PDA

View Full Version : 8 weight rod

Salty
12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I bought a large arbour 7/8 Snowbee reel with spare spools today. I need a rod to go with it. I plan to harass steelhead this winter. And beach on a trip to Mexico in the new year. Discuss.

..see...pics last pg (dec 12)

PGK
12-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I find when you step up to the heavier weight rods, especially throwing tips like you will be for winter steel, your casting stroke matters a lot. Slow, med, fast? I like a medium. 70-80 foot snap-t singlehand speys with my 9'0'' 8wt Kamloops Dragonfly and 10' of t-10 is a breeze. Other people find it clunky and difficult to throw. Depends on your casting stroke...

Salty
12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I find when you step up to the heavier weight rods, especially throwing tips like you will be for winter steel, your casting stroke matters a lot. Slow, med, fast? I like a medium. 70-80 foot snap-t singlehand speys with my 9'0'' 8wt Kamloops Dragonfly and 10' of t-10 is a breeze. Other people find it clunky and difficult to throw. Depends on your casting stroke...

Don't forget dude, I'm pretty newbish here. But my TFO rod hasn't exploded yet :wink: and its what, medium/fast, and I'm doing all right with it but still learning. I wouldn't want any slower I don't think. (This experience with a 9' 5 wt).

I'm thinking fastish rod? longer and I like a switch cast potential. ..

THE SWEDE
12-02-2009, 08:01 PM
What kind of money are you looking to spend?

Salty
12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I see decent looking offerings around 2 bills. Would go a fair bit more if it gets my ya ya going, but don't want to go high end yet. ..

squamishmiles
12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
sage launch

THE SWEDE
12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I know where theres a few rods on sale right now Might be just what your looking for.I'll message you

Salty
12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
thanks swede

Do you own a launch squamish' ? I've heard good things about them. ..

squamishmiles
12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Don't own one, but will buy one if my warrenty for a couple of my rods doesn't come through, have a couple of friends who own them and have tried them, good bang for the buck

000buck
12-02-2009, 09:16 PM
all i can say is http://fly.greysfishing.com/en-gb/products/rods/single-handed/platinum-xd-saltwater/ best buy for $ will serve you very well, contact me for purchase info

PGK
12-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Hey Salty, I just thought of the new St Croix Imperial. Line up your reel and go try one out in a parking lot. I flipped one in summer and it felt really nice. Enough backbone typical of the Imperial to throw tips but fast enough to make it easy on a newbie. In well under 2 bones too.

THE SWEDE
12-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Hey Salty, I just thought of the new St Croix Imperial. Line up your reel and go try one out in a parking lot. I flipped one in summer and it felt really nice. Enough backbone typical of the Imperial to throw tips but fast enough to make it easy on a newbie. In well under 2 bones too.

Yes much better choice than the Dragonfly in my opinion.St Croix has a real good warrenty as well

PGK
12-03-2009, 10:41 AM
The dragonfly just fits how I like to cast tips. Singlehand snap-t's and simple c-speys. It really is just a broomstick unless you know what it needs. I wouldn't reccomend it.

Hydrojet
12-03-2009, 11:42 AM
redington had a new series of switch rods...that way you could single or double....makes life a lot easier when casting for a whole day....I was impress with them at the sportsman show last year and have heard good things so far....I am looking at them for a lighter two hand job for bows, cutts and browns (4-6 wt) but they were nice to toss in that size I would imagine the larger to be nice as well...but seriously look at a switch...they will perform better with spey style casts as well as work great as a single hand...it's what they were made for

Samsquantch
12-03-2009, 12:10 PM
a couple of years ago i got a TFO lefty kreh signature series after my sage was assaulted by the girlfriend in late august (she has bad timing). 100 bucks for the rod with a lifetime warranty. The company is based out of canada which makes the whole process much easier and quicker should a break happen. 8 wt 9 ft decent action (Med slow). Definitely worth the money. Look into them. They can tackle any sink tips you wanna throw (I was using the scientific anglers multitip, have since switched to rio lines) and i landed fish up to 18 lbs with it no problem.

Kudu
12-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I bought a large arbour 7/8 Snowbee reel with spare spools today. I need a rod to go with it. I plan to harass steelhead this winter. And beach on a trip to Mexico in the new year. Discuss.

A pleasant problem facing you ...

Try a Sage Xi2 - I have one if you want try it - Xi 3 is out now - but I'm not ready to change. Had a z axis - didn't do it for me, more feel in the Xi2

Maybe a Orvis Helios or T3, both fantastic rods - I have a T3 if you want to fling something as a try - Orvis has the best warranty in the business BTW.

Scott - I fished with a S4 for a while - sold it and went back to my Sage. Not a bad rod - some love it.

Then you have Winston, loomis , St croix and a host of others - my advice? try before you buy.

If you plan to fish salt as you say - you need to think a little harder about your purchase - I would rather fish fresh with a salty rod than the other way around.....Titanium snakes are the way I go, as a minimum standard in salt.

Kudu
12-03-2009, 06:11 PM
If you are thinking of going switch rod - then there is only one real course you should be sailing - 11 foot 1 inch of muscle - the switch rod that every switch caster dreams of, CND - Oceana series . http://www.cndspeyusa.com/root/cnd_brochure.pdf

I have fished it across the world and nailed the most amazing fish you will ever come across with it.

I have used both Air Flop lines ( depth finder) and Rio out bounds with exceptional results .

Again if you would like to try one - feel free - I have my little beast- tucked up, and ready to play - at a moments notice..........

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/Island2006.jpg

BTW - Not to sound toooo biased - Mr Meiser build's a bloody nice rod as well - I have fished his S2H11089-4 http://www.meiserflyrods.com/switch-rods-p7.php (I should still have one around here somewhere) Bob Meiser was the inventor of switch rods by the way - and he builds a bloody marvelous product.

GoatGuy
12-03-2009, 06:27 PM
The dragonfly just fits how I like to cast tips. Singlehand snap-t's and simple c-speys. It really is just a broomstick unless you know what it needs. I wouldn't reccomend it.

hahahahah, a fish expert using a dragonfly. How do the boys up the bulkley like that thing? hahahahaha

THE SWEDE
12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
A pleasant problem facing you ...

Try a Sage Xi2 - I have one if you want try it - Xi 3 is out now - but I'm not ready to change. Had a z axis - didn't do it for me, more feel in the Xi2

Maybe a Orvis Helios or T3, both fantastic rods - I have a T3 if you want to fling something as a try - Orvis has the best warranty in the business BTW.

Scott - I fished with a S4 for a while - sold it and went back to my Sage. Not a bad rod - some love it.

Then you have Winston, loomis , St croix and a host of others - my advice? try before you buy.

