PDA

View Full Version : Strange behavior!

M@B
12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I jumped a couple deer today hiking into my hunting spot. I blew the call to see if I could stop them. one stopped and, before I could move it circled around in the clearing and busted me right out in the open.
I stayed as still as I could (I was still unsure if it was a buck or doe). the wind was in my face and it was down hill from me so it couldnt get my sent.
I could tell by the way it was sniffing the air, it was trying to. then it stepped out. Doe.....oh well, Ill just sit and watch her for a bit.
She began to stomp the grown and exhale violently making a loud Psssssssst sound. she seemed very agitated stomping and snorting at us for a good 10 minutes before she started walking up hill toward us!!
she came to with in 20 yards then turned and walked off.

Ive never seen anything like that. Not from a doe.
I have to give her one thing though, she was a huge friggin doe!

darrin6109
12-02-2009, 06:40 PM
saw thae same thing last time i was out, the weird thing is i didnt even spook it, im sure it didnt even know i was there?

Shooter
12-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Its when they know something is up just not sure what. I have only seen does do it.

ruger#1
12-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I have had a few whitetails do that to me. I was wearing cover scent and well hidden in a wood pile. If it isnt smell, then it has to be sight or hearing.

BCTRUCKER
12-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Ive seen that also, When I had it done to me, it was because I had got between the fawn and doe. It makes you a little nervous when an animal
start walking up to you. stomping front feet every few yards and then takes off.

Bow Walker
12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Its when they know something is up just not sure what. I have only seen does do it.
Yup, what he said. They aren't sure what is causing them concern, but they know something is. Their behaviour (IMHO) is to provoke some sort of a response from whatever is out there. A loud fart will send them in the opposite direction - long before they get the scent!:wink::mrgreen:

M@B
12-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Ive seen that also, When I had it done to me, it was because I had got between the fawn and doe. It makes you a little nervous when an animal
start walking up to you. stomping front feet every few yards and then takes off.
Yeah I was just about to make a move and let her know I was there when she turned and walked off. It was a pretty cool experience though!

I thought that maybe it was behavior unique to mature matriarch does or something.

ruger#1
12-02-2009, 07:03 PM
A loud fart will send them in the opposite direction - long before they get the scent!:wink::mrgreen: I also found this works on the wife as well.

darrin6109
12-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Ruger that is too funny!

M@B
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Quality one liners......priceless!! lol!

doubled
12-02-2009, 07:48 PM
This happend to me a little while ago. I walked into about 7-8 whiteys and they took off before I could get my sh!t together. I waited a couple of minutes and walked the thirty more yards downhill to the flat and stood behind a big fir and blew a grunt three times. Sure enough, two whiteys come out just like I was calling my dog. I have never seen that before. They got to about 15 yards away and stopped, wondering what made that noise and then the bigger doe turned and walked directly toward me, coming around the tree and then stopping about ten feet away staring at me. I stayed perfectly still. She stomped her front foot a few times and came a foot closer and we stared each other down for about 30 seconds. She slowly turned and walked back down to the other one and they slowly walked away. It was pretty cool to experience.

JCVD
12-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Heh I have had this happen quite a bit, especially when you stand there looking at her and she has fawns. Spitting and stomping the ground, always funny. Had a buddy on Texada that had does charge him too haha.

Monashee
12-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Normal deer behaviour - they trust their noses more than their eyes when they aren't sure about things

humble hunter
12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I also found this works on the wife as well.

that is something I do strangely right around the first of September, usually lasts right to Dec 15th. :mrgreen: