7:6 makes it all better again.

KB90
12-04-2009, 10:27 PM
The above hardly can be compared to calling. You're not going to kill game with a call.

So in other words. If I understand you right. You think it is to easy. Should hunting be as difficult as possible to be appreciated or respected? An art form perhaps? Is there any difference in calling an elk, deer, duck or coyote with an e-call to a coyote? What makes it okay to use e-calls for song dogs but not for other game? Is the coyote less of an animal than an elk and therefore deserves less respect and effort?

What about the hunter, like the one I guided on a turkey hunt, who just hasn't got the talent to make a series of decent turkey sounds, despite years of practicing. Should we say to him "Though luck buddy, go buy your turkey in the super store. Or better yet quit hunting."

Have camouflage, high powered magnum rifles, treestands and an array of other modern technology made hunting easier? Not really. Because you still have to learn about the animals you hunt and develop sound hunting strategies. E-calls, as any other call, will do no good if the hunter does not know where, when and how to employ them. Example: If a hunter has no clue about coyotes and how to hunt the dogs the most expensive e-call will be utterly useless. It's the same with elk, deer, turkey, ducks or geese.

That's been already done more times than you know. It has been done by ordinary hunters and celebrities alike. Some have been found out others got lucky.:wink:

Thumbs up!;)

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Sometimes.......sometimes, I wonder why I bother.......

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/Facepalmagain.jpg

But then Matt 7:6 makes it all better again.

I am not looking for an argument. I really thought you could give some valuable answers. I guess it's the same as with the anti crossbow arguments. No factual answers. So one refers to Matt 7:6 ans the like.:wink:

ElkMasterC
12-04-2009, 10:36 PM
I am not looking for an argument.

That's good, cuz I don't really read your posts.

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 10:41 PM
That's good, cuz I don't really read your posts. Well that explains everything then.:wink:

ROEBUCK
12-04-2009, 10:42 PM
ban em ,id never use one of them,
ban rifles and crossbows and compound bows
and atv,s,snowmachines,and camo clothing,and knives,
lets go back to the stoneage

Crazy_Farmer
12-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Ummm I cant believe a deer hunter or should I say elk hunter on here actually gets it for once. I'm shocked.

Oh and I was wondering Fowl, I heard you can call all types of waterfowl in except for Brant, does this mean they're next of your ecaller list to get passed? :wink:

I do have to confess I'm like you I cant call them very good at all, and would find my hunts out there so much better if I could just turn the speakers on in the punt and get em to come right in with the help of an ecaller.

f350ps
12-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Holy shitte Dale, I can't believe that you would use the hunter recruitment card on this AGAIN! So what you are saying is if I was new at the game all I have to do is spend another $5-6 or maybe $7 hun and I can kill a bunch of snows like you do? This is getting old and I hope it dies a miserable death. As far as Gatehouses's comments go, who gives a shitte what you think on this issue, have you ever seen a Snow Goose other than in a picture? I think half the time the only reason you post something is just to stir the pot a bit?? Light er' up and flame on. Kelly

f350ps
12-05-2009, 08:13 AM
123 to 3 just means there were 123 sheep and 3 snow goose hunters. This only reafirms my belief in BCWF. K

crazy ducker
12-05-2009, 08:38 AM
fowl if you want more snow geese killed maybe then they should let people hunt on westham island more. where the magority of snow geese are killed. how is an e-caller going to get more people into hunting. what a bs statement.
there is to much private land, and they don't let anyone hunt them Why didn't they pass that you can bait them too.I hope this doesn't pass

fowl language
12-05-2009, 08:54 AM
good morning crazy farmer ,had you read my post you would have understood that this e caller issue was for snow geese only and no other waterfowl was mentioned.as far as brant goes i spent about a month before the season learning the sounds of brant and managed to get half decent at it,so no i wouldnt be going for an e caller for brant next...kelly as i understand it, it was you that brought this up again,as you might recall.which would have let it rest if you hadnt brought it up again.. and i could probably rig up an ecaller for about 150.00 so if you own a robo duck its about the same expense,i guess some would say a robo duck is an electronic attractant,,maybe someone could explain the difference...according to the biologists we need to thin the flock a bit to keep a healthy population. that coupled with the fact it has attracted new hunters to the area and the birds spread out as far as cloverdale im sure this tool will be an asset for the future, that and the fact we are the only province west of quebec that dont have e callers for snows.....personnally i can only use so many birds, which we manage to get, so im hoping o help others as we need more shot.....fowl