If you plan to fish salt as you say - you need to think a little harder about your purchase - I would rather fish fresh with a salty rod than the other way around.....Titanium snakes are the way I go, as a minimum standard in salt.

Im curious to try thre new "99" Series from sage

PGK
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
hahahahah, a fish expert using a dragonfly. How do the boys up the bulkley like that thing? hahahahaha

They kinda go 'holy shit who is this kid making 80 foot singlehand speys with a $250 setup??'

One day I won't be poor :mrgreen:

THE SWEDE
12-03-2009, 06:38 PM
They kinda go 'holy shit who is this kid making 80 foot singlehand speys with a $250 setup??'

I call B.S..You couldnt make a 50 foot spey cast with a spey rod:wink:

Kudu
12-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Im curious to try thre new "99" Series from sage

Looks interesting - I wonder how it differs from the Z axis?

http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=299013

PGK
12-03-2009, 06:48 PM
They're designed with the new czech-style craze in mind. Everyone has jumped on the high-stick, light weight rod bandwagon and the folks at Sage aren't stupid. A long, lightweight stick will sell well all over the place given the current trends. I think they should have made one in a 3wt though!

I'd be interested in fishing one just to see if their claim about loading lower on the blank and a stiffer tip section holds up. With everyone gravitating to fast actions and snap-tips, a load lower in the blank with a stiffer tip while maintaining a 'fast' action could really be something to work with.

GoatGuy
12-03-2009, 06:51 PM

You must have dreamed that up.

ruger#1
12-03-2009, 06:54 PM

One day I won't be poor :mrgreen: Ha HA , Another fish story.

Salty
12-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Back to Kudu- thanks for the offer to try various rods out unfortunately I'm about a 4 hour trip to the first Nanaimo ferry so,

Great ideas so far guys, my head's swimming here. In a good way . ..

MikeH
12-03-2009, 06:55 PM
I have a 9' 9# sage can't until after hunting season to hit some steelehead.

Kudu
12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Back to Kudu- thanks for the offer to try various rods out unfortunately I'm about a 4 hour trip to the first Nanaimo ferry so,

Great ideas so far guys, my head's swimming here. In a good way . ..

no worries chap - if you find yourself on the mainland - send me a pm and I would be more than happy to allow a test drive or two.

PGK
12-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I got skunked damn you all :lol: But I looked good doing it :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
If you buy a sage, get an extra one for backup.

GoatGuy
12-03-2009, 07:00 PM
I got skunked damn you all :lol: But I looked good doing it :mrgreen:

90% of the time casting, 10% of the time fishing.

ruger#1
12-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I bought a Reddington 8wt and a Orvis Rocky Mountain large arbor cassete reel for $220. and it came with two line. I like it.

troutseeker
12-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I'd suggest getting an Amundson rod. The Wind Warrior series is extremely good value for a rod that performs like the ones costing 3 times as much. I currently own three myself, won the first one in a draw and liked it so much I got a couple of others. I also have a Trout Spey and a Midge rod coming from Amundson.

I've fished all the big names and can't honestly say the are better than what I use now.

check it out at: www.amundson.ca/

PGK
12-03-2009, 07:05 PM
90% of the time casting, 10% of the time fishing.

That's the beauty of spey. No false casting. Flip-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip-rocknroll.

GoatGuy
12-03-2009, 07:06 PM
That's the beauty of spey. No false casting. Flip-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip-rocknroll.

thought you looked good doing it?

Just airing your fly?

ruger#1
12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
That's the beauty of spey. No false casting. Flip-riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip-rocknroll. Looks easy with no line.:mrgreen:

Salty
12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I'd suggest getting an Amundson rod. The Wind Warrior series is extremely good value for a rod that performs like the ones costing 3 times as much. I currently own three myself, won the first one in a draw and liked it so much I got a couple of others. I also have a Trout Spey and a Midge rod coming from Amundson.

I've fished all the big names and can't honestly say the are better than what I use now.

check it out at: www.amundson.ca/ (http://www.amundson.ca/)

These guys are definitely on my radar. I gave a few rods a wiggle at whoresale sports in nanaimo a couple months ago. There was an amundson 5wt that spoke to me :cool:

PGK
12-03-2009, 07:31 PM
thought you looked good doing it?

Just airing your fly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swr8ZB1Sps0

Does it make sense now, my pink fingered friend :lol:

troutseeker
12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
The Amundson warranty is one of the best out there. Since the warehouse is in the Lower Mainland, warranty replacememts are very quick. If anyone has warranty issues with them shoot me a pm, I've got an in with one of their top guys.

The 5 weight you tried, was that the 10 foot Wind Warrior? I have one and it is a pleasure to cast and great for chironomid fishing!

Johnnybear
12-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Good comment for fly fishing recruitment GG:confused:. This is the kind of crap that scares folks out of the sport. PGK obviously does fine with his set up and has no qualms about it and that my friend is what it is all about:wink:. It's not what you use............it's how you use it:idea:.

GoatGuy
12-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Good comment for fly fishing recruitment GG:confused:. This is the kind of crap that scares folks out of the sport. PGK obviously does fine with his set up and has no qualms about it and that my friend is what it is all about:wink:. It's not what you use............it's how you use it:idea:.

I'm just giving him a hard time, don't worry.:wink:

If it was anybody else I wouldn't say a word.

GoatGuy
12-03-2009, 11:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swr8ZB1Sps0

Does it make sense now, my pink fingered friend :lol:

Is that how it works? Do you use a doc spratley for steelhead?

Johnnybear
12-03-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm just giving him a hard time, don't worry.:wink:

If it was anybody else I wouldn't say a word.

I am still worried. I am and always will be thinking about all the new flyfishers on this site and many of the viewers etc. I wouldn't have given him a hard time about his equipment in any case:???:. It's comments like yours and others that scare folks out of the sport of fly fishing. I have seen kid's casting Canuck tire "garbage" as you are indicating better than seasoned veterans on local lakes etc. What's the difference you may ask? They have a driving desire to better themselves without the financial means to do so. THEY JUST WANT TO CATCH FISH. Is it that hard to understand. You can have all the best equipment out there but if you don't understand what's going on you won't catch squat.

I have seen kid's on Westwood Lake here in Nanaimo that present a dry fly so beautifully with maybe two to three back casts that would blow your mind. It's all about presentation not the cast or the equipment. Let's get this "garbage" out of everyones head. Good equipment is nice and if it makes you feel good then great but it is not necessary.

Sorry to hijack your thread Salty. Stuff like this burns my *ss.

GoatGuy
12-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I am still worried. I am and always will be thinking about all the new flyfishers on this site and many of the viewers etc. I wouldn't have given him a hard time about his equipment in any case:???:. It's comments like yours and others that scare folks out of the sport of fly fishing. I have seen kid's casting Canuck tire "garbage" as you are indicating better than seasoned veterans on local lakes etc. What's the difference you may ask? They have a driving desire to better themselves without the financial means to do so. THEY JUST WANT TO CATCH FISH. Is it that hard to understand. You can have all the best equipment out there but if you don't understand what's going on you won't catch squat.

I have seen kid's on Westwood Lake here in Nanaimo that present a dry fly so beautifully with maybe two to three back casts that would blow your mind. It's all about presentation not the cast or the equipment. Let's get this "garbage" out of everyones head. Good equipment is nice and if it makes you feel good then great but it is not necessary.

Like I said, I'm not arguing with you at all. Being an expert and fishing ethictician (it's a new word), PGK is special to me!

I agree with you on the mentality. I fish with a couple of those folks - some of them get it some of them don't. It's the same program as hunters with bows, road closures, point restrictions, you name it.

Johnnybear
12-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Like I said, I'm not arguing with you at all. Being an expert and fishing ethictician (it's a new word), PGK is special to me!

I agree with you on the mentality. I fish with a couple of those folks - some of them get it some of them don't. It's the same program as hunters with bows, road closures, point restrictions, you name it.

I hear what your saying and he get's under my skin too but we're talking about presenting a bait to a fish with some equipment that needs little technology really. I still have my old glass rod that was handed down to me with some kind of reel on it that I don't even know the brand. I just load it up with some half decent line and go fishing. I can present a fly with that set up just fine and catch fish to boot:-D.

Salty I just talked to a guide friend of mine who fishes steelhead in the winters and he says he just takes his Coho set up off the boat and uses it. It's not a spey cast outfit. It's an 8 weight rod of the "Dragonfly" brand. Say's it's a real experience!!!!!

GoatGuy
12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
I hear what your saying and he get's under my skin too but we're talking about presenting a bait to a fish with some equipment that needs little technology really. I still have my old glass rod that was handed down to me with some kind of reel on it that I don't even know the brand. I just load it up with some half decent line and go fishing. I can present a fly with that set up just fine and catch fish to boot:-D.

Truth be told I have a 6 wt dragonfly that I've had for years. It's my backup, backup rod in case one of my sages break, which seems to happen regularly. Mostly I just use it as my loaner for newbies - low and behold somebody broke the tip off of it and it hasn't been fixed yet.

Something on the to do list.

Johnnybear
12-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Truth be told I have a 6 wt dragonfly that I've had for years. It's my backup, backup rod in case one of my sages break, which seems to happen regularly. Mostly I just use it as my loaner for newbies - low and behold somebody broke the tip off of it and it hasn't been fixed yet.

Something on the to do list.

Sorry to hear about your over priced rod's breaking frequently GG. I really feel for ya:tongue:. This is a great post IMO. I'm glad that you have a back up system as most folks don't as they just go fishing with your back up!

Here's a little clip about where I'm coming from and it makes sense with alot of fishers I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94OoSksenEE

These words spoken in this clip are my feeling exactly about flyfishing today. It is just another means to present a bait to a fish. It is no better than any other artificial method period.

Again Salty I'm sorry if I hijacked your thread but I think you are the kind of guy that can relate to this message I'm trying to get across. It's all about the fishing.

huntwriter
12-04-2009, 01:37 AM
It is just another means to present a bait to a fish. It is no better than any other artificial method period.

Spoken like a true gentleman. It really doesn't matter what method is used. What matters is to have fun and catch fish.

My friend and I often fish together. He a dedicated fly fisherman me a passionate bait and spin reel caster using nothing but artificial lures and spoons. He loves salmon. I love trout and bigmouth bass. Actually convinced him to catch bass with fly fishing gear. We never argue about something as trivial as gear and methods, or who's a more skilled angler. We just have fun and catch fish together. Would it not be nice if everybody could be like that?

As for PGK...Well he is a young kid...What else is there to say. :)

Johnnybear
12-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Spoken like a true gentleman. It really doesn't matter what method is used. What matters is to have fun and catch fish.

My friend and I often fish together. He a dedicated fly fisherman me a passionate bait and spin reel caster using nothing but artificial lures and spoons. He loves salmon. I love trout and bigmouth bass. Actually convinced him to catch bass with fly fishing gear. We never argue about something as trivial as gear and methods, or who's a more skilled angler. We just have fun and catch fish together. Would it not be nice if everybody could be like that?

As for PGK...Well he is a young kid...What else is there to say. :)

Thank you Hw.

I'm glad to see that you and your fishing buddy can fish along side each other regardless of the method that is great.

The comments about PGK I don't understand as all he did was say what equipment he used in this thread:-?. I know where you and GG are coming from regards to PGK but I still don't get it with this thread. Let's stay on topic folks.

It's not what you use ...............it's how you use it. You can have a 2 grand set up or you can have a 2 hundred dollar set up. It's the operator that matters and the presentation that matters. Casting is over hyped to the extreme in fly fishing IMO. I won't rant any more (unless............).

Kudu
12-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Thank you Hw.

I'm glad to see that you and your fishing buddy can fish along side each other regardless of the method that is great.

The comments about PGK I don't understand as all he did was say what equipment he used in this thread:-?. I know where you and GG are coming from regards to PGK but I still don't get it with this thread. Let's stay on topic folks.

It's not what you use ...............it's how you use it. You can have a 2 grand set up or you can have a 2 hundred dollar set up. It's the operator that matters and the presentation that matters. Casting is over hyped to the extreme in fly fishing IMO. I won't rant any more (unless............).

Fly rods and money? does a flash rod make you better fisherman? does a single malt taste better than a blend? one costs a hell of a lot more than the other - if drunken and not savored both have the same net result......

No a flash rod does not make you a better fisherman, what makes you a better caster is the feel in the rod, what gives you better presentation is the finesse in which yo can land a size 16 adams in a 15 mile an hour wind, what catches more fish is how you mend the leeder as you drift the nymph through the cut - that is what catches fish.

However, when standing on a wind swept beach - with white rollers thundering into the shelving shore line - your intimidation levels rise with each passing of the clouser minnow as it swishes past your right ear hole, while you desperately double haul - to get the extra distance to land your fly in amongst the seagulls and terns diving into the mess of a shredded bait ball after the stripahs have passed.

This my friend is when you need to be fishing 11 foot and 1 inch of pure adrenalin, money doesn't seem to matter at that point strangely enough.

What value do you put on a 40 inch bar of burnished silver? how much money would you spend for a group of young blond Swedish masseurs to fix your shoulder after casting three days in a row in those conditions - suddenly my 600 buck switch rod is awfully cheap even at twice the price.....

