PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Crossbows

striperjack
12-03-2009, 09:33 AM
I am new to the archery end of hunting. Time to try something new.

Any advise on what to look for in A crossbow?

I know i need 150lb min for hunting

THanks in advance

Bow Walker
12-03-2009, 09:44 AM
It's hard to find a cross bow that is less than 150 lbs these days, so you're good there. I'd recommend a 'package' deal from whomever you go with. Some of the better ones (and in no particular order) are Excalibur, Horton, Barnett, etc.

There are those who prefer a recurve design over a compound design - reasoning that simplicity is best. It really doesn't make any difference as long as you take the time and initiative to maintain your equipment. Either one will do just fine.

Although you may find that the recurve limb crossbows are a bit less expensive than the compound ones - I'm not sure on that point. If you can, try them in the store. Try pulling back on the string a bit to get an idea of the strength it requires to cock the bow.

It wouldn't do to get a 275 lb bow and have al sorts of trouboe trying to cock the thing. Something in less poundage will do the job just fine and be a whole lot easier (and fun) to shoot. Drop in to Island Outlaws and have a look at what they have. Then make the trek up to Nanaimo and check out Wholesale Sports.

Good luck in your new venture.

brotherjack
12-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Buy an Excalibur and don't look back. I've owned several different brands/types of x-bows over the years, and the Excalibur is easily the highest quality/most reliable/most accurate piece I've owned. And, it's made in Canada too; how can you beat that?

:)

Bow Walker
12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Here's two Canadian manufacturers to have a look at. I know of a guy who bought from Canadian Crossbows and is very happy with the product.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/

http://www.canadacrossbow.com

rocksteady
12-03-2009, 11:05 AM
2 words of advice from me:

Buy a quality product ( as said here before, Horton, Excalibur etc) a low price may be a low quality bow...

Buy quality broadheads ( no use shooting a $1000 bow, when you take the shot and the $7 broadheads from Wally World fail miserably and then you follow a wounded animal for the rest of the day)...A quality broadhead will help to ensure a clean kill, if put in the right spot...I prefer mechanicals, but thats just me...

mikeinajeep
12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Buy an excalibur!! If you come to the lower mainland you can try mine. I like it alot.

huntwriter
12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Buy an Excalibur and don't look back. I've owned several different brands/types of x-bows over the years, and the Excalibur is easily the highest quality/most reliable/most accurate piece I've owned. And, it's made in Canada too; how can you beat that?

:)

What he said. BTW-I am not into brand names. It just so happens that of all the different crossbow brands and models I've field tested the Excalibur line always came out on top of the heap.

hardnocks
12-03-2009, 07:59 PM
an excaliber is a great crossbow but being a recurve its got wide limb. and must be 150lbs to hunt in bc. a crossbow is hard enough to still hunt with and the wide limbs of a recurve make it that much harder. a ten point is a well made crossbow. a compound so it has narrower limbs and only has to be 100lbs. it also has an anti dryfire on it. a pse and a stryker by bowtech are good. any of these you would serve you well. i would stay away from horton and especially a barnett

12-03-2009, 10:46 PM
All the popular names put out decent enough equipment......it boils down to personal preference more then any one brand having a big edge over any of the others. I shoot a ten point Phantom CLS and thinks its one of the best on the market.

mikeinajeep
12-04-2009, 03:02 AM
All good advise, I would add that excaliber is made in canada and you can take it apart in seconds to store it in a rifle case. I can also restring mine in a very short amount of time and I don't know if you can do that with a compound.

rocksteady
12-04-2009, 09:28 AM
i would stay away from horton

Why do you not support Horton??? I have had one for close to ten years and love it...No issues, shoots great...

Please explain...

OOBuck
12-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Why do you not support Horton??? I have had one for close to ten years and love it...No issues, shoots great...

Please explain...

X2............

mikeinajeep
12-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I would really like to try that Horton Recon 175. That is one crazy looking crossbow. Has anyone got one, I would be willing to trade for a weekend.

striperjack
12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the info

I ended up getting a Barnett Wildcat C5

I looked at at Barnett and Excalibur, but ended up with the Barnett due to a more affordable price at this time...

Again thanks for the info guys

I will give that a try and may end up upgrading and giving this one to my son who will be 10 next year for target practice if it doesn't work out.

I will mostly be hunting dear/and some bear

hardnocks
12-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Please explain...
I sell all brands of crossbows . service on horton is poor, can hardly get parts on new hortons. impossible on older models .

mikeinajeep
12-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Is the Barnett the Canadian Tire sells? My buddy wants a crossbow but just a cheap one to target with no hunting.

Bow Walker
12-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I sell all brands of crossbows . service on horton is poor, can hardly get parts on new hortons. impossible on older models .
I've had the same problem(s) with older Barnetts. Just can't seem to get parts anymore. Even talking to the factory in Florida!

The Canadian crossbows are certainly "inexpensive" at less than $300 for an all inclusive package....:wink::-D

CanuckShooter
12-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Another question on crossbows.....which is quieter in the release a compound [10 point] or a recurve [excaliber]???

hardnocks
12-12-2009, 07:54 PM
recurve is quieter