PDA

View Full Version : Road Hunters?

darrin6109
12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I get a real chuckle from many posts in regards to road hunters, the thing that gets my goat is when the so called and self proclaimed "true bush hunters" complain about road hunters disturbing their hunt? If you are the true hunter that you think you are why are you hunting anywhere near the road? I'm not sure what the definition of a "bush hunter" is but I dont consider walking a 100yards of the road to be any different? Can someone explain this to me please.
Thanks
Darrin

Angel
12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
:mrgreen: stir the pot......... stir stir stir......

all those who say they hate road hunter are closet road hunters:-D

LYKTOHUNT
12-03-2009, 09:41 AM
I get a real chuckle from many posts in regards to road hunters, the thing that gets my goat is when the so called and self proclaimed "true bush hunters" complain about road hunters disturbing their hunt? If you are the true hunter that you think you are why are you hunting anywhere near the road? I'm not sure what the definition of a "bush hunter" is but I dont consider walking a 100yards of the road to be any different? Can someone explain this to me please.
Thanks
Darrin
Never mind that , lets here about your avatar:-D:wink:

12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Hey if the Chick in your avtar wants to stay warm and Cozy in the Truck,
well I guess I'd be a road hunter, if not I'm in the bush any way ..... bush, yup thats where a guy wants to be. Gettin er done.
You take your opportunities where you can, and any bush hunter that says he's going to turn down that smoker buck because he's on the road is a liar or out and out fool. What I get a real charge out of is these guys that are lucky enough to get a Dandy on the road but make up some story how it lived on the top of the highest Mnt. and you call em on it ..... or bag their trophy on some golf coarse, sheesh, that was tough eh ??
I takes em where I find em but most the time I prefer the bush. It's just more rewarding and a better experience.
CT

Chuck
12-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Personally, I think that road hunting should be regulated to those 50 years old and older. All others found hunting within 300 yards of either side of a FSR should be charged with hunting in a restricted area.

I think this is fair, in that it gives the old farts, who still have the desire but whose legs are a bit done a chance. Would also help in the carbon bs too, as the old guys would probably score sooner and then stay home instead of cruising around in the bush every day.

GoatGuy
12-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks
Darrin

Because the 'bush hunters' walk down the road (they call it hiking) instead of driving down it and then they complain about running into people in trucks on the road.

They'd rather have hunters walk up and down an FSR instead of driving on it.

The bush is full of grizzly bears and other sorts of wild animals that will try to eat you. The deer know that too, that's why walking down the road is so productive

Makes sense, I know.

swampdonkey
12-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Never mind that , lets here about your avatar:-D:wink:
x2:mrgreen:

KB90
12-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Personally, I think that road hunting should be regulated to those 50 years old and older. All others found hunting within 300 yards of either side of a FSR should be charged with hunting in a restricted area, I think this is fair.

haha funny, especially since almost all logging have some type of FSR going through it or around.

old guys would probably score sooner and then stay home instead of cruising around in the bush every day.

I do believe my grandpa loves cruising the bush everyday and is in no rush to kill something.

Bowtime
12-03-2009, 10:37 AM
The definition of a road hunter can be defined by 100 yards in my opinion. I walk up roads that can possibly be drivin up in a truck, easily with a quad. You can't hear anything from inside a truck, get out and walk and you will be amazed what you may hear or see. even if its only 100 yards.

kyleklassen
12-03-2009, 10:41 AM
if your on a road your a road hunter. wheather its on foot ,bike or truck. you are taking advantage of ease of acsess. and yes i do it..... lots

ravensfoot
12-03-2009, 10:42 AM
The definition of a road hunter can be defined by 100 yards in my opinion. I walk up roads that can possibly be drivin up in a truck, easily with a quad. You can't hear anything from inside a truck, get out and walk and you will be amazed what you may hear or see. even if its only 100 yards.

You wouldn't believe how many hunters I've heard talking in their truck even before I hear their truck driving by.

You still need to road hunt on your way to the bush hunt.

jml11
12-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Exactly! And just as I posted on another thread yesterday. We will all shoot that decent bull, buck or whatever standing in the middle of the road if the opportunity presents itself, why wouldn't you. Plus sometimes you just don't feel like walking!

sawmill
12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
You wouldn't believe how many hunters I've heard talking in their truck even before I hear their truck driving by.

That`s right,and I`m in the 50 or better catagory but I still like to walk.
By the way,is that the elk sign on the Hi-way between Kimberley and Ta Ta Creek on you avatar?I thought they took that down.They should not have,that stretch is a sea of green eyes at night this time of year,scariest drive in the country:shock:

Chuck
12-03-2009, 10:52 AM
So why do they call it an "avatar"??????

It's a picture - and has nothing whatsoever to do with Hindu mysticism.

Brian011
12-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I think it ok to road hunt in the truck. I mostly hike, walk and wait in the bush buy on occasion either from being cold or not knowing the area I'll head back to the truck and go for a drive. Or if I get frustrated from not seeing anything I'll drive a bit, it definately isn't as rewarding shooting something from the road after driving but if I saw a nice buck I wouldn't turn it down, it fills the freezer just the same. So if guys get bugged by road hunters just go further off the road where you won't see any vehicles.

jaywill
12-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I prefer quad hunting deactivations and trails , but I do road hunt too. It was quite a sight on the last day of moose , I went out and there were trucks puttering down the fsr's pretty much bumper to bumper. suffice to say no meat came home that day.

digger dogger
12-03-2009, 11:09 AM
anyone who says they would not jump outta the truck\ off the quad, to kill a 200 class mulie or wht tail, 50" bull moose ect, in a legal situation on a road is a LIAR.
animals are lazy so they will follow a road if thats the way they are going.
i do both.. jml11 is dead on. "why wouldn't you"

Prowler
12-03-2009, 11:10 AM
We will all shoot that decent bull, buck or whatever standing in the middle of the road if the opportunity presents itself, why wouldn't you.

