PDA

View Full Version : Texas Bound

Chillybilly
12-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I am off to the Lone Star State for my 4th hunt down there!!!! I will give a full report when I get back late next week.:mrgreen:

Chilly

MIL720
12-02-2009, 09:18 AM
sweet...good luck

Chillybilly
12-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I arrived home last night after a long day of travel. Happy :mrgreen: to report we had a great hunt withour Texan friends again! I scored on a nice Texan Whitetail on the last evening of hunting. After passing on several Mule bucks and some decent Whitetails on first 3 days I was lucky this guy showed up! Not to much of a story but here is how it went down. I was dropped off at about 3:30 in the afternoon at my blind hoping for some luck. Half an hour later a Cross breed Mulie show up at about 180 yards out. I glass this guy for 5 minutes trying to figure out what he is, nice big Muley body with a nice 8 point (Texas count) Whitetail rack. I could not believe my eyes. I decide to take him as it was the last day, so I line up on him, flick the safety off when I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye, I look over and here is this guy racking some brush about 80 yards to my left, I quickly change my focus and drop him.
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/Chillybilly_photos/Picture009-1.jpg
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/Chillybilly_photos/Picture013.jpghttp://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/Chillybilly_photos/Picture010.jpg
I do have some Video of some Muley bucks that I will post later. All in all it was a great time! Oh yeah it snowed down there on the first day! First time my buddy had seen it in over 25 years of owning the ranch. It was 22 degrees F that morning, a little cool out in the desert!

Chilly

MIL720
12-10-2009, 04:30 PM
great lookin buck there Chilly....congrats

hillclimber
12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
nice buck congrats!

Ozone
12-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Im intrested to know what it cost tags wise? Also do you need a guide? Is it mostly private lands?

Chillybilly
12-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Hunting License, including tags for Whitetail and Mule deer and Turkey was $315 US for non residents. I was hunting on private land and all around us was private. I believe a large portion is private. There is lots of private land where you pay an amount to hunt per day and then a trophy fee on top of that if you harvest something. Very exspensive in the South West part of Texas where most of the Trophy Whitetail are from. I am not sure if you need a guide on public lands. Hope that helps.
Chilly

huntwriter
12-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Congratulations on a great looking buck. Love Texas been there a few times as guest on the Rio Bonito Ranch in the Texas hill country. Great people, great hunting, great countryside and food.

Chillybilly
12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I could not agree more on that huntwriter! I can't wait for next year as the plans are already in the works!
Chilly

xtremearchery
12-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Hope you're taking your buddy? I'll start saving.

brotherjack
12-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Nice!!! If you don't mind my asking, what part of the state were you hunting?

Chillybilly
12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I was hunting in Val Verde County. The ranch borders Langtry(home of Judge Roy Bean), the Pecos River and the Rio Grande. The closest town is Del Rio.

Chilly