Salty
12-04-2009, 10:28 AM
A word on the almighty Dragonfly rod. About 15 yrs ago I bought my first fly rod, a Dragonfly pkg, 8/9wt with the coveted Dragonfly reel. I bought it for the elbow to elbow big Q coho fishery and used it for a couple months where I perfected the mighty 30 foot roll cast to the other shore. Then I moved up here and went nuts on salt water fishing and I've hardly picked the thing up. Nothing overly bad to say about it actually. I'm no fan of the reel. And the rod is a heavy bugger and the noodle like action has been left in the dust for what's out there now. My second rod, bought in Sept is only a 100 dollar rod (TFO) and it is waaaaaay nicer than the old noodle.

So where does that put me? Lower end snobbish? lol :mrgreen: I normally fish alone but had some great trips this fall with my buddy. He uses too big of a spinning rod with mono that can be seen from space and chucks gear and soaks bait. He razzes me about being a fly snob, I call him an inbred hillbilly bottom fisher, we both catch fish, its all good. Actually though he seems interested in getting a fly rod now too. :-?

So back to the 8 wt (highjacks are encouraged here btw) I'm liking the amundson windwarrier, sage launch, st croix whatzit and a few others. still deciding. ..

GoatGuy
12-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Fly rods and money? does a flash rod make you better fisherman? does a single malt taste better than a blend? one costs a hell of a lot more than the other - if drunken and not savored both have the same net result......

No a flash rod does not make you a better fisherman, what makes you a better caster is the feel in the rod, what gives you better presentation is the finesse in which yo can land a size 16 adams in a 15 mile an hour wind, what catches more fish is how you mend the leeder as you drift the nymph through the cut - that is what catches fish.

However, when standing on a wind swept beach - with white rollers thundering into the shelving shore line - your intimidation levels rise with each passing of the clouser minnow as it swishes past your right ear hole, while you desperately double haul - to get the extra distance to land your fly in amongst the seagulls and terns diving into the mess of a shredded bait ball after the stripahs have passed.

This my friend is when you need to be fishing 11 foot and 1 inch of pure adrenalin, money doesn't seem to matter at that point strangely enough.

What value do you put on a 40 inch bar of burnished silver? how much money would you spend for a group of young blond Swedish masseurs to fix your shoulder after casting three days in a row in those conditions - suddenly my 600 buck switch rod is awfully cheap even at twice the price.....

This is true what you say. I spent one day hucking into the wind on the chuck last month and my shoulder was sore by the end of it, lol.

I think Johnnybear's point is any rod will work and it's most important that people are out fishing and he's right.

12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
So Salty have you got your rod picked yet :)
spend as much as you want get a rod that feels good.
i have fly fished for almost 20 years i started with a 50$ rod
i now have a 1200$ set up. i say this only to impress the fact that we as flyfishers can be rediculose in rod purchase. Buy an affordable 8wt and see if you use it enough to justify more money. But look out i have spent a small fortune on my rod selection i have one for everything they are all good rods.
but it all started with a 50$ berkley

Salty
12-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Still searching bud. A lot of the suggested rods are 9 footers. Somehow I've got it in my head that I want a 10 footer at least and to have switch cast potential. Most of the streams around here have zero backcast room so. ..

frenchbar
12-04-2009, 11:23 AM
I had the kamloops series dragonfly 8 wt 10 ft ..used it for steelhead fishin ..wasnt a bad rod..didnt use it much and sold it and bought a scope for one of the kids rifles.

12-04-2009, 11:24 AM
you can learn to deal a bit wit the backcast isseus. I use a 9'0 8wt. The spey thing can be a bit tricky but definatly the way to go.
but as i remember arent you just starting out? if so i would just get a simple rod to perfect one style befor moving to the next.

Salty
12-04-2009, 11:30 AM
you can learn to deal a bit wit the backcast isseus. I use a 9'0 8wt. The spey thing can be a bit tricky but definatly the way to go.
but as i remember arent you just starting out? if so i would just get a simple rod to perfect one style befor moving to the next.

Probably sound advice. But I am a man of the new millenium. I want it all. NOW!!! lol :mrgreen:

I've got about 20 days in with the TFO 5 wt and am to the point where I'm reasonabley happy with my casts say 7 out of 10. I like the ground between one handed and spey, where obviously you can still backcast one handed with such a rig. .. I dunno. ..

this is worse than deciding on a rifle. lol.

12-04-2009, 11:39 AM
i am not into spey but most of the spey rods i've seen start at 12'.
might be a bit of a pain to 1 hand. The line is built different as well, how i dont know. i dont do it.
So i see alot of good reasons to spey casting but at that level of cast i think you need to go "all in" the rod becoms critical IMO.
where as a st croix 8wt you can get better at casting a bigger rod and line.
do you know any spey guys? maby you could try it

Salty
12-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Its this "switch cast" thing that interests me. Not much more than a big roll cast, described here

http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/putnam_switch_snapt.aspx

Done with a one hand rod, a little longer than conventional rod but much smaller than a two hand spey rod. Rods advertised as 'switch' rods in 8 wt seem to be 10-11 footers. ..

PGK
12-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Haha, not much more than a roll cast :lol: Looks easy, and it is easy once you get it figured out. But it is not easy. Spey will boggle your mind. I stopped trying to learn 'proper' spey casting, and just learned how to move line better based on the sustained anchor, d loop style of casting. "Switch" rods are typically in the 10'6'' to 12'' range and are usually 4-5-6-7 weights. As soon as you move up into the 8wt 12'6'' zone, you're essentially in true skagit-style spey rods. Keep in mind though that an 11'6'' 6wt spey will probably have as much fighting power as a single hander 8wt, and you'll be able to keep your line in the water for longer, and your arm is going to be less sore.

As for tred barta, he is a moron. Always has been, always will be. If flyfishing didn't take inherently more skill and wasn't more enjoyable than having borax fingers all day, why are there so many rookies asking questions about fly setups? Fly is better, and more fun. The problem comes in personal discrimination against other methods.

12-04-2009, 12:08 PM
huh i'll have to look at it when i get home..........
im bad im at work and my computer wont run video.
This must be a new thing i dont keep up with what is going on any more.
but i bet a switch rod isnt much more than an equivilent 8wt.
maby i should lift my head up from the bench once in a while :)

PGK
12-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Switch rods are usually used for trout on big rivers, where you need a little extra jam, or you're going to fish tips and streamers all day. Personally, I don't see any need for one. 3wt/5wt/8wt and for spey a 13' 8/9 is all I would ever need. But I need to get my hands on Amundson's new trout spey, an 11'3'' 3wt 2 hander :eek:

12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
how many ways fly fishing is like golf. ya cant get away with just a 7iron.
what if its windy, what if its not, what if its a river, what if its not.

good thing my wife fly fishes and urderstands my plight.

Salty
12-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Any experience/comments on the snowbee diamond 7-8wt 10ft?