Speak for yourself... I have passed up several large bucks on the road, that I would have shot in the bush, had I seen them while hiking...
I have also killed a few big bucks on the road in the past, but I dont like to do it, and as I said, have passed them up in order to keep bush hunting.
Road hunters dont bother me at all. Maybe the guy behind the wheel has a bum knee, or has been busting ass in the timber all day, and is just enjoying a cup of coffee and a drive, as I do often....

GoatGuy
12-03-2009, 11:11 AM

Using your legs to go up a road is called walking, not hiking and if you have a gun over your shoulder or a bow in hand it's called road hunting.:mrgreen:

LYKTOHUNT
12-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Speak for yourself... I have passed up several large bucks on the road, that I would have shot in the bush, had I seen them while hiking...
I have also killed a few big bucks on the road in the past, but I dont like to do it, and as I said, have passed them up in order to keep bush hunting.
Road hunters dont bother me at all. Maybe the guy behind the wheel has a bum knee, or has been busting ass in the timber all day, and is just enjoying a cup of coffee and a drive, as I do often....
X2 on all of that

open-sights
12-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Who cares how you hunt, as long as you hunt. There are too many groups that hate on us already, quit hating on each other.

islandboy
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
I thought road hunters came along to push the game up into the hills where I was waiting. :mrgreen:

yamadirt 426
12-03-2009, 11:31 AM
There is a healthy balance of both out in the bush. Its all about balance for me.

jml11
12-03-2009, 11:33 AM

I think I speak for the majority of hunters not just myself! Good for you passing on bucks on the road for your own moral reasons but for a lot people it is not about where they killed it but what they killed! As many self proclaimed trophy hunters have told me "I take'em where I can get 'em".

I understand that for many there is more value in getting a kill away from the truck after busting your as all day in the bush. I for one would never pass on an animal that met my standards if I saw it from the truck...so far in all my hunting life this has only happened once! I don't feel that kill holds any less value than any other. In fact it turned out to be my biggest buck yet and there was a lot of jealousy from fellow hunters that it was taken from the road. So be it...

Gateholio
12-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Personally, I think that road hunting should be regulated to those 50 years old and older. All others found hunting within 300 yards of either side of a FSR should be charged with hunting in a restricted area.

I think this is fair, in that it gives the old farts, who still have the desire but whose legs are a bit done a chance. Would also help in the carbon bs too, as the old guys would probably score sooner and then stay home instead of cruising around in the bush every day.

Perfectly sensible concept...:tongue:

Ozone
12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
What if the road is real old and hasnt seen a car for 80 years, is it still a road. I was walking though the bush and came across a very old road and started fallowing it mostly out of curiosity as I never new it existed. Walking along and suddenly see a railroad track. So does that count? Is a railroad grade still a road?

kwasky
12-03-2009, 12:25 PM
For me its all about getting out of the house! If with my mom we road hunt and maybe go for little hikes. But when with a friend we're not afraid to park and hike. It depends on who your with, in my case.

moosinaround
12-03-2009, 12:27 PM
It's all about groceries for the kill. Where ever they stand if they are legal and I have a tag, they are kaput!! A nice mix of road hunting/hiking is nice! Mix it up after all variety is the spice of life! Moosin

matt420
12-03-2009, 02:49 PM
hmmm nooo your stupid man... hunting is hunting weather your a road hunter or a wanna be bush hunter or a bush hunter... i love to do both....and who cares about the carbon cuz your goin to have to drive to your spot anyways man so what the diff... and you cant tell me that if that was the law that if you were driving to your spot and seen a cranker on the road you wouldnt take it cuz that BS and you know it ... would would shoot one on the road or in the bush admit it man ...... any hunter would never pass one up cuz its on the road....... smarten up man!!

matt420
12-03-2009, 02:52 PM
disagree i actually seen way more wildlife this season driving, than walkin and sitting combined!

matt420
12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha man some weird people on here... there is no way you hear them talkin before they drive by unless you got super hearing your so funny

Prowler
12-03-2009, 03:11 PM
any hunter would never pass one up cuz its on the road....... smarten up man!!

I do it a few times every year buddy... You smarten up....:-D

Big7
12-03-2009, 03:28 PM

You can't be serious....step 1 - remove head from your ass

Big7
12-03-2009, 03:30 PM
I do it a few times every year buddy... You smarten up....:-D
Guess your not as hungry as some others may be.

Bowtime
12-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Are you guys kidding me? A few of you are ribbing me about walking up a bushed in side road? Calling me a road hunter because I choose to park my truck and walk? It is like walking up a trail on these roads that are crouded with alders. Not considered road hunting.

fuzzybiscuit
12-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Personally, some days I don’t mind road hunting. It’s always warm. It’s never that far of a drag to the road. Only one side of me ever gets wet, and that can be minimized by rolling up the window farther. And on top of this, some days I feel just plain lazy and don’t want to climb to the top of a mountain.

I see just as many deer while road hunting, although maybe not as many good bucks. Some days I spend the whole day in the timber and don’t see a deer. There is no guarantee either way.

I think it should be up to the individual which way he chooses to hunt. There are already enough rules made by people that think that they know what is best for everyone else.

