PDA

View Full Version : Live Birds for Retriever Traing??

gipper123
12-03-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm just starting my first dog for both waterfowl and blood tracking for those pesky bow shot Blacktails...Does anyone know if training a dog with live birds is legal or illegal in B.C.???:confused:

field marshal
12-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Not as far as I know. My buddy used to use call ducks with taped wings.
They make a lot of racket!!:mrgreen: He wants to use them again for James'
new pup.
Cheers Field Marshal.

gipper123
12-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info...I thought that was the case, but didn't want any nosy neighbors crying 'fowl'...sad joke I know.

LOC
12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Legal for sure. Depending on where you are the Langley auction on the weekends can get you birds (pigeons, pheasant, chuckar...). Prices can be either really good or really bad, all depends on the bidding...
http://www.fraservalleyauction.com/

gipper123
12-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Glad to here it...I think I'll try the auction in Langley for some birds.
I've never actually done any 'live' bidding before. I saw my dad do it a few times when I was a kid...it was very funny...he was a rooky too.

dutchie
12-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Glad to here it...I think I'll try the auction in Langley for some birds.
I've never actually done any 'live' bidding before. I saw my dad do it a few times when I was a kid...it was very funny...he was a rooky too.

It is simple... just go in, don't bid untill they bring the price down to rock bottom and then start bidding.

I never go up against anyone, i talk to everyone around, and see what they are bidding on.

I bought 10 pigeons for $5 and I got 3 rabbits for $3. I also got a pheasent for $5 once... that was a fluke tho.

Dutchie

gipper123
12-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Wow...those are great prices...hey wait a minute...that's cheaper than shot shells...
Just kidding...or am I.?

Gipper

bopper
12-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Just remember, if you're using live birds for training, you can't release them by hand or a mechanical device and shoot them....that's against the Federal law. If you flush them from the ground and shoot them, that's o.k.
If you're throwing wing-clipped pigeons and just shooting a starter pistol or shotgun popper shells, that's o.k. too.