Crazy_Farmer
12-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Only bugging you Fowl. I remember a conversion from the last day of brant last season where you said you couldnt call brant at all, but then your buddy said you were the best canada goose caller he knew. I know its only for snow geese, maybe if they opened a season north of the fraser I'd care more since we see a few every year. But its just every guy I know who chases snows down there doesnt want it, but you and the guys you hunt with.

fowl language
12-05-2009, 09:24 AM
crazy ducker, i harvested the majority of my birds off westham island,so i guess there is something to doing your homework....fowl

mattchu_19
12-05-2009, 09:37 AM
that and the fact we are the only province east of quebec that dont have e callers for snows

I didn't know BC was east of Quebec.

field marshal
12-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Holy Moley;
And I thought I was the only grouchy poster on this site??? :mrgreen:
Good gunning everyone:-D
Cheers Field Marshal.

huntwriter
12-05-2009, 10:00 AM

Clarification to the above comment I made in an earlier post:

I received three PM's asking if I guide here in British Columbia. The answer is no. I did guide and outfit deer and turkey hunts when I lived in America.

On e-callers: I have read the thread and could not find any factual answers from the anti e-callers why it should not be permitted. So I am inclined to believe that is for the same reasons why some bowhunters do not like crossbows. Educate me why e-callers should not be permitted in your opinion.

mattchu_19
12-05-2009, 10:32 AM
On e-callers: I have read the thread and could not find any factual answers from the anti e-callers why it should not be permitted. So I am inclined to believe that is for the same reasons why some bowhunters do not like crossbows. Educate me why e-callers should not be permitted in your opinion.

Ok, Heres how I see it. First off E-callers are unreal tools used on snows, and I am completely for the use of them in the right situation. For the most part, the areas where E-callers are used, they are hunting migrating snows from a population that hardly ever has a bad hatch, not like our wintering birds we have here. Also the Mid-continent population of snows travel and get hunted in a area of thousands of acreas of rural farm land not like in BC region 2-4. Adding a E-caller to a population of wintering birds that dont have the area to be hunted will make the birds even more unhuntable. I dont feel that it will bring new hunters into the sport. To me it is a short term plan to benifit some hunters and in the long run I think E-callers would ruin Region 2-4 due to its size and area of huntable snows. Just my opinion.

Farmer John
12-05-2009, 12:06 PM
in the long run I think E-callers would ruin Region 2-4 due to its size and area of huntable snows. Just my opinion.

I agree 100%.

Gateholio
12-05-2009, 12:06 PM
As far as Gatehouses's comments go, who gives a shitte what you think on this issue, have you ever seen a Snow Goose other than in a picture? I think half the time the only reason you post something is just to stir the pot a bit?? Light er' up and flame on. Kelly

If you didn't want opinions, why did you start a thread?

But I guess you are correct, it doesn't really matter what I think about the topic personally. 123 to 3 is what is important.

303Brit
12-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I must say I don't understand why this is such a touchy topic.
there are many other technologic advancements that have aided hunters over the years. Everything From laser range finders to those fancy new pitlamps.

I'm an alrite duck caller I guess, but I still am a brutal goose caller. To the point where I don't really call them at all. I'm not saying I would buy or use an E-call. I just can't understand why a Robo or Mojo can been legal and seen as such a good thing to have, and a E-call is Hitler reincarnated.

I have seen an E-call employed before to no real benefit. Long story made short, we were hunting in a field and we new there was a group in the tree line on the otherside of the field. legal light hits and they started calling, was more like a looped cd of calls. between our spread (in the middle of the field) and my buddies good calling we managed to nock a combined 7 geese and 14 ducks in 2hrs. as we were packing up I spot a pheasant near the tall grass at the corner of the field, went an investigated....Nothing.

On my return I stopped by the other blind to see how they were making out, and tripped over there speaker wire. I informed them that it was illegal, and ask how they had made out, 3 birds between 4 guys. So I guess the proof is in the pudding they had the call and a huge spread compared to ours. But a lack of knowledge or the birds knowing the difference, led to us having a good morning and them not soo much.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I just don't get it

huntwriter
12-05-2009, 02:23 PM
To me it is a short term plan to benifit some hunters and in the long run I think E-callers would ruin Region 2-4 due to its size and area of huntable snows. Just my opinion.