Salty
12-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Switch rods are usually used for trout on big rivers, where you need a little extra jam, or you're going to fish tips and streamers all day. Personally, I don't see any need for one. 3wt/5wt/8wt and for spey a 13' 8/9 is all I would ever need. But I need to get my hands on Amundson's new trout spey, an 11'3'' 3wt 2 hander :eek:

I am sorry for your inner termoil. lol

And ya, I'm well aware that a switch cast is far easier said than done :icon_frow

PGK
12-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Try not to think of it as 'switch casting.' It's the rod that's a switch, so-called because you can 'switch' between overhand and spey style casting. Some even have removable butts so you can use the bottom handle or not if you so choose. The casts are still 'spey' whether you do them with a single, switch, or spey rod. Snap-t, like in the vid, is the easiest to learn but they're all based off that sustained anchor, d loop (glorified rollcast) style of casting.

Salty
12-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the clearing up the terminology there K.

And thanks all for the ideas here everyone. I almost went with a St Croix imperial - awsome price, good reviews. The launch was intriguing too. But talking to Courteny at his Nile creek shop where I bought the reel I've gone with a Snowbee rod as well. He's having a 35% off sale on most stuff next week only, then he's closed till February and he offered me the sale prices early which helped the cause. ..

Anyway, the rod is a Snowbee Diamond 7-8wt. A 10 footer

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/_webedit/cached-images/28-270-260-0-0-270-260
second one down in the link http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/fly-rods/

And the reel as I've said is a Snowbee XSD 780 with 5 casettes
http://www.snowbee.co.uk/_webedit/cached-images/264-270-400-0-0-270-400
second from bottom on the link http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/fly-reels/

I also got him to back a spool and load it up with Buelah Elixir spey style line :mrgreen:
http://www.beulahflyrods.com/images/elixir_graph-large.gif
http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products/flylines/elixir.php

Looking forward to this. :-D I must not have had enough frustration in my life and now I can try to learn a bit of single hand spey stuff. :-? Plus it will clearly be very good at good old fashioned overhead casts. And I've got 4 spare spools to play with. ..

ruger#1
12-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Nice set up there salty. You will be happy with that. The St Croix imperial I wouldnt of bought either , it would of bought the St Croix legend , I have two legends in 3wt and an ultra legend in 5wt. My 8wt is a Redington Rs3 9FT . Love them all. Can you give us a review on the snowbee please and thank you when you have the time.

Salty
12-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Nice set up there salty. You will be happy with that. The St Croix imperial I wouldnt of bought either , it would of bought the St Croix legend , I have two legends in 3wt and an ultra legend in 5wt. My 8wt is a Redington Rs3 9FT . Love them all. Can you give us a review on the snowbee please and thank you when you have the time.

Thanks ruger. Sure I'll do a 'from a rookie's perspective' review when it gets here and after I get used to it a bit. Ya the Snowbee stuff is kind of new to NA and isn't that common but apparantly that's starting to change. Nile Creek Fly Shop is the only BC dealer I've come across. They're huge in the UK and Auz and NZ tho. ..

Salty
12-05-2009, 03:52 PM
By the way, retail on the rod is about 280, reel about 220, line 80, backing 20, couple leaders about 15 each. With the sale everything shipped came in right around 450. ..

Hydrojet
12-05-2009, 04:04 PM
good buy salty...should be a nice set up....the nice part about having a switch is with that but section and doind two handed casts....wayyyy easier and less energy consuming....you can flip any thing on any tip all day long....though the blond swedish massueses would still be recommended, just because!

Salty
12-05-2009, 05:20 PM
good buy salty...should be a nice set up....the nice part about having a switch is with that but section and doind two handed casts....wayyyy easier and less energy consuming....you can flip any thing on any tip all day long....though the blond swedish massueses would still be recommended, just because!

I like the way you think :mrgreen:

Salty
12-06-2009, 12:14 PM
So is anyone seeing any steelhead in our rivers yet? Any go to flys for them? Gett'n antsy;

Salty

THE SWEDE
12-06-2009, 01:32 PM
So is anyone seeing any steelhead in our rivers yet? Any go to flys for them? Gett'n antsy;

Salty

The Stamp should be seeing fish.As for flies.I like Intruders, Strip/Bunny Leeches, Popsicles and General Practioners for winter fish.What are you doing for sink tips?

Salty
12-06-2009, 01:36 PM
He's sending me an intermediate and a fast sink tip, 10 fters, poly. I'll put 5 feet or so of tippet on that and give it a try. I can fish floaters with this line so that's kind of cool. I'll try that at some point for giggles. ..

THE SWEDE
12-06-2009, 01:38 PM
He's sending me an intermediate and a fast sink tip, 10 fters, poly. I'll put 5 feet or so of tippet on that and give it a try. I can fish floaters with this line so that's kind of cool. I'll try that at some point for giggles. ..
Looks like your ready to go.Just need some flies

Salty
12-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Ya I need flys. I've got some egg sucking leeches, some clousers that may work, that's about it.

I've hung my head over a couple of bridges up here; the Clux, Quatse etc. I think its a bit early yet. Man the flows are gorgeous right now though, about a week of cold clear weather has them clean as a whistle. I would like to see some steady moderate rain show up here pdq and i think fish will be comming in big time

frenchbar
12-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Big green marabou woolly buggers with a heavy bead as a head work good on the steel ..easy to tye as well.

hoyt
12-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Much good advice here, i use Loomis, they are great and you can buy the starter rods, they work great and won't break the bank. Once you feel them and the way they cast, down the road you will go for the GLX series, i fish the Skeena and tribs with my GLX FR1208 its a 8 weight, 10' and i will never go to another brand.
I have broke them as well, we all will, the warranty is fast, and no hassle either.
Just my two cents!

suskwa
12-06-2009, 04:45 PM
posted by PJK Quote: "I find when you step up to the heavier weight rods, especially throwing tips like you will be for winter steel, your casting stroke matters a lot. Slow, med, fast? I like a medium. 70-80 foot snap-t singlehand speys with my 9'0'' 8wt Kamloops Dragonfly and 10' of t-10 is a breeze. Other people find it clunky and difficult to throw. Depends on your casting stroke " i would like to watch that cast!!!! cheers

Salty
12-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Any fans of worm patterns for winter fishing ?

http://www.americanflyfishing.com/assets/product_images/large/14717i_400.jpg

THE SWEDE
12-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Steelhead no.Trout yes

ruger#1
12-06-2009, 06:38 PM

You will notice this guy at the sportsman show at tradex, He will be the one with hook scares and the fly line wraped around his head.

Salty
12-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Steelhead no.Trout yes

Trout eh, interesting. I watched a vid of a guy taking a nice summer run mainland side with a worm pattern. But that's a sample of one obviously. And summer conditions.

ruger#1
12-06-2009, 06:45 PM
In october i was watching the trout bumping the sockeye in the Okanogan river. Lots of nice sized trout. Do steelhead go up there, I know the Kokanee do.

