PDA

View Full Version : A so Called Friend scoopes me...

Camp Cook
11-27-2009, 09:45 AM
My son & I have been hunting a very small area this fall for deer we would always see 1 or 2 does everytime we walked in they would show no fear of us and usually just stand there watching us.

The thing is everytime we went in there we also always saw these huge buck tracks either in the mud and more recently in the snow.

In a casual coversation I mentioned to a buddy that this was what we had been doing and then slipped and gave the general area he instantly knew the road and where we were hunting because over the months I had made a couple of comments like we stand here or there but never the area.

The day after I slipped and let him know were he went in and shot a huge 5X5 mule/blacktail hybrid deer the biggest he has ever shot only 50 yards away from where I told him we stand.

What I need to ask is did this guy f*ck us because I'm thinking that this is the last freaking straw that I can take from this guy or am I in the wrong thinking that he did and it was my fault for slipping up and telling him about this area/deer?

Bowtime
11-27-2009, 09:48 AM
I hate not telling my friends where I hunt, mainly because they know I lie about where I say I go. But it has to be done. I refuse to share any info about my hunting spots!

thepitchedlink
11-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Bit of dirty pool is you ask me, he scooped you. But you did let it slip, your own fault. Tell him "nice deer, and that'll be the last time I ever help ya out - jerk".

#1fishslayer
11-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Slimeball move. Dont ever tell your friends nuttin.

humble hunter
11-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Always Lie About Where You Are Hunting!!!!

Steeleco
11-27-2009, 10:10 AM
It was a seemingly underhanded move on his part, but there will be more, and I'm sure you won't tell him squat next time. That said, I've told folks exactly where to go on a few occasions, doesn't mean the animal will be there when they are. Some of his luck was just BS timing!

Just make sure he invites you over for a feast!!

Neckshot
11-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Been there and yes that is a low ball move. You are justified feeling cheated. I actually had a guy not only take a spot over but then started bringing his mom, clients and wife to shoot animals there. I got so mad one day we almost came to blows. I am now hyper sensitive to that kind of thing. I actually got persmission from a landowner to use his farmland to hunt one time. When I scouted it I found 3 treestands. I went back and asked him if anyone else hunted there and he said yes there is a bow hunter. I thanked him profusely for his permission but declined to hunt there out of respect for the bow hunter who was there first. Just my 2 cents.

Fisher-Dude
11-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Loose lips sink ships. The area is not yours, the buck isn't (wasn't) yours. Go congratulate your friend for nailing a monster, remind him that you steered him in the right direction, and tell him he "owes" you a bag of pepperoni. As you munch each stick, think about what you'll do differently next time. :wink:

digger dogger
11-27-2009, 10:17 AM
simply ask him not to go back. if wern't for you he would never have been there. if he respects you he will not go back, if he goes back, tell him to beat it as a friend.. lie, lie, lie..

Mik
11-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Slime bag move! A true friend should be able to endure the wrath of the"Camp Cook"! Let him have it.

blacktail20
11-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Thats kinda funny lets see a pic of your buck oh sorry i mean your friends buck never open your mouth around anyone that hunts about any big buck. think this one was your fault

Ozone
11-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Quick kick to the nuts should even things up.

gary murray
11-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I just went through that myself. When i took my friend into my little honey hole, we saw several bucks and he ended up getting a nice 4 pointer. I made him promise not to tell anyone about the spot especially this one friend of his that is trigger happy and he said he wouldn't. Well he just let it slip to me that him and that same friend went in there for a couple days hunting a week ago. I came unglued on him and all he could say is that his friend hunts in there from time to time anyways. Now hunting time to time is one thing but since my friend probably told him about his deer along with all the other game we seen in there, it's going to go from time to time to all the time. I'll never hunt with my friend again not just because of that but the gong show 5 day hunt we had in October. I gave up two days of my own moose hunting to help him get a deer and after i gutted and skinned it for him, he wanted to pack up and leave. I didn't want half the deer as i already had one in my freezer so i told him to just give me the liver but he still only wanted to give me half of that.

mxracer328
11-27-2009, 10:25 AM
you talk like its the last buck that you'll be able to shoot. tell him nice deer, and tell him theres a tenderloin fee for the information

mr.280
11-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Once I bagged a big buck from a little honey hole and I told all my hunting buds that I got it in a different area.Well then two days latter One buddy went into this different area and bagged a monster,LOL!

