PDA

View Full Version : Jerky in the oven?

No Tag Soup Please
11-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Well I have a chunk of Elk Roast thawing right now. I have a sweet marinade worked up ;) I'm going to marinade it over night and then try and make jerky in the oven...

Has anyone done this before? Looking for some advice on size to cut the strips into, thickness ect. And also what temperature and time to cook it at. I heard cook it at around 180 degree F. for about 3 hours?

Any advice would be great, thanks alot :)

leadpillproductions
11-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey I Might Just Try That Tonight Also

No Tag Soup Please
11-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Sweet 100 posts.

Would it work to put it on a cookie sheet? or should I just put it onto the racks and put a cookie sheek underneat incase of drips? I have a cookie sheet that has slices cut into it. Some kind of fancy thing for air flow I think haha.

lip_ripper00
11-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Well I have a chunk of Elk Roast thawing right now. I have a sweet marinade worked up ;) I'm going to marinade it over night and then try and make jerky in the oven...

Has anyone done this before? Looking for some advice on size to cut the strips into, thickness ect. And also what temperature and time to cook it at. I heard cook it at around 180 degree F. for about 3 hours?

Any advice would be great, thanks alot :)

I would cut it about 1/4 thick marinade over night but keep the heat lower, once the meat temp is 140, 150, turn oven off and let air dry.
My 2 cents good luck

lip_ripper00
11-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Sweet 100 posts.

Would it work to put it on a cookie sheet? or should I just put it onto the racks and put a cookie sheek underneat incase of drips? I have a cookie sheet that has slices cut into it. Some kind of fancy thing for air flow I think haha.

I would use racks lets air circulate better

westhoyt
11-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey , I have been makeing it in a dehydrator, works really good.

No Tag Soup Please
11-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey , I have been makeing it in a dehydrator, works really good.

Yeah I wish I had one.. Christmas is coming soon though :D:D Yeah i'll set the oven to as low as I can. How long do you guys think I should keep it in there?

Squirrelnuts
11-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Racks for sure. You can hang them from toothpicks off of your oven racks or use cake cooling racks (your wife will be impressed)... just put a pan underneath them. I do mine at 170 degrees (as low as my oven will go) and I leave the door open a few inches.

3 hours seems a bit short? I can't recall.... Just check them often and you'll be fine.

No Tag Soup Please
11-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Racks for sure. You can hang them from toothpicks off of your oven racks or use cake cooling racks (your wife will be impressed)... just put a pan underneath them. I do mine at 170 degrees (as low as my oven will go) and I leave the door open a few inches.

3 hours seems a bit short? I can't recall.... Just check them often and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the tips! Do I have to flip them over or anything? Or just leave them in there until they feel dry? I hope this all works out :D

Squirrelnuts
11-28-2009, 04:20 PM
No need to flip them, as long as they're exposed to air all around they'll be fine. You can usually tell how "done" they are by just giving them a twist and seeing how pliable they are and how easy they tear apart. You'll know when they're right, and at those low temperatures you've got a pretty big window of time. Have fun, it's an awesome way to use up tough roasts.

wrenchhead
11-28-2009, 05:01 PM
ya for sure do them on the racks with a cookie sheet underneath. it wont cook right on the sheet.
another good tip is to pat the strips dry before you put them in the oven.

No Tag Soup Please
11-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! Should I marinate it over night? This meat looks like it will fall apart if I marinate it that long haha.

lip_ripper00
11-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! Should I marinate it over night? This meat looks like it will fall apart if I marinate it that long haha.

Make sure you cut with the grain:wink:

Rackaholic
11-28-2009, 05:23 PM
I made some jerky in the oven a few weeks ago, and it's amazing!
Yes, do marinate overnight, the meat toughens as it marinates.
And when you dry it in the oven, put the oven on very low heat, as low as you can get it, and leave the door open a bit to let the moisture escape. Do this until the jerky is dry, but dont overdo it, you should still be able to bend the jerky, if it cracks, it's too dry.
Thin pieces dry quicker, so you might want to take those out first when they're done, and leave the thicker ones in a bit longer.

No Tag Soup Please
11-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Toughens as it marinates? I though you marinate to make things more tender??

OOBuck
11-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Check this site out...

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=5612&highlight=jerky

Phil A. Bowl
11-28-2009, 05:44 PM
put a quarter or loonie side ways in the door so it will stay open about an inch, not the three inches most doors stall at for broil!

