PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Wall Tents?

leadpillproductions
11-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Has any one made walltents out of tarps if so pics
do you think a guy could make one from tarps would save on the weight

BiG Boar
11-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I was wondering just yesterday if one of those car port style tarp doohickies with a propane heater inside would work. Cheap at costco, big and weather resistant.

r106
11-30-2009, 11:16 PM
thats not a bad idea
________
Mercury Marquis Picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_Marquis)

Gunsmoke
11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
I wonder if the canvas isn't better at retaining heat....and heavier thus less likely to be blown around.....

stitch
11-30-2009, 11:25 PM
the car port works great. Use plywood on each end with a wood stove up at the ranch...you can't beat the price and comfort.

leadpillproductions
11-30-2009, 11:27 PM
use a canvas tarp for roof the tarps for the walls not a one piece tent but all seperate pieces built around a log frame should work pretty good and a lot lighter for boating in back packin in

lip_ripper00
11-30-2009, 11:28 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0698_3.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16575&size=big&cat=500)

husky30-06
11-30-2009, 11:57 PM
we had one when I was in search and rescue it was awesome...... we had end walls made up with a door in one. This worked very well, the only draw back was that the poles were very heavy to pack around......1/8" walled PVC pipe might work I guess :confused::confused:!!!!!! I was going to get one for my little 14' travel trailer and park it in one end with the other being for a sitting area with a propane heater.

GoatGuy
12-01-2009, 12:06 AM
made a 20' out of pvc covered in a tarp. Was nice with 6' walls. They tend to sweat a bit but overall worked fine. Not as nice as the real deal though.

The Hermit
12-01-2009, 12:16 AM
I think they would sweat a lot... condensation dripping on you all night would suck. Yes I'm biased with a vested interest! ;-)

GoatGuy
12-01-2009, 12:22 AM
I think they would sweat a lot... condensation dripping on you all night would suck. Yes I'm biased with a vested interest! ;-)

It was surprising even at -30 it wasn't bad. We also doubled up on the tarps. It's a pain carrying all the poles for it and you also have to build a wood frame for the stove pipe.

It doubled as boat storage in the winter. The real thing is better for sure.

pete_k
12-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Princess Auto in Kelowna has Military surplus tent poles. They are various lengths with couplers to fit together in most tent formations. They are about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" and made from dense fibre-glass. Fairly heavy I suppose, but also very strong.
They also have all sizes of slicker canvas that the truckers use. VERY heavy stuff and very expensive.

I had a look, but figured I could do the same thing in the bush with some pecker-poles and rope. Nothing to pack in or out.
Side benefit of tarps is they let alot of light through.

12-01-2009, 02:11 AM

I would use a wood heater, a propane heater would create huge amounts of condensation under a plastic tarp.

Lone Ranger
12-01-2009, 06:30 AM
I second wood heat. If you keep the inside temp of the tent at a comfortable temp you shouldn't get too much sweat at all, might also need to crack a corner to allow the moisture to escape. Same as your house, shop, ect ect.

Propane can work if its via heat exchange (like a camper furnace). The intake/exhaust would have to be open the the exterior, and basically the flame merely heats up the external surface and therefore radiates heat into the tent.

The biggest argument I could personally see on canvas vs tarps would be that canvas would absorb any excess moisture, be quieter on breezy nights, and possibly be a little more comfortable. Tarps would most likely be lighter and unless you get the canvas for free or as surplus, tarps would definitely be cheaper. PVC pipe works but you need to use larger diameter/heavier pipe to handle any possible snow load. After a dozen or so beer at the end of the night, its all the same anyways! Just my .02. LR

sparkymacker
12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
the car port works great. Use plywood on each end with a wood stove up at the ranch...you can't beat the price and comfort.

This set up definately works great. The Costco units are around $200 bucks and come with windows now and the corners seal up much better. I have the older version which I cut down the uprights down about 16"; but there is still tons of head room. Use plywood or OSB for the wood stove end and a sheet metal sleeve for the pipe. Fashion a door in the other end out of the same material and you have a cozy structure with tons of room. I agree you get some condensation, but I think that could be easily over come by installing a vent in the peak (on the to do list).

