PDA

View Full Version : Attn: PG Mule Deer Hunters!

StoneChaser
12-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Mule Deer numbers in Vanderhoof and Fraser Lake this year were down well below previous years, as were success rates. I'm wondering how things looked in PG this year?

Please take a second to comment on your experiences deer hunting in and around Prince George this year, as well as particpate in the poll thanks.

PGK
12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
The same, maybe slightly lower. I saw more deer than in any year previous, but that's mostly because I hunted better areas.

killman
12-04-2009, 07:04 PM
The same, maybe slightly lower. I saw more deer than in any year previous, but that's mostly because I hunted better areas.

I thnk he meant more than 2!:twisted:

ROEBUCK
12-04-2009, 07:08 PM
only lived in pg for 2 years, but ive seen far less deer this year, than last year and i blame the deep snow! last winter!!

jaywill
12-04-2009, 08:04 PM
sounds like we need to do some predator hunting?

Gateholio
12-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Edited for clarity:wink:

redcomet
12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Things were looking not bad, spent some time where I don't see many people saw lot's of game, including a family of g-bears within sight of the city lights.

Benthos
12-04-2009, 08:35 PM
saw quite a few. lot's of does, dink bucks, and a few half decent 4x4.

also saw lot's of hunters :twisted:

BCrams
12-04-2009, 11:10 PM
The PG population of deer are doing quite well from what I have seen the last 2 years (including some great bucks last year / this year). I also have seen a change in behaviour and habitat preference (i.e., as a result of the extensive mountain pine beetle harvesting and increased predators -> wolves).

Many hunters will experience seeing fewer deer and less sign if they continued the same hunting patterns.

That said, the Vanderhoof / Fraser Lake area received significantly more snow than the PG area did starting around Cluculz Lake and westward a couple years ago. When Vanderhoof deer were kicking around in 3 ft of snow 2 years ago, the deer in the PG / Blackwater were still in shallow snow.

I would say the herds in Vanderhoof through to the Bulkley experienced a drop off in numbers however, as with most populations, they will recover. Its not the first winter kill that has ever occured.

ROEBUCK
12-04-2009, 11:33 PM
the deer in mud river last year were kickin around in 3 plus feet for 3 months last winter!

BCrams
12-04-2009, 11:47 PM
the deer in mud river last year were kickin around in 3 plus feet for 3 months last winter!

Pretty normal amount for most winters. Lived on a homestead in the Mudd for a while and had some good hunting out there!!

ROEBUCK
12-04-2009, 11:59 PM
yeah its good hunting!
lots of moose around and the odd whitetail now,occasional elk,plenty of bears, havent seen many mulies this fall ,but i managed to kill a 2 point in the archery season,which made my season!!

BCrams
12-05-2009, 12:25 AM
yeah its good hunting!
lots of moose around and the odd whitetail now,occasional elk,plenty of bears, havent seen many mulies this fall ,but i managed to kill a 2 point in the archery season,which made my season!!

I know at least a couple big bull elk were out in the Mudd long before the season ever opened for them. One shed I have puts it over 390" non-typical if it had a match and still in the 370's typical.

Congrats on the archery buck!! I can imagine the thrill must be quite exhilarating!!

todbartell
12-05-2009, 01:39 AM
I didnt hunt deer locally as much as usual, mainly because in my first few trips out as well as some preseason scouting I was seeing significantly less deer than usual. Deerless days when I used to see a dozen just take the fun out of it.

GoatGuy
12-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Welcome to living on the fringe of mule deer range. Shoot them when you get a couple of good years otherwise mother nature will clean them out for you.

About as simple as it gets.

Piperdown
12-05-2009, 09:13 AM
We have 80 acres in the Burns lake area, saw more deer this year then the previous 3 years, some real crankers too!

ROEBUCK
12-05-2009, 09:23 AM
We have 80 acres in the Burns lake area, saw more deer this year then the previous 3 years, some real crankers too!

so thats were all our pg deer have gone!!

bring em back !!

BCrams
12-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Welcome to living on the fringe of mule deer range. Shoot them when you get a couple of good years otherwise mother nature will clean them out for you.

About as simple as it gets.

As he says. Its quite simple. There's typically a reaction by hunters that "something must be done". (i.e., reducing deer limits, shortened seasons)

There will always be fluctuations in numbers with populations utilizing the fringe habitat areas and you can / will have many good years and then a few lower years as they rebound.

With a slight highjack, even though we're experiencing predator problems, province wide by wolves etc. Some areas more than others. Their numbers will not stay high either and they'll drop off as well in response to lower numbers of prey species. Sort of like the patterns everyone is familiar with regarding snowshoe hare / lynx cycles if one was to find a slight comparison of sorts.

As far as deer go. I am not worried at all. Just continue maintaining important habitat / winter ranges and things will be fine.

jml11
12-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I wasn't out enough to comment and the times I was out, I wasn't looking for deer; however, I did shoot a small muley buck back in September (my first muley in Region 7 actually) and had a buddy get an average 4-point the next week (his first 4-point).

Timbow
12-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Well IMO (7-08, 7-10, and 7-11) you have:

-Deer (muledeer)
-bucks Sept 10-Nov 20,
-antlerless Nov 10-20
-4 point Nov 21-30
-youth season Sept 10-Nov 20
-bow and youth bow season Sept 1-9

-Whitetail
-bucks Sept 10-Nov 30
-antlerless Nov 10-20
-youth season Sept 10-Nov 20
-bow and youth bow season Sept 1-9

-Moose
-spike fork Sept 10- Nov 5
-calves Oct 10-Oct 25
-bow season spike fork Sept 1-9

-Elk
-6 point bull Sept 10-Oct 9

-LEH 7-08:
-60 cow/calf Oct 10-25
-115 bulls Sept 10-Nov 5

-LEH 7-10:
-60 cow calf Oct 10-25
-90 bulls Sept 10-Nov 5

-LEH 7-11:
-145 bulls Sept 10-Nov 5
-60 cow/calf Oct 10-25.

Have I missed any?

Now add to the fact that the pine beetle helped open a lot of area and the opening sizes are very large and roughly the same age of regen.

Now you know the rest of the story.....

PS....add hunters from the south (Quesnel for example, due to proximity) and you have more tags than available game.

But...one the lighter side I hunted in an area that produced and I did see deer, even a decent 160" that I passed up.

Just my honest 2 cents.

hunterofthedeer
12-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Well hunting the blackwater we seen zero deer and 12 moose. We have never hunted deer but usually see some.

todbartell
12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
We have never hunted deer

poseur :mrgreen:

Schmaus
12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
My opinion is that there are still a lot of deer around the pg area thus you still see a lot of tracks but.... In the places that you used to see a lot of does in a day, now the does are getting shot at so they are hiding with the bucks. Once again it goes back to the old "just get out of your truck and go where there aren't many people" I seen quite a few deer around this year but none were while driving.