Prowler
12-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Guess your not as hungry as some others may be.

exactly, as I said earlier, I dont have a problem at all with guys that choose to road hunt, and have taken a few deer myself off the road, but being called a "liar" amongst other things on here for saying I pass up the ocasional big buck, or deer on the road is starting to piss me of!!!

12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
You know, what would happen if "bush hunters" stopped fighting "road hunters" and bow hunters stoped fighting gun hunters and reigon 4 and 7 stopped fighting LML and the island?
WTF arent we hunters hunting?
go hunting and like it

jaywill
12-03-2009, 04:12 PM
why the disagreement? technically "road hunters" and "bush hunters" should never really cross paths.

weatherby_man
12-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Let 'em ride if they want. The more on the road and less in the real bush is just fine by me.

Prowler
12-03-2009, 04:24 PM
why the disagreement? technically "road hunters" and "bush hunters" should never really cross paths.

Word.... Haha...

Gateholio
12-03-2009, 04:25 PM
You know, what would happen if "bush hunters" stopped fighting "road hunters" and bow hunters stoped fighting gun hunters and reigon 4 and 7 stopped fighting LML and the island?
WTF arent we hunters hunting?
go hunting and like it

x2

It's a big ol' province out there. Stop worrying about how the other guy is hunting and go out hunting yourself...:wink:

Hank Hunter
12-03-2009, 04:34 PM
X3. We live in a great province, enjoy all it has to offer

Kudu
12-03-2009, 04:41 PM
x4 - who gives a toss if you road hunt or bush hunt - this place is big enough for everyone.

rattling_junkie
12-03-2009, 04:58 PM
disagree i actually seen way more wildlife this season driving, than walkin and sitting combined!

Do you know why that is?

Because you don't know how to hunt like a real hunter! JK

I don't care anymore about road hunters or whatever you want to call them. There is a lot of land out there waiting to be explored and hunted.

Just a though here. Why are some hunters called "wannabe bush hunters" but no road hunters are called "wannabe road hunters"?

boyd050
12-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Who cares how you hunt, as long as you hunt. There are too many groups that hate on us already, quit hating on each other. you hit the nail on the head, seems too many people here focus on the things that don't really matter, you want to road hunt, do it, you want to walk, do that too.. who cares, do what makes you happy.. there is no right or wrong way... it's legal.. be concerned about the beer cans and garbage you find in the bush or near the roads, bi$tch about that, we're all pissed at those people but how you hunt???? really who cares.........we're lucky we can do it period.

kyleklassen
12-03-2009, 05:12 PM
imagine if the bush hunters relented and agreed that yup road hunting was the place to be. then the road hunters would be mad because to many were doing it. same for the opposite all who preach bush hunting would be choked when all the road guys were stumbling around.getting in their way... group hug.

12-03-2009, 05:13 PM
i love ya man!

carnivore
12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. This is a road hunter!!http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Roadhunter.jpg

Thanks
Darrin

abbyfireguy
12-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Getting rather tiring listening to so called bush hunters saying that somehow a person road hunting is less of a hunter.
Get over yourselves.
Life is way too short to get your panties tied in knots over silly little things.

mrdoog
12-03-2009, 07:45 PM

Awesome idea!

DR.DOUG
12-03-2009, 07:49 PM
More importantly............where the heck did you get a picture of my wife??????????

Manglinmike
12-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I just started to read this thread and I can,t believe what crap I,m reading, why don,t we drive a huge wedge down the middle of a allready fragmented group! I challange you guys to go back and re-read your posts you sound like cranky kinergarden kids that missed there knap time,hunting is hunting, I don,t care how you support it, just support it!!

digger dogger
12-03-2009, 08:15 PM
oh yea! what a great idea? for the guy who lives in a community that has hunting on their doorstep. 300 yds off the road gimme a break. like the c.o's don't have sh*t to do, but go after those, law breakin road huntin s.o.b's. how about gettin rid of hunting in the fields in 7b? some of those fields are beside roads? hunter retension friendly rule? or do you want all the critters for yourself? the guys who say they won't shoot a trophy animal on or beside a road must be workin on their legend status.. ha ha go hard bush boys.

mcrae
12-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I would love to shoot a critter near a road but I never seem to find them I can honestly say I am the worlds worst road hunter:-D...

Prowler
12-03-2009, 08:55 PM
the guys who say they won't shoot a trophy animal on or beside a road must be workin on their legend status.. ha ha go hard bush boys.

Did you ever think that what you call a trophy buck might be a rat to somebody else??:neutral:

Johnnybear
12-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I just started to read this thread and I can,t believe what crap I,m reading, why don,t we drive a huge wedge down the middle of a allready fragmented group! I challange you guys to go back and re-read your posts you sound like cranky kinergarden kids that missed there knap time,hunting is hunting, I don,t care how you support it, just support it!!

