PDA

View Full Version : Topo maps for Garmin 60cx

darrin6109
11-27-2009, 12:25 PM
wife just bought me one, and i would like to downlaod some maps of BC but i have no idea where to start?
any help would be great
thanks
darrin

Mauser98
11-27-2009, 01:20 PM
wife just bought me one, and i would like to downlaod some maps of BC but i have no idea where to start?
any help would be great
thanks
darrin

I just posted some information in another thread. Here it is again.:-D

The new 60CSx will come with Mapsource but you will have to buy the Topo Canada maps. GPSCentral has them on sale for around $99.00. That's a good price. The Topo maps get loaded onto the computer then viewed in Mapsource. Selected maps are then loaded from Mapsource to the GPS.

There is also available a set on Canadian topo maps that are free(legally, not pirated) but they have to be downloaded via torrent downloads. More information is available from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ . These maps can also be installed to Mapsource and uploaded to the GPS.

I would recommend installing a 4gb micro SD card into the GPS. That way there's lots f room for maps. The GPS firmware may have to be updated in order to use the 4gb card. Upgrading is easily done by downloading a free update drom the Garmin site. http://www8.garmin.com/products/webu...wtoinstall.jsp (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp)

I have a 2gb card in my 60Cx and have all of the Topo Canada and Ibycus maps for BC, the Yukon and part of Alberta plus some of the Topo USA maps on the one card.

Steeleco
11-27-2009, 01:39 PM
There is also available a set on Canadian topo maps that are free(legally, not pirated) but they have to be downloaded via torrent downloads. More information is available from http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ . These maps can also be installed to Mapsource and uploaded to the GPS.I tried this product once and it worked fine, just be careful you only load the files supplied. Somehow my computer uploaded ring tunes on my GPS and really messed things up. If your having trouble after installing the software, format the card and try again. I spent $100 trying to have the warranty fix my csx, till they found the corrupt file.

It's maps aren't quite as detailed as far as lake names and roads and such, but that may have improved since, and the price is right. Even then it was a BC only issue, the other provinces were pretty detailed.

Jagermeister
11-27-2009, 02:21 PM
You can buy pre-loaded cards, but the best bet is to buy Topo Canada and a card reader/writer and some cards and make your own map set for whatever areas suit your fancy.

darrin6109
11-27-2009, 02:29 PM
can you import google maps?

Clint_S
11-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Who cares about garmin, is that your wife? :eek:

Mauser98
11-27-2009, 05:08 PM
can you import google maps?

Sadly, no:(

Steeleco
11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
But you can overlay your waypoints, tracks and routes onto Google earth!!

Centerfire
11-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I plan on buying the Topo Canada maps for my Garmin 60 CSx that is on it's way from Cabelas.ca.

That being said, I have two questions:

1. I want to purchase the Topo Canada DVD and install on my computer and write the maps to sds cards. Do I need a sds card reader /writer or can that be done with a simple cable attachment to the gps (can the gps unit write the maps onto the card)?

2. Does anybody know of any retail stores that carry Topo Canada anywhere near or in the Vancouver area or must it be ordered on-line?

Thanks.

BimmerBob
11-29-2009, 03:22 PM
1. You will need a card reader/writer to write to the cards

2. Canadian Tire and Walmart sell the Topo Canada DVD's.

PM me with your contact information and I will tell you what I have discovered with mine.

Cheers, Bob

husky30-06
11-29-2009, 03:42 PM
I plan on buying the Topo Canada maps for my Garmin 60 CSx that is on it's way from Cabelas.ca.

1. I want to purchase the Topo Canada DVD and install on my computer and write the maps to sds cards. Do I need a sds card reader /writer or can that be done with a simple cable attachment to the gps (can the gps unit write the maps onto the card)?

2. Does anybody know of any retail stores that carry Topo Canada anywhere near or in the Vancouver area or must it be ordered on-line?

Thanks.

you can (unless otherwise stated with the model) up load and download all map info by patch cord. I have a micro SD card in mine and I never use it to transfer info. I use the cord and only have the card for more memory. I use the program on a regular basis and any info feel free to contact me.

Husky

Mauser98
11-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Thanks.

The 60Cx takes a micro-SD card. You don't need a card writer, just use the supplied usb cable to upload directly to the GPS from Mapsource. All is explained in the manual that comes with the GPS.

Elkaddict
11-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Is Topo Canada compatible with Mac or is it a PC only deal?

husky30-06
11-29-2009, 08:49 PM
not positive...... but i belive it is. a friend of mine has mac and I am pretty sure he got it loaded.

Elkaddict
11-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks. I'm looking to upgrade to a micro SD unit in the next little while, and TOPO Canada will be a must.

Mauser98
11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Is Topo Canada compatible with Mac or is it a PC only deal?

According to the DVD envelope that Mapsouce comes in, it's not Mac compatible.

husky30-06
11-29-2009, 10:01 PM
when vista first came out it was not map source friendly, this could be the same issue and an upgrade could be reguired. I will call and find out if he got it going.

SharpShot6
12-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Who cares about garmin, is that your wife? :eek:

no shes not, im his son and he just gets the pics from google.

Duckman
12-30-2009, 10:03 PM

Thanks.

2. Deakin have local stores-this DVD may be what you are looking for:
http://www.deakin.com/shop/products/?p=1805

Kootenai
01-11-2010, 08:05 PM
According to the DVD envelope that Mapsouce comes in, it's not Mac compatible.

You need a PC, then go to the Garmin site and download their converter. It will convert the map info for the mac on your PC. Then copy to your Mac.