A wall tent is the real deal, but this is pretty liveable at a fraction of the cost. The other nice touch is that you do not have to worry about mildew or rot.

tomahawk
12-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Here's one that even a mother couldn't be proud of, but let me tell you, it worked real well. It was warm and at the time we made it none of us had the extra cash to be able to buy a wall tent. We had a house door on it and a wood stove and it beat the sh#t out of a camper at -20 in the Chilcotin mountains!!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Deercamp.jpg

bad arrow
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
tomahawk, are you guys carpenter's?..... One thing about using tarps is the extreme fire hazard they present, fire resistant canvas would be alot safer.

BlacktailStalker
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
LOL I have to laugh that thing is classic Tomahawk :cool:

I would rather stay in a cardboard box than nothing if it meant hunting or not so whatever a guy can come up with is good regardless of what it looks like.

Angel
12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Here's one that even a mother couldn't be proud of, but let me tell you, it worked real well. It was warm and at the time we made it none of us had the extra cash to be able to buy a wall tent. We had a house door on it and a wood stove and it beat the sh#t out of a camper at -20 in the Chilcotin mountains!!

lol thats classic...... I do agree that it would be easier and quicker to setup a store bought wall tent. too much crap to deal with for a self built one. Unless you come up with a offseason rig that works well.

Kudu
12-01-2009, 11:49 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_0698_3.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16575&size=big&cat=500)

Wow - that's pretty neat lip_ripper00 - how did you make it? and how long to set it up? any pics of the inside....

Any reason why you would not use that set up, and rather a commercial wall tent?

Fyrslyer
12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey all just curious if anyone knows where to buy canvas from? I have a 6.5' x 12' utility trailer with 2 foot sides and a boat rack attachetment front and back I would only need to cut a ridgepole and it would make a great wall tent frame

bucktrack
12-01-2009, 01:50 PM
I can help you with tarps, canvas, etc. Its what i do. Poly will sweat and burn up like gasoline, because i am in the industry, I can give a few examples and trust me some are tragic. I carry some FR polys that will work however. you can send a pm if you like. I realized that not everyone has a wall tent in there budget.

bforce750
12-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Costco car shelters work very well with a few mods.

tomahawk
12-01-2009, 03:37 PM
tomahawk, are you guys carpenter's?..... One thing about using tarps is the extreme fire hazard they present, fire resistant canvas would be alot safer.

Nope just poor young guys at the time who lived to hunt and the year before we hunted the same area for a week in temps that were -52 at Puntzi Mtn weather stn and we were in a camper where the beer froze on the sink counter with the heater running full blast (we used a 20 lb bottle of propane up in 2 days!!

bad arrow
12-01-2009, 05:23 PM
I can help you with tarps, canvas, etc. Its what i do. Poly will sweat and burn up like gasoline, because i am in the industry, I can give a few examples and trust me some are tragic. I carry some FR polys that will work however. you can send a pm if you like. I realized that not everyone has a wall tent in there budget.

Thats what I mean bucktrack, the fire hazard, if a guy is gonna use a poly tarp he better be super careful, without going into details a member of my family got burned really bad when their tarp caught fire and went up like gas, actually 2 guys got burned so bad they were in VGH for almost a year, please use fire ******ant materials.

Buck
12-01-2009, 05:59 PM

You must be a stinky *******

ydouask
12-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Tomahawk, you should have patented that structure... they've been appearing all over the West Kootenays... often found abandoned by the time hunting season roll around.

leadpillproductions
12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
those are some nice home maders

lip_ripper00
12-01-2009, 07:28 PM
This one is 15x20 and started life as a costco cover buddy had a custom cover made. We uaslly have 3 people staying but could easily put one more person in without getting to cramped. The only time condensation is a problem is dinner time, we use a pressure canner to heat frozen precooked meals (frozen solid to serving in 20 minutes), we then open the fire up a bit open the door for a few minutes and its done. Pic of the stove is in my gallery. This works quite well down to -25 coldest we have used it.

tomahawk
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Tomahawk, you should have patented that structure... they've been appearing all over the West Kootenays... often found abandoned by the time hunting season roll around.