Phil
11-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Two things,

1)You've got to know and trust your friends before you take them in to your spot or tell them about it.

2)If your not willing to let them take a buck out of your spot and still feel good about your friendship or be happy for him then tell him to go piss up a rope cause he aint no friend of yours.

This guy can't be trusted. That was a dick move on his part.

Snuneymuxw Hunter
11-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I always Lie when it comes to where I hunt.
Doen't sound like a very good buddy.
But I have a cousin like that too.
Oh well lesson learned.

Camp Cook
11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Guys I know this was not only my area or deer and that he was lucky to even see it but the guy would never have even thought about going there to hunt if it wasn't for my slip up...

I would never and have never gone into a buddies area without him telling me specifically go in there.

Yes I feel that this was a major slime ball move on his part...

Kudu
11-27-2009, 10:42 AM
To me hunting is like fishing, something to be shared and enjoyed.

If I'm to hunt alone, or fish alone, for the rest of my life because I'm paranoid that my mate will go in there and nail something with out me - then frankly, you can have all my fishing gear an hunting kit for free.

To me hunting is about the stalk - the kill, the work and the friendship around the fire at night, talking crap and sharing experiences with a fellow enthusiast - each is as important as the other.

In this instance you may feel "done in", take a moment - think about it, this may the best hunting partner you have ever bumped into - clearly he is as keen a hunter as you are - what can he bring to the table now that you so graciously and unselfishly helped him out?

Camp Cook
11-27-2009, 10:45 AM
If he had waited until this weekend and gone in and hunted with me I wouldn't have an issue it is that he took my months of work and scooped me.

Gateholio
11-27-2009, 10:47 AM
If you dont' want someone to go to "your" secret spot, dont' tell them about it. Don't tell them anything that might lead them there, either.

Since he's been there and now knows about it, he will always go back. Best thing for you to do is to talk to him and ask that he keep it quiet.

If I find a good spot, I tell whomever I feel is worthy, but if someone confides in me about a good spot, my lips are sealed.

moosinaround
11-27-2009, 10:48 AM
If I show my buddy my honey hole, or tell him about it, I will not be angry that he went in and bagged a critter. Good true hunting buddies would not get mad at you if you went in and bagged a crittier in an area he told you about! If an area is soo special to you, then you should not say anything about it to anyone! I figure if my buddy goes in and shoots the critter then way to go! I will get another at another date! It is a big ole world out there full of big ole critters to hunt!! Moosin

gary murray
Since my friend was in my honey hole with me when he got his deer, i wouldn't of minded if he went in there again by himself but because he brought another person with him who can easily tell his friends who will tell their friends etc. I guess i'm more pissed because he gave me his word that he wouldn't tell anyone and to me when a man gives his word, it's written in stone as far as i'm concerned. It taught me that even though i've known him for over 20 years that i can't trust him.

leadpillproductions
Loose lips sink ships. The area is not yours, the buck isn't (wasn't) yours. Go congratulate your friend for nailing a monster, remind him that you steered him in the right direction, and tell him he "owes" you a bag of pepperoni. As you munch each stick, think about what you'll do differently next time. :wink:

I agree 100% and get some pics lol

wrenchhead
11-27-2009, 10:51 AM
bit of a prick move on his part id say.
im not afraid to tell or show my buddies where i hunt. most of my buddies are new hunters and appriciate a point in the right direction, but if i told them i was in a spot and was after a certain animal id expect them to respect that.
as for a few of my buddies that always hunt and harvest big bucks we tell each other where we get them and it goes both ways exchanging hot spots. but if we know that the guy is going to be hunting there we just go somewhere else.
its not like theres going to be a lunker standing in every hotspot you know, so god knows whos going to get lucky that day.

The Dawg
11-27-2009, 10:52 AM
If I show my buddy my honey hole, or tell him about it, I will not be angry that he went in and bagged a critter. Good true hunting buddies would not get mad at you if you went in and bagged a crittier in an area he told you about! If an area is soo special to you, then you should not say anything about it to anyone! I figure if my buddy goes in and shoots the critter then way to go! I will get another at another date! It is a big ole world out there full of big ole critters to hunt!! Moosin

Yep- I have shot animals in his, and hes shot animals in mine. :)

MB_Boy
11-27-2009, 10:57 AM
In a casual coversation I mentioned to a buddy that this was what we had been doing and then slipped and gave the general area he instantly knew the road and where we were hunting because over the months I had made a couple of comments like we stand here or there but never the area.

The day after I slipped and let him know were he went in and shot a huge 5X5 mule/blacktail hybrid :wink: deer the biggest he has ever shot only 50 yards away from where I told him we stand.

What I need to ask is did this guy f*ck us because I'm thinking that this is the last freaking straw that I can take from this guy or am I in the wrong thinking that he did and it was my fault for slipping up and telling him about this area/deer?

Are you.....or 'were' you friends with Bartell and Proguide66???? :wink: :tongue:

Those *******s!!:mrgreen:

M.Dean
11-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Put your self in his shoes, he hears of a good spot with some decent bucks in it, why not go give it a try! It's public land, it's not like he crawled through your fence and shot it behind the barn! If I hear of a spot where someone seen a big one, I go check it out, it cuts down on a lot of no deer days! I share very limited information with most people, my kids or friends I'll draw them a map to within 2 feet of where I saw a buck, I'll show them the photo's and if they get it, great!!! Your buddy did what a lot of smart hunters would do, he heard of a good area and went and shot a good animal, sorry!

Triggerman
11-27-2009, 11:05 AM
If I take someone to a secret spot I always tell them in advance that they are not tell anyone nor hunt there without me. If you are not clear about it, all bets are off and you are to blame for not being upfront. If someone disgarded your explicit instructions, then for sure kick him in the nuts!

My .2 cents.
:???:

The Dawg
11-27-2009, 11:08 AM
If I take someone to a secret spot I always tell them in advance that they are not tell anyone nor hunt there without me. If you are not clear about it, all bets are off and you are to blame for not being upfront. If someone disgarded your explicit instructions, then for sure kick him in the nuts!

My .2 cents.
:???:

Nut shots are boring! Go with this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfYijyWMAjo

curt
11-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I didnt read all the posts but in general I think I am going against the grain here. My friends are just that we normally hunt together but any success in our hunting party is a good thing to me. It is give and take we do lots of scouting and share info often making our hunting experiences even better. If I didnt want him a buddy going somewhere I would just tell him that plain and simple!! "I've been working this area with my kid please do not snake in there before me or I will never hunt with you again" be honest most people respect honesty. If he still slides in regardless of what you have asked then he isnt a friend worth keeping anyway!
my thoughts

Camp Cook
11-27-2009, 11:20 AM
If he would have just said/asked "do you mind if I give it a try tomorrow" I would have said sure go for it I have absolutely no problem with that.

That he took my info/trust and went to exactly the spot is what rubs me wrong.

Jelvis
11-27-2009, 11:21 AM
One fella I know well, he went to some spots I have with me, and if we see a nice buck or small bull but don't get a decent chance at it, he comes back the very next day by himself to get a shot.
One day he actually got the four point we saw the day before.
Another guy went back to a spot I showed him, the next week with someone else and shot two bucks.
Some people just follow and take your spot, and don't give a rodents dare e air.
Jel -- some listen to every detail for a clue on your spot - then POW.

11-27-2009, 11:40 AM

I agree you told him where it was.

muleychaser
11-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Just like everyone else, I have numerous friends, with that being said I can count on on hand the ones I know I can count on when the chips are down. Just because you know him does not meen you can trust him. If he pulled a move like that he definately does not deserve the right to be one of the fingers on your hand.

If you ever want to see a bunch of guys lie to each other get a group of avid deer hunters together.

Camp Cook
11-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Ok guys the general consensus is I screwed up so I'll go with that but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I will never trust this guy again.

Next time I see him I'm going to let him know that I think it was a slime ball move on his part and that he better do something to fix it.

11-27-2009, 11:55 AM
ya it isnt a good move on his part but......

give a dog a bone its gonna eat it

muleychaser
11-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Just leave it as is. Confronting him will just create more tension. Sit back look at him and smile. You now know what he is all about. Just remind yourself of Karma and next time you hear him whine about someone screwing him you will have the oppurtunity to chuckled to yourself and you will know justice has been served.