I fully agree with the above statement. The season is just coming to an end and the cabin fever has already set in:-?. To each there own on how they like to hunt. I hunt the road and off the road. So what am I called.................I know a hunter:idea:.

jml11
12-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Did you ever think that what you call a trophy buck might be a rat to somebody else??:neutral:

But you said that you pass on bucks on the road that you no question shoot in the bush...If it's a trophy to you in the bush why isn't it a trophy if you spot it from the truck? Not trying to knock you, just trying to make sense of it. I think I know the reason but just want to confirm my thoughts.

kgs
12-03-2009, 09:11 PM
A hunter is a hunter as long as he is out hunting period.

moosinaround
12-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Getting rather tiring listening to so called bush hunters saying that somehow a person road hunting is less of a hunter.
Get over yourselves.
Life is way too short to get your panties tied in knots over silly little things.
We could start the hard tackle vs fly tackle debate??!!! Come on let the sparks fly....................or cast??? Moosin

Johnnybear
12-03-2009, 09:31 PM
We could start the hard tackle vs fly tackle debate??!!! Come on let the sparks fly....................or cast??? Moosin

Oh come on Moosin let's get into the trophy vs meat hunter debate while we're at it:lol:. Good post:-D.

moosinaround
12-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Oh come on Moosin let's get into the trophy vs meat hunter debate while we're at it:lol:. Good post:-D.
I'm trying to LURE in a few members to this conversation!! Get it LURE???? I don't care who you are that there's funny!! "Larry the cable guy, Health inspector"!

deer nut
12-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Sometimes skulking through the bush doesn't work & you have to cover some ground - so there is a place for road hunting. That said, I think ATVs are more of a nusiance than road hunters! No fun to find a nice deserted old skid road to enable you to sneak into a sweet spot before first light & then have somebody on an ATV come ripping up & molest your hunt!!

moosinaround
12-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I could do this all day!

"Larry the cable guy, Health inspector"!

BCBear
12-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I would like to think that most of the HBC crowd is fairly serious about hunting and therefore respectful of others and the way they conduct themselves whether they are in a truck/quad/or on their feet.... BUT when I saw what I did last year while at camp during my spring bear hunt I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. Around the bend came a thumping sound, followed by a truck. It was 2 guys in the cab and another 3 in the truck box with beers and rifles in hand with AC/DC blasting through open windows, no doubt in an attempt to mask how stupid they looked as they "hunted". Needless to say I collapsed camp with minutes of seeing that. So yeah... road hunting does have its extremes.

wlbc
12-03-2009, 10:37 PM
X2 on cabin fever setting in...

Hunt how you want to hunt and don't judge the other guy for road, or trail, or bush hunting.

My hunting partner and I are both in the so called "old fart" class and we still get out and hump her around all day. We were out Knife Creek way in region 5 the other weekend and we were pretty much the only guys in the bush with a bunch of even older farts in trucks on the fsr's. My thoughts were, "Good for them."

fuzzybiscuit
12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Prowler:

"I dont have a problem at all with guys that choose to road hunt, and have taken a few deer myself off the road, but being called a "liar" amongst other things on here for saying I pass up the ocasional big buck, or deer on the road is starting to piss me of!!!"

Just remember Prowler, it's still better to be pissed off than pissed on!:smile:

elkster
12-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Man,you all just slay me. Due to serious health problems, I road hunt, I walk when I can, and I thank God I can do both. All of you should do the same. We are lucky we have the country and gameto be able to hunt at all. Just get out there and enjoy it, whatever way you do it. I know i do.

Cheers

burger
12-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Man,you all just slay me. Due to serious health problems, I road hunt, I walk when I can, and I thank God I can do both. All of you should do the same. We are lucky we have the country and gameto be able to hunt at all. Just get out there and enjoy it, whatever way you do it. I know i do.

Cheers

This had me thinkin. If you were a die hard "bush hunter", you know the guy who thinks that is the ONLY way and for some reason you could not hike anymore. Would you quit hunting or would you suck up your pride and road hunt? As we all age we ALL could be there one day. Food for thought. Don't be a hater..

I do both. I should do more hiking strictly for the exercise. I'm not out there for a trophy I'm out there for dinner so slogging mile after mile for my trophy aint the draw. The trophy for me is a nice roast with potats and gravy and knowing my kids are getting the most organic meat possible. If I get it on/near the road great. if I see no sign then I start expanding the repitoire.

Spy
12-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Ok,road hunters, beer drinkers, call them what you want. I have never seen any of them hunting on foot with a flat of beer strapped to their backs.
But seen allot of guy's driving Hunting with a flat next to them on the seat & a can in the hand.
My conclusion, Its hard work hunting on foot with all that extra weight, thats why they drive.

blackbart
12-03-2009, 11:43 PM
I see way, way, way more rabbits while driving than I do while out walking. What gives?

BTW, trophy size of said rabbits seems larger on the few that I do see while walking. Does the vector of transport distort my image? Or do I just remember some better than others??

Johnnybear
12-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Ok,road hunters, beer drinkers, call them what you want. I have never seen any of them hunting on foot with a flat of beer strapped to their backs.
But seen allot of guy's driving Hunting with a flat next to them on the seat & a can in the hand.
My conclusion, Its hard work hunting on foot with all that extra weight, thats why they drive.

I hope this was a joke? How many really?

I have yet to catch an *sshole chucking a can but have picked up many. Buddy saw some quader's in the area we hunt this year that couldn't even walk when they got off their quad's but they didn't have any rifles with them. We think they were out in the hills till all hours and never even made it home yet. Freak incident in my books.

Most of the guys I see out in the trucks etc. as I'm walking down a road are respectable folks and we share (maybe not that accurate) information etc. I can only recall two incidents where there was someone in a vehicle (not the driver) that was p*ssed in the last 15 years.

krazy
12-03-2009, 11:54 PM
These threads are hilarious! Road hunting vs bush hunting vs quad hunting vs still hunting ... walking an old road vs driving an old road ... holy $hit WTF's the difference? You are in the bush, the roads are in the bush, and the animals are both in the bush and on the roads that are in the bush. The only real difference seems to be the method of technology that one chooses to use to get around while in the bush - feet vs bike vs quad vs truck, etc. If truck hunters are not "real" hunters then using the same logic every guy on here that thinks he's better than any other hunter cause he walks as opposed to drives should be hunting with a long bow or spear and not one of those new fang dangled rifle things. And while we're at it he better not be wearing any of those new wind proof water proof camo outfits with a gps and cell phone in his pocket either.