Well if there abandoned by hunting season maybe we could partner up and market the rental of them for Sept to Nov and make some pocket change? LOL.

tomahawk
12-01-2009, 07:37 PM
You must be a stinky *******

If you had been on the Island Sunday night you would have thought so after I was gone bison hunting for 12 days!

Lone Ranger
12-01-2009, 08:24 PM

I'd live in it :mrgreen:

recoil
12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I have slept in something similar to Tomahawk's that was made out of tyvek house wrap and 2x4s, used a industrial stapler to keep it from flying away. It worked real good although we made sure to leave plenty of space around the stove vent. Ours had a plastic sheet for a door though!

mark
12-01-2009, 09:55 PM
We've been using this set up for over 10 years, I like it better than a real wall tent, no condensation probs, and no fire probs either!
It also has a plywood door, we were taking it down when I took this pic!
Sets up in about 20-30 minutes, cost about $100 in materials!
Have stayed in there at -20 before.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMGA0072.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=9757&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

muleychaser
12-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I made a wall tent out of electrical conduit I bent up and connected together. It was 24 ft by 14 ft and we built the front portion to come apart in 3 peices. We used a tarp and it went to -24 on that trip. The one thing that was an issue was condensation on the inside of the tent that would drip down on our beds. It worked fine and we survived but we do not use it anymore. After trial and trivulation I am actually going to just get a canvas wall tent. It seems like alot up front but if you take care of it it will last for years. Pm me your email and I will send you the pics of what I built.

leadpillproductions
12-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I Think A Real Wall Tent Is The Way To Go ,but A Tarp One A 3 Person Backpacker Could Make A Heck Of A Camp

born2hunt
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM

this is truley a classic - i love it:)

Fraink
12-02-2009, 07:58 AM
The problem with propane heat is it gives off a lot of water, used tarp over a metal frame with a propane catlytic (spelled wrong I think) heater and it was almost raining inside. But we made a tarp tent with wood pole frame on an island we boat to, heated with a home made wood stove and we had no moisture problems. Gotta have the wood stove, I made mine out of an old water heater, worked great!

Fraink.

tomahawk
12-02-2009, 04:08 PM
this is truley a classic - i love it:)

It sure isn't pretty but it was way more warm and comfie than a camper. I look back at it now and have to laugh though!

SAVAGE300
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM

I can honesty say I have made slept in one worse looking than that on the east side of babine lake, an hours boatride from babine lake resort

taper arrow
12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I have make one out of bent electric conduit and cover with plastic trap. The door, you can buy a ready cut plastic trap from liquitation world where there sell traps and canopys. Set up only takes 15 mins. Wood stove is best because its dry heat and do not cause condensate.Stove Pipe go through the trap, put a thin steel plate to prevent burning. Still using it after 6 years. By the way, you do not have to dry the trap to store it

ratherbefishin
12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I've used a 10x20 tarp garage with plywood ends for several years-we have a airtight oval stove for heat and it works great.Lots of room for sleeping, cooking, sitting around and drying clothes.sure-I'd like a nice canvas wall tent, but this serves us well and only cost $200.We haven't had any problems with condensation-maybe thats the result of wood heat.One benefit of using a waterproof tarp -when it rains-we have a ready supply of water in the dips in the roof!

thunderheart
12-02-2009, 06:35 PM

i like it ... move over and pour me a coffee would ya ..

tomahawk
12-02-2009, 09:49 PM
i like it ... move over and pour me a coffee would ya ..

We certainly had a few looks from one other party that was in the same valley that year, they came over one night just to see what it looked like inside and they all agreed that they found it cosy,comfortable and warmer compared to their unit. No one would feel uncomfortable about entering it as far as feeling its to pristine anyways!!

hunter1947
12-03-2009, 06:51 AM
My hunting partner made a wall tent 16x12 with 4 foot sides 20 years ago and he still uses it to this day.

