PDA

View Full Version : Tips on 3-13 in the Snow

mijinkal
11-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey guys and girls, I'm planning on taking off for the weekend with the kids and chasing some bucks around and maybe a grouse or two if we see any. I haven't hunted this late in the season, and the road is blocked on my regular stomping grounds in 3-14, so I'm planning on hitting 3-13 because it's fairly close for a weekend hunt. I have a set of chains, and will be picking up another set, so I have 4 wheels covered. I know that Snow is definitely an issue up high so I'm looking for a little of advice here.
My original plan was to get off the Coq before the toll booth and make my way through there. Are the deer still up there or have most of them moved down lower? If they're lower, should I go down to Merrit and head to the hills from there? This is all new hunting grounds for me and I'm just looking for a pointer or two before heading out there in the wee hours of the morning on Saturday.

Cheers,
AL

Steeleco
11-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I think the area before the plaza is 2-17?? You'll need to get north of Juliette creek to get into 3-13. The road in behind Gillis and Murray is likely passable, but the side roads will be hammered with all that snow. You could check out the area around Shea lake. It's east of the Coq but still in 3-13.

You'll need a back country map book to see the boundary areas clearly.

Good luck.

mijinkal
11-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks Steelco, I have a backroads book for the LML and Okanagan, I just don't have it with me here at work. I've researched the area and have looked at topo maps as well. I'm just not shure if I should be spending my time up there or go down closer to Merritt.

Brizz
11-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Be careful on the roads around the toll booth, even with chains that area is pretty deep right now. Nearly got trapped on the lawless road a week ago...

mijinkal
11-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I kinda wish I had a snowmobile right now.

Brizz
11-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I always wish I had a snowmobile;)

twoSevenO
11-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Be careful on the roads around the toll booth, even with chains that area is pretty deep right now. Nearly got trapped on the lawless road a week ago...

Do you hunt there much? I've spent a little time around lawless-britton two seasons ago, and didn't see a single deer. Saw lots of tracks, but no critters....

Blainer
11-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Do you hunt there much? I've spent a little time around lawless-britton two seasons ago, and didn't see a single deer. Saw lots of tracks, but no critters....only the first 6km from the Coq. is region 2,then it turns to region 8 which is closed for rifle.
Just a heads up.

twoSevenO
11-26-2009, 07:58 PM
only the first 6km from the Coq. is region 2,then it turns to region 8 which is closed for rifle.

who's talking about Nov 10+? I never mentioned dates in my post...

Steeleco
11-26-2009, 08:02 PM
who's talking about Nov 10+? I never mentioned dates in my post...

mijinkal want's to take his kids THIS weekend, so the info is relevant to the question. Relax.

twoSevenO
11-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Mijinkal ... even if you have a capapble truck, with chains on all 4s i think it's just not worth the hassle of having to winch/dig your truck out of a snow bank should you slide off the icy road. Day trips are precious time you don't want to waste on recovery, especially with hungry/cold kids in truck lol. I don't know how many white tails in either area, but i would rather hit up the east side, where 3-12 meets up with 8-5.

That would be Shea lake, as Steelco mentioned. Having said that, let me make two disclaimers to my recommendation:

1) I don't know how many (if any) white tails you will find there. Personally i've only seen mulies.

2) There was a fire/cutting going on around Shea, so you might have to end up going a little further north of shea to get to the "undisturbed" area, while still remaining in reg 3.

mijinkal
11-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

AL

3kills
11-27-2009, 08:44 AM
there is a few white tails in around shae lake. ;)

Steeleco
11-27-2009, 10:24 AM
there is a few white tails in around shae lake. ;)

Agreed, just make sure you know the boundary, it's awful close there!!

3kills
11-27-2009, 03:46 PM
yup it is...however 3-13 is a big area i would go some where that its not so close to region 8

Brizz
11-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Do you hunt there much? I've spent a little time around lawless-britton two seasons ago, and didn't see a single deer. Saw lots of tracks, but no critters....

Hey 270, no I don't normally hunt there usually in 8-5 on the back side of tualameen. The last time I was up there I wasn't looking for tracks I was trying to stay alive and make it out the other side so I wasn't paying much attention but there was TONS of sign...

I know most people know this, but chains don't make you invincible. Be safe out there, carry a come along, shovel, extra food, blankets as mother nature can be a cold unforgiving b$#ch at times.

mijinkal
11-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I headed out on the weekend and checked out Shea Lake. There wasn't much sign at all and I left after a couple hours. The snow wasn't that bad at all in the area, but the roads were fairly icy. There is also a lot of private property in the area so road hunting wasn't too exciting.
I drove a bit closet to Merritt and found an area with enough tracks to keep me around for the weekend. Lots of sign, but no deer. I think I'll go back there next weekend.
The kids came along for a few walks but they're only 5 and 7 so they aren't ready for anything long. I'm not very serious about the hunting wen they're along because I want to keep it as fun as possible for them at this age. My daughter did ask for some camo clothes just like mine for Christmas. She made a point to make shure we didn't get her the pink girly stuff either.
I had to chain up to get out of a few areas I shouldn't have ventured in. I tried out the chains on the rear first and then the front. Chains work 10x better in the front, I won't put them in the rear again unless absolutely necessary.
I took a look at the snow near the toll booth on my way home and it was wet, heavy and deep. It was 8c up there yesterday evening. I wouldn't suggest venturing out there without chains and recovery gear. I'd advise to have another vehicle with you as well.

pete_k
11-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Sounds like you might have a little huntress on your hands?
Glad to see your adventure went OK. And by that I mean not having to dig yourself out and get home by midnight.

I'm late in posting, but I'd suggest down low where the eating and moving around is easy. You may catch a little spiker hangin' with the does. Easier for road hunting

twoSevenO
11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
chains on back of a pickup suck if pickup is not loaded. In that case, they will work much better in the front.

On a jeep, or similar vehicle where the weight is more evenly distributed, they will work better on the rear, as that axle sees more pressure on it when going up hills. (reversing up a hill, i guess it would be the front).

Rule of thumb is better traction with chains on the rear axle
better steering with chains on the front axle.

Sounds like you had fun nonetheless. Too bad Shea didn't work out for you. The second area you moved to, was it still on the east side of the Coq, or did you venture into the west side of the highway?

Cheers :)