PDA

View Full Version : The Lucky Horseshoe Buck!

KB90
11-27-2009, 09:46 PM
My Lucky Horseshoe, and My First 4 Point Buck!

So today started off by me sleeping in by 20 minutes, I pushed the sleep button one too many times....:???: I quickly got dressed and drove to my spot just to find someone parked there and already gone up...:cry: I was quite pissed at myself for ruining my morning cause I couldn't get my lazy a$$ out of bed. So I decided that I'd not write the day off and just drive around for a bit and check back and see if he leaves. So I drove around for 3 hours and the only thing I saw were 4 road hunters. All of which who also haven't seen a thing. So by around 11 oclock I figured I'd go check and see if that guy who was in my spot left, and luckily he had. So I parked my truck and started to walk. Not 50 yards in and I jump a bull moose it crashed and banged till out of sight, and grunted twice, well more like roared it was pretty cool I've never heard a moose grunt. So after that I realized I was walking to fast and loud for the conditions.

So I slowed down, the slowest I have ever walked in my life. It took me an hour and a half to get to my spot which normally would have taken 15 minutes. I would take 2-3 steps then stop for 30 seconds and I did this the whole way. So after about an hour I got the beginning of where I planned on hunting, and to my surprise the guy before me never entered the trail but just walked by.

So i started in walking painfully slow stopping often. I had made it in a little ways when something shiny caught my eye. I brushed the snow of it and it was a horseshoe! So I picked it up and put it in my backpack. I figured I have to get a deer now this is a sign.

So i kept moving I stopped to listen and I hear a grunt. (now this is the first time i've heard a deer vocalize it was pretty cool and exciting) So i hear this grunt so I duck down on my knees in the trail. Following the grunt the deer came crashing down the hill and through the bush. Talk about heart pounding! So I am all hunkered down and I can hear this deer grunting as its running getting closer and closer. It then crests a ridge and It lets out a long loud grunt. He is now at less than 40 yards. I can see he is a nice buck but could not confirm points. After a brief stop he started heading down the trail at a good trot and straight at me! He got to about 15-20 yards and hit the brakes. I thought O NO! he's spotted me Im screwed. But he just stared cocking his head side to side I dont think he could figure out what the heck I was. I wanted to shoot so bad but I could not confirm he had 4 points.

After what seemed like an eternity but was actually probably only 10-15 seconds he turned and was ready to flee. I had my crosshairs on his shoulder as he turned I counted 1........2........3.......4.....BOOM! He dropped instantly. I walked up and gave him another one and finished him off.

I couldn't believe it I just shot my first 4 point buck! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0212.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0185.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0187.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0192.jpg

When My dad came I got a picture with him too.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_01971.jpg

So I get on the phone and call my brother Tyler to let him no about my success. I then call my dad and he says he and my grandpa will come with the 4 wheeler to haul it out. So Im sitting there waiting for them to come. And all of a sudden I hear more crashing and crunching coming straight for me. Could this really be? I watch and out of the brush comes another big buck. He was on the move he trotted right by me at 50 yards and never even seen me or stopped. I was kinda disappointed my dad wasn't there yet cause he too could have had a nice buck...o well

So after this all unfolds I'm still waiting and I hear a gunshot off in the distance a little ways. I thought o cool someone else got lucky. Shortly after the shot my dad drives up on the quad and says that some guy just shot a big 4 point right on the main trail. Total of 3 big bucks in 20 minutes pretty cool! So on the way out I snapped some pics of his buck and we hooked it on to the quad and drug them out together. I get to talking to the guy and he shot this buck with a tiny short 16 gauge and a slug at 90 yards. It was his first muley buck and it too was a nice one.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0202.jpg

Overall it was amazing day and one I will never forget, my first 4 point buck! I am planning on going with a european mount. I also have that horseshoe and I plan on shinning it up and keeping it forever.

Thanks for reading. :mrgreen:

frenchbar
11-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Good story! great buck ..good going guy!!congratz.

deer nut
11-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Way to go!! Looks like you have a bright hunting future ahead!

The Dawg
11-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Congrats Kyle- one hell of a buck , first or not!

Bow Walker
11-27-2009, 09:52 PM
That is one serious 1st time buck! Congratulations.

leadpillproductions
11-27-2009, 09:53 PM
congrads kyle glad to here you got one . Hopefully we can get together next fall for that elk hunt

husky30-06
11-27-2009, 09:55 PM
very nice big guy.... :-D:-D

Big Banger
11-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Well done!! Good story and nice pictures!

The Hermit
11-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Good for you! Thats a great story with the horseshoe... congratulations!!!

olharley guy
11-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Howdy, that must have been some exciting day. Congratulations on that great buck. Later!

Jagermeister
11-27-2009, 10:22 PM
That's a great buck Kyle. I think I recognize the area.

Blainer
11-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Great looking buck there young feller.
Good on ya!

live-for-the-rut
11-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Good on you....nice buck!!

Nooker77
11-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Great story and pics Kyle Congrats on a super first 4x4!! Cheers!:)

jml11
11-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Cool story! At this time of year I sleep in on purpose and let the morning crowds move on before even heading out. It has payed off with with good success for deer.

