PDA

View Full Version : Wolves

KB90
11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
I got to thinking with all of this wolf talk lately and an increasing population.

What are you experiences with them?

I'll start... I've heard them howl and seen their tracks but I have yet to even see a wolf.

guntech
11-30-2009, 02:24 PM
We saw prints and scat everywhere we moose hunted. (7-10) Saw no deer. While calling moose we had 6 wolves come running in... shot one at 35 yards.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/wolfanddennis-0.jpg

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/wolfteeth-0.jpg

KB90
11-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Thats a nice looking wolf! I'm not sure If I like the black or the white more.

mijinkal
11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
The wolves woke me up Saturday night when I was sleeping in the truck with the kids. They sounded so damn close, I was ready to fire a warning shot, just to scare em away. I also saw their prints all over the place in the morning, none of them entered camp but they came way too close for comfort.
So, say you shoot a wolf, what next?

KB90
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
So, say you shoot a wolf, what next?

Well if it were me I'd skin it out and it would be a rug on my wall :-D or if you don't want to keep it you could skin it out and sell it?

BlacktailStalker
11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Posted before but here is the only one I've had a shot at. Seen others and countless kills/sign over the years.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f314/BlacktailStalker/DSC01742.jpg

behemoth
11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
I saw one while hunting deer, had a shot but didnt take it because I didnt want to make that much noise

MIL720
11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I saw one while hunting deer, had a shot but didnt take it because I didnt want to make that much noise
probably not too many deer around if there are wolves in the area...

PGK
11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I love that idea. Wolves here, deer must all be dead :lol: What the heck are the wolves there for then?? If there were no deer, the wolves would leave :lol:

I missed a big one last winter.

Squirrelnuts
11-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I've seen plenty, (especially in the last two years) but it's always been at work and when I'm without a rifle.

mark
11-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Saw one once while moose hunting, I was way to deep in the swamps to bother with a moose, so i left him alone.
All my buddies at camp gave me $hit for not shooting it.....oddly enough I saw the same wolf the very next day???? Missed him on the run.
Other than that, I see sign all the time!

tomahawk
11-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Killed one only with my bow.

Ride
11-30-2009, 04:19 PM
I got three last year, and saw plenty more. Hunting the McBride area last week i saw two big wolves in fields around town. I have seen a lot of wolves over the last four years. Take em every chance i get.

BuriedByTheDead
11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
add in ive seen many wolves but wouldnt shoot one and ill vote :)

Wild one
11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I have seen wolves a few times but they just don't let me get with in bow range.

Tomahawk When you arrowed your wolf were you targeting them or just came across it while hunting?

Ddog
11-30-2009, 04:43 PM
i have seen a few,,and heard them many times in places i have been ,,i love them and will never kill one unless it is for protection.

betteroffishing
11-30-2009, 05:06 PM
not lucky enough to have seen one yet , but they are in areas i hunt , and if i were to get an opportunity on one i would sure take it , nice rug , 1 less mouth to compete with.

KB90
11-30-2009, 05:18 PM
i have seen a few,,and heard them many times in places i have been ,,i love them and will never kill one unless it is for protection.

add in ive seen many wolves but wouldnt shoot one and ill vote :)

Do you mind if I ask why?

Too me it's a no brainer. Even if I had no use for the wolf I would still shoot it.

Going out and seeing a bunch of deer and having successful hunting every year is a lot better than seeing no deer and getting a glimpse of the ever elusive wolf.

one-shot-wonder
11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
This is what should be done when you encounter a wolf in the outdoors:

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/One-Shot-Wonder/?action=view&current=WOLF.flv (http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/One-Shot-Wonder/?action=view&current=WOLF.flv)

kwasky
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
If I had the shot oportunity i would take it. Nice video by the way.

Lucky77_
11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
never had a shot opertunity however i got one with a ball peen hammer one hit . oh ya who else can say that?

Bud
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I had huge male chase a couple whitetail does out of the timber in front of me last year,he was right with them when he stopped at about 75yds, they kep't going.it was snowing and I flipped my back scope cover up and he made me. I had the crosshairs in between his eyes and moved back and forth from his shoulder for about 30 seconds as we had a stare down. Big yellow eyes, guard hairs all covered in snow, freaking huge, he just looked too cool to pull the trigger, (also was the first day of a week long hunt and didn't know what the hell to do with him) but he was a very awesome, wish I had my camera ready. He just walked away down into a ravine. Kind of felt like shooting someone's dog though, I also got ribbed about it a bit when I got back to camp.

frenchbar
11-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Seen 7 grey timber wolves moving in on our moose kill...got off a few shots and missed.was a pissoff!

Sitkaspruce
11-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Seen 14, all white but one while hunting at Netson lake....had only my bow and watched them run down the beach. next dat we killed a good bull right where they were the night before and saw 6 other bulls that day.

In 2006 while guiding, I saw/called in 19 through out the two trips. I shot one and we killed two more.

I have called in and killed a few while moose hunting and seen way too many to count.