WaterSkeeter
12-06-2009, 07:29 PM
You will notice this guy at the sportsman show at tradex, He will be the one with hook scares and the fly line wraped around his head.

lmao.................

WaterSkeeter
12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Ya I need flys. I've got some egg sucking leeches, some clousers that may work, that's about it.

I've hung my head over a couple of bridges up here; the Clux, Quatse etc. I think its a bit early yet. Man the flows are gorgeous right now though, about a week of cold clear weather has them clean as a whistle. I would like to see some steady moderate rain show up here pdq and i think fish will be comming in big time

Tye some popsicles/bunny leaches on tubes. They are deadly.

Salty
12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Tye some popsicles/bunny leaches on tubes. They are deadly.

I'll get right on that. If I start tying. lol

With help here and other research there's a familiar patern. Doah! popsicles and bunny leaches sound like must haves

WaterSkeeter
12-06-2009, 08:49 PM
I'll get right on that. If I start tying. lol

With help here and other research there's a familiar patern. Doah! popsicles and bunny leaches sound like must haves

Oh you MUST have them, in various colors lol.

When tying tube flys, I was shown a cheaper way to make them, instead of buying tubes, buy the "life" brand Q-tips, cut to the length you want, use a lighter and very carefully roll the piece of Q-tip and make a lip on the end of the piece of Q tip, then you have a tube! I have used that method for years and the tubes have never failed.

Salty
12-06-2009, 09:03 PM

When tying tube flys, I was shown a cheaper way to make them, instead of buying tubes, buy the "life" brand Q-tips, cut to the length you want, use a lighter and very carefully roll the piece of Q-tip and make a lip on the end of the piece of Q tip, then you have a tube! I have used that method for years and the tubes have never failed.

lol. That sounds like my kind of tying. I've made home made spinners, baits, hali rigs and stuff for years. Guess I'll probably end up tying flys at some point now too :rolleyes:

WaterSkeeter
12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
lol. That sounds like my kind of tying. I've made home made spinners, baits, hali rigs and stuff for years. Guess I'll probably end up tying flys at some point now too :rolleyes:

lol, If it works just as well and saves me money, then it works for me, I try and pass info liek that along.

THE SWEDE
12-06-2009, 09:46 PM

Ive played around with the QTip idea.I found when the weather gets cold they crack.For the few bucks it cost buy the real stuff.You investing time and materials into the fly.Why cheap out on a inferior product

WaterSkeeter
12-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Ive played around with the QTip idea.I found when the weather gets cold they crack.For the few bucks it cost buy the real stuff.You investing time and materials into the fly.Why cheap out on a inferior product

I personally have not had any problems with them yet. Until I do then ill keep using them.

THE SWEDE
12-06-2009, 10:09 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/MMayan/PC060590.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/MMayan/PC060589.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/MMayan/PC060588.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/MMayan/PC060587.jpg

Salty
12-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I just sprang a woody

WaterSkeeter
12-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I just sprang a woody

why? I never posted pictures of mine yet? lol jk.

Ill post some pictures of mine tonight or tomorrow.

Salty
12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
tonight would be better

THE SWEDE
12-07-2009, 04:42 PM
why? I never posted pictures of mine yet? lol jk.

Ill post some pictures of mine tonight or tomorrow.

Last night came and went.Its now tommorow.Post em up

Salty
12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
'Skeeter you don't have to get all PGK with the artistic arrangement just show us the flies already :mrgreen:

WaterSkeeter
12-07-2009, 06:00 PM
'Skeeter you don't have to get all PGK with the artistic arrangement just show us the flies already :mrgreen:

lmao, dont worry I dont think im gods greatest creation so you cant compare me to PGK lol.

Ill post them in a bit here, im stuck watching the little one tonight and with her teething shes not a happy camper. But there will be pictures in a little bit here.

ruger#1
12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Those are some nice flies there Swede. Now if only Skeeter would post some so i could say that to him. Im sure they will be great also.

WaterSkeeter
12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm having a hard time taking pictures of the flys, not sure why, I'm not the greatest with the camera.
But here is a few that I have recently tied up and also my new dragon,damsel,scud etc box that I have been working on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF2993.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF2995.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF2997.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF2998.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF3001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF3005.jpg

ruger#1
12-07-2009, 07:35 PM
That third fly would be great for cutties.

WaterSkeeter
12-07-2009, 07:39 PM
That third fly would be great for cutties.

its deadly

Salty
12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
nice. what are the bulky flies at the bottom in the group photo?

WaterSkeeter
12-07-2009, 07:51 PM
nice. what are the bulky flies at the bottom in the group photo?

Gomphus bugs (dragon fly nymphs)

THE SWEDE
12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Nice skeeter.Really like you mayfly emeger.I'll take a dozen in size 14:)

WaterSkeeter
12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Nice skeeter.Really like you mayfly emeger.I'll take a dozen in size 14:)

that fly is killer! takes a little time to tie but they are also more durable then one would think.

Salty
12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
So my reel came in the mail today. The rod and other stuff should be here in a few days. Plus some wack job on the internet is sending me steelhead flys. :shock: Life is good. :cool:

THE SWEDE
12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
So my reel came in the mail today. The rod and other stuff should be here in a few days. Plus some wack job on the internet is sending me steelhead flys. :shock: Life is good. :cool:

LOL You'll see em by the end of the week I imagine

frenchbar
12-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Sweet looking flys W.S. The dragons look deadly as do the gomphus!

Johnnybear
12-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Sounds like life is good Salty. Congrats on your new set up. I have never heard of that line of gear before. Thanks for posting the link and the photos. Looks like a really nice set up. Hope you have fun with it. The Adam and Eve Junction Pool and the Nahwitti are the only rivers I have ever fished on the North Island. Both hold steelhead. Hope you do well this winter and I look forward to seeing some photos (fish or fishless):-D.

Cheers
Jb

Oh ya those are really nice looking fly's you guys tied up:cool:. I don't seem to have the knack for it:redface:. My son is starting to take interest in it.

Salty
12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
LOL You'll see em by the end of the week I imagine

muchas gracias :mrgreen:

Salty
12-07-2009, 09:36 PM
. The Adam and Eve Junction Pool and the Nahwitti are the only rivers I have ever fished on the North Island. Both hold steelhead. Hope you do well this winter and I look forward to seeing some photos (fish or fishless):-D.

Cheers
Jb

Two famous spots, haven't fished either. What the hell. lol. But there's so much choice up here. Actually I've got my eye on some smaller remote west coast streams that I've been google earthing and jonesing over. I'll probably get to the Nahwitti too later. ..

