PDA

View Full Version : Fur storing?

kwasky
11-30-2009, 09:03 PM
In case I get lucky this winter. Just wondering what is the best way to keep a skinned out wolf, coyote, lynx.... Should I get all meat off and freeze it or salt it....? Wanting it to keep for a while before going to taxidermist.

thanks allot.

d6dan
11-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Flesh the hide good and roll it up and freeze it..No salt. Bag it up good so you don't upset the wife..

Mtnhunter
11-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Wolf or Coyote you can leave the head and paws for your Taxidermist and just freeze, don't salt! The Lynx I wouldn't even gut or skin just put it in the freezer whole if you've got the room! If you're having the Lynx life sized it's better for the Taxidermist to have the carcass to get measurements off of!

snareman1234
11-30-2009, 10:05 PM
As mtn hunter said, if you have the room, just freeze it whole, taxidermist will do the best job,

But, if you skin it, then case skin it, leave cut paws at elbow and let taxi skin those, do head if you can, watch eyelids, leave tail bone in

Then lay skin fur out, skin in, and roll from rail to nose, have as little skin showing as possible as this will become "freeze dried" or freezer burnt, and then put it in a ziplock or a garbage bag.