PDA

View Full Version : Big Bull Bison Down!! (pic and story heavy)

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
We had closed the gap to 17 yds on the big bull! It seemed almost surreal that we were able to get this close to him as he lay there unaware of our presence. We could now see the tips of his horns and the top of his head as he gazed over the meadow. Suddenly he stood up, 17 yds away.......

This was our 4th LEH draw and we knew we would need to go well prepared for all weather and hunting conditons and with as much equipment, quads, snowmobiles, game cart and yes even a boat in case we needed to go where no other hunters had been.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09008.jpg

We arrived at the Pink Mountain Motel 2 days before the draw opened and were treated to the comfort of a warm room, comfortable beds and a TV with a sheep hunting DVD playing continually, this felt like heaven to us!! We introduced ourselves to Jamie (HBC member "sheep.elk.moose.fanatic") and his lovely wife. The next morning after a great breakfast and a viewing of some nice trophies that Jamie has taken we made our way to the airstrip and set up camp.

Day 1 we scoured the designated vehicle route, side trails and hills for track but realized quickly that the bison had headed deeper into the area. There were machines and hunters everywhere.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09012.jpg

Day 2 we headed to a location that has produced a big bull for us before but the tracks around it were plentiful but were about a week old. That was a huge disappointment for us. So it was now on to plan # 2.

Day 3 we headed out and went deeper into a new untouched territory where no other hunters had been but there was not enough sign to warrant another trip back to it. On the way back the pull cord on one of the snowmobiles broke 24km from camp but luckily the machine started as the cord failed and we were able to drive it back and into the tent for a repair.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09010.jpg

Day 4 we were on to plan # 3 and were very pleased at what we found, fresh sign and a whole new breathe of fresh air with respect to finding our bull.

Day 5 Mid afternoon we spot 2 bulls, one big, bedded behind a tree about 1000 ft up a mountain and about 2 kms from our position. After a 3 hour stalk to get into the area and up the mountain, it was disappointing to find the beds were empty (except for several pounds of poop). The tracks showed that they had got up from their beds, fed straight up the mountain to the ridge and then followed the ridge to the peak and went over the back side.

Day 6 we were tired and needed a day of sleeping in and rest.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09023.jpg

Day 7 we were up early, I pulled my ugly white lucky sweater out of my container much to the dismay of my good buddy Rod. He has hated the sweater for years but said that if it works again like it had on the moose trip in Sept he would never say anything about it again! We were well into the area as the sun started to come over the horizon, excited about the 2" of fresh snow that fell overnight. As we made our way into the valley, suddenly a monster lone bull appeared at 655yds, like a ghost out of nowhere,(we believe he may have been bedded behind a clump of trees) There was no need for binoculars on this big boy we named "The Burger Bull" as he would have been over 2000 lbs and was massive everywhere!! We quickly formulated a plan and the stalk was on. For those of you who have never hunted bison, closing the gap on a lone huge bull that size is not an easy task as there stride is over a yard long. The sheer challenge of the terrain he was in which was full of steep creeks, uneven ground, clumps of trees and thick forest with hidden meadows throughout added to the difficult odds of ever catching up with him. After closing the gap but never seeing him again the stalk was called off. We decided we would let him rest and would come back at the end of the day in the last 2 hrs of light and try to cut his track and hunt him again. As it turns out that would never happen! We carried on and after about 40 minutes down the trail we cut 3 sets of fresh bull tracks with one track noticably bigger. We started out following the largest tracks and within a 100 yds found lots of fresh droppings that were not frozen yet so we knew that we had a chance at catching them. We scanned the area ahead of us but there were no bison in sight. One set of tracks headed left across the meadow and towards the thick bush so we followed it right to the timber line where it turned and went back into the middle of the meadow. Before turning back with the tracks into the meadow we scanned the meadow and spotted the head of a bull laying at the base of a tree, his entire body hidden by the terrain, with just his head looking out over the meadow in front of him. He was 257 yds from us. The wind was blowing across the meadow between us and the bull, the snow was soft and dry so we made a plan for a stalk which would keep us down wind and out of sight of the bull as we made our way towards him. The stalk took us 40 minutes to go 240 yds with slow and careful steps, counting 5 or 6 steps at a time before stopping momentarily, moving only when the wind was blowing so that it would hide any noise we made, we constantly scanned the meadow to try and locate the other 2 bulls so that they didn't bust us before we finished our stalk. We had closed the gap to 17 yds on the big bull! It seemed almost surreal that we were able to get this close to him as he lay there unaware of our presence. We could see the tips of his horns and the top of his head as he gazed over the meadow. Suddenly he stood up, 17 yds away and immediately so did the other 2 bulls right beside him that were completely hidden by the landscape. The big bull towered over the 2 smaller bulls like a cow over her calves. All we could see was the top half of his chest and front shoulder. One shot through the lower area of what we could see of his chest and he buckled to the ground, crashing into a tree, sending branches scattering into the snow and causing it to lean away from him. The other 2 bulls ran about 35 yds and stood looking back, trying to figure out what was going on. The downed bull tried in vane to get to his feet but another round through the back of the skull layed him to rest as the other bulls ran quickly towards the bush. It was only 1.5 hrs till dark so we quickly took some pictures and then field dressed, skinned and caped him out which was not easy given he was up against the leaning tree, but with the help of the snow machines pulling his legs we were able to move him about 3 ft from the tree. The long ride home in the dark didn't seem so bad with the success of the day playing through our heads.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09-1011-1.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09041-1.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09051-1-1.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09056-1-1.jpg
This is the gut pile only, NO lungs, liver, heart etc, beside my full size hydration day pack
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09061.jpg
Day 8 we made our way back into the area to retrieve the bull, glad to see that no wolves had been near it. We brought a "meat" chain saw to quarter the bull
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09065.jpg