11-27-2009, 12:04 PM
sorry i just remembered a funny one

elk hunting last year on our island me and my buddies found a river with about 30 steelhead in the pool. Fished it that evening did great.
couple guys drive to camp and say they have been fishin the area for trout, no idea about the river they were new to the area and exploring.
my buddie says " hey there's 30 steelhead in the pool down the road "
off they go "bloody hell Eldon!" wtf
guys went there hard for 2 days and spooked our pool we would have used for afternoon fish or two.
"bloody hell Eldon WTF"

Darksith
11-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I took a buddy into one of my secret spots this year as he is kinda new to the area. I got a shot off at really nice 4x4 but completely missed through the willows. Two days later he went back in there by himself and shot it. People get crazy about hunting, and lots are too lazy to go find their own spots, or aren't lucky enough to even see a big deer, so they will poach yours everytime. I expect a buddy to only go into my spots that I have shown them when I am there. If Im there and they nail one awesome, if they go in without me its poaching in my eyes. Be straight up with them about what you expect of them when you share info, that way they can't plead ignorance or say I didn't think you would mind. If they break that "man code" after you laid out your expectations then they can't be trusted ever again with your spots.

mrdoog
11-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Loose the hate, and get over it.
Be the bigger guy and lend your congratulations.

11-27-2009, 12:33 PM
i guess these "friends" arent friends because friends wouldnt care about it.
although i bug Eldon about the steel head thing every time i see him

moosinaround
11-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Nut shots are boring! Go with this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfYijyWMAjo
F$%^ Dawg!! Thart is some funny sh&t!!! I am f&*ing laughin my ass off again, and I have seen it once already!!! Moosin

silvicon
11-27-2009, 01:15 PM
you where asking for getting f****d over by telling where you go and what you see.
this is one of the reqasons that i hunt alone and NEVER tell another hunter what i see where.

fuzzybiscuit
11-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Go tell him that you recently saw an even bigger one than the one he got in there and when he goes back in to scoop you again, flatten all four of his tires and let him walk out.:)

It's happened to all of us at one time or another. It's hard, but you just have to get over it. Not everyone plays by the same rules. Now you know.

ElkMasterC
11-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Ask Humble Hunter about this situation...... :rolleyes:

I always love the guys that say "Well that's life, be a bigger man" Blah blah blahhhhh....
I'd like to see their reaction if it happened to them, if they'd be so wise and magnanimous...so sooooo Yodaaaa.

I think the f**k not.

Well that sucks, but now you know. Only share those good spots with your bestest hunting buddies, ElkmasterC, HumbleHunter and the Jellyman.
He NEVER tells any spots! ;-)
JK Jelster, you knows we loves ya!

Leaseman
11-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I am a little suprised at the responses....:???:

If I told one of my (3) hunting buddies about something my son and I (or whomever) had been doing and seeing and trying for..... then they had the gall to go in there (without saying/asking when I was going to hunt it next) and shoot what I had been patterning..... I would never hunt with them again! Different story if it was the last day of hunting for the season for me and they still had the time.....

It is a trust that you are sharing with the person, telling them of an area you have put the time into to find the "big" one. I would feel like this person "stole" the animal from me.

Definately not worth having this person as a "friend" (and I use this term loosely)

I get this quite a bit when sturgeon fishing, even have the odd person "tailing" me to find my "quiet" holes that have low pressure on them. The laziness of some who won't put the little (or a lot) effort in when the rewards feel so much more.....

It shows for many that they don't trust others..... wonder why :confused:

budismyhorse
11-27-2009, 01:36 PM
You stated, he "instantly knew the road you were talking about".....therefore he knows all about "your" spot.

Did you explicitly tell him you are going back?? If not, there is no scoop. Scooping would be if he made moves in order to get in before you (which may be the case).

All in all, he has been there before....so its NOBODYS spot....if he knew you were going back and he knowingly went in before you....that is a BS move by a so-called friend.....If all he did was go in thinking you are done with that place, no harm, just a hunter acting on good info.

That being said.....to be fair, he should have told you what he was doing.

wolverine
11-27-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm with the "say nothing" group. That being said I told a friend today where to go for some local blacktail but I have an nice animal in the freezer so good luck to him. I never disclose the location of my honey hole though. A few other hunters have found it over the years but that's life. They probably think it's their honey hole too. I don't tell people about it because it's like that old hair shampoo commercial.... " and then they tell two others and so on, and so on and so on...." Even your best buddy in a moment of weakness will let it slip with the caveat of " but you can't tell anyone else or I'm dead meat" tagged on to the end. So if I don't want anyone else "cutting my grass" I shut up and stay that way. If asked where I got my deer I'll always smile and say "just behind the shoulder" and let the conversation die right there. Hey, everyone should have a honey hole for themselves. Dig him for a bag of sausage and next time... keep it in the vault.