Bottom line is that if you're out there hunting, using any method that you enjoy, good on you and *** any guy that thinks he's better than you cause he would have done it different.

....... unless it's gathouse since he's the only guy that i've seen on here that has actually killed anything with a spear! :shock:

papaken
12-04-2009, 12:50 AM
I've shot game next to the road when driving, 300yds back off the road when taking a quick walk, and 5k back in the bush after a long hike. Occasionally even cruised in a boat. I've used pack boards, game carts, quads, tracker, and trucks to haul game. Even threw some on my shoulder (my younger, dumber days) to get it out. Call yourselves whatever you want but don't call someone else down for the way they hunt. Me I'm just a hunter. Oh! The guy sittin' next to the real good "Deer Sign" is hilarious!

Johnnybear
12-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Being meat hunters only we hunt both by vehicle or by foot. Early in the morning or late in the afternoon it’s almost always the vehicle as one can cover a much larger area. In the daytime we scout by vehicle many, many roads and side roads looking for fresh sign. If a hot area is found then we plan a hunting strategy by foot.
Sometimes the hunt is all walk from camp.
I would say that well over 50% of game that we shot over the years was a result of road hunting.
We never have more than 2 people in the vehicle. What gets my goat is when you have 4 or 5 guys driving everywhere back and forth in one vehicle all day long-seen it at the Gang many times. I guess 10 eyes is better than 2.

Good post. I am guessing here but IMO road hunters totally outweigh the bush hunters (terminology as posted in this thread). There is nothing wrong with either method as long as it is legal period.

eastkoothunter
12-04-2009, 01:42 AM

---->Good luck with that one

rockdog
12-04-2009, 01:52 AM
It's not the road hunters that piss me off in my favorite area, it's the golfers.

landphil
12-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Where is an open season on roads listed in the regs? Sorry, there is no open season listed on roads. Hunting for deer, moose, grouse, rabbits, etc; that's all fine, but roads are not to be hunted. I doubt they taste very good anyway. And who gives a rip whether someone else wants to hunt from a truck or on foot? I do both, enjoy hunting on foot more, but have had better luck from the truck. Maybe that's because I'm a crappy hunter, but at least I enjoy myself most of the time.

hunter1947
12-04-2009, 05:11 AM
Hunting is hunting it don't matter where you shoot your animal when you shoot the animal its dead whether it is deep into the bush or beside a road ,its all meat in your freezer.

mrdoog
12-04-2009, 07:14 AM

What evever you do, don't mention flossing.

d6dan
12-04-2009, 07:37 AM

I like this thinking:tongue: Now we just have to convince the MOE....:-D

betteroffishing
12-04-2009, 08:52 AM
[quote=Chuck;568004]Personally, I think that road hunting should be regulated to those 50 years old and older. All others found hunting within 300 yards of either side of a FSR should be charged with hunting in a restricted area.

it makes some sence till you realize the logistics , ie i like to spend time with my very elderly father {lol} while we hunt . i also enjoy stalking through the woods , but father son time is part of the outting , and road hunting with my dad has made me a better still hunter . your going to charge me for hangin out with my dad on a fsr ???

BCBear
12-04-2009, 08:57 AM
[quote=Chuck;568004]Personally, I think that road hunting should be regulated to those 50 years old and older. All others found hunting within 300 yards of either side of a FSR should be charged with hunting in a restricted area.

I have old bones so punish those who don't...makes no sense to me

bighorn
12-04-2009, 09:13 AM
i've climbed just as many mountians as the next guy an some of them were awfully high.shot alot of game on those trips.
even when me and my hunting partner were young we did alot of road hunting.shot alot of game spotted from the truck.
sheep , elk , mountian goat ,moose, whitetails,mule deer , blacktails ,and bears. of these i used the truck as a rest for everything but the sheep.
blew a couple of road hunt sheep,a real nice stone ram up north truck for a rest,and three bighorn rams in the ek,would have loved to have got those 2 even if i spotted them from the road,
does this make me a bad hunter,i don't think so.
do i like hunting i love it,do i like climbing mountians and hunting i love it,do i like road hunting i love it.i just like hunting..

elkdom
12-04-2009, 09:15 AM
how about prevent $Millions$of $Dollars" in ICBC claims, save dozens of HUMAN lives across Canada every year from large animal collisions,:evil:

:idea: have an ALL Year Open season anywhere from the "Center-line" of the highway to 300 yards out! as our highways have become a "Game Reserve NO SHOOTING ZONE, baited with lush grass in the ditches and a Generous helping of yummmee SALT during the winter" it would make good sense to utilize and harvest the 1000's of big game animals being killed for NO GOOD REASON!:-?

people so dead against so called "Road Hunting" should really get FARTHER from roads, if ROAD HUNTING bothers them so much!

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Who cares how you hunt, as long as you hunt. There are too many groups that hate on us already, quit hating on each other.

Very well said.:wink:

Spy
12-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Yup, I agree with Elkdom.

