PDA

View Full Version : baiting predators ??

betteroffishing
11-29-2009, 07:27 PM
reading the big buck magazine article on the giant wolf harvested in alberta last year got me wondering , what motivation created this crazy rule and are we the only province to have it ??

KB90
11-29-2009, 07:33 PM
what rule?

The only predator you can't bait in BC is a bear.

Your allowed to bait everything else

Cowboyhq
11-29-2009, 07:47 PM
I coyote hunt daily and I am more successful calling, bears and wolves....bait all the way! BTW, I live in Alberta and you can only bait bears in the spring and all other animals such as deer etc, are not allowed to be baited.

KB90
11-29-2009, 07:57 PM
I coyote hunt daily and I am more successful calling, bears and wolves....bait all the way! BTW, I live in Alberta and you can only bait bears in the spring and all other animals such as deer etc, are not allowed to be baited.

Can't bait bears in BC but you can bait deer

Squamch
11-29-2009, 08:06 PM

you can always sit and watch a conveniently located gutpile though:tongue:

Steeleco
11-29-2009, 08:11 PM
you can always sit and watch a conveniently located gutpile though:tongue:

Not if you know it's there already! It's a dumb rule, but it's still a rule. :wink:

Squamch
11-29-2009, 08:28 PM
can't use a gutpile you knew about coming into the bush, but you must be allowed to watch one you find while out there? Otherwise sitting on a likely looking meadow with some good berry bushes would be baiting wouldn't it?

sorry if these are stupid questions that have been asked before.

Steeleco
11-29-2009, 08:36 PM
The debate over the legality of sitting on a found gut pile has been ongoing for a long time. There is no practical difference between somebodies left overs or a salmon stream, or any number of fruit bearing plants. But the gut pile is a no no, once your aware of it's existence.

snareman1234
11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Where is the line drawn between bait and scent?

Because I could bring in a gallon of salmon oil I rendered down myself as a scent, and then pack it back out couldn't I. or is that bait?

martyonthewater
11-29-2009, 09:14 PM
sounds to me like no survival kit is complete without a litre of pancake syrop

leadpillproductions
11-29-2009, 09:18 PM
you can bait bears in ab but not all regions , I think why were not allowed would be you might bring in g-bears . Thats is the reason for some regions in ab .

Big7
11-29-2009, 09:20 PM
If you need bait in BC to kill a black bear, you have other issues you need to deal with...how hard is it to kill a bear? Really?

hunter1947
11-30-2009, 06:42 AM

I put oats out and I get deer and bears come in to eat it ????? :roll:.

betteroffishing
11-30-2009, 08:57 AM
the gyst of the story was while this guy and a buddy were sitting there watching their bait station they passed on multiple bears , heard what they thaught were coyotes just ouit of sight and then this wolf came in . how cool would that be for a day of buddy hunting ?? have harvested 2 bears in 2 years of buying tags and while they were small , they were the only bears i saw those two trips . it sure would be nice to be able to comfortably pass on as many small ones that i see confident that there is a bigger one gonna show. and while i see their tracks every outting , i have yet to actually see a wolf with my own eyes in the wild . thats all.

bridger
11-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Where is the line drawn between bait and scent?

Because I could bring in a gallon of salmon oil I rendered down myself as a scent, and then pack it back out couldn't I. or is that bait?

I think it would be legal if you showered in it.

KB90
11-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I think it would be legal if you showered in it.

Hahaha now that's a good suggestion! You'd have them running right to yah ;):tongue:

farside
11-30-2009, 12:25 PM
the gyst of the story was while this guy and a buddy were sitting there watching their bait station they passed on multiple bears , heard what they thaught were coyotes just ouit of sight and then this wolf came in . how cool would that be for a day of buddy hunting ?? .

Not quite the story I have heard but heck it sounds better than the other one. Little bit of the truth and a little bit of the lie ALWAYS sounds better on paper lol.

betteroffishing
11-30-2009, 05:16 PM
i have the big buck mag in front of me and while i have shortened it from 3 pages with pictures in down to 3 lines i assure you , thats pretty much the story from the shooters perspective . care to fill me in on the real story and how you came about your insider info??