He made it out of paint drop sheets and then put a water prop material on the roof of it ,will try and find a pic of it all by itself and post it up.

leadpillproductions
12-14-2009, 12:46 PM
been looking at miner tents also they seem pretty good

bigslim
12-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Used a car tent in minus 25c, wood on both ends heavy tarp added over the structure big wood stove, warm as hell. As long as you kept the roof free of snow no condensation problem

eaglesj
12-23-2009, 08:17 PM
a guy I know said they use tyvek/typar for their wall tent. Not water proof, but rolls up nicer than a tarp.

leadpillproductions
12-23-2009, 08:51 PM
a guy I know said they use tyvek/typar for their wall tent. Not water proof, but rolls up nicer than a tarp.
what the heck is that stuff never heard of it

ElectricDyck
12-23-2009, 09:19 PM
I'd like to see a picture of one of the electrical conduit frames if anyone has a picture of one?

Alpine Addict
12-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Tyvek/Typar is what you see on houses being built. Black/blue paper. Just a moisture barrier that goes on before sidding.

leadpillproductions
12-23-2009, 09:37 PM
I wonder how the wrap they use to cover wood , would work also i think

Chillybilly
12-24-2009, 11:41 AM
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/Chillybilly_photos/IMG_0720.jpg

This set up cost me $500 icluding wood stove and smoke hole sewed into tarp. I have been at -20 with no problems, some times to hot! I fixed the sweating problem by attaching a cheap electric fan from the roof to keep the air moving. It was only a problem when cooking. I think it is the propane which cause the condensation.
Chilly

Sooke Hunter
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
what the heck is that stuff never heard of it

Building paper/wrap or moisture barrier.

Wolfman
01-06-2011, 12:55 AM
You'd figure they would sweat a lot and I wonder about ventilation. I guess you would have to watch that if you had a heater going inside...

ratherbefishin
01-06-2011, 06:58 AM
The only problem with my tarp garage with plywood ends is the plywood is bulky,as are the 1 1/2 pipes.But once up it is nice-lots of room, and the oval stove keeps it plenty warm enough.We haven't had any condensation problems .And as I mentioned the tarp roof sags a bit in the rain-providing a good source of clean water,you don't need to worry about beaver fever.I've even thought of rigging a pvc gutter with a down pipe to my water container...,got to admit-it makes sense

Glenny
01-06-2011, 07:54 AM
I think it would be ok with a wood stove. Propane would sweat for sure.

Wild Images
01-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Met some guys up caribou hunting, they made a tent out of lumber wrap and had a propane heater. It got so wet in there with four guys that they had to cover their sleeping bags with plastic to keep them dry.
If you want to cut weight on a wall tent check out the Hermits website and look at the featherweight model, 50% less weight but still breathes
On alpine hunts we throw in a small wood stove an a box of presto logs, dampered down you get about six hours of heat per log and can get stuff dried out

Fraink
01-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I was wondering just yesterday if one of those car port style tarp doohickies with a propane heater inside would work. Cheap at costco, big and weather resistant.

The trouble with propane heat especially in a plastic tarp is the moisture collects and it "rains" inside the enclosure. Wood heat works but you have to have a wall made of something other than plastic behind the stove.

blackwater moose
01-06-2011, 08:27 PM

we did this for 3 seasons , worked very well with either wood stove or propane heater

M.Dean
01-06-2011, 08:59 PM
This was home for a week on the 171 Road, alls you need is a good roll of poly, a tarp or 2 and a good stove. We found it's better to make some kind of door at home and bring it along with you. Note the kitchen out front, this was the Deluxe model!!!http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/scan0022.jpg

M.Dean
01-06-2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/scan0021.jpgSame camp on the 171, my buddy setting it up while I drink and take pictures! All the poles were left there from other hunters, we just had to rebuild a few things and fire up the stove!

M.Dean
01-06-2011, 09:20 PM
You can see our camp in back of us, some friends had this one set up when we got there, it was on the Black Dome and the Temp dropped down to about minus 30, we hung that buck up a few days before and it was so frozen he would stand up by him self! We had a wood stove ripping and a propane heater and we still Dam near froze solid like him! http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/scan0016_Medium_.jpg

2tins
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM
The tents from delux advertized on this site are pretty light in comparison to others I have used. Poles are going to be heavy and take up room no matter who makes them. I have met guys who bring a roll of polly, build a frame and make a tent out of that. It works but is kinda delicate.