M.Dean
12-04-2009, 10:04 AM
The last while, I haven't been able to walk more than 50 feet from my quad, so I guess I'm a quad hunter, maybe I should give up hunting which I've done for over 40 years to please the people that can walk!!!

elkdom
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Yup, I agree with Elkdom.

thankz!
I will be running in the next Provincial Election for "Minister of Highways and Minister of F&W/MOE"! :shock::smile:,

elkdom
12-04-2009, 10:11 AM
The last while, I haven't been able to walk more than 50 feet from my quad, so I guess I'm a quad hunter, maybe I should give up hunting which I've done for over 40 years to please the people that can walk!!!
I try not get that far (50feet)from my truck/quad, I can still walk that far! but WHY? :???:,,,

and besides, I do not own a GPS or a SPOT, I might get lost!:neutral:

BCrams
12-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't begrudge anyone's legal method of hunting. As long as they're out hunting.

There are many methods, tactics which work and by which some focus on solely while others will incorporate tactics which are situation specific (i.e., the fellow who loves still hunting will find it useless to hunt when the snow is crunchy whereas going into a treestand might be a good idea that day) .......

Road hunting - to and from hunting spots - why not!

I have also parked myself on a road knowing my odds were pretty good that I was going to shoot a decent buck in one spot.

Cariboospeed
12-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Being new to the area, I go for a drive and learn my way around the back roads beyond my country home... I don't think I've ever seen so many people out driving around 'hunting' and find it rather unnerving. A camp set up every few hundred yards, and the sound of a quad at all times and places.

Found a trail off a road, off a road, and off the main road. Looked like a good place to do some target shooting so I set up and bang away. I'm not one to let a barrel cool, and went through a couple boxes at a couple rounds a minute or so, in between walks back and forth to the target. Much to my amazement 3 vehicles go bouncing down the road behind me, wave and carry on.

Maybe its just me, but when I hear continuous successive shots, I stay away from the area 'cause someone is obviously target shooting.

I decide I'm just not into this many people in one area with guns. Gonna be a stupid, or drunk one somewhere in the mix and go home and wait a month and a half 'till the crowd thins out.

Go out again in the new November snow. Actually went out with my neighbor for a drive. We covered some 25km of back road, and never saw a single set of tracks cross the road. I went out 24hrs later and same thing. Continued exploring until I did find a lone set of deer tracks going into a 15 year old replant. Followed them up into the older timber and there were tracks and beaten bushes everywhere. Looked like the place where deer come to party. Even a couple hundred sq feet that looked like a rototiller on nitrous got loose from two bucks having it out.

Wandered around for a couple hours surveying the area and found a parallel road above the one I came in one some 300 yds away and realized I'm in the middle of a 'Y'. I could hear a vehicle go by every 15-20 minutes. I didn't think I was on a main road, according to my back road map book, but maybe its out dated...

As I got up to the upper road, a Jeep drives by, a woman with glasses had her head out the passenger window, much like a dog would do, only she kept her tongue in. I was standing beside a tree, not 30 ft from the road my upper chest and head in plain view. She didn't see me at all. I walked down the road a ways, again not a single track crossed the road. Back down I go and the sun went down as I fumbled through the forest trying to follow my own tracks back to my truck. I've since bought a little GPS...

Sent my neighbor out to the same spot the next morning. He parked in the same spot, walked in on my foot prints and whacked a 3 pt white tail 40 yds into the bush. As he's pulling it into his truck, a guy pulls up and asks him if he saw it from the road. :-?

Don't get me wrong, I'm ready to bail out a shoot as I go to where I'm going, but once I get there, I like to get out and hike. Apparently deer around here have learned that if the stay away from the roads, people will just drive by. Works for me.... :wink:

rattling_junkie
12-04-2009, 11:28 AM
i've climbed just as many mountians as the next guy an some of them were awfully high.shot alot of game on those trips.
even when me and my hunting partner were young we did alot of road hunting.shot alot of game spotted from the truck.
sheep , elk , mountian goat ,moose, whitetails,mule deer , blacktails ,and bears. of these i used the truck as a rest for everything but the sheep.
blew a couple of road hunt sheep,a real nice stone ram up north truck for a rest,and three bighorn rams in the ek,would have loved to have got those 2 even if i spotted them from the road,
does this make me a bad hunter,i don't think so.
do i like hunting i love it,do i like climbing mountians and hunting i love it,do i like road hunting i love it.i just like hunting..

Did you just admit to using your vehicle as a rest on a public forum?

"You should also know it’s unlawful:
1. to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or
a boat propelled by a motor."

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0910/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_0910.pdf

Hopefully there are no COs that frequent this site or you could be in a heap of trouble.

I for one love road hunters because it keeps them out of the bush were you actually have to know the habits of the animal you are after.

RustyRipper
12-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Nothing wrong with road hunting in my opinion as long as its done legally, but what grinds my gears is when a guy (or gal) parks their truck across the entrance of a road (especially one that leads to many other roads) and so I can't get into where I want to hunt. It's one thing to use the fsr or gsr for your benefit but it's another to claim ownership of them. A guy this season was parked across an entrance of a spot I had scouted before deer season and he even had a camper to the side where I would have been able to get around. ruined my plan A. inconsiderate.

DV-67
12-04-2009, 12:11 PM

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0910/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_0910.pdf

Hopefully there are no COs that frequent this site or you could be in a heap of trouble.

I for one love road hunters because it keeps them out of the bush were you actually have to know the habits of the animal you are after.

Was waiting for this.........

I believe he meant that he was driving as a way of resting from the hunting he was doing before.

Not that he was using the truck as a shooting perch.

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 12:23 PM

Here we go again.:roll: Never assume that somebody violates a law because of a hastily written comment in a forum. I too use the truck to rest my legs as I drive from one to another hunting area. It's not against the law. Not yet!

rattling_junkie
12-04-2009, 12:31 PM
How I am supposed to know that he wrote that comment in haste?:confused:

Do you know for certain that he wrote his comment in haste?