and then loaded it on the skimmer and out we went. About 2/3 of the way back the rear bumper on the snowmobile tore off leaving the skimmer loaded with meat stopped dead in its tracks, luckily for us it was within the designated Quad area, so our "McGiver hunting partner" Rod jerry rigged a receiver on the quad, hooked the skimmer to the back of a quad and we towed it the rest of the way out.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09072.jpg

Their body cavity is not built like other ungulates, you can see here that the hump is almost half of the chest area, so shooting mid chest on the bison is not a good shot. Lucky for us the first shot went through the center of the spine dropping the big boy to his knee's! That's a 4ft pallet its laying on.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09075.jpg

Tidbits
His horns are 14" at the base and 17 " long.
His head alone weighs 125 lbs
We only saw a total of 6 bison, all were bulls!
My lucky sweater has scored again, this year alone for our group it produced the bull bison, a bull moose and a muley buck!

KB90
12-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Congrats! Great read.

Wow those things are huge.

Phil
12-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Nice work boys! I can't imagine dealing with a beast that big. Can I borrow that sweater? Congrats to all.

PGK
12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Right on Tom! Great bull, good on ya for whackin one of them buggers! Damn he's big! Good anatomy photo too!

12-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Kiddy up Boyz, Nice Bull !!

Congrats to you and your partners !

Were on our way tomorrow, Zone A, 2 draws !! My 1st ever after trying every year since the hunt began !!

By the size of that bull ....... even the Gravy will be tough ! hahah

Way to go

CT

Any help would be appreciated for a 1st timer please PM me if you can

Thanks

kwasky
12-03-2009, 12:36 PM
way to go. Looks like a fun trip

RustyRipper
12-03-2009, 12:39 PM
great job, looks like you guys had a lot of fun. awesome bull to boot! I'm pretty envious, we had a lot of fun on my buddy's bison hunt last year but didn't manage to connect on a bull, but it was a blast all the same. I hope one day I get an opportunity to do that again. congrats.

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Nice work boys! I can't imagine dealing with a beast that big. Can I borrow that sweater? Congrats to all.

Sure Phil, what have you got to horse trade?

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 01:35 PM
By the size of that bull ....... even the Gravy will be tough ! hahah

Way to go

CT

Any help would be appreciated for a 1st timer please PM me if you can

Thanks

I tried a bit of the prime rib and its not too bad, we are hoping that 10-14 days in the cooler will help it out!
PM sent for help!

The Hermit
12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
WOW now thats a story and a lot of work!! Good job guys!

shantz
12-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Congrats...Great story to go along with the pics.

7mag700
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Great post! That's a good indication of just how hard that hunt really is!

7m7

Big7
12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Good story, photos and most of all...Bison! Good work boys!

BlacktailStalker
12-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Well put together, sweet hunt and awesome story, pics and bull :cool:

Hydrojet
12-03-2009, 03:40 PM
nice bull! is that sweater for rent?

mstewart
12-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Great story. Thanks for sharing it.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-03-2009, 03:51 PM
kick ass story tomahawk!!!! congrats again...".ON A HUGE BULL".....

12-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I love it! Congratulations!

weatherby_man
12-03-2009, 04:29 PM
That bull is HUGE!!!

Way to go, great read.

yiorgo3
12-03-2009, 04:42 PM
The pictures are great!! HBC members I am a witness to how awkward the front quarters are to lift as I helped Tom hang them. Those big humps are difficult to manhandle. Great job again it sure sounded like alot of fun!!