Lance Barkman
11-27-2009, 03:26 PM
I always respect what my friends say as far a spots. I will never go to a told about spot unless I have full permission from them. The fact is I have enough spots to keep me busy. The other fact is animals do move around, and often I will even tell friends to try my spots just so I can keep tabs on what is all happening there. If this guy is a true friend to you, you should be happy for him. Who knows you may have never seen this buck youself, and now you and your son get to be apart of the action. There is lots of bush out there and many more bucks. What goes around comes around, and if this guy truely wanted to snake you he will get whats coming. But look at it this way, you got to help your friend get a big buck. :) Forgive me, I could be wrong on this one.

THE SWEDE
11-27-2009, 03:31 PM
All my secret spots are forsale.Pm For details

11-27-2009, 03:37 PM
got any good ones on the island?...... i'll trade you a river

THE SWEDE
11-27-2009, 03:40 PM
got any good ones on the island?...... i'll trade you a river

Sorry regions 3,5,6 and 7:-DDog deer bore me

11-27-2009, 03:45 PM
i'll take a gooder in 5. trade say.....two rivers and a good lake?
dont go there unless i am though. it'd be just wrong

BuriedByTheDead
11-27-2009, 04:07 PM
thats true it wasnt yoru area or your deer, but if my friends told me i wouldnt go try to shoot this deer theyve been chasing...i wouldnt even congradulate him...i personally just wouldnt talk to him anymore if hes that much of an @$$

leadpillproductions
11-27-2009, 05:06 PM
This is why you keep your honey spots a secret. Hey its happened to me

bsa30-06
11-27-2009, 05:32 PM
First off i dont have any spot worth keeping secret from anybody friend or not.I have given some pretty good/exact directions to certain individuals who have asked for help,and if they were succesfull then congrats to them.In this case tho it would have been nice if he atleast asked first, but oh well its all over and he was succesfull and there will always be other deer.If somebody asks me not to reveal there honey hole then thats what i do, if they ask me not to hunt there with out them thats fine to theres lots of places for deer to hide and i'll look elsewhere.

MikeH
11-27-2009, 05:48 PM
You have to watch who you tell if its buddies you hunt with well not so bad cause you should be working together I think. BUT!If it a friends that you hang from time to time he'll never know the goods spots in my books.

born2hunt
11-27-2009, 06:01 PM
you gotta be pissed at that move tbh! pretty low to scoop another buddys area , and to do it so quick to lol nice friend!

stitch
11-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey 835....I've got a pretty good idea of where the is one if not 2 tending...shoot me a pm if interested.
Stitch

Gr8 white hunter
11-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I would not call him a friend i would call him a ahole with no integrity

fuzzybiscuit
11-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Three years ago, I took an acquaintance to an area that I knew held a good number of better than average Blacktail bucks. I had hunted this area for quite a few years, had passed on some smaller bucks, and did not have a shot on a few larger ones. I had never shot a buck in this area but considered it my “honey hole”.

I told this bald-headed little sucker that works at the local Home Depot, that I would show him my secret spot, but he couldn’t tell a soul where it was. I did not specifically tell him he could not hunt the spot, but he knew how I felt of the area and how much time I had spent in hunting/scouting this particular spot. He assured me his lips were sealed.

Later that season another acquaintance told me that he and acquaintance #1, the bald headed freak, had missed a good buck in the same spot that I had taken acquaintance #1 to earlier in the year. Baldy had claimed it was “his” honey hole.

Last season and this year baldy has shot a good buck in the same location. Taking different people with him each time. That is three different people that he has taken in there that I know of. I actually have not heard of him hunting any other area other than the area I originally told him was my “honey hole”.

Needless to say, I don’t hunt with baldy any more. I cannot even force myself to congratulate him on the last two mature bucks that he has shot there. He now actually considers this area to be his “honey hole.”

I have learned something from all of this. If you have a good area that you do not want anyone to know about, the only way to ensure this is to not tell a soul

Going Hot
11-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Hahahahaha... I would continue telling your friend of other Amazing areas!! in some extremely difficult country. In a very short while he'll get the message! If not maybe he'll let you in on some of his findings in the tough country you sent him to.:-D

stitch
11-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Maybe you should introduce him to HBC...and this thread.

Ambush
11-27-2009, 07:26 PM
That's the difference between friends and aquaintances.

I don't lie to my friends and my friends wouldn't pull a stunt like that. And I wouldn't do it to them.