This is a forum where we can only interpret written word and not body language, speech correction or intonation. If what he has written is ambiguous then it is his responsibility to clarify when questions or accusations arise.

303Brit
12-04-2009, 12:43 PM

So basically, Unless your 50 you can't hunt oh lets say approx 2/3 of Vancouver Island. Furthermore who decides if a road is still a road and how long it will stay a road?

Besides that onto the far more irritating subject, The CARBON BS? Really, Honestly do you buy into that crap. Globally Privately Owned Motor Vehicles (POMV's) account for less than %10 of the global Carbon/greenhouse gases.
That is a pretty small drop in the bucket, Like stealing water from the ocean with an eye dropper.
You probably also believe a place like the Comox Valley needs water meter even though, it had 37cm of rain fall in the month of November.

As far as road hunting goes I do it, and will continue to do it. I also go into the bush to into and climb mountains, just ask Ciskman. As long as people are legally harvesting their animals, and not wasting it I'm fine with it.

303Brit
12-04-2009, 12:51 PM
thankz!
I will be running in the next Provincial Election for "Minister of Highways and Minister of F&W/MOE"! :shock::smile:,

You got my vote, :mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
12-04-2009, 01:04 PM

This is a forum where we can only interpret written word and not body language, speech correction or intonation. If what he has written is ambiguous then it is his responsibility to clarify when questions or accusations arise.

It doesn't matter. Someone on here got a clarified response from MOE on this subject and they said that is not against the law to use your vehicle as a rest while shooting. You may find some CO's disagree with that but most on here copied that letter.
Would post a link to that thread but I'm too lazy..or busy.

SSS

SteadyGirl
12-04-2009, 02:09 PM
It doesn't matter. Someone on here got a clarified response from MOE on this subject and they said that is not against the law to use your vehicle as a rest while shooting. You may find some CO's disagree with that but most on here copied that letter.
Would post a link to that thread but I'm too lazy..or busy.

SSS

Lazy it is:tongue::mrgreen:

12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
hell us road hunters didnt need anyone to tell us if its right or wrong, we do it any way. it is just sometimes hard to find a place to put my beer befor i get out of the truck

SAVAGE300
12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Boy, some of yous have got to calm down ( take a valium) personally I hunt like alot of you probably. I road hunt and I hike and I even still hunt and sometimes I even use my boat, each to his/her own

12-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm just pluggin the stero type Savage3
i get a little tired of it as well, re my post a few pages ago

ravensfoot
12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
That`s right,and I`m in the 50 or better catagory but I still like to walk.
By the way,is that the elk sign on the Hi-way between Kimberley and Ta Ta Creek on you avatar?I thought they took that down.They should not have,that stretch is a sea of green eyes at night this time of year,scariest drive in the country:shock:

That stretch is on the highway between Golden and Revelstoke. Just love those green eyes

bforce750
12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Road Huntin all the way man i dont even get out of my car :biggrin:

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 05:22 PM

I do not know for sure and neither do I care.

rattling_junkie
12-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Then your comment as no merit. Good day!

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Then your comment as no merit. Good day!

What I am trying to tell you is this. Don't sweet the little details and give people the benefit of doubt.:-D

darrin6109
12-04-2009, 08:12 PM
so we have heard from a lot of road hunters, but what about the bush hunters? how far away from the beat and path do you have to be to join the club?

M.Dean
12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
What a Horse Shit Tread! What the Christ does it matter if you chose to hunt on foot or from your truck??? If you like to hike, HIKE! If you like to drive DRIVE!!! If you think your twice the hunter because you walk, good for you! I'd imagine that if you hikers got sick or blew a knee , instead of driving around enjoying being out and hunting, you'd stay home and watch golf on TV, not lowering your selves to a mere Road Hunter!!!

Ozone
12-04-2009, 08:21 PM
so we have heard from a lot of road hunters, but what about the bush hunters? how far away from the beat and path do you have to be to join the club?

The law states 17kms.

bighorn
12-04-2009, 08:30 PM

i was shooting over the hood standing on the ground,or between the window and the cab,i really like this one as you can wedge your gun in the crack.makes it good and steady

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 09:04 PM
What a Horse Shit Tread! What the Christ does it matter if you chose to hunt on foot or from your truck??? If you like to hike, HIKE! If you like to drive DRIVE!!! If you think your twice the hunter because you walk, good for you! I'd imagine that if you hikers got sick or blew a knee , instead of driving around enjoying being out and hunting, you'd stay home and watch golf on TV, not lowering your selves to a mere Road Hunter!!!

I like that post a lot.

darrin6109
12-04-2009, 09:49 PM
the thread is only aimed at the bush hunters that bitch about road hunters. it's funny that they really dont have a whole lot to say when confronted.

Ozone
12-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Perhaps becouse most of us dont give a flying **** how other people get out to enjoy themselves.

BlacktailStalker
12-04-2009, 10:01 PM
i was shooting over the hood standing on the ground,or between the window and the cab,i really like this one as you can wedge your gun in the crack.makes it good and steady

I prefer to lean the captain chair back a bit and rest the rifle on the arm of my mirror when shooting out the driver side, the bonus of having an F350 with those big mirrors. My second favorite, which is also why I'll never buy a truck without a sunroof, is using the passenger side of the open roof as a rest while shooting up the opposing steep bank.
I do this often when taking new hunters out as I make them drag the deer to the truck, just so they understand how hard it is to drag a deer. This prevents them from hiking too far from the road aside to take a dump and ensures they do not find my favorite hiking spots.

