PDA

View Full Version : mulies, elevation, rut and summer :)

twoSevenO
11-29-2009, 06:43 PM
So .... How do you find the mulies like to play with elevation during the year?
Spend summers down low, or up high? Always up high?
Up high, but down low for the rut? down low, but up high for rut? What's your take on it.

The reason i ask, is that like other newbies, i see deer around, then come back a few weeks later and *poof*, they're gone :shock:

I hope to see some good contribution to this Jelvis-style post :)

twoSevenO
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM
no theories on muley hangouts and elevation???

:( :(

frenchbar
11-30-2009, 09:18 PM
rut ..both high and low ..a lot of the deer in the Camels foot range rut around 6000 ft level..

horshur
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
at any time there can be deer at every elevation that they can live.....somtimes stupid high in deep snow steep slope in January and in July a valley bottom alfafa field in the similkameen when it's near 40c

Some herds migrate long distances and will move early from summer range while others will winter in those summer ranges...some never move very far ever.

Reality is they are pretty diverse.

landphil
11-30-2009, 09:19 PM
My theory on mulies is when you have a late season doe draw for a high elevation region you won't even see a fresh track up high, but will have to drive past many of the damn critters on the way up and down from your area (in a different region). I have tested my theory extensively this past month and it is now scientific fact. Forgive me if I sound bitter about not being able to fill my doe draw that ended today, I'm just that; BITTER:wink:

mark
11-30-2009, 09:22 PM
no theories on muley hangouts and elevation???

:( :(

Thats all you might get is theorys, nature has no rules, no-one has them totally figured out.
As soon as you think ya do they throw ya a curve ball.
Thats why we have to HUNT for them! :wink:

twoSevenO
11-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Thats all you might get is theorys, nature has no rules, no-one has them totally figured out.

damn it! i was afraid someone would confirm my speculations :(

*sigh* .... back to the drawing board :mrgreen:

Buckmeister
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
In my area we a have lots of mountain with some good alpine. Lots of deer up high right on top during the summer time and then the really deep snow starts to drive them down, right before or around the time of the rut. However, they sometimes don't come down very far. Was shed hunting this last spring in an area that was at least waist deep snow all winter. There were trails everywhere just littered black with dropings. The wintering areas tend to have a southern exposure and have a good supply of old growth fir trees (a good food source for them).
Now, having said that, last fall I was at a friends house that was situated in the middle of an 8 km wide valley. His house sat atop a benched plateau that wasn't far from another higher bench, but not a mountain by any means. His house was surrounded by fields. I sat on his porch and observed a group of 8 mulie does with one buck romping about in the field below. He was decent sized 4 point with about a 150 to 160 frame. That area was his home. I've been told there is other mulies in that same area.
But generaly, the only time I see mulies down low is in the spring, as the snow melts, they move up higher. You might catch does down lower during anytime of the year, but the nicer, bigger boys will stay as high as they can.
Thats kinda what it's like in my area.

Steeleco
11-30-2009, 09:48 PM

Till the last line, I thought you were talking about women!!!!!!

mark
11-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Till the last line, I thought you were talking about women!!!!!!

What threw ya off with the last line????:confused:
When I was single thats all I did! :-D

dana
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Mark hit the nail on the head. It's a giant puzzle and each time you think you found a piece that fits, another one gets lost in the mess. Been at this game for a long time and sometimes I feel I'm no furthur ahead than when I started. That's what makes it so much fun. :)

Islandeer
11-30-2009, 11:38 PM
What threw ya off with the last line????:confused:
When I was single thats all I did! :-D

The old spot and stalk days. a little rattlin with some scent used to produce ...

Islandeer
11-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Mark hit the nail on the head. It's a giant puzzle and each time you think you found a piece that fits, another one gets lost in the mess. Been at this game for a long time and sometimes I feel I'm no furthur ahead than when I started. That's what makes it so much fun. :)

Any one who wants to get serious about hunting big muley bucks pay attention to what Mark and Dana just said. They are where you find them,the tricky part is being where "them" is.