Shooter
11-27-2009, 07:28 PM
It kinda depends but it sounds like just a regular spot if he knew the road right away. I think of a secret honey hole as being a ridge that you walk or a line of bluffs or something that isn't just a common road that a million road hunters hit up anyways. That being said its kind of crappy for a friend to head into a spot you just told him you have been working hard in. I think in a spot like that there is kind of an unspoken time line. If someone tells me they have been working an area it doesn't meen I will never go there. But I definately won't go there the next day or week. But a common knowledge spot is fair game. I have a few common knowledge spots that I am careful who I tell about. Some people just blast right past areas or else they just don't hunt them right. I just make sure I get there early enough to be first in. Its usually more important to not tell someone HOW you hunt a spot. If you focus on an area long enough you will learn how the deer move in that area and usually your hunting method for said spot will need to be adjusted according to deer patterns.

Bryson
11-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Alot of us know the feeling i know i do !!!

Phreddy
11-27-2009, 07:36 PM
While I can sympathize with you on the story, I can also suggest that the best way to ruin a honey hole, or get a secret blabbed all over creation just takes 3 words......."Don't tell anyone".

gamehunter6o
11-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Newbie hunter work mate started to get the odd deer. I never asked where and he never told me as I was shooting plenty.
Then some months later he told me I should go and hunt such and such place as he was no longer able to go out, and it's where he's been getting deer.
I thanked him and went out that evening. The next morning he came around to see how I'd got on. I had 5 hanging up. He sort of put on a brave face after his jaw dropped.
I heard weeks later he was pissed off because the place he sent me was not his honey spot, but an area he thought there were no deer.:lol:

Shooter
11-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Thats funny as hell.. Just curious. How many are you allowed in NZ? Is it like the Charlottes here? Allowed 10 there.

scoopy
11-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Really? If I said that there were five 6 point bucks down by the old tree left of the bend in the creek everyone on this forum would be there tommorrow! All your friend did was use good information given to him. I would do the same. Don't give up your spots if you don't want anyone there, simple as that. Stop whining.

Matt

mcrae
11-27-2009, 08:50 PM
That's the difference between friends and aquaintances.

I don't lie to my friends and my friends wouldn't pull a stunt like that. And I wouldn't do it to them.

X2 most of my buddies are better deer hunters than me and when they show me spots I keep it to myself and I don't go into their "honey holes" unless I am with them. Just seems like common courtesty to me.

sobirch
11-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Why would you tell a person unless you wanted them to share and use your knowledge? I have one hunting buddy that I will share everything with and if he scores it is just as much a thrill to me as it is to him. But I have to say it is a two way street, I gain as much as I give,

fuzzybiscuit
11-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Cool...kind of like a 69!

Jelvis
11-27-2009, 09:13 PM
------Two can chew

bigshark
11-27-2009, 09:27 PM
if he was your friend then I dont see what the big deal is. friends should be hunting together and helping each other out. if you didnt want him to use your spot then you should have mentioned it to him in the same breath when you brought it up. just like theres lots of fish in the sea, theres lots of dear in the forest ;) you'll get yours and you can rub it in to your friend

GoatGuy
11-27-2009, 09:38 PM
My son & I have been hunting a very small area this fall for deer we would always see 1 or 2 does everytime we walked in they would show no fear of us and usually just stand there watching us.

The thing is everytime we went in there we also always saw these huge buck tracks either in the mud and more recently in the snow.

The day after I slipped and let him know were he went in and shot a huge 5X5 mule/blacktail hybrid deer the biggest he has ever shot only 50 yards away from where I told him we stand.

If you don't want somebody hunting your spots, don't take them in and don't tell them where you're going or where you hunt.

I'd say be happy for your buddy and tell him congrats. You probably wouldn't have seen or shot that buck. Be happy that you were able to help him out and that he got a nice deer.

gwillim
11-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Go find a recording of Billie Holiday's "Don't Advertise Your Man". Make the appropriate adjustments and learn from the wise Billie.

swampdonkey
11-27-2009, 10:08 PM
ya your freind corked you what a a&&HOLE FRIENDS DON'T DO THAT TO FRINDS

troutseeker
11-27-2009, 10:12 PM
He's your friend you day? Then congratulate him on a nice deer. And if you don't ever want him to scoop you again, be more careful about letting it slip...

I'd go back in there and get a bigger one from the same spot, just to show him up!

theK.G.B
11-27-2009, 10:12 PM
my personal thoughts, a hunting area is not confined to one person. but making a spot personal is very common. and if you choose to share or slip up on your "best spot" or "favorite area" it is only ethical to ask permission when treading someone elses hard hunting. i say let it be a lesson of faith, i guess you wont share anything with him now!!!!! besides it sounds like your son should rightfully carry the secret next!

scope
11-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Always remember, you were hunting right beside zipperlip creek.