Islandeer
12-04-2009, 10:01 PM
x2

It's a big ol' province out there. Stop worrying about how the other guy is hunting and go out hunting yourself...:wink:

Freakin hunt!! By boat,truck,boots,helicopter(but not the same day), real hunters are oppurtunists,. so nadda yadda matta.

like today,the past 2 days I have been busting it looking for a Blacktail that would remotely compare to the Pemberton Gang, yah they don't grow like that here. So when buck melancholy sets in nothing better than bouncin the crap out of the beat up back in the old Ford. Not to mention the wobblies option... :wink:

BCBear
12-04-2009, 10:10 PM
a good way to become a trail/bush hunter is to keep drinkin and driving while your hunting you may just lose your license for a year and get to try it out courtesy of the province.

Big7
12-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah...your right...all road hunters are boozers for sure...they do nothing but drive around all season and get drunk....

Get off your high horse, they drive because "they" want to - and "they" probably out "hunt" you year after year which is the real reason why you are bitter! haha out hunted by "road hunters" - awesome!!!

rattling_junkie
12-04-2009, 10:43 PM

When you actually get out of your warm truck and take the elements like a man!

Road hunters don't know how to read sign or know how to use terrain features to their advantage. Their hardest decision is when there is a fork in the road and deciding which road to take.

There I have responded to your confrontation.

Prowler
But you said that you pass on bucks on the road that you no question shoot in the bush...If it's a trophy to you in the bush why isn't it a trophy if you spot it from the truck? Not trying to knock you, just trying to make sense of it. I think I know the reason but just want to confirm my thoughts.

Hmmm, in a nutshell? Because I didnt earn it. I lucked out onto it. I stumbled on to it, on the road. Where is the skill? Beacuse I was fast enough out of the truck, and jack a shell in and lean over the hood? Sorry, just dont find that gratifying at all. as I said, I have down it in the past, and just came to realize, it didnt make me feel very good. I would NEVER hack another guy for doing the same thing though, and if you look back I havent on here, so dont go there. To each his own...

Big7
Yeehaw M.Dean! Attaboy!

As said before, hunting is hunting....the rest is just minor details!! P.S.....My Grandpa used to tell me when I was a kid that if a moose was more than a 1/4mile from the road then it wasn't worth shooting! Now that man was smart!

rattling_junkie
12-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah...your right...all road hunters are boozers for sure...they do nothing but drive around all season and get drunk....

Get off your high horse, they drive because "they" want to - and "they" probably out "hunt" you year after year which is the real reason why you are bitter! haha out hunted by "road hunters" - awesome!!!

Out hunt? What is your definition of hunting? If it means having having excellent peddle control and knowledge of tires then I guess you would be able to out hunt him.

I really don't care if you guys want to road hunt but you obviously feel threatened about your hunting style if you have to go after so called "bush hunters".

So move on and keep burning fuel, we could all use the tax dollars.

Big7
12-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Road hunters don't know how to read sign or know how to use terrain features to their advantage. Their hardest decision is when there is a fork in the road and deciding which road to take.
Right on the money......pull your head out of your rear......do you honestly think it makes a difference wether a "hunter" shoots a legal animal after driving up to it in a pickup or while hiking through the bush? Granted, I get more satisfaction if have to "pack" an animal back to the truck but.....I love wacking a moose right beside a road...true bush hunters like you will never understand how fun and easy that is!!!!

It would be interesting to find out how many animals "bush hunters" have harvested vs. "road hunters"......I would hazard to guess, a lot LESS! For most of us, meat in the freezer is the most important thing - no matter how it's harvested.

rattling_junkie
12-04-2009, 11:05 PM
For me it is not about quantity. I love the hunt and would rather spend 10 days straight in the bush than 2 days in a truck. Don't get me wrong I like to tag animals but I just like going about it a different way than you road hunters.

I was introduced to hunting through road hunting. We never did get anything. Maybe my dad didn't have the right speed down. It sure was boring as heck. When I started going out on my own I couldn't believe the experiences that I had. I heard deer grunting for the first time. I could sneak up to animals that were unaware of my presence.

I don't like to road hunt, you do. So what, who cares. There was no need to entice bush hunters into a fight with this thread. I do understand that bush hunters have been guilty for bashing road hunters but lets move on and agree that people have different preferences.

Gateholio
12-04-2009, 11:06 PM

like today,the past 2 days I have been busting it looking for a Blacktail that would remotely compare to the Pemberton Gang, yah they don't grow like that here. :

Funny thing is, we spend lots of time on the backroads, road hunting...

While we dont' shoot many bucks on the road, it's a useful way to find areas and glass.

blacklab
12-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Anyone that drives from home to their hunting location is a road hunter.

rattling_junkie
12-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Anyone that shoots a gun is a murderer.

mrdoog
12-05-2009, 09:58 AM
What a bunch of losers.:tongue:

elkdom
12-05-2009, 10:05 AM

lifetime banishment! for telling the TRUTH! :shock:, careful there mrdoogee!:lol::lol::tongue:

Prowler
12-05-2009, 10:09 AM

Inappropriate Language
-------
Insulting language. No reply necessary:-D

papaken
12-05-2009, 11:35 AM

"I was introduced to hunting through road hunting. We never did get anything. Maybe my dad didn't have the right speed down."

30k on single lane FSR. 60k on double lane FSR.:wink:

12-06-2009, 01:38 AM
if you do 80 the potholes are smoothe