Saw this a few years ago while doing MPB recce's. Sorry for the shakeyness, was in a heli when we saw this. I will post some picts as well, but I need to watermark them since a GO stole them off of here and posted them on their own web site as their own.:confused::(

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/WolvesMovie.flv">

You can hunt them in the winter. They are hard, but we have been successful. Just need the patience and time.

Cheers

SS

Dutch Ppoacher
11-30-2009, 07:32 PM
wicked video, cool view from above, now i see why we aren't aloud to hunt from helicopters

wighty
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL WOLF...... I hope you had it mounted! Id love to see a pic of it if you did

We saw prints and scat everywhere we moose hunted. (7-10) Saw no deer. While calling moose we had 6 wolves come running in... shot one at 35 yards.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/3/b/d/203599/wolfanddennis-0.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
11-30-2009, 07:39 PM

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/One-Shot-Wonder/?action=view&current=WOLF.flv (http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c387/One-Shot-Wonder/?action=view&current=WOLF.flv)

I didn't know you got that on vid??!! Awesome stuff!!!

Have seen one big solo black wolf stalking some stone ewes and lambs and heard some others howling while on a caribou/grizz hunt.

Never had any shot opps but would never hesitate.

SSS

BlacktailStalker
11-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Very cool getting that on video, nice work.

d6dan
11-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Cool vid SS. Do you think the wolves finally got to the moose?. She looked a little exhausted standing there...damn wolves!, should be shot...

bozzdrywall
11-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Kill them any time you see them the less wolves the more elk the better we are all.

showtimebc
11-30-2009, 08:30 PM
i've seen several over the last few years. missed a few, and finally connected on a black/grey one this year. My dad also got a big black male about an hour later that day.

they are smart, and crafty buggers to figure out. they do come into a howl if you know they are around...even if you've spooked them already!

Sitkaspruce
11-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Cool vid SS. Do you think the wolves finally got to the moose?. She looked a little exhausted standing there...damn wolves!, should be shot...

That "stain" you see is blood form the moose bleeding out. The moose was probbaly lunch meat a couple hours later. It is within a couple miles of my guide cabin, but I could not find any evidence of the moose the following fall.

The pictures show it much better. Just need to get the watermark on them.

Cheers

SS

one-shot-wonder
11-30-2009, 08:35 PM
I didn't know you got that on vid??!! Awesome stuff!!!
SSS

It was unreal GH was really surprised when the wolf he was videoing at 30 yards was nothing but a cloud of water vapor in his view finder and my shot rang out just up river from him.

The idiot never had an iron with him and was loving the video footage he was getting but was wishing I was around to take the wolf....we were both pumped to score a pretty dog like that, and save a moose calves life.

BTW, 2 days later I returned toteh area and howled in a companion looking for their lost buddy. I was able to get a quick shot off and winged it...tracked it for a bit but never caught up to it again. :cry:

BigfishCanada
11-30-2009, 09:07 PM
I know where a large pack are near kamloops, should I be nervous in the bush? Also maybe I should take a break lookin for deer and try calling one in? Based on the amount of track and a few kill Id say this area now has a wolf problem?

Do people target wolves with much success or is it luck most of the time.

hunter5
11-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Has anyone had any luck hunting wolves using a preditor call, if so which one? I am noticing alot of sign around kamloops where I didnt see it two years ago. Havent seen a wolf yet but lots of tracks.One things for sure, if I see one the lead will be flyin.
Bigfish, what area of kamloops did you see all sign?

todbartell
11-30-2009, 10:55 PM
shot three, here's pics of the last 2

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/Pictures_866.jpg

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/Jan_19_06_008.jpg

KB90
11-30-2009, 11:02 PM
shot three, here's pics of the last 2

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/photos/data/500/Pictures_866.jpg

Thats a nice looking wolf. What color was your first?

todbartell
11-30-2009, 11:08 PM
black one.

I howled in the first one with my voice, the 2nd called in with rabbit distress. the 3rd, with a combonation of coyote howls and rabbit distress.

KB90
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
black one.

I howled in the first one with my voice,

Thats Awesome! I'd be proud of that.

killman
11-30-2009, 11:16 PM
black one.

I howled in the first one with my voice,

Must have been tough with your voice just changing:-D.

Whooooooooooooo squeak whooooooooooo squeak whoooooooooooooo.

