PDA

View Full Version : Coyote

LYKTOHUNT
12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Was hunting region 5 last week, while sitting on a stump watching a hillside an doing some calling with my deer call I heard a noise behind me. I turned around to see a coyote coming down the hill towards me, so far nothing unusual except he kept coming up to me until he got within three feet of me,still kinda cool, the wind was blowing towards him the whole time so it had to smell me.
I then said to it to scram and moved a bit but all it did was circle the stump I was on, so I slipped the safety off my rifle and pointed it at him as he circled me, now the rifle barrel is about two feet away from it. It showed no fear or aggression. It left down the hill after awhile and went over to where I had my quad parked,I went back to my quad and he came back to where I was standing behind the quad and again I told him to Run oft off. Finally I drove away and he still stayed there.
I was wondering if any one else has experienced this behavior from an animal that is usually very timid.

brotherjack
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Anytime I see a coyote, he gets a bullet as soon as I can get a bead on him. I've never let one live long enough to see what it might (or might not) do.

:)

KB90
12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Anytime I see a coyote, he gets a bullet as soon as I can get a bead on him. I've never let one live long enough to see what it might (or might not) do.

:)

x2 soon as its in shooting range. I might try one day to see how close I can get one to come.

Thats pretty cool to see it so close.

xtremearchery
12-01-2009, 12:15 PM
I had a red fox do that to me 15+ years ago. The difference was it decided to lunge at me. I moved out of the way and shot it. We called the CO and they ran a test on it. Ended up having mainge and rabies.

Mik
12-01-2009, 12:25 PM
So, did you take a photo of it? And the question remains,Why did you let it live?

LYKTOHUNT
12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
So, did you take a photo of it? And the question remains,Why did you let it live?
No I did not have a camera and at 2 or 3 ft away I just could not bring myself to shoot it, maybe if it looked sick or lunged at me ,I found the up close and personal situation to be worth not shooting but rather enjoy the experience, now if had of been a wolf It would have been a different storyand as a side note in the last few years we have been seeing wolves and not shooting them, (big mistake)with the result that in a weeks hunt last week 5-2d six guys saw a total of six deer in six days where we usually would see 5-10 deer a day each person. We did see alot of wolf tracks and did get to hear them howl frequently

lightmag
12-01-2009, 01:00 PM
walked into a cut yesterday, wind swirling, saw a yote walking across a cut at approx. 130 yards, rifle up, click safety off and like a shot the yote looked back all the time sprinting for cover! he heard me click my safety at around 130 yards and windy, WOW!! animals hearing is amazing. Never pulled a shot as it was a low percentage shot and i was deer hunting.

treeclimber
12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
a good yote is a dead yote

ElkMasterC
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I was using the deer Talker on my friend's Rosie hunt this fall in region 2.
I thought I heard a bear downhill, so I blew the fawn bleat side...waited...nothing...
Put the call in my pocket, and started to walk up the logging road again, and nearly ran smack dab into a very large coyote that was RUNNING up the road to me.
It swapped ends, and tore off, I took my 30 Ought off my shoulder and raised it to aim, and it fired off into the bush as soon as I got near to having a shot.
Shame...gonna have to use my new .222 and take some out this winter.
I see what you mean by the experience though.
Sometimes I don't shoot things, cuz the experience you get just watching is worth more than a carcass.

huntinnewbie
12-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Hubby and I were riding twp up on our enduro up Blackmine Rd in Princeton. We came around a corner and there was a big yote on the side of the bank leading up to the road. We stopped and he came right up the bank to within 2 fet of the bike. I could count every whisker. He simply looked us over for a minute or so as I spoke to him. Finally it took several shoo shoo and me waving my hand at him before he turned and trotted down the road. It was not hunting season and we didn't have our gun with us at the time but I am of the mind of the OP that I don't think we could have shot him so close and so inquisative. He was a large, healthy looking guy with a beautiful coat.

