PDA

View Full Version : Help!

ROM
12-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks in advance to anyone responding to this post.

Problem Statement:
I need an accurate 22.

Background:
I recently inherited a beautiful older browning bl-22. It shoots poorly with cheap Remington ammo. I want something that will shoot sub moa and am willing to pay for it.

Questions:

1) with a good cleaning and more expensive sub sonic ammo does the gun stand a chance of shooting sub moa?
2) do you have any tips for a good cleaning?
3) If not how much $ should I try to sell it for.
4) The gun I am looking at is a CZ. Does anyone have any experience with the CZ
5) I live in the boonies, does anyone have ammo shipped to them an who do you use?

Your advice on 1-5 would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

R

ruger#1
12-03-2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/sylvester_road_pits_013.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16625&size=big&cat=500) If their 22s are like their high power then they are good. This is at 100yrds with my CZ550FS with 6.5X55 cal, sighting in a new scope. I would love to get a CZ 22 in a full wood stock.

Hombre
12-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Have you tried different ammo in the BL?I have had two of them.For plinking, and small game they are adequate, and fun to shoot.
For serious target shooting I'd recommend an Anschutz or CZ,depending
on your budget.I currently have a CZ 452 American, that consistently
puts 5 shots at 50 yds into a 1/4 " group.As far as cleaning goes I'd
recommend a one piece rod that is coated , and a bore guide.Some .22s
don't like to be cleaned at all.There is a great resource on line called Rimfire Central.Check it out , as most of your questions can be answered there.
Good luck on the search.

ROM
12-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks Hombre.

That is about what I thought. Do you mind me asking what ammo are you using in your CZ?

R

Steeleco
12-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Clean that gun with "Wipeout" it may take a few tries to get it clean, but you may find that it will shoot much better after it's clean. Then you'll need to fire a few to "season" the barrel and you be good to go.It's cheaper to try this first than buy a new .22 That said, most any bolt action .22 these days are deadly accurate with even the chepo ammo.

Hombre
12-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks Hombre.

That is about what I thought. Do you mind me asking what ammo are you using in your CZ?

R

I tried twenty different types just for fun, and found out that my CZ has
very expensive taste, just like my wife ouch!It really likes Eley Match EPS
at $12.99 a box.Groups were one hole at 50 yds.Best compromise was
Standard Plus that is made by Lapua at $5.00 a box .Groups with the Std
Plus were the 1/4 " ones I mentioned earlier.

Jagermeister
12-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Never mind wipeout, get some Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner. Wholesale Sports in Kamloops, Del Selin Gunsmithing in Vernon, Scotties Bull and Tackle in Revelstoke, Italian sporting Goods or the gun/outdoor stores in Cranbrook and Creston. Believe me, this stuff will out clean the other and you can run your own test to verify it.

JCVD
12-03-2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/

Lots of good rimfire info here bud. My 2 cents ; Order a bunch of different .22 ammo and try em all out. All rimfires have their preferred ammo.

paul
12-03-2009, 10:44 PM
have look at the savage bolt actions. I have a mark II btvs w/ accutrigger - its a great, accurate rifle. lots of stock choices, stock weaver bases, handles all ammo well and $200 cheaper than a CZ.

The CZ 452 is the Ferrari of .22's, but i have a hard time justifying $650+ on a rimfire...then CZ specific rings (that are 2 times the price of weaver style) and a scope. It adds up quick.

Just my $.02

JCVD
12-03-2009, 11:26 PM
have look at the savage bolt actions. I have a mark II btvs w/ accutrigger - its a great, accurate rifle. lots of stock choices, stock weaver bases, handles all ammo well and $200 cheaper than a CZ.

The CZ 452 is the Ferrari of .22's, but i have a hard time justifying $650+ on a rimfire...then CZ specific rings (that are 2 times the price of weaver style) and a scope. It adds up quick.

Just my $.02

I have a Savage 17hmr BVSS and love it.(The grouse and bunnies don't though:wink:Good for the price.) But as for the Ferrari of out of the box .22's...The CZ's are not. You would want an Anschutz or Cooper for that title. Kimbers around 3rd place CZ distant 4th. Accuracy/fit/finish.

1/2 slam
12-04-2009, 12:43 AM
I have an Anschutz. It wears a Weaver K4. I paid $200 about 6 years ago. (Don't hate me:mrgreen: I got lucky) It doesn't matter what I put through it. It shoots less than 1 inch at 50 yards.

sawmill
12-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Guys it`s a f%cking .22.You use it to shoot grouse when you have your real rifle with you, going deer hunting.Why do you bother about MOA at 50 yards with a chicken gun?You must have way more money than I do,3 shots at 50 yards into a 3 in. circle works good enough for me.And I shoot an old Stevens semi auto and the cheapest brick of shells I can buy.

JCVD
12-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Guys it`s a f%cking .22.You use it to shoot grouse when you have your real rifle with you, going deer hunting.Why do you bother about MOA at 50 yards with a chicken gun?You must have way more money than I do,3 shots at 50 yards into a 3 in. circle works good enough for me.And I shoot an old Stevens semi auto and the cheapest brick of shells I can buy.

lol some guys like to target shoot with a rifle that uses inexpensive ammo. Some guys cannot afford to have a target and a hunting rifle. Some people appreciate the finer things in life. We could all drive used beater vehicles and live in tree forts too,but do we? .22 competitions are pretty popular too. Many, many reasons.

JCVD
12-04-2009, 02:09 PM
I have an Anschutz. It wears a Weaver K4. I paid $200 about 6 years ago. (Don't hate me:mrgreen: I got lucky) It doesn't matter what I put through it. It shoots less than 1 inch at 50 yards.

And yes I hate you lol.:mrgreen:

knighthunter
12-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Back to the original poster. Maybe you don't need a different .22, maybe just glasses. LOL.

PGK
12-04-2009, 04:27 PM

Some people take pride in precision arms. Arguably, a 22 is the hardest firearm to master at any kind of moderate distance.

ROM, if you decide you want to get rid of that bl-22, send me a message. I have a dead-nutz accurate remington bolt I might be interested in trading.

THE SWEDE
12-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Some people take pride in precision arms.

What about precision fly tackle?

PGK
12-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Stop comparing mexicans to swedes