PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 mule deer success poll

Gateholio
11-28-2009, 10:24 AM
With new regulations this year, How was your mule deer success in Region 5

You can make multiple choices on this poll

"opportunity" to kill a buck shall be defined as "you saw a buck" It might have been 500 yards away or it might have run off before you could put down your Timmys, jump out of the heated truck, load you r rifle and shoot it, but you saw it. :)

deer nut
11-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Passed on a 2 point in any buck season hoping to tag a Chilcotin monster. No suck luck. Saw one, but they are cagey! Had 4 chances on small bucks the day it changed to 4 point or better! Of course, a nice buck was bedded within spittin' distance of the Gang Ranch road on the way home.....(do they ever allow hunters there? Is it worth asking?)

Lots of hunters, but (thankfully) none seemed very willing to walk - I only ran into other people near roads!!

I hear there are lots of hunters in your back yard now - they all saw the bucks ProGuide 66 lead guys you to & raced off to Pemberton. Next year could be a zoo there!

shaner338
11-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Seen more wolf tracks than deer thiis year!!

Cyrus
11-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Both me and my dad got four points. We passed on several spikers and one 2 point. There was lots of wolf sign as well where we were hunting. We found lots of skeletal remains of deer in the sticks, most of which appeared to be fawns.Took a poke at one but missed. He would not give me another shot! Those things can RUN!!

barry6.5x55
11-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Hunted in 5-2 around Big lake , very little in the bush but tons of deer on
posted land around the community so the deer can read haha.
Now they have cougars patrolling the community I even seen one
by the Hwy on may in.

Buck
11-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I was up during bow season had a shot at a spike and missed.Stalked a big three point but was not able to get close enough.Never saw a 4 point.
Great thread idea

EvanG
11-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Still holding out, it aint over yet. Dee arer still moving called in a 3 pt today.

Squirrelnuts
11-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Got a little dink of a buck, I didn't want to shoot him but I'd hunted my ass off and the way things were looking I might not have had another opportunity. Got my doe last week and had to hunt like a bugger for that, even.

I've been working in areas that used to be filthy with deer and now there's nothing but wolf tracks and the odd deer track. Lots of hunters coming up empty this year.

Doe Eyes
11-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Didnt see any deer at all in the normal hunting spots...has been declining the past couple years but nothing this year.
Got a doe on some private land that we have access to or else we wouldnt have gotten anything. Saw lots of does...no fawns and no bucks....not good.

steelheadSABO
11-28-2009, 02:16 PM
had one great day saw about 20 grouse 1 doe and shot a buck and than hunted for about four days and got a doe

Brian011
11-28-2009, 02:38 PM
just shot a nice 4x3 yesterday around 100 mile in my spot, first nice buck ive seen in region 5 this year. im just working on posting a thread with pics for him

hillclimber
11-28-2009, 03:54 PM
filled my doe tag in 5-1

jasper
11-28-2009, 05:40 PM
passed up a couple small bucks and no luck in the four point season so far. got two days left see what happens. kid shot a two point and also filled out his leh draw today.saw nine does and not a buck around any of them.

Spy
11-28-2009, 07:26 PM
I had a doe tag for Nov that didn't get filled,due to the changes.I know of another 3 doe tags that will not be filled this season.I am bitter, I did not get a chance to hunt mulies this year.I would not have put in for the Leh had I known about the changes beforehand!

EvanG
11-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Had to work my bag off for my 5-14 doe. But now Iam seeing them daily just not in the usual places. Having pretty good results gettin off the beaten track on foot, still holding out though.

CanuckShooter
11-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Just home from a three day stop over in one of our old honey holes in 5-14 [Meldrum], did alot of walking, ground blinding and even climbed up a few trees and hung out.

I saw one high 2x2 and got busted by a good sized buck :icon_frowon a ground blind and two does total.

Of a note there were shots going off at 8pm...gotta be some poaching going on? AND there were a couple of yin-yangs blowing off rounds in prime time from around the main road area a couple days in a row. They would let of 15-20 rounds and then move a mile or so up the road and let er rip again??? Gotta wonder wtf was behind that?? Trying to scare the deer off?? Or just guys with too much ammo??

While I did see a few in the short time we were there, my partner saw nil...and the lack of tracks in the fresh snow on the drive out [thru Soda Creek-Moon Ranch] was a little eye opening only two deer crossings the whole way....5-14 just aint what it used to be IMO.

Fisher-Dude
11-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Didn't even go to region 5 this year. Anytail and I usually (used to) go every year. Our $1000 or so was lost to the already hard hit Cariboo small town economy. WTG Rodger Stewart. :mad:

dutchie
11-29-2009, 11:14 AM
with the responses so far... it seems that alot less people are shooting thier bucks in reg 5 this year

I am not really happy with reg 5 being shut down but with the response so far, do you think that it was warented?

Dutchie

ThinAir
11-29-2009, 07:20 PM
just shot a nice 4x3 yesterday around 100 mile in my spot, first nice buck ive seen in region 5 this year. im just working on posting a thread with pics for him

Do that.....but we need a story/pics of your freaking avatar pic too!!!!!:-D

Manglinmike
12-01-2009, 04:52 PM
I just got back from 5-14 my hunting buddy got a doe and I shot a 4x3,I .saw 7 buck in 3 days of hunting, and I did not see one other hunter in the bush.We talked to some fellas that had been there all week,on there regular deer trip and they missed a 4pt and seen no others.The area that I hunt dosnt have nearly the numbers of deer that it used to have,but if they continue to give out a million freakin doe draws it wont have any deer in the future.

12-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Spent two days around williams lake and didn't see a thing.

BuriedByTheDead
12-23-2009, 01:07 AM
why is everyone so against road hunting? its not like the deer arent there? im not saying its better or worse but man...people gotta calm down about it haha every thread is like anti-road hunting

xtremearchery
12-23-2009, 10:05 AM
after 15 years of hunting 5-2, I didn't even bother. The time of year our group always went up there the season was closed. "Rut Closure".

Stillhunting
12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I shot a 3 X 3 on the second day of my hunt in mid Oct., only minutes after my gun misfired on a larger buck. I think it was a dud bullet as there was a nice pinhole in the cartridge but no bang flop. My uncle shot a doe and a spork as well, but the hunt was a little tougher than previous years. Some of that was probably because of timing since we used to hunt the rut. The most concerning thing we noticed about the deer herds was the lack of fawns. Most of the does did not have fawns this year, when in years previous it was rare to see a dry doe, and lots of does had twins. Any ideas as to why this may be?

Magnumb
01-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Hunted an area of around 100 Mile that has been good to us for the past many years. Hunted harder than usual and ended up shooting a small 3 point on the FSR on the last evening. (Only buck we saw) We did see a half dozen does over the week and from talking to other hunters that we know in the area, not many moose taken as well.
Interesting to hear the different wolf track sightings. They seem to be doing well this season.

BillyBull
01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
My moose LEH happened at the same time as this new closure for bucks in November so very limited and only seen two bucks at maybe 500+ that were heading south.