Johnnybear
12-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Two famous spots, haven't fished either. What the hell. lol. But there's so much choice up here. Actually I've got my eye on some smaller remote west coast streams that I've been google earthing and jonesing over. I'll probably get to the Nahwitti too later. ..

That's the spirit:wink:. Adventure always leads to the fish (and it's fun as hell to boot):mrgreen:.

Salty
12-07-2009, 10:04 PM
That's the spirit:wink:. Adventure always leads to the fish (and it's fun as hell to boot):mrgreen:.

Stay tuned for pics of my failure :razz:

Johnnybear
12-07-2009, 10:24 PM

Hey I never said I caught fish in those rivers:lol:.

Have fun and take lots of pictures fella. It's all about the experience anyways. Fish are a bonus however!

Some of my best photo chances were fishing rivers and I never had a camera with me. I fished that Adam and Eve junction pool one morning many moons ago. I heard some rocks rolling up river and looked in that direction to see a whole herd of Elk crossing the river right before my eyes with a couple of huge bulls in the lead. The cold air mist was coming off the river and it was just light out and would have made a world class photo:-|.

WaterSkeeter
12-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Sweet looking flys W.S. The dragons look deadly as do the gomphus!

some of those dragons take a little time, mainly the weaved body ones as I have to make sure the bodys are properly proportioned and the weaving's done evenly.

WaterSkeeter
12-08-2009, 12:33 AM

Hey man, getting out is fun its self.

Kudu
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the clearing up the terminology there K.

And thanks all for the ideas here everyone. I almost went with a St Croix imperial - awsome price, good reviews. The launch was intriguing too. But talking to Courteny at his Nile creek shop where I bought the reel I've gone with a Snowbee rod as well. He's having a 35% off sale on most stuff next week only, then he's closed till February and he offered me the sale prices early which helped the cause. ..

Anyway, the rod is a Snowbee Diamond 7-8wt. A 10 footer

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/_webedit/cached-images/28-270-260-0-0-270-260
second one down in the link http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/fly-rods/

And the reel as I've said is a Snowbee XSD 780 with 5 casettes
http://www.snowbee.co.uk/_webedit/cached-images/264-270-400-0-0-270-400
second from bottom on the link http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/fly-reels/

I also got him to back a spool and load it up with Buelah Elixir spey style line :mrgreen:
http://www.beulahflyrods.com/images/elixir_graph-large.gif
http://www.beulahflyrods.com/products/flylines/elixir.php

Looking forward to this. :-D I must not have had enough frustration in my life and now I can try to learn a bit of single hand spey stuff. :-? Plus it will clearly be very good at good old fashioned overhead casts. And I've got 4 spare spools to play with. ..

Nice combo there Salty, Snowbee make good stuff, I fished a lot of Snowbee kit when I lived in the UK, their floating lines in eight weight - fly, and have no memory, their intermediates fish great as well.

Nothing wrong with their reels - I have taken a few sea bass on snowbee reels - and their rods work great as well - I fished the salt water range for a while - deep blue, I think they were called - anyhow good rods.

Good allround choice I have to say, have a ton of fun fishing it.

Salty
12-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Cheers Kudu. I think I need to get a bowler hat and a thick tweed coat. A Sherlock Holmes pipe and a wee dram in the inner pocket. lol :-P

THE SWEDE
12-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Cheers Kudu. I think I need to get a bowler hat and a thick tweed coat. A Sherlock Holmes pipe and a wee dram in the inner pocket. lol :-P

Bangers and Mash:-D

Salty
12-12-2009, 02:31 PM
The post man showed up :-D

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Salty303/rod1.jpg

So this pic shows the line system. Running line portion of the Elixir spey style line comming off of the reel (green) changing just ahead of that with a factory taper to the ~30ft much heavier portion of the line (yellow). Then a 10 ft poly tip fast sink leader (grey, hanging off of reel) then a clear tippet, hanging off of the screw in the post.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Salty303/rod2.jpg

But wait! It gets better :mrgreen:

Internet Icon THE SWEDE sent me a dozen and a half steelhead flys. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Look at these bad boys. The light/picture don't do these justice they look 10 times nicer in person, this boy can tie :shock:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Salty303/rod3.jpg

I almost ate one of those prawns. lol. I've never really fished steelhead but as you know that will change soon. Frick'n trip to the city this weekend, but hopefully late next week I'll find a flow. I think I'll try a popsicle first. :cool:

12-12-2009, 03:10 PM
to think just the other month you got your first trout rod......
you are doomed!!!

GoatGuy
12-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Now you owe the swede, huge mistake.

Salty
12-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Now you owe the swede, huge mistake.

I'm just as happy as if I was in my right mind :???:

THE SWEDE
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I would have done it for anyone starting out.No strings attached:mrgreen:.Its Xmas and I hate Xmas

Salty
12-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I would have done it for anyone starting out.No strings attached:mrgreen:.Its Xmas and I hate Xmas

lol. Its much appreciated SWEDE and thanks for sending them before that stupid holiday I hate it too.

The breeze messed up the flies in the pic a lot of the detail doesn't show they are the bomb, nothing like I've seen in stores. ..

GoatGuy
12-12-2009, 04:32 PM

I'd like to start out flying myself in for hunting with my own plane that's ready for the bush. It doesn't have to be new, something used will be fine. Something with some jam and big wings. I'd even take you in.

Hook a brother up?

THE SWEDE
12-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I'd like to start out flying myself in for hunting with my own plane that's ready for the bush. It doesn't have to be new, something used will be fine. Something with some jam and big wings. I'd even take you in.

Hook a brother up?

I like these myself
http://www.maules.com/2002MauleM7-235B/index.html

GoatGuy
12-12-2009, 04:46 PM
I like these myself

Used to fly one, not that exciting. Got a good buddy with a super cub, cheap 0 time engine new fabric etc.

All I want for christmas..........

Salty
12-12-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd like to start out flying myself in for hunting

Hook a brother up?

I don't have time for this project anymore. Its all yours just pm me your address

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/HotAirBalloon.jpg/712px-HotAirBalloon.jpg

BCrams
12-12-2009, 04:51 PM
I like these myself

I'd personally prefer one of these two :mrgreen:

http://www.bushplanes.com/

http://www.vikingair.com/content.aspx?id=270

Salty
12-13-2009, 10:07 AM
to think just the other month you got your first trout rod......
you are doomed!!!

It seems so. lol

THE SWEDE
12-13-2009, 10:45 AM
It seems so. lol

Now you need something really light.A 2 or 3 weight for creeks and streams

ruger#1
12-13-2009, 11:06 AM
I love my 3wt for lakes also, Lite and you have a hell of a fight.

Salty
12-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Now you need something really light.A 2 or 3 weight for creeks and streams

What rods would be on your short list if you were in the maket?

