PDA

View Full Version : cariboo

Dale
01-27-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has gone after cariboo? I'm looking at going next year and a little advice on good locations or tips on hunting them would be greatly appreciated.

youngfellla
01-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Caribou draws are pretty tough to get, just over 100 permits are issued for the entire province. My dad and I were fortunate enough to get drawn for Spatsizi 3 years ago, we went in on horses and both took nice bulls. As far as hunting them goes, they are curious animals (some would call them stupid) and are fairly easy to get close to. If they are close and haven't winded you, put your hat on the end of your rifle barrel, and slowly wave it back and forth. They will usually walk right up to see what's going on. We had a few bulls walk up to about 20 yards and stood watching us. They tend to stay a little lower than sheep, but can climb some pretty steep stuff if need be.

boonerbuck
01-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Most of the northern Province is open to Caribou hunting during a regular season. That's one of the reasons draws are so hard to get. There are hardly any.

bigwhiteys
01-29-2006, 10:24 AM
After I tag out on a stone sheep then caribou/goat will be one of my next ventures.

My family has several "Klineberger" awards for the largest caribou taken dating back into the 60's all through the 70's, 80's and early 90's... I've got one of the statues on my mantle right now.

The area they outfitted was reknowned for the book caribou that it consistently produced.

The only problem is it's a real bitch to access without horses or a float plane!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Brambles
01-29-2006, 10:41 AM
After I tag out on a stone sheep then caribou/goat will be one of my next ventures.

My family has several "Klineberger" awards for the largest caribou taken dating back into the 60's all through the 70's, 80's and early 90's... I've got one of the statues on my mantle right now.

The area they outfitted was reknowned for the book caribou that it consistently produced.

The only problem is it's a real bitch to access without horses or a float plane!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Carl
If you could just send me the GPS coordinates to that spot I'll be happy to fly inhttp://www.smileys.ws/smls/grinning/00000018.gif

bigwhiteys
01-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Brambles,

Take me with you and I am sure we could arrange it :)

Flying with my Grandpa or Dad in the little supercub through the mountains is probably one of my most cherished outdoor memories of all time. What a way to see the country!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

steel_ram
01-29-2006, 10:53 AM
There's several place in NW Bc that produce book animals, you pay your money and take your chances:confused: or you join the zoo about 70 km's West of Dease.:wink:

Brambles
01-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Brambles,

Take me with you and I am sure we could arrange it :)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Don't laugh, I might take you up on it, are there any Stones in the area?

bigwhiteys
01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Brambles,

I wasn't joking either. That was a friendly smile. Yes there are stones in the area. I posted pics of my dads ram on slyfox's "stone sheep" thread.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

steveo32
01-30-2006, 02:47 PM
I am a hunting guide in northern b.c. and as for caribou being "stupid" all depends on the time of year. I have seen the dumb ones but also have been dummied by a couple of the older bulls! But if you are interested look for areas out towards watson lake easier access but the caribou are not as big!

steve

moose hunter
01-30-2006, 05:36 PM
im palnning to hunt boo soon i hope as soon as the money starts raining again but what r u using for a rifle

trigger
01-30-2006, 06:14 PM
I used to hunt them in tweedsmuir park at fenton lake. Cant get a draw for them anymore in there but, me and my dad have takein about six out of there in the last 10 years. Fly in only and then hike up a mountain to a plateu. It was pretty tough but not as hard as goat hunting. I got my first caribou when i was 11 years old. We also go in there for moose and grizzly. It is a trip that me my mom and my dad really enjoy doing. Someplaces are might be expensive to fly too or to take horses into but absolutely priceless memories and pictues and stories. When i get back to my computer in Houston i will post some pics. Oh and for strategies for hunting them. get somewhere noticable and wave a white flag. No im just kidding, but a very curious animal. you never know. give it a try.

slyfox
01-30-2006, 06:21 PM
DEASE lake has some monsters in the area my friend shot a record book one this year.