Gauge
11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
a good wolf is a dead wolf....

silvicon
12-01-2009, 08:17 AM
I had the same experience as guntech.
called moose, a group of about 5-7 came running through the bush;
following a cow trail. got one of them.
there are to many wolfes in BC, esp. in region 5.

grumpy
12-01-2009, 09:56 AM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/wolf5.jpg
heres a couple I killed in the early 80`s while hunting timber at nitnat lake vancouver island

xrunt
12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Region 5 glassing goats with my back to a river. splish, splish - there's an exhausted doe comin down. 2 minutes later splish, splish -wolf and big. 40 yards safety off and he hears it- with out missing a step he comes straight for me. Boom, dropped in the middle of the river.....

la river
12-03-2009, 03:55 AM

Nice good on ya!!!!!!!

hunter1947
12-03-2009, 06:14 AM
I have seen wolves but never had an opportunity to shoot one ,one day I might get lucky.

kootenayslam
12-03-2009, 08:33 AM
shot at 5 one morning this season, killed at least 3, skinned 2, after the shooting a big black alpha came back 2 miles away from the pack and snuck up within 20ft of me...we saw each other at the same time and he just stood there and stared at me, spun around with my rifle and let him have it, he lost that game, but i think he was out to get even with whatever wreaked havok on his pack.....probably 160lbs. then retreiving the grey female wolf an hour later i went in and there was a sow and cub grizzly bear on the kill allready, no wonder the mulies were cleared out...

mbariesheff
12-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I missed a really big brute of a black wolf!!! alpha for sure!! I judged it to be out at around 250 yds, had the gun sighted at 200 ........ shot .......... dirt literally right above the shoulders!!!!!!! that is why its time to get a range finder, if you even have time with wolves.... in my experience they don't stick around to long!!!

treeclimber
12-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I do tons of puppy hunting never called in a wolf, maybe this year! good show!

weatherby_man
12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Saw a couple near Cache Creek last year. By the time I got the rifle out they were 200-300 yrds out moving fast uphill. Took an off hand shot at one but missed. They hit the treeline howling and they howled for a few minutes out into the bush. Those howls were really chilling. I've heard lots in the bush here and Ontario. My bro worked on some forestry project in ON and a woman was killed at the camp there by a pack. If I ever see one, I'll shoot it.

gameslayer
12-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I have had a pack of wolves come into camp and fight over a moose head that they eventually carried away. That was an adrenaline rush.
Saw 3 this year one black one silver and one really thick stocky white one that we let all walk.
Had one bark at me for a good 20 minutes(could see his outline in the tree's) and follow us as we hiked out from a lake we were moose hunting.

BlacktailStalker
12-04-2009, 07:22 PM
weatherby man do you know of a link for that ?

weatherby_man
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
weatherby man do you know of a link for that ?

Link for what?

Gunner Staal
12-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Ive personally never shot one but have come across them alot. Not saying I would never take a shot, but im certainly not in the "kill em all" class that alot of guys seem to be. Being transplanted from the East Coast of Canada (where they dont exist) its an absolute treat to have them around. I know theres alot in British Columbia but thats just not the case everywhere else. Same goes for cougars. We should feel lucky to live in a place with the hunting diversity we have in B.C. The argument of...."they eat all the deer" is down right ignorant. Nature has always balanced itself out and theres bound to be good years and bad. I highly doubt if we stopped shooting wolves deer would dissapear from the earth.

redcomet
12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Do you mind if I ask why?

Too me it's a no brainer. Even if I had no use for the wolf I would still shoot it.

Going out and seeing a bunch of deer and having successful hunting every year is a lot better than seeing no deer and getting a glimpse of the ever elusive wolf.

Hey Kyle, I'm glad to see you are such a keen hunter, and doing so well lately. Good stuff!

I would just like to point out a good read, it's from Aldo Leopold's book, A Sand County Almanac, the chapter is "Thinking Like A Mountain", check it out by searching the web. Something to think about.

That being said, I'm not against shooting wolves, I think we should manage our predators just as we manage our other big game animals.

Good poll. Although, Although, I'd also be interested how many repsonses you would have got if you also added the "had an opportunity to shoot a wolf but did not take it"?? It seems there have been a few responses pointing this out on here.

By the way, I voted in the "had a chance but did not get the opportunity", I was sitting on a tree stand and heard something behind me and thought "those damn squirrels" and turned to see a black wolf only 16yds away, but by the time I reached for my bow and turned, it was aleady cruising around me in a big circle in the thick bush. No chance!

Hank Hunter
12-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Weatherby man I think blacktail is referring to the woman killed by wolves.

Quote "But because there has never been a documented case of a wolf killing a human in the wild in North America, it's difficult to determine what a fatal wolf attack would look like"

KB90
12-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey Kyle, I'm glad to see you are such a keen hunter, and doing so well lately. Good stuff!

Good poll. Although, Although, I'd also be interested how many repsonses you would have got if you also added the "had an opportunity to shoot a wolf but did not take it"?? It seems there have been a few responses pointing this out on here.

Thanks!

I realize now I should have put that as a choice, but it never even crossed my mind. I assumed everyone would take the shot if the opportunity presented itself, and I can see I was wrong.

Thanks for the book information I will defiantly look into it.

By the way I do respect everyones decision on the subject I just had never heard of a hunter who wouldn't shoot a wolf, that is why I asked, and now I know :)

BlacktailStalker
12-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Wolves, smoke a pack a day.

Steeleco
12-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Seen and heard quite a few, but they're in Reg 8. Just not allowed to bag one. YET!!

mainland hunter
12-04-2009, 10:14 PM
We had a pack come into camp one night, it was pretty intense. I've seen them while hunting but have no desire to shoot one, I have nothing against shooting one, just don't want to myself.