Why do you think that e- callers would ruin Region 2-4 in the long run? E-callers have been used for many other game species in America and here and we have not seen any adverse affects on the populations. Please elaborate why it would ruin region 2-4 in your opinion. This is a subject of great interest to me and I would love to hear all the different pro and con opinions. No bashing, just opinions.

huntwriter
12-05-2009, 02:28 PM
So I guess the proof is in the pudding they had the call and a huge spread compared to ours. But a lack of knowledge or the birds knowing the difference, led to us having a goo morning and them not soo much.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I just don't get it

You hit the nail on the proverbial head. No matter what technology a hunter uses he still has to learn about the animals and develop proper hunting tactics to make calling work. Be that with traditional or electronic calls.

It's a bit like the deer hunter who complained to me that scent doesn't work. The reason it did not work for him was because he did not know how to hunt and how to employ scent into a sound hunting strategy. Technology will only help those that have the knowledge to to use it. Technology will not hunt for you.

Crazy_Farmer
12-05-2009, 03:54 PM
The Greater snow geese on the eastern coast, the ones going through quebec, that population is at 1 million.

The mid-continent lesser population coming down from NWT down, the prairie provinces and south, that population is in the neighborhood of 5 million snow geese and ross geese.

The Wrangel Island population seems to go up or down depending on the spring hatch on Wrangel. Last year they were hit with a real bad storm and then add a high population of predators on the island and so the geese that come here went from 100K down to 55-60k. Anyone could notice the lack of juvies out there last year, they just werent there. It got so bad with guys not being able to decoy mature birds that they stopped hunting them. This year was a pretty good hatch though, so their numbers should be up.

Every other flyway, or province that is using e-callers on snow geese, it is in areas where the geese are MIGRATING through. The Fraser-Skagit populations WINTER here, the skip back and forth from the bc side to the washington side. Its not like we see 100K fresh new birds coming through the area in a span of weeks. Thats why they're harder to hunt, they get conditioned fast to areas where hunters are, they know to get off the roost and climb high so they cant get shot off dykes, then come back down to a field.

And so most likely if you are hunting the same exact birds or flock, they will get conditioned to the ecallers pretty quick.

mattchu_19
12-05-2009, 04:35 PM
E-callers have been used for many other game species in America and here and we have not seen any adverse affects on the populations.

lets put it this way. The prairies have sections apon sections of grain fields for a huge population of snows and blues to migrate through. This happens from Sept. to the end of Oct., then these birds are gone. Most guides and hunters are seeing new birds daily. In region 2-4, which includes alot of city area that cant be hunted sees a smaller population of snows that winter here, and trade back in forth from Washington from Sept. to March. How fast will these geese smarten up to hearing E-callers. If you have 4-5 E-callers running in the area and having skybusters using them too, 2-4 will be ruined. E-callers dont kill more geese, good smart hunters do.

huntwriter
12-05-2009, 06:09 PM
E-callers dont kill more geese, good smart hunters do.

You said it. I have said it a few times too that technology will not kill animals, knowledge does. So WHY the opposition to e-callers? Is it because hunter numbers would go up in those areas? I am still curious to know.

mattchu_19
12-05-2009, 06:41 PM
So WHY the opposition to e-callers? Is it because hunter numbers would go up in those areas? I am still curious to know.

Because E-callers will educate an already weary population of geese that winter in a small area. Its a catch 22, you have an area that is not set up to hunt the birds but the birds are there. There are way too many places for the birds to raft up in where you cant hunt them. I understand that there are some hunters out there that will use E-callers properly and put a hurt on the geese, and you will also have hunter who think because they have an E-caller and a dozen decoys that they will kill geese, and you will always have the skybusters having fun, But after a few times of the snows seeing and hearing the same program, they will fly at about 300 yards right into Washington, and the snow hunters wont have a snow to hunt. If they had the area to hunt these geese then hell yeah, E-caller, Mag extensions, and big limits but without the area, a E-caller isn't going to achieve much.

huntwriter
12-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Because E-callers will educate an already weary population of geese that winter in a small area. Its a catch 22, you have an area that is not set up to hunt the birds but the birds are there. There are way too many places for the birds to raft up in where you cant hunt them. I understand that there are some hunters out there that will use E-callers properly and put a hurt on the geese, and you will also have hunter who think because they have an E-caller and a dozen decoys that they will kill geese, and you will always have the skybusters having fun, But after a few times of the snows seeing and hearing the same program, they will fly at about 300 yards right into Washington, and the snow hunters wont have a snow to hunt. If they had the area to hunt these geese then hell yeah, E-caller, Mag extensions, and big limits but without the area, a E-caller isn't going to achieve much.