Brambles
11-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I know if I had a friend and he was activly hunting a big buck in an area, I would steer clear of the area for the season or until he gave up and gave me the go ahead to give it a shot. That is providing I hadn't been hunting the same area already that season.

It all depends on the spot too, if its a major area that has lots of hunters then its hard to stay out of the general area. I have spots that are absolutly tiny and have never seen another hunter or signs of other hunters during the 8 years I've hunted it. There are 4 people who know about that area because I felt confident in our friendships that they wouldn't scoop me, and so far they haven't.

Sorry your friend scooped you, obviously he wasn't a good friend and by the sounds of things he has given you reason doubt his friendship in the past.

Tell him to pound salt.

gamehunter6o
11-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Thats funny as hell.. Just curious. How many are you allowed in NZ? Is it like the Charlottes here? Allowed 10 there.

No limit in NZ. Just keep shooting what ever you want, but it ain't that easy. Story was from about 1980. I still chuckle.

thecoug
11-27-2009, 11:15 PM

You say he is a friend..
Is he the only one you have given "all the clues" to???
Friends do not do that... so If he did it, he is not your friend...
If you did not give it up, you would not have to be addressing this matter... There is a saying... "I would never get with a friend's lady, soooooo if I get with your lady, I guess I am not your friend" Kinda like that is it not???? either way... we have no claim to wildlife until we take its life... Your "buddy" might not be as good a buddy as you thought... What a bummer...

Shooter
11-27-2009, 11:17 PM
No limit in NZ. Just keep shooting what ever you want, but it ain't that easy. Story was from about 1980. I still chuckle.

wow no limit? is it that over populated or is there just no hunters? Are there seasons or can you hunt year round?

Jelvis
11-27-2009, 11:19 PM
It's so hard to hit them bouncing kangaroos no body buyz tags anyways.
Jellynewzeyelandlol

The Hermit
11-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorry but you gotta take responsibility for letting this one slip. Did you say to him as soon as you let it slip, in advance... "Opps I guess I let the cat outta the bag buddy but look I'd really appreciate it if you would leave that area alone for me and my son this year. We have worked it pretty hard and I didn't mean to tell you."??? If he went in after pleading stupidity then he wouldn't be worth calling him a friend, more like an asshole!

I told Franko about a big buck that I saw this afternoon in hopes that he can go get it tomorrow! But thats okay, the mans got the "stink" bad again and needs the help!! ;-)

Good luck Frank go slay him! If my phucking glasses, goggles, and scope weren't all fogged up that bad boy would be hanging out at my place tonight! errrr

"skma"
11-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Always remember, you were hunting right beside zipperlip creek.
on the ridge at no-tellum mountain :mrgreen:

gamehunter6o
11-28-2009, 01:01 AM
wow no limit? is it that over populated or is there just no hunters? Are there seasons or can you hunt year round?

No permit fee, no tags and shoot males, females or fawns. If a deer is seen out of the bush, it gets shot.
So they are truely wild and a very rarely seen out of the bush in daylight.
There are 7 species of deer, chamois, tahr,feral pigs and goats.
Quite a few, but as I said, they ain't easy.

5 spike
11-28-2009, 05:50 AM
shooter and i on the most part let each other no about some honey holes we find during our season. as i type this he is heading into one i found this season early, i have seen some very large bucks in this area and they put the slip on both of us numerous times this year. if he goes in and hammers a hog awesome. the bottom line is if you dont want somebody to no your honey hole dont say a word. as for me i dont care, i,m always there first anyways. lol

hunter1947
11-28-2009, 06:11 AM
If you told him you would like it if he would not come into this area and the two of you made it a verbal agreement then I would be very upset ,but what I see in your story there was nothing mentioned about you telling him not to come into your honey hole.

So if me I would let it go let begones be gone and if you don't care to hunt with this friend anymore then don't.

Camp Cook
11-28-2009, 09:08 AM
As I stated earlier I see what you guys are saying but here is what I have issue with I have ethics/respect for others and I would never and have never gone to an area that someone else told me about unless it was communicated that it was ok.

So basically I never for a freaking second figured the guy was so unethical/disrespectful of me as to scoop my exact spot I see this as one of the lowest things I have ever had done to me by someone that I know.