Jagermeister
12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I would have stroked the damm thing as soon as I saw it, no if, and, or but. When they get that close to you, what would you have done if it decided to attack you. You certainly would have been fighting for your life although you probably would have only recieved some bites. That critter might decide to follow you to town and attack a child. Do not let one walk away again, period It's way out of character for them to approach that close

LYKTOHUNT
12-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I would have stroked the damm thing as soon as I saw it, no if, and, or but. When they get that close to you, what would you have done if it decided to attack you. You certainly would have been fighting for your life although you probably would have only recieved some bites. That critter might decide to follow you to town and attack a child. Do not let one walk away again, period It's way out of character for them to approach that close
I had the upper hand with a safety off 7MM Mag barrel pointed at it at two feet away and it would be highly unlikely it would follow me home 70km away after waiting for me to finish our hunt in camp with five other guys for another four days until we packed up to leave for home.
I do not feel the need to kill stuff just because I can, like I said earlier it did not appear to be sick or menacing just curious and out of character and had it been a wolf where they have laid a serious whooping on the deer well I would maybe have saved a couple of deer with the help of a 160gr barnes.
I do however understand your concerns.

jonz
12-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Don't coyotes kill a lot of deer too?

Lucky77_
12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
if u LYKTOHUNT u better get on board and enjoy the experiance of some dead dogs on the ground, remember they enjoy the sport to.

sparkes3
12-02-2009, 06:56 PM
i whistled at a coyote on a farm in clinton last month the damn thing ran up to me like it was my own dog stopped about ten feet away from me not a care in the world almost like he could read the no hunting sign right above him in the tree.i figured that maybe the owner of the farm must be feeding it or something.

treeclimber
12-02-2009, 07:34 PM
what farmer would feed a yote anything other than lead?

Chuck
12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Bizarre........absolutely bizarre!

Jagermeister
12-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Coyotes have a natural fear of man. When they see or scent you, 99% of the time, they are booking it for the next GMR. That 1% that circles you has no fear for one reason or another, that's an animal that should have been extracted from the gene pool. Be it coyote or wolf, the liberal hunting season on these critters are for good reason. Like another poster pointed out, if you want to continue to hunt, you will have to take the odd 'yote out of action, likewise wolves. Wolves are more elusive than 'yotes, but if you have the same situation occur with either species, you better do your part. "yotes, wolves and bears are the biggest predators of new born deer, elk and moose.

ElkMasterC
12-02-2009, 09:09 PM
i whistled at a coyote on a farm in clinton last month the damn thing ran up to me like it was my own dog stopped about ten feet away from me not a care in the world almost like he could read the no hunting sign right above him in the tree.i figured that maybe the owner of the farm must be feeding it or something.

Wasn't my buddy's farm that's for sure.
He would have had a 6 mm PPC up his cootch.
They only get fed lead in Clinton.

Dirty
12-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Sure you weren't drunk hunting on the rez? It was probably an indian dog.

338 winmag
12-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Ive had similar experiences with lynx and once a fox , gunning down a critter that follows you around like a pet don't feel quite right.

redcomet
12-03-2009, 11:43 AM
So what do you guys do with those dead yotes? The pelt isn't all that great if you shoot one in Sept?

brotherjack
12-03-2009, 11:53 AM
So what do you guys do with those dead yotes? The pelt isn't all that great if you shoot one in Sept?

If there's anything of the pelt left worth salvaging (there isn't always), I'd give em away to one of my buddies who's more ambitious than me to get em skinned and such. I just shoot em to reduce the numbers of them nasty things -- but if there's use to be had of the pelt, I try to make sure someone gets it.

KB90
12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
if there's use to be had of the pelt, I try to make sure someone gets it.

x2

If not, bird food.

Jagermeister
12-03-2009, 12:10 PM
x2

If not, bird food.
Bird food??? Damm the kid is learning quick.
A 'yote pelt at this time of year is prime, so make an effort to get it into the hands of a local trapper. They usually will take them whole.

redcomet
12-03-2009, 04:12 PM
x2

If not, bird food.

So, are you saying that you would just leave them there for the ravens?...

jaywill
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
ive never hunted dogs before, is it fine to leave the varmints for the birds? I'd use a .308 so there wouldnt be much of a pelt.

weatherby_man
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Coyotes are getting way too agressive and their numbers along with most other predators are getting way too high.

If it happens again - shoot it!