PDA

View Full Version : Missing Buck Happy Ending!!

sparky300winmag
11-27-2009, 10:18 PM
I just came back from looking for my dog and my son spotted a huge buck out in a field.We saw some does nearby also.I turned the truck around to shine my head lights on it to see it and low and behold it WAS the buck i had hit a week and a half ago.He looked absolutley fine .Too be honest , i am extremely happy and hope to see him next year cause he is a freaking monster.

By the way i use an excalibur exocet , with 100 gr G5 broadheads , i have been practising for 1 1/2 yrs, i have never tried it on an animal until this one.I will be honest and say i would be a little nervous about trying it again.I thought it was an easy shot and thought when he laid down , that it was a done deal.I was obviously wrong.
I will also say i cannot believe some of the people on this site, some people are total s**t heads, and then again i have also received alot of helpful responses.I think some guys think they are gods gift to hunting.They chalk things up as unethical, because you may have a bad shot , wether it be Bow , crossbow or rifle.

I hope all you guys and gals continue to help those who ask for it cause the stories and advice are the reasons i log on to this site.All the negative s**t i could do with out.Thanks again for all the positive , informative posts.

leadpillproductions
11-27-2009, 10:21 PM
glad he made it threw , now go get him for real now

husky30-06
11-27-2009, 10:21 PM
GOOD SHOW!!!!! Just remember that you educated him, he could be harder to hit next time. Allthough I feel that just adds to the aspect of hunting I love.... THE CHASE!!!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Shooter
11-27-2009, 10:24 PM
great to hear. good job guys.

sparky300winmag
11-27-2009, 10:27 PM
By the way i also wanted to add my brother killed a huge moose with the excalibur a couple of months ago .One shot and it went 50 yds.Maybe that is why i was confident he was a done deal.I know shot placement is everything...I have learned something this year.

Spy
Im glad you found your buck. Its uncanny how things (buck) just appear when you are not expecting them to.
I remember reading your thread asking for advice & yes there are allot of Know it all dick heads wanting to fry your A$$,BUT EVEN MORE GOOD GUYS & GIRLS WILLING TO HELP.

Nooker77
Good news!!!!! Pm sent!!
Cheers

OOBuck
11-27-2009, 10:34 PM
By the way i also wanted to add my brother killed a huge moose with the excalibur a couple of months ago .One shot and it went 50 yds.Maybe that is why i was confident he was a done deal.I know shot placement is everything...I have learned something this year.

Don't give up! That crossbow is more than enough of a weapon. Next year, good luck.

Jelvis
11-27-2009, 10:35 PM
That's what makes those huge stud bucks so tough, heavy bone and muscle with testosterone, and a sharp tined rack to stab things with.
A normal sized or smaller one, do you think it would have missed clean on a littler deer, or it would have died from SHOCK.
Anyways I'm glad you saw the dominant buck again and he was watching you out of the corner of his eyeballs.
Good ending -- to everyone a good night -- sleep tight -- no bed bugz lol --
Jel -- another wounded buck livez on -- til next year --

d6dan
11-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Thats good news Sparky, You can rest easy now knowing he's okay. Go get him next year!!

humble hunter
11-27-2009, 11:05 PM
What a great feeling seeing him still alive and kicking. There is NO worse feeling than losing an animal even after you have done everything you could to find it. Onwards and upwards!

harbinger
11-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Cool, thanks for posting. I missed the other post, I could search it down but... did you see the bolt hit him for sure last time?
I've thought about getting a crossbow before so this is all great info/exp for me amigo! Cheers.

Buck
11-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Iwas wondering what happened to that thread.

Hank Hunter
11-28-2009, 01:07 AM
great post sparky, dont let that stop you using the bow. As for all the d***heads on this site ignore them. There are some truly amazing helpful people here.

cariboobill
11-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Sparky:

I bought a crossbow this year. I had never used one on an animal before. The first deer I shot at, felt like the arrow could not do the job or that I must have missed. After 100 yards he fell and the shot was were I aimed. There was no damage to the meat and the blood trail was real good.

The second deer was closer and I felt more confident as the first deer went smoothly. But the second deer I shot jumped a little and the shot was a little back. I recovered the deer and all was well.

What I have learned is it will take me a while to get used to the feel of shooting with a crossbow and be confident of each shot, like I am with my rifle.

Hope this helps. I like the crossbow and like the challenge of getting close.

CB

stitch
11-28-2009, 09:31 AM
That's great news....glad to hear that he made it. I watched the last thread and you are right....lots of hunters who like to crap on ya just for asking a question. I'm surprised no one jumped on you yet for shining your lights in the field and accuse you of pitlamping:lol:

deer nut
11-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Sh** happens. Good on you for following up....but there is still time in the season - why don't you try for him again??? GO FOR IT!!

On another note, lots of folks are wondering if crossbows shouldn't be allowed in archery season or alternately, should have their own season. Many hard-core archers think that, as a point and shoot weapon with much less practice required than a bow, crossbows offer an unfair advantage to rifle hunters in bow-only seasons). This is an age-old debate but as a new X-bow hunter, any thoughts on this?