THE SWEDE
12-13-2009, 01:24 PM
For my short budget minded list I'd recommend the TFO Lefty Kreh signature series.The 6 foot 2 weight is a neat little toy.St Croix has brought back the Imperial series.They also make a 6 foot 2 weight which i purchased.I like it more than my Scott Fibertouch and its 3 times the money

Salty
12-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm probably done with budget shopping in the future. Which I don't regreat at all my 5wt TFO and my new Snowbee and wanted to get going without spending huge bucks to see if I liked fly fishing. I have than answer now.

So what's up with these short light weight rods?? I can see the benifits fishing little cricks with a lot of brush, but you wouldn't get much of a cast out in a lake, no?

THE SWEDE
12-13-2009, 03:24 PM
They dont cast far,but more for the fight and delicate presentation in tight locations..The Sage TXL 's are nice if you want to spend a few more bucks

12-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Ya casted it yet?

WaterSkeeter
12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
What rods would be on your short list if you were in the maket?

TFO rods are great!

THE SWEDE
12-14-2009, 05:35 PM
TFO rods are great!

PGK would disagree..Apparently they blow up like a Ford Pinto.

Salty
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM

I was told this and unwisely bought a TFO anyway. I wear body armour and a welder's shield for the inevidable explosion.

Ya casted it yet?

No. I just got back from a trip to Victoria and I can honestly say that I can't do cities. I'm getting drunk now to purify my sences. lol Soon.

WaterSkeeter
12-16-2009, 10:18 PM

Maybe if he new how to fish he wouldn't have that problem:twisted:

I have never had any issues with there rods.
Hey Swede, Im thinking of going sturgeon fishing, any recommendations hehehe

THE SWEDE
12-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Maybe if he new how to fish he wouldn't have that problem:twisted:

I have never had any issues with there rods.
Hey Swede, Im thinking of going sturgeon fishing, any recommendations hehehe

Ask Newhunterette..She'll take you out

Salty
12-17-2009, 06:03 PM
and post video

WaterSkeeter
12-17-2009, 11:20 PM
DEAL!

Wheres a good place and what time of year for cutthroat trout? was thinking of making a trip with my brother at some point.

PGK
12-18-2009, 08:48 PM
TFO = explod-o-matic. Don't say you weren't warned. And I'm busting the swede. Those flies he gave you are straight off www.piscatorflies.com ... I've got the same ones, they don't work. Hahaha. Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6kAILBDZM

Salty
12-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I think a poster or two wanted to hear what i thought of the new '8 weight', I got to try it today finally. No fish but. ..

I took the day off and headed for the Clux. Swollen and smoking along a little too much I decided to try the Marble. Hardly any fishable water there either but I found a spot to squeeze in safely.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Salty303/1stday.jpg

So if you look at the far bank I'm about 5 ft off the canopy that is about the same as what you see.

I was able to figure out a spey type cast starting over my left shoulder going into the run to the right. I'd never really tried this before but I didn't really have much else. It worked pretty good when I did my part! The rod has power I can feel it. When I got it right it would shoot line out with that heavy head doing its thing.

Frustrated with the lack of room on the river I stopped at a little lake with a dock to try it out. The lake was frozen which was a little messed up lol but again, when I did my part I love this thing! Its a bit of a heavy stroke one handed with this line and kind of sloooow motion. But it gets it out there.

The reel rocks. Love the drag. Everything fits and clicks in like it was born there.

I'd like to see someone who can cast work this puppy. It would be impressive. I think I'm going out again tomorrow the weather's clearing. ..

Salty
12-18-2009, 08:51 PM
TFO = explod-o-matic. Don't say you weren't warned. And I'm busting the swede. Those flies he gave you are straight off www.piscatorflies.com (http://www.piscatorflies.com) ... I've got the same ones, they don't work. Hahaha. Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6kAILBDZM

Woah, look what the wind blowed in. we was typin at the same time.

welcome back :mrgreen:

THE SWEDE
12-18-2009, 09:04 PM
PGK.I have a question regarding your tying technique.Why do you make a underbody out of dubbing.Why not use chenille or antron yarn.Less time consuming.Watching you dubb that was painful.:-DNice looking fly though

PGK
12-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Dubbing is faster. And cheaper. And if it slips out, or you lose the electrabraid, you don't lose the desired effect.

WaterSkeeter
12-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Dubbing is faster. And cheaper. And if it slips out, or you lose the electrabraid, you don't lose the desired effect.

Chenille is cheaper, I can buy a huge roll for 5 buck at the craft store. Lasted me 4 years so far.

GoatGuy
12-19-2009, 02:55 PM

We missed you!

THE SWEDE
12-19-2009, 03:44 PM
We missed you!

Who's we????

GoatGuy
12-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Who's we????

You, the dirt bag and emc of course.

PGK
12-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Now now, you guys, stop creating trouble or somebody gonna get banned.

PGK
12-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Back to fishing:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Skagitmaster#p/u/4/u2w-3cteRoY

WaterSkeeter
12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Who's we????

guess we means 2??? lol

THE SWEDE
12-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Back to fishing:

Sittin in the DVD palyer as we speak:-D

PGK
12-19-2009, 06:13 PM
When you're done, ship it to me. I'm too poor to buy it.

THE SWEDE
12-19-2009, 06:28 PM
When you're done, ship it to me. I'm too poor to buy it.

I'll brake they law and try to burn you a copy.Have Nervous Water and Rise if your interested

PGK
12-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Now now, I would never suggest you do such a thing, we could both get incarcerated, together, in the same cell. Hmmmm, go ahead :lol: What's nervous water, never heard of it? You still got my particulars?

Huh, I just looked up nervous waters, and there's a lot of the same footage in this:

http://vimeo.com/8111511

What's up with that?

Salty
12-20-2009, 12:14 AM
:icon_frow
Back to fishing:

Man. ^^ I have so much to learn its not even funny.

Got out today and started to make some headway with the new rod. Overhead casts were comming pretty good in the few spots I could. But I was messing around with some basic single spey type stuff for most of the day and in most cases I left all the head out plus some running line so like 40 ft - and could get it out there from either backhand or forhand depending on the run up stream in one shot. :-D

Yes there were a few collosal messes too. lol. I see the attraction though. you spend way more time fishing instead of false casting and dicking around. Flick it up stream, drift all the way down, repeat. No steelhead unfortunately but I don't think I deserve one yet :-|

THE SWEDE
12-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Now now, I would never suggest you do such a thing, we could both get incarcerated, together, in the same cell. Hmmmm, go ahead :lol: What's nervous water, never heard of it? You still got my particulars?

Huh, I just looked up nervous waters, and there's a lot of the same footage in this:

http://vimeo.com/8111511

What's up with that?

Thats the short ite based on..Theres 4 featured filmsas and 10 shorts on the DVD