Kudu
12-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Fantastic story - great hunt - one day maybe...?

Buck
12-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Nice Bull - great story i hope oneday as well i have been trying for years.

12-03-2009, 05:06 PM
ahhhh your bull is small and your storie sucked.

Just kiding that is the jelous side talking. Your pics put the animal into perspective for thoes of us who have never seen a buff befor. Man their fricken huge. Sorry for the sarcasm i just had to :)

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 05:18 PM
nice bull! is that sweater for rent?

Everything has a price but maybe not the sweater!! Its been producing for me for almost 20 yrs now. I don't wear it unless we are running short on time when hunting and need an animal, it works probably 70% or more of the time! This yr it was 3 for 3!

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments, we had a great trip and the buff was just a bonus for sure!

Darksith
12-03-2009, 05:23 PM
cangrats, super jealous

Pioneerman
12-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Way to go Tom wish I was off on my buddies bison hunt right now.After seeing what I am missing especially lol

kamkid49
12-03-2009, 05:35 PM
way to go man!! we were there in the winter of '96 it was fifty below 0 shot our two bulls first day !! thank god!!! it looked a little cold for you boys too eh?

trigger
12-03-2009, 06:12 PM
awesome storey and pics tom. Thats a beauty bull aswell. You know even though it took a few days to get him as did mine im glad it did. I all adds to the trip. Shit ya look forward to it for 3 or more months and then its all over the first day. nah. its an adventure.
so again congrats on a very nice bull. Good for you guys for tenting it too. CRAZY *******S haha jk.

waistdeep
12-03-2009, 06:14 PM
after the air strip did you go past the horse camp where the natives are building the cabins?

Rattler
12-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Great story and pictures. Truly a massive bull.

Congrats.

Tanya
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Awesome story, great bull!! Congratulations!!

Mik
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Thats one massive Bull, Congrats. Great story and pics, sure brings back some nice memories. Sounds like a lot of walking for the big prize, but it sure paid off in the end.Once again, Congrats.

kennyj
12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Awesome bull guys!Those horns look huge.I love pic and story heavy posts.
kenny

Rock Doctor
12-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Nice Bull, and good story.
Congrats

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 08:20 PM
The pictures are great!! HBC members I am a witness to how awkward the front quarters are to lift as I helped Tom hang them. Those big humps are difficult to manhandle. Great job again it sure sounded like alot of fun!!

Thanks for your help George, even with 3 guys it was tough to handle that's for sure.

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
way to go man!! we were there in the winter of '96 it was fifty below 0 shot our two bulls first day !! thank god!!! it looked a little cold for you boys too eh?

We were lucky as the coldest it got was -18 and warmest was -1.

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 08:25 PM
awesome storey and pics tom. Thats a beauty bull aswell. You know even though it took a few days to get him as did mine im glad it did. I all adds to the trip. Shit ya look forward to it for 3 or more months and then its all over the first day. nah. its an adventure.
so again congrats on a very nice bull. Good for you guys for tenting it too. CRAZY *******S haha jk.

Like I mentioned its our 3rd bull and the one that was the least fun was the 2nd one.........we shot it in the first 30 mintues of the hunt as it was on the mountain that you can see from the camps at the airstrip!! No challenge, no anticipation makes for poor hunt quality in my mind!

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 08:27 PM
after the air strip did you go past the horse camp where the natives are building the cabins?

I am confused on this? I wasn't aware of the natives building cabins in "B", we did find cabins way out that the outfitter uses for guiding though.

trigger
12-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Your talking about Zone A. I believe tom was in zone B

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Thats one massive Bull, Congrats. Great story and pics, sure brings back some nice memories. Sounds like a lot of walking for the big prize, but it sure paid off in the end.Once again, Congrats.

We have a very tight hunting partnership amongst us, our motto is hard work makes the meat taste better during the coming year. We all support any one of us shooting an animal anywhere, no matter how tough it is and then we work to get it out as a team. Good hunting partners don't come easy or along everyday and I am so thankful for my brother Garth and good buddy Rod!

Johnnybear
12-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Truly massive animals. Congrats big time tomahawk:-D!!

Thanks for the great story and photo's. Looks like lot's and lot's of work but worth every drop of sweat.

hillclimber
12-03-2009, 09:09 PM
looks like you guys had an awesome time. congrats on the bison. i hope you have a big freezer!!!

cheers
stefan

kgs
12-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey congrats on your hunt and great looking camp too

gameslayer
12-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Great read and a well laid out story with pics. Congrats on a well planned hunt. I heard a story about a fellow that shot high on a bull and like you describe it is deceiving how low the organs are in the chest and the high shot meant a bull went bye bye.
Good pointers for other to take note.