Triggerman
11-27-2009, 10:43 PM
What a great story and congrats on your success!

d6dan
11-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Great Job Kyle!:-D, thats a nice buck and some really good pics!. You should mount that horseshoe with the antler?.:wink:

hotload
11-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Well Kyle, your sure starting to be quite a mainstay around this site. your stories and pictures are more than delightful. I'm sure you are reminding a lot of the members just what they were like at your age, and you don't see it very much anymore. I'm sure a lot of members wish that their kids would take to hunting the way you have and go at it with as much dedication and fervor as you do. Very interesting how you come on the different posts looking for valuable information and using it to your advantage. I have come across a lot of kids your age and it is for myself trully a little difficult to catch just where they are coming from most of the time, and so I walk away and think not so good thoughts about them sometimes. You are like a breath of fresh air and I am sure you are growing on a few people around here. Keep up the good work. Good to have ya around. Oh and by the way, nice deer.

PGK
11-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Dude man. So they do exist!? Nice job, closest I got today was a nice 5pt shed. I think I know that spot ;)

300win
11-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Good on you, Great first buck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

killman
11-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Congrats kyle, your having a great year.

Jelvis
11-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Way to go hunter, real hefty buck you got there and massive rack, wow you did good--you got a spot to go to --
Jelne$$

SteadyGirl
11-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Wow, love the story, the buck, the horseshoe, your youthful smile and love the black and white pic. Huge congrats to you!! Euros are fun and fairly easy to do, a bit time consuming is all. Best of Luck on your next hunting adventure

JoshCampbell
11-27-2009, 11:36 PM
i shot a buck 2 years ago right where your quad is parked, did u get your big buck on the horse trail? anyways that is a dandy buck !!

Hank Hunter
11-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Way to go Kyle, hope I can do the same thing this weekend. Where you in 5 or 7

kwasky
11-28-2009, 12:26 AM
nice buck. way to go kyle.

pete_k
11-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Holy Hell! A Horseshoe? Really?
There was no way you were leaving the bush empty handed that day.
Good story! Gooder Buck!

hunter1947
11-28-2009, 06:23 AM
way to go on getting the job done young feller ,that is a dandy buck you are holding on to ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

kennyj
11-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Congratulations! What a great day you had.I really enjoyed your story and photos.Great buck.
kenny

Brambles
11-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Sounds like a productive day, nice job, must have been exciting to hear that buck coming in grunting, do you think the second buck you seen was the one that got shot on the road when you dad was coming in?

proguide66
11-28-2009, 08:50 AM
wayyy to go Young Man !!!

doubled
11-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Right on Kyle. I have to agree it is quite a feeling when they come crashing into you and are literally a few fet away cocking their head looking.

chola
11-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Nice buck and a fantastic story.....:mrgreen:

Cyrus
11-28-2009, 09:14 AM
That was a great story and a great buck! My buddy up in the Q shot a monster in that same area a few years back! At least you did not have to wait as long as I did to get that 4 pointer!! Congrats!

bruin
11-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Very cool, congrats

Mik
11-28-2009, 11:06 AM
great lookin buck,congrats on your first 4 pionter.

Phil
11-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Well written story Kyle. One heck of a nice buck too. Congratulations!

Grumpa Joe
11-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Great story Kyle. What a fabulous buck, four point muley with brow tines. Way to stay patient, that is often the hardest thing to do.

How much would a shoulder mount cost? That buck is one that you should seriously think of doing as a shoulder mount instead of a European mount. I did a European mount on my '08 4 point muley buck and although it looks great I regret not doing it up a litlle better especially it being my first 4 pointer.

Congratulations,

Frontier

KB90
11-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Sounds like a productive day, nice job, must have been exciting to hear that buck coming in grunting, do you think the second buck you seen was the one that got shot on the road when you dad was coming in?

Nope it definitely wasn't the same buck.

It was too far away and going the opposite direction. The time between me seeing it and hearing the shot was maybe 10 minutes.

KB90
11-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Way to go Kyle, hope I can do the same thing this weekend. Where you in 5 or 7

Region 5 :)

KB90
11-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Great story Kyle. What a fabulous buck, four point muley with brow tines. Way to stay patient, that is often the hardest thing to do.

How much would a shoulder mount cost? That buck is one that you should seriously think of doing as a shoulder mount instead of a European mount. I did a European mount on my '08 4 point muley buck and although it looks great I regret not doing it up a litlle better especially it being my first 4 pointer.

Congratulations,

Frontier

I would love too! but school is too expensive and I cant afford a shoulder mount right now maybe in a couple years when I have a job and some cash flow I can get a cape and do it.

Laurence_Erickson
11-28-2009, 06:12 PM
great looking buck kyle congrats

Rattler
11-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Sounds like an exciting hunt. Congrats.

steelheadSABO
11-28-2009, 09:06 PM
sound like a fun day nice buck and thats pretty crazy the guy getting it with a short 16 gauge it would be cool if you mounted the horseshoe with the antlers

KB90
11-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments!

Now I can't wait for next year to do it all over again!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0188.jpg