PDA

View Full Version : Dead buck side of road

pete_k
11-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Has a good little set of rattlers on him.
Am I allowed to take them?
The carcass would have to be moved further into the ditch.
Very busy highway.

ElkMasterC
11-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Apparently only Trappers (licensed) can take road kill, and ONLY if it wasn't killed by their own vehicle ;-)
Guess that keeps all the trappers from running down moose with the Fords.
The only antlers you're supposed to keep are sheds, which are considered no longer the part of an animal, since it was discarded.

Or........ :rolleyes:

yukon john
11-27-2009, 01:07 PM
I believe you can get a permit for somethimg like that from the MOE but its like 70 bucks and the value of the antlers (or horns or dead animal parts etc) cannot exceed 200 dollars or they take it away and you can buy them in a auction

Steeleco
11-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I got this a few years back, the fees may have increased??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG_1476-1.jpg

Not much value to it unless you can save some meat for a dog or something?

pete_k
11-27-2009, 03:34 PM
I just had the CO call me back. He says OK if it's obvious highway kill He said the previous law was that you had to pay the fee and this rule is new.

Hope it is still there after I get off work. I'm not sure on the size, but they looked good enough (albiet I was driving by at 90kph).

Steeleco
11-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I like that rule, now maybe some animals can be used by folks for animals feed and such and not just left to rot.

No Tag Soup Please
11-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I seen that buck this morning on the road dead. And the car that had just hit it was pretty squashed.. It was just before the airport right?

ElkMasterC
11-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Rules like that I like to see in print.
I LIKE the rule, don't get me wrong, but when I'm loading a body into the back of a truck and the guys with guns show up, I like to have a ruling to show them.

Don't ask me how I know this, let's just assume that I do.

J_T
11-27-2009, 05:31 PM
The Traditional Bowhunters of BC have a contract with the MOE to collect the heads of WT deer and elk in region 4. We do take those heads if they fall within the EK.

pete_k
11-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I LIKE the rule, don't get me wrong, but when I'm loading a body into the back of a truck and the guys with guns show up, I like to have a ruling to show them.

The CO I spoke with was Jim from Penticton. I agree. It would be nice to have this in writing someplace.

And I won't ask you how you know the stuff about guys with guns. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

pete_k
11-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I seen that buck this morning on the road dead. And the car that had just hit it was pretty squashed.. It was just before the airport right?

That would be the one NTSP. I'm not sure how I'm gonna hoist it over the barrier and avoid getting hit by a car in the dark. No room for the truck to pull over as the barrier is too close to the shoulder line. Probably should leave it. But I sure do want those antlers.

KevinB
11-27-2009, 06:32 PM

I'm with you there. As far as I know/knew, unless it was harvested in a legal hunting season then you weren't allowed to possess any animal part. I thought that even sheds were "technically" illegal to posess without a permit?:confused:

ElkMasterC
11-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Nah, sheds are fine, they're dropped, like poo.

Fixit
11-27-2009, 06:52 PM

so, you like collecting poo?!?!?:confused:

ElkMasterC
11-27-2009, 06:58 PM
And where, in all that, did you gather that?
Please enlighten me.

Cyrus
11-27-2009, 07:24 PM
When I lived in Quesnel I came across a monster perfect 6X6 muley (biggest buck I have ever seen actually) hit on Hwy 26. I wanted to take the the head and was informed by the CO that I needed a permit from him to do so. Went back to the scene of deer and someone beat me to it!! The entire deer was gone!

huntergirl270
11-27-2009, 07:41 PM
When I lived in Quesnel I came across a monster perfect 6X6 muley (biggest buck I have ever seen actually) hit on Hwy 26. I wanted to take the the head and was informed by the CO that I needed a permit from him to do so. Went back to the scene of deer and someone beat me to it!! The entire deer was gone!

Used to be a contracted butcher that would take the road kill from the area of Quesnel. Don't know if this is still the case but highways had him on speed dial.

GoatGuy
11-27-2009, 09:12 PM
The CO I spoke with was Jim from Penticton. I agree. It would be nice to have this in writing someplace.

And I won't ask you how you know the stuff about guys with guns. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

google wildlife act review

eastkoot
11-27-2009, 09:30 PM
The CO I spoke with was Jim from Penticton.

Oh, I know him, he's related to Mike from Canmore.. Credible fellow !!

eastkoot
11-27-2009, 09:34 PM
The Traditional Bowhunters of BC have a contract with the MOE to collect the heads of WT deer and elk in region 4. We do take those heads if they fall within the EK.

You're f***ing with us right??? You got to be kidding..:confused:Who are the traditional bow hunters and what right do you have over others to pick up roadkill ??? I believe without a permit, Mainroads are the only ones to pick up roadkill..What do you do with the heads, make soup??? Enlighten us please..

Ghost Stalker
11-27-2009, 09:40 PM
YOU ARE LEAGALLY PERMITTED TO BUCK THE HEAD OFF ANY ANIMAL IN BC AND TAKE IT HOME.. YOU MUST THEN GO TO THE WILDLIFE OFFICE AND REQUEST A PERMIT(i believe you still have to pay).there are some animals that are protected and it is still up to the CO if they have a valid reason to deny your request. such as trophy quality.. and i qoute from the CO " if it is boone you aint getting it". guess they need to do that to deter people being shady about it. not sure about the whole carcass but the antleres on a critter are fair game. horns are a little more iffy.depends on the CO, but take your camera and take pics. i have a frind with a california ram he found. think it would go top 15 and he got a permit for it. as for sheds.. free for all. they are shed and dont affect the animal anymore except rodents, and there are enough bones around to keep them happy.

pete_k
11-27-2009, 11:22 PM
It's gone. Went out after work with a flashlight and recip saw and it's gone.

KevinB
11-28-2009, 12:09 AM

ha ha, that is funny.

good to know though. Not that I've ever worried about picking up sheds. Poo on the other had I try to leave in the bush.

butthead
11-28-2009, 12:41 AM
you should of seen the car that hit it this morning
but it was a nice wt

dave_fras
11-28-2009, 06:50 AM
my boss was telling about a nice whitey that got hit by the vernon dump yesterday

hunter1947
11-28-2009, 07:07 AM
It's gone. Went out after work with a flashlight and recip saw and it's gone.

You snooze you loose ,to bad for you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.

sawmill
11-28-2009, 08:18 AM
I just checked,you have to have 2 different permits to snag roadkill.The deer will cost you 61$but you better not get caught taking it before you get the permits or they WILL kick your ass.And anything with an Auction value of 200$ or more,they keep.Which means any good rack basically.

Mik
11-28-2009, 12:57 PM
That would be the one NTSP. I'm not sure how I'm gonna hoist it over the barrier and avoid getting hit by a car in the dark. No room for the truck to pull over as the barrier is too close to the shoulder line. Probably should leave it. But I sure do want those antlers.
Why would you risk your life? Its still hunting season, go out and kill one:razz:

pete_k
11-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Why would you risk your life? Its still hunting season, go out and kill one:razz:

I'm tagged out. Seasons over for me.