Lucky77_
12-03-2009, 09:49 PM
wow thanks for the pic of the brisket. i knew they were different but seeing is now knowing

waistdeep
12-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Your talking about Zone A. I believe tom was in zone B

sorry, we were in Zone A , went to the end and took horses up to Lo Hi in Zone B, thought that is what you were talking about

bruin
12-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Very cool adventure, interesting about the body cavity. Congrats boys

IPA
12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Great story and pics too I leave for my first bison hunt tomorrow so all these stories are truly getting me pumped for this hunt. Congrats again and the front quarter picture was some great info to see.

mcrae
12-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Awsome story. Bison are truly amazing beasts thats for sure.

RBH
12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Great stuff! ...but one thing missing. Pics of the sweater!

p.s. You bedder watch yer back...I'm guessin Rods' aimin to be the owner of a white sweater afore next year!

tomahawk
12-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Great stuff! ...but one thing missing. Pics of the sweater!

p.s. You bedder watch yer back...I'm guessin Rods' aimin to be the owner of a white sweater afore next year!

Its the 2nd picture of the bull and here's a picture of my son wearing it when we were deer hunting. It was a curling sweater that our whole team had made by one of the gals mom's and includes my last name in capital letters across the back, very ugly but ironically kinda looks like the 2010 Canadian teams sweater!
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/DeerHunt06003.jpg

kevan
12-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Thank-you for a most enjoyable story and pics.
Relating experiences like you and your hunting partners had go a long way to making this forum as good as it is.
And also thanks for putting your two cents worth into my Bison rifle thread. :-D

hunter1947
12-04-2009, 05:30 AM
That is a big bull you got there Tom getting one like this is enough to drive a person to drinking :eek:.

Looks like you came prepared on this trip ,pic and story are the best you can put up on this site.

Tom It is nice to be retired is it not ?????,the one thing I hatted was to come home and have to go to work.

Well done Tom on getting a hog of a bison ,congrats to the whole hunting party getting this bison http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

d6dan
12-04-2009, 08:24 AM
A very enjoyable read Tom,the pics are great and the Bull is huge!Congrats:-D.. Thanks for posting

tomahawk
12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
That is a big bull you got there Tom getting one like this is enough to drive a person to drinking :eek:.

Looks like you came prepared on this trip ,pic and story are the best you can put up on this site.

Tom It is nice to be retired is it not ?????,the one thing I hatted was to come home and have to go to work.

Well done Tom on getting a hog of a bison ,congrats to the whole hunting party getting this bison http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Hey Wayne, being retired is the best my friend!! I took my time after we got the meat in the cooler putting things away and getting organized. Just have to get the tent hung and dried this weekend in the shop where Rod work's!

MikeH
12-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow congrats dude that would be a pretty amazing hunt.That gut pile is huge lol.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-04-2009, 10:42 AM
people who are coming up hunting should read this thread carefully so you understand what you need to do so you don't go home empty handed!!!!

ohno
12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Great story and a great bull to boot!

Gunner Staal
12-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Way to go guys. Great story great read.

bigshark
12-04-2009, 03:46 PM
well done guys, that was quite the adventure

tomahawk
12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
people who are coming up hunting should read this thread carefully so you understand what you need to do so you don't go home empty handed!!!!

That's one of the key reasons I made the story to be day by day, so that everyone could understand that you need to come prepared with all forms of transportation and equipment just in case. You also need to have plans #2,3, 4 or however many it takes to find the beasts unless you want to compete with the masses of other hunters like this yr that were after the only 2 herds left in area "B". We got lucky in 2002 and scored a bison in the first 30 min of the first day, that was a freak. The other 2 hunts that we got a bison we had to go where no one else wanted or dared to go. The one hunt we were not successful in harvesting a bison was a last minute decision where Rod and I took off for 5 days only. We vowed never to go unprepared or for such a short hunt again. I hope this helps someone.

RBH
12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
That's one hell of a fine sweater. Guess that stripe acts as disruptive colouration and the Brutes of the Forest can't figure out that you are the man that you are!

coolhunter
12-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Congrats! nice work buddy!!!

TheDuckinator
12-04-2009, 09:00 PM
HOLY COW! Thats a BEAST of a bull!
Great job!

muleskinnerblued
12-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Wow !! That is a huge animal :shock: I read through the story, but didn't catch the firearm used for the kill... great thread and pix thanx.