No Tag Soup Please
11-28-2009, 09:40 PM
So I cut it 1/4 inch thick. Marinaded for like 30 minutes.. To excited to wait haha. Put it in the over at around 170 degrees for 3 hours. Bent it and it was just perfect texture, didnt crumble up but just about cracked right in half. Tasted a hot piece and it was pretty amazing for my first time. Going to let the rest cool off over night and have some tomorrow. By then the girlfriend will be home and can try some aswell.

Jager
11-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I just want to add that I've made jerky from ground meat (lean!) as well. Add desired spices mix well and place between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Flaten to desired thickness with a rolling pin, remove top layer of paper, place a bakers cooling rack (or similar) on top then gently flip over and remove remaining paper. Stick it in the oven at lowest setting (mine is 170) and prop open the door ( I use a wooden spoon). I dry it as a big sheet and then cut it into strips when it's done. It may not be as tough and chewy like other jerky but it's still pretty good and may be a little kinder to the older guys teeth :-) I find it easier to control the thickness too as cutting meat to jerky thiness is a bit of an art (it helps if the roast is partially frozen). Good luck and I hope there's some left by the time your girlfriend gets home.

leadpillproductions
11-30-2009, 10:05 AM
what is everyone useing for there marinates

johnes50
11-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Go to the hardware store and buy 1/4 inch screen and cut it 3-4 inches bigger then your oven rack. Fold the edges under so there are no sharp edges when you grab it. It's cheap and works real good.

I used to wet marinate, but I just dry rub it now and let it sit over night. It takes a lot less time to dry now and tastes just as good. I bought the jerky cure from Wally World and it works good. I add a few more spices I like.

Put a soup spoon in the door to keep it open a crack. You want the heat in, but the moisture out so just open it a crack.

My dog Kodiak, the one in the Avatar, ate a whole batch once when it was cooling on the dining room table.:icon_frow He's gone now, but that was the only time he ever got a kick in the bum, and he knew why.

leadpillproductions
11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
how long will jerky last if vac sealed say on a back pack trip

Squirrelnuts
11-30-2009, 01:39 PM

It'll outlast you :)

Evolution
12-02-2009, 08:59 AM
I bought a dehydrator from Canadian Tire last week- 49.99 for the Salton brand. I followed the recipe from the book that came with it and did 4 deer roasts with it. The things I learned so far are-

trim off all fat, tendons and sinew- they make it taste like crap
try to slice it as uniform as possible, if you want it a 1/4" thick , cut it all 1/4" thick, I prefer 1/8 to 3/16. Also I have a slicer that works well for this. Dont forget to slice with the grain.

Anyways the recipe as it is in my little book-
450 g of Lean sliced meat
125 ml cup of Soya
30 ml Worcestershire
10 ml Brown Sugar
1 clove of Garlic
3 ml salt
Pepper to Taste

Marinade for 6-8 hours, Drain meat and place on trays. Dry for approx 10-12 hours. Meat will be bendable and pliable when ready.

There is also another recipe that I havent tried yet-

Spicy Jerky Marinade
10 ml each- Chili powder, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, salt
5 ml Brown Sugar
3 ml Cayenne Pepper
250 ml Water
900 grams Lean Meat sliced 1/8" thick

In my last batch I added some Fennel seed and molasses just for something different. Boy is this stuff good.

goatdancer
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Doesn't anybody use cure in their recipes? Any of the pre-packaged jerky mixes always have a cure as well as spices.

d6dan
12-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Doesn't anybody use cure in their recipes? Any of the pre-packaged jerky mixes always have a cure as well as spices.

I bought this jerky mix in the states. check out there website.

www.spicenslice.com (http://www.spicenslice.com)

303Brit
12-02-2009, 11:51 PM

I think you'll find that recipes that don't have a specific "Cure" in them either by name or # , will have a certain amount of salt. Which aids in the the curing of the meat and drawing out of the flavours.

budismyhorse
12-03-2009, 12:03 AM

it lasts a long time (plenty long enough for your trip) if you make sure its dried right out before you seal it up. To be safe, wrap enough for a day or two and bring a enough packs for a 2 week trip and you'll be laughin.

I brought 4 packs on a 2 week hunt and it worked out well. Brought some home even.