PDA

View Full Version : Todays Hunt

heyblast
11-28-2009, 06:45 PM
So who got out today and how did it go. I got skunked, I didn't get out till 8:30 spent three hours seeing nothing but a Bufflehead hen that landed in the decoys and then left. The only other ducks of course came in when I was packing up, but that's nothing new for ducks to do. Oh well there's still a little less than 2 months yet, lots of hunting yet.:neutral:

kennyj
11-28-2009, 07:32 PM
I got out into the timber in the rain and fog and got a beauty.I wish I could have got him a month ago.I'll post a story when I get the photos.
kenny

Marc
11-28-2009, 11:33 PM
I went out with Shotgun John & Tanya this morning. It was a slow morning with 3 mallards and 3 teal between the 3 of us. Hoping for better luck tomorrow.

Steeleco
11-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Buckwheat and I spent the last hour of light with Dutchie, Novablast and Mr.Dean. We spectated as they hunted ducks. One minute nothing, next minute, balls out shooting!! They got 4 between them. Sure looks like fun.

Now the kid wants a shotty!!!!

Richter313
11-29-2009, 12:38 AM
I went out today to a local field thinking with the weather the way it was that i was in for a good shoot, but as it turned out it wasnt a very productive night, it was however not a total loss as i had two shovellers sink into the decoys and i folded them both up! Dont see to many of them around so it made a wet cold night very worth it. Richter

field marshal
11-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice going Richter:-D
Were any of the Spoonbills drakes??
I happen to think the drakes, are the prettiest of all dabblers!!
That includes Woodies too!!
Good shooting, Field Marshal.

Mik
11-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Buckwheat and I spent the last hour of light with Dutchie, Novablast and Mr.Dean. We spectated as they hunted ducks. One minute nothing, next minute, balls out shooting!! They got 4 between them. Sure looks like fun.

Come on dad, Christmas is coming up fast...Buck Up:razz:

field marshal
11-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I hope you've got a good job and lots of time Steelco :mrgreen:
Looking forward to another junior waterfowler and his posts:confused:
Good luck. Cheers Field Marshal.

longshot
11-29-2009, 04:59 PM
I went out with Shotgun John & Tanya this morning. It was a slow morning with 3 mallards and 3 teal between the 3 of us. Hoping for better luck tomorrow.

Hey Marc,

Well you guys did better than us! My dad and I went to 3 differernt spots today and only one widgeon drake came home with us today. :( We set up in our first spot with 20 minutes to time. Ducks were everywhere!! Then legal time hit and only a solo widgeon commit to our spread. Then that was it! Nothing was flying! So we packed up real fast and drove off. On the way to our 2nd spot we ran into some HBC'ers. They didn't have too much luck either. And our 2 other spots were completly empty. :icon_frow

We still had fun as always!

Longshot jr.

Marc
11-29-2009, 08:22 PM
We did a bit of scouting after the shoot yesterday looking to see if we could locate the birds for a shoot on Sunday. We saw a bunch of ducks rafted up at the bay but not in any fields.

Tanya, Shotgun John, and one of their friends and I ended up going out again this morning in a different location but the only birds that committed to the decoys were a pair of mallards that dropped in and left 10 minutes before legal time. We never fired off a shell.

bsa30-06
11-29-2009, 08:30 PM

Your going to need a second job to help support that kids habit:-D

proguide66
11-29-2009, 08:41 PM
I got out into the timber in the rain and fog and got a beauty.I wish I could have got him a month ago.I'll post a story when I get the photos.
kenny
NO TEASIN KEN !!!:tongue:

heyblast
11-29-2009, 08:45 PM
So far it looks like the hunting was not that great this week-end. Most likely a result of all the rain. The upcoming forcast for the week is mostly sunny, with night time freezing Thur. and Fri. in the Lower Mainland. That should dry some of the puddles up and help us out. Good Luck next time out.

Ian F.
11-29-2009, 09:52 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_4320.jpg

Had a good couple of days, mixed bag of mallards, pintail, widgeon, woodies and greenwings

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_4296.jpg

All the rain though has made most trips into mud-humps, with conditions changing overnight!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_4316.jpg

Bird lately are doing lots of looking but just don't seem to want to finish consistently... I did learn about Widgeon rain today.... When the big flocks that have been gorging on winter wheat and rye need to relieve themselves, they do! Nothing like liquid green goo falling from the heavens.

Very best,

Ian

Dano
11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
So far it looks like the hunting was not that great this week-end. Most likely a result of all the rain. The upcoming forcast for the week is mostly sunny, with night time freezing Thur. and Fri. in the Lower Mainland. That should dry some of the puddles up and help us out. Good Luck next time out.

It was slow today in the marsh with not too many birds around. Lots of water out there too, my blind is flooded with at least 4" of water over my ankles! The dog stands on the bench, we have to stack all our gear on there too.
Three of us dropped 7 mallards and a couple widgeon today, yesterday I was out solo and I got 8 of the 11 mallards that came my way (all singles except one pair I doubled on).
The fields drying out should help as should the freezing of whatever is left on them. Hoping for a better shoot next weekend (maybe wednesday....).
Dan
Nice woodies Ian!

heyblast
11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
I guess I spoke too soon, I knew Dano had a good morning Sat. and Sunday dosn't sound too bad either. Those are some nice looking Wood Ducks Ian, I haven't seen any for about a month now and duck goo is better than Gull goo. I just had a look at the weather forcast and next week is headed to the deep freeze. I hope we don't get a repeat of last year or the marsh could done for year again.

rochford313
12-07-2009, 01:42 AM
The 313 crew was out in full force in South Surrey this morning. After the latest Arctic front prospects were not great for birds but it was a good acid test for testing clothing choices for winter and a chance to improve the ever morphing blind. As we pulled in a flight of five ducks quartered in from behind us so things were looking good. Unfortunately that and a large loose V of migrators that I couldn't get the glasses out fast enough to ID were the only in fowl we saw. Stomping ice can only suffice the shoot for so long, on the drive home swung by the foreshore and saw it packed with birds, one wonders with continued cold spells for how long?