PDA

View Full Version : ground blind

watson721
12-03-2009, 10:01 PM
so im thinking about building a ground blind but need to know some things.
what type of wood(that won't rot)should I use?
what should I use for camo?

sarnold
12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
the closest wood
camo the closest branches and depris

watson721
12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
building it in a wood shop class, so something a little more specific would help

brock77
12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Cedar if available, but any thing will work, try to keep the wood of the ground if possible. (avoid moisture as much as possible)

KB90
12-03-2009, 10:26 PM
If its a woodshop project you should build an ice fishing hut! I've always wanted to build one. Have a little woodstove. It would be cool.

bighornbob
12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
building it in a wood shop class, so something a little more specific would help

What are you actually trying to build??? Are you looking at making a wooden box with a seat and a window that you can see out of, but can open when an animal comes by. If so these are quite permanent structures that are tough to move,they are usually built on the spot.

BHB

wolverine
12-03-2009, 11:00 PM
You can buy a pop up for as much as you are going to spend on material for the home made job but if you really want to do it that way don't use pressure treated lumber. The stuff is deadly to handle... toxic as hell. Just build a frame from 2x2, gusset the corners and throw a camo net over it. You can add local foliage every year to it if you wish.

watson721
12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
im basically make a box that will be on the ground and just need to know what wood i should use, but not cedar(alergic).
I don't have to pay for the wood because im in a school woodshop and is a project

brock77
12-04-2009, 10:35 AM
im basically make a box that will be on the ground and just need to know what wood i should use, but not cedar(alergic).
I don't have to pay for the wood because im in a school woodshop and is a project

Allergic! to cedar really? you could use pressure treated lumber, but like i mentioned anything will work, just keep the base off the ground a foot or so for air to circulate. Use some kind of material from the base of the box to the ground to keep your sent from escaping.
I also thought of building a portable ground blind made from lumber, acouple of 2x2 walls on 2 foot centers with plywood as exterior , with the blue styrofoam in between the 2x2 studs, and the same for the roof with 2x4 for stability a bit of a slope so the water runs off. windows all the way around with bug screen to open like a curtain. Use 2x2 as the blue styrofoam is actually 1 1/2 inch thick, thus would be lite wight and still potable. (portable in the sence of easy set up and take down)

bighornbob
12-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Remember anything you build will have to have dismantled and carried into the woods and reassembled. So if you build one the size of an outhouse (small), one side would be at least 3 feet wide and 6 feet tall minimum. Are you willing to pack one side through the woods or a clearcut.

If you are planning on unloading the whole thing in one piece I really hope you are putting it on private land. If you are not then you will have to be able to drive right to the spot to unload it. If that is the case there will a lot of guys that will find it and use it. Regardless of who built it will become a first come first serve as its on crown land. If you lock it, aholes will shoot the shit out of it.

Give us some details on how big you were thinking of making it? Where are you going to put? Crown land or Private? Etc . Then we can be more helpful.

BHB

watson721
12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I was thinking of making it 5 ft high, 3 ft wide and 4 and a half feet long. i was going to build it and carry it out to my spot in 1 piece because i have a good spot where not much traffi omes through and you have to hikew about 2-3 km to get to it but there is a trail so it would not be that bad carrying it out there with 2-3 guys.

brock77
12-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Build the walls like you would a shed, but instead of nailing the corners together drill three holes in each of the L's (corners) and bolt them together with 4 inch through bolts ( washer and nuts) quick and easy( each guy/girl will be able to carry a wall a piece through the trails if made light enough.