Now I understand where you're coming from. I don't know that area but what you say makes sense. Still, bad calling can, and all to often does, occur with traditional calls too. Personally I do not think that e-callers would entice more hunters to take up geese hunting in that area. This of course is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Farmer John
12-05-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm against it for the above mentioned reason and also because I go goose hunting for the experience of being out in the tranquility of the marsh. Nothing beats sitting in the punt waiting for the telltale whistle of approaching Geese. Its the same reason alot of us head far back in the bush to hunt big game. Does anyone really want to hunt near someone blaring a stereo nonstop? The marsh is only so big. When its busy out there, most spreads are only a few hundred yards apart. That seems way too close to bring E-callers into the mix.

Lord of Gastown
12-05-2009, 07:09 PM

......out of the park again...*****
Shame not everyone gets it, but there loss.

FLHTCUI
12-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Its all about who has the most money to buy the biggest and most
expensive toy in the marsh.
I get enough of the dam boom boxes running around Richmond, now I would be inundated by some one in the marsh with the E-caller going cause he/she see's two Snowies over by YVR and they wanna make sure they come to their set!
Then again I have yet to buy a Mig.Bird Stamp for several years now.
Then again I can see the likes of that biotch Jennie Craig from richmond sniveling about the noise coming from all those mean and nasty hunters in the marsh .....
Anyways, good shooting boys and girls.
Rob

303Brit
12-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok, Heres how I see it. First off E-callers are unreal tools used on snows, and I am completely for the use of them in the right situation. For the most part, the areas where E-callers are used, they are hunting migrating snows from a population that hardly ever has a bad hatch, not like our wintering birds we have here. Also the Mid-continent population of snows travel and get hunted in a area of thousands of acreas of rural farm land not like in BC region 2-4. Adding a E-caller to a population of wintering birds that dont have the area to be hunted will make the birds even more unhuntable. I dont feel that it will bring new hunters into the sport. To me it is a short term plan to benifit some hunters and in the long run I think E-callers would ruin Region 2-4 due to its size and area of huntable snows. Just my opinion.

I don't have a tonne of Snow experience, but the few that I have seen. seem to be far TOO stupid to pick up on E-calls.
We had a flock of about 6 of come at us one morning, they circled and circled and circled and circled...... and circled some more. Once they did approach I knocked one out of the sky and my buddy winged one that I then finished. I go to get up and grab the birds but tells me to stand fast and he starts calling again, well don't the four hat are left circle right back at us.

I was dumbfounded, so much soo that it took about 5 seconds for me to realize I only had a shell in the spout and nothing else.

So if this is normal behaviour then I wouldn't worry to much about them learning the e-call super quickly. Furthermore if they can pick up on calls that quick, wouldn't it also stand to reason that they would be able to pick up on trad calls as not being real birds???

again just my 303cents trying to figure it out.

huntwriter
12-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Furthermore if they can pick up on calls that quick, wouldn't it also stand to reason that they would be able to pick up on trad calls as not being real birds???

again just my 303cents trying to figure it out.

That's the point I made earlier. Calls are calls regardless if you make them with an electronic or traditional call. But I think what mattchu_19 is worried about is that if the e-calls are made legal more hunters would head to a relatively small area. More hunters means more calling, and more calling can make birds call shy. It's the same with deer and turkey calling. The more hunters are calling the less the animals respond to it because they smarten up real fast. At least that's what I think mattchu_19 is trying to tell us. I could be wrong though.:)

303Brit
12-06-2009, 01:19 AM
That's the point I made earlier. Calls are calls regardless if you make them with an electronic or traditional call. But I think what mattchu_19 is worried about is that if the e-calls are made legal more hunters would head to a relatively small area. More hunters means more calling, and more calling can make birds call shy. It's the same with deer and turkey calling. The more hunters are calling the less the animals respond to it because they smarten up real fast. At least that's what I think mattchu_19 is trying to tell us. I could be wrong though.:)

Ok I got ya, but you can run into that with Trad calls to. But I agree it would be easier to over call, even unknownlingly over call.

huntwriter
12-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Ok I got ya, but you can run into that with Trad calls to.

I think we say the same thing just express it differently. I absolutely agree with you. Calls are calls no mater what "instrument" you use.