A post was made earlier saying that I have probably had other issues with this guy the answer to this is yes I have it was years ago and basically it was a lack of respect issue at that time as well.

I will no longer trust other hunters that I do not know/trust/respect 100% I have learnt my lesson...

trapperdan2061
11-28-2009, 09:17 AM
we all tell friends things but even I have spots that I don't tell anyone, you need the special place for you.

gary murray
11-28-2009, 09:45 AM
If i take someone into my area or tell him about it then i don't have a problem with him hunting there if he's by himself. I made him promise not to tell anyone especially his trigger happy friend and he said he wouldn't and then he told me a little while ago that he went in there with his trigger happy friend. Sure i'll get over it but i'm pissed that he gave me his word and broke it. You break your word to me and i'll never trust you again. I call his friend trigger happy because Rob and his friend went to Valemont because Rob had a cow moose draw. On the first day they arrived Robs friend shot Robs cow moose on him when he had a CB radio to call Rob and tell him he found him a moose. As for Rob himself? He's one of those guys that feels the need to shoot every grouse that's standing on the road. So now i got them both plowing into my honey hole.

FLHTCUI
11-28-2009, 09:46 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but that secret spot..zipperlip place, next to the stand of Red Cedar is now common knowledge and is fair game.
But, and I mean BUT your Hunting/drinking Buddy really should'nt have gone in with-out you.
Then again it sounds like you where questioning the friendship loyalty thing in your closeing comments.
Karma will eventually come his way I only hope it comes soon enough.
Now get out there in those closeing days of the General Season and see if his Bigger Brother is close by looking for a date.
I really feel for you on this one,
Rob

BCTRUCKER
11-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I have a couple of spots I dont tell any one about. I took a hunting partner
that I ve been hunting with since 1977, and a new guy, To a new area that I
found and taken a few deer out of. The whole hunting trip, they hunted the same area. One of my honey holes. 7 days they hunted the spot.1 small doe
was all they seen. I got a nice big 2pt blacktail, saw 4 more bucks that were bigger. But couldn't get shot. Different honey hole. If you have a spot and you dont want anybody to hunt it. DONT TELL ANYBODY

mrdoog
11-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Another fine example of why having friends is nothing but a pain in the ass.

Camp Cook
11-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I didn't just blurt out the area he slowly squeezed the info little by little from me and narrowed it down he new I wasn't coming right out and telling him so he new that I didn't want to share with him.

Here is something else the reason that we were even talking on the phone was he needed me to find some stuff for him which I was able too locate so as I was doing him a major favour he was sneaking around my back door maybe thats why I feel so wronged over this.

bigben
11-28-2009, 10:27 AM
No honour in this story

gamehunter6o
11-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Another fine example of why having friends is nothing but a pain in the ass.

Mrdog, most on this forum keep their sexual persuasion to themselves, but if you wish to share yours we don't really want to know the details.:eek:

pgpapa
11-28-2009, 11:29 AM
I use a method like a circle or target. Ten rings on a target, most of my hunting friends might make to the six or seven. Those I dont share info with.
From the eight ring in I share with so if I have know my friends as well I thought I did no problem. So far over fifty years of hunting is has not cost me a trophy or animal yet!

Larry

Camp Cook
11-28-2009, 11:45 AM
No honour in this story

bigben you pegged it...

This is exactly the comment I needed to see to help me understand why I feel the way I do about this...

Let me put it this way I don't need the meat and if he or anyone else was with me I couldn't have cared less who would have shot it, just isn't that important too me being there with a trusted friend or hearing from a trusted friend that I willingly shared with that he had scored is fantastic.

This behaviour especially from a supposed friend is just plain wrong and I have to say that I am surprised at how many in this thread condoned his behaviour...

islandboy
11-28-2009, 12:56 PM
:rolleyes: New thread soon :wink: .....

Joe :tongue: tells Bill :confused: about hunting spot 8-) , Bill gets deer :mrgreen: , Bill reads HBC :eek: ,

Bill :twisted: writes in .....

Friend slags me on HBC :cry:

Kody94
11-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Really? If I said that there were five 6 point bucks down by the old tree left of the bend in the creek everyone on this forum would be there tommorrow! All your friend did was use good information given to him. I would do the same. Don't give up your spots if you don't want anyone there, simple as that. Stop whining.

Matt

Classic!!! Your response matches your handle perfectly. Did you plan it that way? LOL