Ltbullken
12-05-2009, 08:32 AM
What a massive animal! Awesome hunt. Congrats are in order! Way to go!

proguide66
12-05-2009, 09:28 AM
:shock:holy shit , that was cool!...feel like I just went on a buf hunt.....huge er what!!!!

Bow Walker
12-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Tom - I just read the story and viewed the pics. How I missed this thread I'll never understand!

Great story. Lots of detail and drama in it. Sneaky hook paragraph at the beginning though! You've been reading too many hunting magazines!! Love the intro.

You (and your party) have had a hunt that many here are very envious of, including me. Congratulations to all of you.

And don't ever get rid of (or wash) that lucky white sweater!)......

luckynuts
12-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Awesome story and Great pics Tomahawk! Glad you scored and on a monster to boot. Man the bison and rosie's are the only draws i still haven't got!

Any idea on what it will score?

L.

Brambles
12-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Thats a real good write-up, I enjoyed it very much. Thats a great picture of the bison Rib Cage, I wouldn't have guessed they were built like that, looks like you gotta shoot them low.

Thanks

B

tomahawk
12-05-2009, 05:07 PM
That's one hell of a fine sweater. Guess that stripe acts as disruptive colouration and the Brutes of the Forest can't figure out that you are the man that you are!

Sssssssshhhhhhhhhhh, don't say that too loud or the secret will be out! Ha Ha.

tomahawk
12-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow !! That is a huge animal :shock: I read through the story, but didn't catch the firearm used for the kill... great thread and pix thanx.

This one was a 7mm with Vital Shock Trophy Bonded Tips in 175 gr. We have also taken them with a 30-06 with Federal Premium Nosler Partitions in 180 gr and 300 WM in Vital Shock Barnes MRX in 180 gr.

tomahawk
12-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Great story. Lots of detail and drama in it. Sneaky hook paragraph at the beginning though! You've been reading too many hunting magazines!! Love the intro.
And don't ever get rid of (or wash) that lucky white sweater!)......

Thanks, I actually have written a few bowhunting articles on wolf and goat for one of our sponsors in the "Canadian Bowhunter" magazine and like using the "hook" as you say, to start my stories. I think it gives the reader a flavor for what to expect.
I had to wash my sweater after the bison hunt as it got pretty dirty trying to man handle the front quarters around after we quartered them.

tomahawk
12-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Thats a real good write-up, I enjoyed it very much. Thats a great picture of the bison Rib Cage, I wouldn't have guessed they were built like that, looks like you gotta shoot them low.

Thanks

B

Glad you noticed the rib cage, I put it in there because like they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" and "seeing is believeing." Hopefully new bison hunters will remember this and shoot real low, right behind the front leg elbow.

Mtnhunter
12-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Great story and a great Bull! Congratulations!!!

tomahawk
12-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Any idea on what it will score?

L.

L, I guess it depends on whether you use the Booner or SCI method, either way he is too young a bull to be a record book bull, he would have been close to minimum but not quite there. 2 or 3 yrs from now he would have been in there likely. He should be lots of good eating meat and that's more important to us.

IPA
12-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks for posting the rib cage picture as it helped me alot.
My bison went down with one shot, took out both lungs and part of the heart.

tomahawk
12-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for posting the rib cage picture as it helped me alot.
My bison went down with one shot, took out both lungs and part of the heart.

Good to hear, that was my intent with the picture! Where's the story and pictures?

muleskinnerblued
12-10-2009, 05:36 AM
This one was a 7mm with Vital Shock Trophy Bonded Tips in 175 gr. We have also taken them with a 30-06 with Federal Premium Nosler Partitions in 180 gr and 300 WM in Vital Shock Barnes MRX in 180 gr.

Thanx for the reply... at that range (inside 75 yrds) I was expecting a guide gun.. maybe .444 or .450 marlin or even 45/70 1895gs :mrgreen: (latter my personal favorite) I only hope in the future to afford the time and money to persue
an animal of that stature...once again great story ....

Little Hawk
12-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Great story Tomahawk!
Makes me want to put in for a buffalo draw.

Need a sled or a quad first I guess. My old '4-stroker' dirt bike wouldn't work here...

tomahawk
12-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanx for the reply... at that range (inside 75 yrds) I was expecting a guide gun.. maybe .444 or .450 marlin or even 45/70 1895gs :mrgreen: (latter my personal favorite) I only hope in the future to afford the time and money to persue
an animal of that stature...once again great story ....

I have never been a believer in bigger is better, my preference is shot placement compared to a bigger bullet. Hit anything in the vital area with a rifle that is suited for the animal and it will go down. However I do agree the bigger caliber's do give you added assistance in a larger wound and thus faster finish as well as more shock value.